Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Before The Mast. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Seeking The Path Of Revenge; att. Micah Silva
Topic Started: Jun 28 2013, 03:54 PM (604 Views)
NPC

Civilian
[align=center] Posted Image
DON FERRAN MONCADA BALAGUER, Spanish Admiral[/align]

[align=center] Date: 27-th of November 1719
Place: Havana, Cuba, in the Admiral’s Office[/align]

The Spanish Admiral’s office was full of maps... fuller than usual. A table was covered with a huge map, having coloured little marks on it where allegedly the British, the French and the privateers were gathered in a greater number. But he had no illusions. His little spies, the blockade runners, could not do much. Moreover, the intelligence, even incomplete as it was, couldn’t make up for the fact that no Spanish ship could enter or exit any of the ports of Cuba. And damn, they were expecting ships from Mexico and from Nueva Granada.

At least he had no reason to worry for his daughter anymore – she was for a few months already in Spain, with his sister. She had been introduced to the court, and she lived the life which was proper to her. Soon he hoped to receive a letter that she was already engaged. Well, as soon as the blockade was over. And yes, this was the straw in his eye; he hated feeling his Navy helpless. And he hated even more when he learnt who exactly was the leader of the enemy navies. Now Rear-Admiral, it was the same flag captain who had taken his daughter prisoner and wanted to dishonour her. Roser had told him everything – or so he believed. He still had no idea that she had followed the pirates by her own will.

This was a personal reason added to the patriotic duty of getting rid of a dangerous enemy. Don Ferran contemplated various solutions, until his spies had told him that a young mercenary was on the island. He had no idea who had employed him, and it mattered less, given that the result of his magistral work had been to reduce to silence a nobleman who was don Ferran’s opponent, and the Governor’s right hand. A good job that don Ferran would only praise, not condemn. Well, the mercenary was young. If the blockade was not in force, that only birds could fly to Nueva Granada, another one would have been the Admiral’s choice. El Moreno, whom he had employed before. But now he had no choice than using the young one, who had been good at killing but not as good at covering all his traces. Fortunately, the one who had seen him was the Admiral’s man, not the Governor’s or the Fort Commander’s. So, the youngster, still trapped in Havana due to the blockade, had been approached and invited to a secret meeting. He was the one the Admiral was waiting for now.

[align=center] This post has been written by ELENA[/align]
Offline Profile Goto Top

Micah Silva
Member Avatar
Assassin/ Tavern boy
Civilian
Micah was more than aware of the blockade of Cuba. In fact it was already beginning to make him feel caged and he did not like that sensation in the least. He'd found work at a small inn during the day which guaranteed him a warm place to sleep. Truthfully he could have paid for his own room, but his money might need to last longer than anticipated. He'd found enough other work as well. Political intrigues paid well, but jilted lovers paid better, and none so well as the French and Spanish. Being Spanish himself he had inevitably found his way to Havana, now he was wondering how intelligent of a decision that was.

He'd been plying his services with care, but at the same time he was still establishing himself so he did leave a calling card of sorts instead of covering his tracks. Only those who knew what to look for would see it, but for those observant ones, it was clear that The Songbird was in Havana. So it shouldn't have surprised him when he was approached by a man who said he worked for the Admiral. Such a job could pay extremely well, and while he wasn't greedy, he had a living to make. He had agreed, and was about to state his terms when he was in no uncertain way told how things would go. That should have been his first tip-off.

The Songbird had a certain way he went about things and first and foremost he did not meet with clients beforehand in person. Everything was always taken care of by an intermediary. This was for his own protection as well as reducing the fact that he was often underestimated, or worse, questioned. He swore softly to himself as he ghosted through the hall toward the Admiral's office. He had debated how to handle this, and had come fully dressed in black as if he were on the hunt at that very moment, and while he appeared unarmed, he had his Venetian pistol crossbow with him. It was carefully concealed but he would have been naive to come without some form of protection.

