Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Before The Mast. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Arrival; English Navy, later open
Topic Started: Mar 4 2011, 03:59 PM (1,459 Views)
Marina Costa
Member Avatar
Governess, Kingston
Civilian Admin
The sailing master was obviously still sleepy, but her greeting made him smile. Then he stretched exactly like the kitty and yawned, asking her why she was awake.

”Of course we aren’t lost, because there are good helmsmen here on the Rose!” she teased him.

Yes, he was good and she had learnt a lot from him, still having enough things left to learn. But once he had set the route, it was the helmsmen’s skill to follow it, so the ship was right on the point only because they had kept the good route. And at his next question, why she was awake when he was half asleep, she grinned:

”Anybody would be awake after a good coffee and four hours spent in the rigging. My watch has just finished, but I won't get to sleep yet.”

Of course she couldn't- there were lots of things still to do aboard... Besides, Marina could wake up at any hour and recover the sleep afterwards, when possible. During the four years spent in the Irish monastery it was worse than aboard the ship, because, besides the lessons, she had also to work in the kitchen.
[align=center]Posted Image
[size0]Quoted theme song || Biography|| Plot Page[/align]
Offline Profile Goto Top

Gareth Sinclair
Unregistered

"Aye, even the sharks deserve better."
Gareth stated dryly. It was clear as day what he thought about Prescott.
"Although it would be a funny sight, a shark with food poisoning..."
Alas, a man could dream...

But the first lieutenants question about the "Fates Hand" made his thoughts return to a more appropriate topic quickly. What did he knew about the "Fates Hand"?

"A fine ship, for sure."
he replied thoughtfully.
"Good crew as well for all I know, not as disciplined as a Navy crew, of course, but not entirely ruffians. They know when to party and when to work and what more can you expect of a privateer crew. The captain sadly fell ill, as far as I know and the first mate is acting captain now. For the better or the worse, this is yet to be seen..."
Goto Top

Mortimer Quinn
Unregistered

"Yes, first mates can be very different from their captains." he thought about Captain Miles, giving a glance in his direction and himself, he sighed.

"And you have surely heard about Le Phenix too, I suppose. What is your point of view related with this little alliance?"

It was little, of course, because they would never hug like brothers, over all not the french navy and less Duval. There was an abyss between their culture, their language and their way to act. He could admire french arts but that was it.

Also the recent episode of Le Phenix made it difficult not to reconsider an alliance with such a ship.
Goto Top

Gareth Sinclair
Unregistered

Gareth sighed and shrugged.
"Well, from what I know there is not much to say about this alliance."
he stated.
"True, England and France had been enemies for centuries. True, there is either much trust or much love lost between or country.
Also true, the "Le Phenix" was defeated by a vessel of a quarter of her size and true, the rumours about why the ship... escaped, cast a more than sinister light on captain Duval. But to me that are emotions, rumours, whispers and ressentiments if I may borrow the word from our new allies. I will try to stick to the facts and the fact is, that France offers us help against our current enemies as well as against the annoying pirates. And after all... you can say what you want, but Duval is rather... young. Well, not compared to us, but to be a captain, a fleet captain, come to that. And I doubt that even his familie influence would have catapulted him up there, if he were completely incompetent. What I am trying to say with that is, we could have had it worse."
Goto Top

Marion Greenwood
Unregistered

”Of course we aren’t lost, because there are good helmsmen here on the Rose!” Marion turned his head towards the young topman with a bitter grin pursing his lips slightly and wrinkling his nose. If he were a betting man, he might have just put a few coins down on having been made fun of. But, of course, he wasn't...atleast not this day.
"Good helmsmen. They're only as good as their information. Sure, sure, they recognize the landmarks and turn the rudder...but would they know how to use the angle of the sun to find their way along a blandless ocean devoid of any markers?" His eyes narrowed towards the target of his conversation, teasing himself in return.
"I didn't think so. They would be just as blnd as the cabin boy in a brothel if it weren't for the Navigator and his Assistant." He sad matter of factly, setting the matter right. As if the fate of the world hung in the balance of his own worth. It was hard to be Marion, having to put up with everyone's jokes and doing so with a smile and a bout of humor. So terribly hard.

"So why is it that your watch is over and you are wide awake and my watch is over and I am ready to fall over?" Marion paused waiting a brief moment for a joke to be thrown back at him. It didn't happen though As the time he alotted for his pupil was brief. Everyone might have to be on top of their game in that regard.
"I suspect your youth has something to do with the blame. You had free reign of patrol, didn't you?" He turned his eyes to poor young Martin.
"You know what we need? We need shore leave...and not on some dainty little island. Do you think we'll ever get orders to sail the East Coast of the Colonies?" He asked, already missing the stabil land and ground, the Oak Trees and shad in a meadow grove along a lazy day. Oh but the adventure about the sea, that's what's kept him here for so long.
Goto Top

Mortimer Quinn
Unregistered

"Indeed, the pirates as allied for example." there was a rogue smile on his lips again. Sinclair spoke neutral and very professional about the French ship and, of course, he had a point there.

"On the other side, alliances like this one have their bad side too. There will be a exchange of knowledge here that can become dangerous in a future. We have to make sure that there is an equally exchange of information between them and us." He leaned against a barrel and looked the sky. This world was known for sudden rain and not precisely for just a few drops, but like waterfalls.

"Will the weather be our allied too?" he wondered and hoped for it. Mother Nature played always an important factor in all battles and on sea even more than on land.
Goto Top

Marina Costa
Member Avatar
Governess, Kingston
Civilian Admin
Marina knew that the sailing master was quite vain, and his question back showed clearly that he wanted to hear more praises for his navigation skills. Well, he deserved them, however... with a twist.

