Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Before The Mast. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
A Special Christmas Gift; Will, Julia
Topic Started: Feb 26 2014, 08:33 PM (1,091 Views)
NPC

Civilian
[align=center]Posted Image
HANNAH HARRISON, ladies' maid

Date: 31-st of December 1719, late at night
Place: Potter Cay, in the Bahamas Archipelago, close to New Providence
[/align]

Hannah couldn't believe Julia was still sick. The poor thing. To be sick on the eve of the New Year of all days! The midwife had said it was entirely normal for someone in her... condition, but Julia hadn't even had the chance to tell Will about that condition.

Forget conditions. Forget normal. Christmas time wasn't normal, the whole twelve days of it. It was the birth of Christ, and therefore the ending of Mary's ...condition! The irony was killing her. Hannah was going to bring Julia a slice of her favorite plum cake and some peppermint tea before she dressed her for the ball, and that was that!

Before she had even set the first foot on the stairs, though, she heard movement, and saw Julia, pale but smiling, on the stairs.

"Plum cake? Oh, Hannah, you didn't have to-. Someone else could have-. "

Hannah smiled. "I know. But you've been sick, and besides, don't you have a gift to give to somebody? It is much easier accomplished- giving that kind of gift- by a fire, with a piece of plum cake in your lap and your lover's hand in yours. Or maybe the lover in your lap and the plum cake in your hand... how do I know?"

Either sounded good to her, and apparently to Julia too. Hearing her laugh did Hannah's soul good.

[align=center]This post has been written by JOELLE[/align]
Offline Profile Goto Top

Julia Webster
Member Avatar
Lady
Civilian
Julia laughed, a full on laugh like she hadn't felt like doing in so long. Hannah was always a hopeless romantic, but then, maybe she had a point. Julia and Will had waited so long to be blessed with a child. It should be romantic and special when she told him.

She sort of wished there was no ball to go to tonight, so that the news could be theirs alone. God only knew what the men aboard Will's ship would say when they found out. She could hear them now. "Perhaps you weren't as sick as you thought, Lieutenant...."

She blushed.

And smiled.

And- good Lord, was her dress going to fit? Her chest had begun to swell recently, and besides being uncomfortable, that was a worry too.

"Oh no," Julia whispered.

Hannah caught her look of embarrassment. "I took the liberty of having it taken out a few inches... don't worry."

Julia managed a weak grin as she went back up the stairs. When Hannah was done helping her into the dress, both of them came downstairs. Hannah busied herself with poking the fire a few times to see if it needed more logs, then left to get ready for the ball herself as Julia sat in front of the fire with her cake, promising to return to do her makeup after she had eaten.

Good. She was alone. Now, where was Will?
Posted Image
||Biography||Quoted theme song||
[size0]Thank you,Mascha, for the graphic set![/align]
Offline Profile Goto Top

William Webster
Member Avatar
First Lieutenant on the HMS Sovereign
English Navy
Having a ball to attend seemed like a good way to spend the time ashore and surely it would do Julie some good to come out a bit as well. Will suspected that she spent most of her time at home alone when he was at sea and it bothered him that she was so lonely. Especially because she was so a loving, caring soul and she had the beauty to never be alone. But still she was and Will felt sorry for her. She was his wife and he was never home to be with her.

This night he wouldn’t leave her side and as he was getting into his uniform he thought about how to make her less lonely. She had spoken of getting a pet but Will figured that while he could give her a puppy then it seemed like a poor solution in the long run and if she instead could get a couple of friends to spend her time with that would be much better. Once he was dressed he moved in to find Julia. She knew that she was probably getting ready as well but since they were married he didn’t think it such a bit problem to see her if she was not yet ready yet. “Julia dear, are you ready?
Posted Image[/align]
Offline Profile Goto Top

Julia Webster
Member Avatar
Lady
Civilian
"I'm almost ready, just waiting on the makeup, but I thought I'd have a piece of plum cake first. Also there is a gift for you, one I needed to be sure to tell you about. You can come in if you'd like."

She wasn't sure how to begin, but she was sure that it was possible he'd be worried at seeing how pale she was. She wasn't sure even Hannah could make her look less pale.
She swallowed a bite of her cake.

"Remember how sick you were, and how that caused you to miss the ship before the hurricane?" she began. "Remember what we did after you felt better?" Here, she winked. ""And how I started feeling ill just a few weeks later? Well it seems that we...that I'm..."

She stopped. " People say hurricanes leave tragedy in their wake most times, but it seems this one left a blessing, too, one that will arrive in the beginning of July. We're finally going to have a baby, Will."

Perhaps it was a good thing she'd waited on the makeup. Her tears- happy ones this time, but tears nonetheless- were already running down her cheeks, and she no longer felt like eating, only like being in his arms.
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

William Webster
Member Avatar
First Lieutenant on the HMS Sovereign
English Navy
Of course they weren’t completely ready to leave yet. Women always had a lot to do to prepare for a party because they needed more to look their best than a man did. Will practically just needed his uniform and to shave where Julia needed a lot more but it seemed that she was decently dressed and he could enter. So he did enter letting Julia get the next words on her mind off her chest while he was there in the room.

She was nervous and that made her try a more indirect approach to whatever was on her chest. Will certainly did remember how they had made his time ill a more bearable thing and he did remember that she had gotten ill a couple of weeks later. But he still didn’t think that was odd at all, sickness tended to skip from one person to the next and unless Julia was going to tell him that she was more sick than he figured then he was clueless. She did look a bit pale too.

But then she spilled the beans and for a moment, Will was stunned. He looked at her not sure what to say or do. She was pregnant and even though that he had dreamt of an heir and a child and even though he had wished to get Julia pregnant to make her feel less lonely, this news were taking the wind out of him. “Wow…” He said at first trying to decide what to say. Finally he walked forward and took his wife in his arms and held her close. “This is wonderful news, Julia
Posted Image[/align]
Offline Profile Goto Top

Julia Webster
Member Avatar
Lady
Civilian
When he finally took her in his arms, Julia melted with love for him. "I love you... and even though I know it's a shock, you'll be a wonderful father." Not even caring about the cake anymore- she'd finish it later- Julia relaxed with the feeling of being in his arms.

"Well, now that I'm ready, shall we go?" A little selfishly, she didn't want to let go of him yet. But that was all right. They'd have the whole evening in each others' arms, dancing the night away.

[align=center] - THE END - [/align]
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
« Previous Topic · New Year ball in Bahamas · Next Topic »
Locked Topic