He stopped in front of the door and more firmly slid into his Songbird persona. Micah would have no place in this meeting. reaching a hand up, he rapped sharply on the door to announce himself and at hearing a response from inside the room, he opened the door and gracefully slipped inside. Dark brown eyes quickly took in the details of the office, noting any escape should things go badly and he have need of it, before focusing on the Admiral. His Spanish came out quick and smooth when he spoke, showing effortlessly that he was a native Spaniard.

"Good evening Admiral. This sort of meeting is not how I usually conduct business, but your man refused to hear otherwise." He approached several steps, and leaned against the map-covered table, eyes flicking down to look over them. "As he seemed so insistent, I suppose I should ask what it is I can do for you?" Looking up once more he met the man's gaze so he could gauge his reaction.
[align=center]Posted Image
Posted Image[/align]
Offline Profile Goto Top

NPC

Civilian

Admiral Moncada looked at the youngster he hadn’t seen before. He didn’t look older than sixteen, even if he was tall and lithe. For a moment, he doubted him. Then, looking at the lad’s poise, and remembering what was said about him, he chased away the doubts. He would have thought twice if to give him such an assignment, but he had no choice. With this blockade, he couldn’t call for anybody from the mercenary den in Maracaibo. And the Songbird was already getting known. He hoped also, with that Catalan sense of economy, that being young, his services would come cheaper than El Moreno’s would have. At the same time, given the target… it was less likely to happen. He was realistic.

The youngster was direct and business focused, and the old man wasn’t sure if to like it or not. But in these difficult times, indeed, it might have been a sign of wisdom. He chuckled at the idea that he had unsettled somehow the mercenary by his way of inviting him directly to his office.

”I don’t doubt that there are other kind of intermediaries in Maracaibo than the one I sent for you. That is the way how I usually conduct business too… only that we are here now, in the existing conditions that you know already. And since you might be wishing to leave this cage and do your business wherever you have good paying customers, we have a common goal. I have an idea how it could be achieved,” he smiled strangely.

Time to put words to his thoughts of revenge.

”There is a French ship in the blockade, Le Phenix. It’s big, a third rate, and it’s their flagship. You would see on it this flag,” he showed the Rear-Admiral’s pennant, scribbled and coloured on a paper. Rear Admiral Raoul Etienne Duval is there, and it’s his hide I want. Do your patriotic duty… and have them spread like scared birds without their leader!”

The old Admiral felt as if he was speaking in front of his Navy men, before a fight, thing which had happened so often. Then, remembering that only the patriotic duty was not enough, he looked at the youngster, asking him:

”You get any preparatory expenses you need and an advance before. The remaining sum after you complete the deed. Name your price!”

He was aware this was going to be risky.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Micah Silva
Member Avatar
Assassin/ Tavern boy
Civilian
He quirked a brow at the man's strange smile. It made the hairs on the back of his neck prickle and brought some of Juan's warnings to the forefront of his mind. It could mean his employer was more deadly than his prey, and Juan had always warned him to be more cautious with those sort. He made his mental notes as the man went on because he had made the point that they were in a cage, and yes he wanted out of it. What he wouldn't give to be able to contact his mentor right now. Juan's wisdom had always proved invaluable. The best he could do right now was recall the man's lessons and stick with his gut instincts.

He kept his expression opaque as the Admiral laid out his target. The French Rear-Admiral, on the man's own flagship? Did he really just hear that? Patriotic duty his ass! This was a risky, let alone near-suicidal mark. Now he knew why the man's expression had made him uncomfortable. There was no room to say no here and walk out without repercussions. This was indeed a fine line he was now walking. He gave the Admiral a slight nod and crossed his arms over his chest to let him know he was thinking.

He was going to have to attempt this, and on the chance he pulled it off, he'd get more than just the money, but the notoriety as well. Taking out a mark at sea had it's risks, most notably his escape. He moved over to the map and looked at the ship positions and where they were in reference to Cuba. One slender hand reached out and traced a few lines as if to check something. After another moment, he looked back up at the Admiral. "I can see from your expression you understand the risk. That's good. I'll need a few days and some required preparations before I can even attempt this."

