Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Before The Mast. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
An Unexpected Proposal; att. Sebastien
Topic Started: Nov 6 2013, 03:09 AM (1,141 Views)
Sol Galvez
Member Avatar
Captain of the "Rising Sun"
Pirate Admin
[align=center] Date: 10-th of December 1719
Place:Aboard the Rising Sun, in the open seas [/align]

The battle had ended for a while. The looted goods got carried aboard the ”Rising Sun” in order to ease the prize ship’s load and facilitate its patching up as needed to arrive to Tortuga. The wounded pirates were in the sickbay, tended by Sara and Leif. The dead ones were accounted for, ready to be sewn in their hammocks according to the tradition.

The Dutch merchant sailors of the boarded ship took care of their own dead; then the living ones were left adrift, in their ship’s boats, with enough supplies with them not to die of thirst or hunger. This was how Sol was usually doing; he didn’t like to kill unless there was no other way around. If they were lucky, another ship would fish them out. Or they might arrive to an island around. Maybe they wouldn’t be as unlucky as to land among their enemies in Cuba.

The Dutch flute they had boarded, called “Hazewind”, had been quite damaged by the broadsides, otherwise it wouldn’t have surrendered. Still, it could be sailed. It was not often that pirates took a ship as a prize; usually they didn’t bother to do it, but the hurricane of two months ago had damaged and sunk enough pirates’ and smugglers’ ships, so the pirate captain had the feeling that, if properly repaired, this could be sold well in Tortuga. He thought the customers would most likely be smugglers, not pirates, given the special construction of the fluyt for cargo and not much for fighting.

Now that they had got a prize ship, it was the time to establish the crew meant to sail it.

”Angel, remain aboard this ship and sail it safely to Basse Terre! Nails, Baptiste, Ellis, Manuel, go with him! Whom else you want in your crew, Angel?”

The sailing master answered, requesting a few more crewmen – not more than actually needed to sail that ship to safety.

”Nails and Baptiste, you are there in order to make all the quick repairs you can, so that it arrives well in Tortuga and we can sell it immediately.”

The ones dessignated to remain aboard the prize ship followed the order.

Sol had been reported the complete situation of the crew. There have been fatal wounds. There had been severely or less severely wounded men, about whom Sara would tell him details later. And ke knew also who was reported as missing and why. He had been on the deck, seeing the disastruous effects of the enemy’s cannonade. Its blow had swept several men from the deck, and when he had looked to see if there was any of them attempting to get to surface, to be thrown a rope or helped somehow back, there had been none seen. This meant they were already severely wounded or dead when swept off.

There were a few good men to mourn after this successful hit, he mused.
[align=center]Posted Image
[size0]||Quoted theme song||Biography||Plot Page||
Thank you, Jouko, for the signature![/align]
Offline Profile Goto Top

Andrea Costa
Member Avatar
Sailing Master on the "Rising Sun"
Pirate Admin
Andrea liked the fluyt he had been ordered to sail to Tortuga. This was a beauty of 200 tons, square rigged, with three masts, the dream of any merchant captain or smuggler. The presence aboard of Nails, Baptiste and a few others who had enough wood-related knowledge in order to help them reassured him that it would be repaired and that they could arrive to Basse Terre without sailing related incidents.

His heart pounded in his chest, as he was proud of the honour and the trust his captain had in him. He had expected Sol to send Luc with the fluyt, as he knew the man was more experienced than Andrea. However, it seemed he was the chosen one, and he swore not to disappoint his captain.

Once the grappling hooks were taken off and the ships could get farther one from the other, Andrea got ready to give the needed orders to the riggers, trying to focus exclusively on his new responsibilities.