”Here in these waters, and in the deep ocean, I am sure they can’t. Only a navigator can. But there in my corner of the Mediterranean, yes, the helmsmen can. Captains like the men in my family are navigators and helmsmen at the same time. And this is exactly why I want to learn as much as I can of your skills, too,” she smiled, without asking what a brothel was.

She had heard this word in other sailors’ stories, but she had never understood what kind of tavern it was.

”Well, I am just accustomed to it from the years in the monastery. Praying at dawn was a common rule,” she replied with a smile at his question why she was awake.

She didn’t understand the expression “free reign of patrol”, and her puzzled look could show it clearly. There were lots of expressions she didn’t understand yet… But at his words that they needed shore leave, she nodded and smiled widely. Who wouldn’t like shore leave?

”I think your mind is going too far up north, Sir! We have pirates and Spaniards to chase here around, what to seek in the American Colonies? If you say Barbados or Antigua, this sounds more likely, or, even more of a given, Kingston and Nassau. And who knows if our allies don’t invite us to Port de Paix or to Martinique? One can dream to see places he hadn’t before...”

Yes, she had this exploring dream in common with both the sailing master and the first lieutenant.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Marion Greenwood
Unregistered

"Ehh." Marion stretched trying to keep himself awake. Now that it was morning they were sure to start the Captain's orders. The Sail Master had no desire to be caught dead asleep when the Captain called for all hands. That might have made for a day he would have wished he was dead and not asleep.
"You flatter me entirely too much." The words were spoken not paying heed to the rest of the sentence about sailing in the Mediterranean. That wasn't to say he hadn't heard them, he just didn't care to hear he was wrong.

Hearing the young man's words about prayer at dawn and the monasety filled Marion with a small fret. Amoment passed when he worried he would be postylized to about leading a righteous life. He gave those thoughts up the moment he learned that the preacher of his home town had been caught in a scandal years ago. There was much relief when the topic changed.

"My mind probably is. Sadly, I miss Connecticut. There are no orange Maple leaves on the ocean. But, I suposse you're correct. Pirates and islands." A final stretch extended his arms to get the blood flowing again.
Goto Top

Marina Costa
Member Avatar
Governess, Kingston
Civilian Admin
Obviously the sailing master was half asleep already, stretching like Midori the kitty, and probably dreaming of his natal shores. Marina got the confirmation that she wasn’t wrong when he admitted that he was missing his American homeland.

”Are you regretting that you chose fighting pirates instead of Indians?” she teased him a little, not so sure what kind of tree maple was. ”Isn’t the prize money worth it more here? And seeing places you wouldn’t have otherwise?”

He used to tell her stories from his country, and she had told him the stories of the Greek islands, so she knew well he hadn’t been fighting the Indians there.

Anyway, missing the land was natural… But if speaking about missing some trees, she would miss the cypress trees, the myrthle and the laurels.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Marion Greenwood
Unregistered

Marion grinned with a half humored and half amused smirk. Her words had struck a cord with him. Prize money, indeed.
"Prize money is not what I'm after. Don't get me wrong, moeny is what makes the world go round and without it a simple man would have nothing. It's definitely something to attain. But that's not my motivations, little man." Marion reached out and clutched Martin's shoulder pulling him a little tighter as if those words were the secrets to the enlightenment of all men. Together, Marion next to Martin, he led the other in a short and slow walk along the length of the deck.

"Pirates, Indians...they're all the same. Although I must admit the pirates have a substantial bout of technology over the natives of the colonies. But they each seek to protect the same things, their own ways of life. The pirates way of life just happens to be theivery and murder." Releasing his younger pupil, Marion turned to face the other more so to emphasize the last few words of his small speech about thieving and murderousness.

"So...tell me more about the Greek isles. Is it true that ruins of the ancient world dot the landscape as much as everyone says they do?" Marion would love to move over to Greece and see the lands through the eyes of an adventurer. Mapping out islands of significance and helping others to remember their relevance from history.
Goto Top

Marina Costa
Member Avatar
Governess, Kingston
Civilian Admin
If the sailing master wasn’t after prize money, she was. She was perfectly aware that her time in the Navy was three more years the most, and that she needed all the savings she could get. This was why she had taken since last autumn Lt. Allistar’s advice, who explained her about banks as the best way to save money, and she stashed hers in Kingston, exactly like him.

”It might be not a motivation, but it is surely something to stimulate our efforts when feeling blue,” she smiled.

His hand on her shoulder gave her the impulse needed to follow him along the deck, listening in concentration at the words about pirates and Indians. It was not exactly what she wanted to know, but well…

”I know about pirates, not only from here, aboard the Rose, since we are fighting them for almost one year. My parents’ ship had been attacked by the Barbary pirates once, too, I was about ten. We managed to escape them, but with yards and sails damaged, and the foremast nearly broken,” she mumbled, just before hearing a new question.

Obviously she was always ready to tell some stories from her far away seas…

”There are ancient ruins in some places, indeed. And some people dig their gardens, as I have heard, and find coins or pieces of statues or something, but not on all islands.”

She was ready to say more, but the cook called for breakfast. A well deserved pause, because afterwards she knew that more tasks were in store for her. Of course the warrant officers like Mr. Greenwood didn’t eat at the same mess with the topmen, so they had to part.

”I think later in the evening we’ll have more time for stories,” she told him with a smile.

[align=center] - THE END - [/align]
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Uncharted Seas · Next Topic »
Locked Topic