He took a step back and tapped his lips with one finger, something he did often when in thought. "I'm going to need a copy of the general layout of a ship like that so I can plan, and access to a smaller ship, something that could be easily seen as a blockade runner to get me close enough where I can get into the water by the ship. The ship can retreat then, perhaps make a show of it to provide a good distraction. That will be your expense to cover, the rest I can handle myself for there is little I need."

He moved back in and picked up a quill and section of blank parchment paper. With a few quick strokes he wrote down his price. It seemed reasonable to him and he pushed it towards the Admiral. His script was very neat, showing he had learning, although that wasn't something he thought about when doing it. "This is my price as far as the money goes. the only other thing I would ask is if I do not return I want a letter sent to my mentor in Maracaibos at The Armory of San Juan to let him know of my fate. He will know what to do from there."
Posted Image[/align]
Offline Profile Goto Top

NPC

Civilian

The Admiral was looking at the youngster, but a mercenary, albeit young, was schooled enough not to show anything on his face. But the nod showed that the young man was still pondering over the offer, and it was also a good thing. The Songbird’s next move, to the map and tracing routes, showed the same thing. He was searching for a solution to accomplish the deed. Maybe Admiral Moncada had made a good choice, even if there were not many other options whom else to choose.

”Of course I understand. You’ll have the time and help as you need it.”

It didn’t look like the French and Brits were going to leave anytime soon, so…

The young man’s requests were reasonable.

”You will have them all. The layout is more or less… orientative, because the French third rates we had worked with when they were our allies were slightly older than this one. However, the Captain’s quarters are the same, and he shares them with the Admiral now, that he’s aboard.”

The price was a good one… but matching the target and the risk. He had nothing to haggle about.

”You have my word it would happen as you wish,” he said on a serious tone, meeting his gaze. ”I hope not to be the case, though. I need you alive and victorious.”

This was true. He hated the damn French pompous ass too much - more as an outraged father than as a war enemy. He wanted to avenge Roser’s humiliation.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Micah Silva
Member Avatar
Assassin/ Tavern boy
Civilian
He nodded at the man's response about the ship layout. Orientative would have to work. He only needed it one for the location of the Rear-Admiral's quarters, and in case he had to stow-away for a while as an escape. He didn't relish the thought of that option, but any number of situations he had to be prepared for. That way he could think more clearly on his feet should, God forbid, anything goes wrong. The price seemed to be accepted and that was good. He didn't feel it was exorbitant or any such thing, but it was still a fair amount above his usual charge considering the extreme chance of bodily harm or capture, both if he was truly unlucky. That thought did make his stomach churn a bit.

When the Admiral spoke again he looked up and met his gaze. He would send word to Juan, which was good. "Of course, Admiral. I do not intend to die, or God forbid it, fall into enemy hands after my deed is done. I have yet to fail to kill a mark. I do not plan to do so now." He wasn't worried about not being able to kill his mark; his escape was what was going to prove problematic. "I will devise some sort of method to signal when I need retrieved. Although I do enjoy swimming, this is a bit too much of a distance." The Songbird had moved back over to the map. He studied it again and made note to take his own small map of Cuba with him.

"I only have a few more questions for you Admiral, then we can part ways and my preparations can begin. Do you wish for his death to be swift or would you prefer I use poison and he die painfully?" Such words coming out of one who seemed so young might be jarring, as it was merely as though he were asking about the weather, not if the person he was to kill should suffer. "Also, do you wish him to know who sent me before he dies?"
Posted Image[/align]
Offline Profile Goto Top

NPC

Civilian

The Admiral chuckled too at the lad’s humour. If he could joke with a danger to himself, this meant he had the necessary cold blood to actually do the deed.