Mourning for the dead friends now would be of no use. There was a time for this too. Probably when arriving to Tortuga and paying for a mass for their souls. He didn’t envy the captain and the quartermaster, though, who would have to bring bad news to those who were waiting for some of those meant to never return. Everybody knew that Rose was Cesar’s girl, and that Kanyi had brought his sister to Tortuga a few weeks ago – and now they were among those lost in this battle. He knew that Nicolas had been quite close to Ayiana as well.

”See you all in Tortuga Bay, and have fair winds until then!” he wished the crew of the ”Rising Sun” upon departure.
||Biography||Plotting||Quoted theme song||

[size0]Thanks to Patrick of Souls on Fire and Pompeii for the graphic set![/align]
Offline Profile Goto Top

Nails
Member Avatar
Carpenter and spy
Pirate
Quick repairs.

Nails looked at Babtiste and raised his eyebrows, such was the life of a carpenter, he doubted many of the pirates felt the same as he did about his craft after all his was a love of what he built. Time and time again he repaired the ship; put loving care into making it look beautiful as well as just seaworthy, only to watch his beautiful work be shot at, blown apart and thrown overboard when times needed the ship lighter.

Yet it was his life now, no devious undercurrents, no hidden agenda, at least with the Dutch ship he would literally have to just make it ‘do’ and leave the next carpenter to bring the ship back to life.

‘ Aye Captain’
He waited till all orders were given out, then without further ado went to the side of the ship, and moved as swiftly as he could to his bunk, down in the hatch and disappeared inside only to reappear with his belt in place around his hips, work tools in place, hair braided back and out of the way of the glue and tar he would have to use later, ready to do just as requested, a long sail pulled up either side in a make ship bag holding his stores as he passed them back across the ships with Babtiste and laid them to the side, before helping unengage the hooks and loosen the ships from each other.

Watching Sol drift a little to a safe distance he lifted his hand to say his own farewell to those alive and those that had departed this life.
||Biography||
Posted Image
[/align]
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sebastien Durand
Member Avatar
Caught in the Downward Spiral
Pirate
Sebastien hadn't had such a good fight in too long. As soon as they'd been in range, he'd been over with a boarding crew. The Dutch were normally a nice prize and being able to sell the ship and while it was a profit, it was also a help to a Captain that lost theirs in the hurricane. He'd sustained several minor injuries, nothing that prevented him from helping move cargo over and secure the ships. Both had taken some pretty good damage, but the fluyt would be in repair far longer form the broadsides she took courtesy of the Rising Sun's cannonade. Men had been lost on both sides, but he was trying not to think about that yet. There would be time to drink in their honor when they returned to Tortuga and were sitting once more in the Elixir enjoying Belle's warm hospitality.

He listened to the call out for sailors who'd be staying aboard and when he heard he wasn't he made his way back over to the pirate ship with the remaining boarding crew. "Have fun sailing that beast, Angel!" He called back over to the sailing Master. He started to help with the ropes as well and gave Nail a nod. "You should be pretty good at fixing canon holes by now, I'd think." He teased the man before pulling the last rope and hook free. With a very Durand grin he chuckled and was off. He'd been his playful self as of late, and was hoping eventually it'd make the carpenter less wary around him.

Looking around as they drifted free of the fluyt, he caught sight of Sol. He made his way over to him and was all serious once again. "What are your thoughts, Captain? It's a nice prize, and although we lost some good men, that's a risk we take in our lifestyle, non?" He looked over where the dead were being tended to. “How many, or are we even sure yet?” He was sure sickbay was working on the wounded, and likely some of the more severely wounded could succumb to their wounds and increase the death toll as things went on.
Posted Image Posted Image[/align]
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sol Galvez
Member Avatar
Pirate Admin
Sol looked at Angel, Nails and the others who were leaving aboard the prize ship, waving at them, and smiling at Luc’s way of saying good bye to them. The fluyt got pulled by the wind farther and farther after the boarding party returned to the ”Rising Sun”.