”Tomorrow you’ll have the ship plans. And I hope you don’t, too” he referred in one word both about failing and getting harmed.

Ultimately, if the mercenary got caught alive and tortured to tell who had sent him, it wouldn’t be good at all.

”You’ll have a cutter available, these are the best blockade runners, and really fast and flexible when you need them to be. They will look at your signals and they are there to help you as you need them to.”

As he got closer to the map, the Admiral kept silent for a little while, letting the mercenary to think more. He might have new questions or requests, and this would be reasonable.

The exact questions he received were unexpectedly pleasant. He hadn’t thought about this.

”Your safety and his death are the most important. But if I have the option for him to die painfully, I would enjoy it. And yes, I’d like he knew that Admiral Moncada had this to pay him for his kind hospitality…”

Yes, a warm hospitality indeed, having sunk the ship, taken his daughter prisoner and intending to dishonour her… Pirates had proven being more chivalrous in this case!

Offline Profile Goto Top

Micah Silva
Member Avatar
Assassin/ Tavern boy
Civilian
Cold Blood. Was this really how he was perceived? Had those thoughts been voiced he would have been slightly taken aback. It was more like all business in his mind. For one as young as he plied himself to be to manage seeming cold-blooded to another, much older, person was a strange feat. Would it not make the person wonder what could have caused such? Not to mention how he seemed jovial and warm while he worked at the tavern during the daytime hours. He'd never been asked before by any client, merely by Juan, what had made him able to do what he did. What had been said during that discussion had saddened the old mercenary, but in the end he'd nodded and accepted it all the same.

"Tomorrow will be acceptable for the ship plans. Your man knows where he can find me. A cutter is perfect. I will communicate my possible needs to the captain and crew when the time comes." That would make things easier. Cutters were indeed the perfect choice for blockade runners so it would make the deception all the more realistic. The more it was believed, the less it would be looked into when events transpired.

He gave a decisive nod. So there was history other than the blockade between the two? It almost seemed that way with the words from the Admiral, and the tone used. "I have quite the same priorities Admiral, but we will see what I can do to fulfill your request in its entirety." He had one final request as he'd finished his preliminary calculations in his mind. "I will need one last thing if it can be procured for me. A portrait, or failing that a mostly accurate description of the Rear Admiral. It can be delivered when I meet the cutter. I need it no earlier than that." Portraits given too early risked him having time to ponder his target. He much preferred to stay detached.

One slender hand reached up and tapped his lips as he made his final calculation. "I will require three days to make my preparations. On the eve of the third day I will meet the cutter at the dock. Unless you have further requests of me, Admiral Moncada, I shall take my leave and begin those preparations."
Posted Image[/align]
Offline Profile Goto Top

NPC

Civilian

The Admiral nodded, liking the youngster’s business approach.

”The captain will be informed to stay at your disposal and to meet your requirements,” he said promptly.

The lad’s plan had great potential to succeed.

”If he dies without learning who has sent you, it won’t be a big deal, as long as the end result is the same: he dies, you stay alive to report it back. But I appreciate you having asked about it.”

This deserved his respect to a good mercenary. The part with the portrait, though, was more complicated. The man hadn’t been for a long time in the Caribbean, and he had been appointed as a rear admiral only a few months ago.

”I think I’d manage to obtain an accurate description for you, checked from two –three sources, and not a portrait. Unfortunately, he has none I am aware of.”

As the Songbird required three days for the preparations, the Admiral accepted. It made perfect sense.

”You will be expected, in three days’ time, at the dock, to join the cutter Alondra. Her captain will help you with anything else you need. Upon successfully returning, you’ll receive the complete amount of money. I wish you good luck.”

He watched the young man being accompanied away. If he succeeded, Don Ferran Moncada would really feel avenged. And a national hero too, gaining the King's favours.

[align=center] – THE END -

This post has been written by ELENA[/align]
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · Uncharted Seas · Next Topic »
Locked Topic