Yes, Luc had fought well – something expected from him. And seeing his grin reminded Sol about the current predicaments. He smiled back, then, once feeling securely the deck of their ship under his feet and giving the orders his riggers awaited in order to sail smoothly to Basse Terre, he was ready to answer Luc’s questions.

”My thoughts? Good prize, but high price, even if it comes with our lifestyle, as you have said. This is exactly why I hate guns and I prefer blades.”

The details that it came with the lifestyle weren’t going to be any comfort for a grieving sister or lover, he thought, as he would be the one to bring the bad news.

”I am sure about those being sewn in their hammocks, and about those swept off by the cannonade,” he said. ”Not sure how serious the wounds in the sickbay are, and if Sara is able to save them all.”

He looked seriously, but friendly at the son of the famous Jackal, once a pirate captain in his right.

”Luc, I have a proposal for you. Would you like, from now on, one share and a quarter? You can bring this ship to Tortuga Bay without my contribution as a start!”

He wasn’t able to say the words properly, as he had lost Cesar, his first mate and friend, swept off together with another Frenchman, Nicolas, while they attempted to kill the Dutch gunners with their muskets. It had dawned on him when he asked Angel to sail the fluyt, that if he needed a new first mate now, the most fitting one, as experience in both sailing and fighting, would be Luc.

”If everything goes well, tomorrow you’ll move your hammock to the cabin on larboard and you’ll go to Pieter to update you in the ship roster.”

He had succeeded to convey something to the man. Now it remained to be seen if Luc agreed with the responsibility of being the first mate of the ”Rising Sun.”
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sebastien Durand
Member Avatar
Pirate
Sebastien didn't envy Sol's position. In fact he terrible for the pirate Captain he'd come to respect as a friend and brother-in-arms. He too had been the one to bring back the lists of the fallen and give news to loved ones that they would never see their husband, brother, or son again. There was never an easy way to do it, and the fallen crewman's share was cold comfort. "Sara is a talented young woman and a fine doctor. I'm sure they will have their best chances at her expert hands." He wasn't a fan of doctors when it came to his own wounds, but that was a personal issue. He had nothing against Sara and she did keep the crew patched up exceptionally well. Once things were calmed own and fully assessed a worn-out Sara would surely inform the Captain. He'd seen it enough times to know.

He caught the look from Sol and arched a brow as the question was voiced. Wait a minute. Was Sol asking him what he thought he was asking him? There was only one thing that meant. They'd lost Cesar. His own expression turned serious and mirrored Sol's. He took a moment to process that, and what Sol was offering. It was unexpected, he would have thought Angel the one to move up, not him. To the crew he was a decent fighter and a rigger, not leadership material. This would change things he knew, yet he also had to respect that Sol knew what he was doing here. Finally he inclined his head in acceptance. "It saddens me to know why you are offering this, when we go into these risks we think ourselves invincible in the rush of battle. It's never a good feeling to have that wool pulled away from our eyes is it? I accept, Sol and will do my best for you in this elevated position of responsibility."

He made note of what he'd need to take care of. Not the least getting this ship back to Basse Terre in one, well mostly one, piece. He could catch Pieter at dinner if he didn't see the man before that. "I would question your choice in making me this offer, but I will merely trust you know what you're doing, mon Capitan." Grey eyes sparked with a bit of his returned humor even in this dark situation. "Perhaps you will let me buy you a drink once we are settled back in at Belle's?"
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sol Galvez
Member Avatar
Pirate Admin
Sol nodded at the appreciation about Sara. He was right.

”I know she does everything she can. Unfortunately, nobody has a pact with God. Or with that lady in black.”

He followed with eager eyes the reaction to his veiled question. Yes, Sol couldn’t bring himself to ask directly the one whom he thought best to step into Cesar’s still warm proverbial boots. But Luc had to understand, and he did.

And Luc’s answer came, honest and direct. Sol was glad he accepted.

”Thank you, my friend!” he said simply.

Luc was the only one he trusted in this position, out of the present crew. Angel was too young for this. He needed more time to learn – and a captain didn’t only sail a ship to destination, he also led in fight. Angel was good at leading himself in a fencing duel, nothing more. He might become some day a captain, but not a pirate captain. A merchant one or a smuggler, sure.

Now it was Luc’s turn to have questions why he had been asked – and he received the answer promptly.

”The dare of having the ship command to Basse Terre remains in place, more for the others than for me. I know from that journal what you can do, and this is exactly why I have chosen you.”

As he offered a drink at the “Elixir”, Sol smiled:

”Of course you will give a round. Maybe not only to me… since you are the first mate now!”

As there was nobody around to eavesdrop, he remembered to ask something he had wanted to ask from the start:

”What happened to your ship? I understood you have it hidden somewhere… why and how?”
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sebastien Durand
Member Avatar
Pirate
He chuckled a bit and shook his head. If Sol was sure, and the man seemed sure of this, then that was all the more he needed to know. The journal had contained quite a few things in it, and given how much time the other man had been in possession of it there was little doubt now he knew just what Sebastien could do. Including, but not limited to some of his past crimes. Piracy could be messy. He'd never gone out of his way to hurt innocent people, but he wasn't afraid to make sure those who tried to hurt him and his crew paid for it. "I can get us to Basse Terre, no need to worry about that. We'll be waiting there when Angel and the others arrive." He headed up towards the helm and motioned the other sailor off. "Go see to the repairs. We need to get underway as soon as possible." He laughed at the added comment about buying drinks.

"Oh I see. Going to play that card after I accept hmm?" He was teasing of course and it would show in the humor in his grey eyes. Sebastien had no problem buying drinks. He'd done it a few times as it was. "I'm sure the influx of coins will be welcome to Belle, and I will try to keep my own drinking in check." He'd actually been much improved on that front too.

He paused thoughtfully at the question asked. His ship. It was surprising to him that it hadn't come up yet. Sol must have been waiting for just the right time, and with the crew busy there were no extra ears around. A thoughtful frown crossed his face as he considered how best to approach this somewhat sensitive topic. "Hidden, yes. She was wounded gravely by the battle with the Navy when I lost my sister. I knew of a nearby cavern that opened to the sea and managed to limp her in there. What was left of my crew and I beached her and took the longboats out into the open ocean and were picked up by a friend who saw us to Tortuga. I've gone back to check on her a few times, but she'd need quite the overhaul to ever be seaworthy again, I'm afraid."
Offline Profile Goto Top

Sol Galvez
Member Avatar
Pirate Admin
Sol nodded at Luc’s reassurance.

”I am not worrying about this, but I am glad that everybody will see it. And I don’t doubt we’ll wait for him, because his prize is more damaged. Yes, they have Nails and Baptiste aboard… but can they perform really miracles?”

He was merely realistic in his approach. Then, he laughed at Luc’s teasing about giving a round to all the crewmates.

”No, it just came with the new position,” he answered. ”And I am glad that you have learnt the same thing I have. It is important, especially for a leader.”

He hadn’t learnt it from the beginning either. The result was that some people had paid their risky comments with their life. He was violent when drunk. And he might slip once in a while, if not careful, but he trusted, in these cases, also Maribel’s and Minette’s eyes. They knew him, they knew when not to fill his glass anymore.

Sol had wanted to ask about Luc’s ship for a while, but the right time seemed to be right now.

”Well, some day you may do it, if you save aside a great part of your shares from Inagua on. That part of two treasure chests, with what was yours from last month’s prey and what will be yours now, might add to something if well invested. But don’t ask me about investment, ask Maribel. She has a better business spirit than me. I am not ashamed to admit that she taught me to save my money.”

Most pirates didn’t, and when retiring, their fortune didn’t last long.

[align=center] - THE END - [/align]
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · The "Rising Sun" · Next Topic »
Locked Topic