Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Brackenwood. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Droplet Splash; Animation Experiment #6
Topic Started: Jun 10 2004, 09:14 PM (12,712 Views)
chluaid
Member Avatar
Bitey's Daddy
Admin
Challenge: Splash from a water droplet in still water

Summary of experiment:

Movie Properties: 30fps, 400 x 300
Loop duration: 37 frames @ 30fps = approx 1.2 sec.
Animation: pencil tool, about 30 min
File Size: 46k, drawings not optimized

Method: Animated frame-by-frame with the pencil tool. After painting it, I added the highlights (the white glints) and the reflections (the dark shapes on the surface).

Conclusion: Some obvious ways to limit this animation for Flash would be to use only one or two splash drawings and tween their scale so that they appear to rise and fall. Also to draw only one ripple and tween its scale bigger so it appears to grow outwards, and fade it off at the same time.
In this experiment though, I've animated it fully because not only does it look better but it's just as quick for me to do it this way.

[size=7]Click here to see Experiment#6 [/size]
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

MasterM
Brackenwood Member
The splash of a water droplet in still water is a classic I think but why 30fps? I thought a human being can only see 24 fps.

unclemike
Member Avatar
Brackenwood Lightweight
its it alright if i try some of your experiments? i'd like to... so if you don't mind... i'll try the curtain experiment.

mr.nurbs
Member Avatar
Brackenwood greeter
Global Mod
Quote:

why 30fps?
It is the format for digital production NTSC

chluaid
Member Avatar
Bitey's Daddy
Admin
yep it's NTSC which I've adopted as a habit cos most of my stuff I'd like to eventually go onto a Bitey Castle DVD. Also I like the smoothness of the higher frame-rates, cos it's faster (and a little more drawing-work) than 24 fps, but not too fast. It's a nice rate.

mr.nurbs
Member Avatar
Brackenwood greeter
Global Mod
so all of your cartoons on Bitey are done at 30fps? i guess that's the reason for the big files sizes huh?

chluaid
Member Avatar
Bitey's Daddy
Admin
bingbong was originally 18fps, cos that's when I was trying to make smoother movies (all the movies up to hitchHiker:part Two were done at 12fps).. but then when I wanted to put him onto video I ran into probs cos he wasn't at 30fps.

That's when i started using 30fps for everything... although I think Frank! is only 12 fps cos there's no need for him to be higher.

and yep, higher frame-rate means I have to do more drawings if I want the animation to be smooth.. and more drawings means more kb.

unclemike
Member Avatar
Brackenwood Lightweight
chluaid
Jun 12 2004, 12:46 AM
and yep, higher frame-rate means I have to do more drawings if I want the animation to be smooth.. and more drawings means more kb.

a sacrifice i'm willing to let you take :bitey:

chluaid
Member Avatar
Bitey's Daddy
Admin
why thankyou ;)

Nodron Simpleton
Member Avatar
Original Brackenwoodian
Why not try to make a real nice smoke effect, like smoke comming out of a car, Like ThIs: smoke

TRY to make a baloon do BOOM (man that's hard

alexsmolik
Member Avatar
The Prince of Troy
Wow, I have to admit that this was awesome. Adam, I just love the way you animate, it's so realistic and stuff ... I mean, wow. It was really neat and beautiful. I really liked it. THUMBS UP !

Aindin
Member Avatar
Sleep Walker
This experiment that you did actually made me become enamored with rain. Recently where I live we have been plagued with freak storms and tornadoes up the wazoo....and I have just been completely observant of rain splashing on pavement....especially when it is a very hard rain..it looks very unique..much different then a water dropplet splashing in water....I will have to see if I can try to animate it....

Anyways...yeah could it be possible to do a frame by frame option for your animation projects to help give we the viewers a nice play by play. it would really help but if it is very tedious and hard to do....I think I would survive.

Sephiroth
Member Avatar
yo mamma's daddy!!
I tried to make blood rain down on just a white backround.. It looks ok, but not realistic.

mr.nurbs
Member Avatar
Brackenwood greeter
Global Mod
Damn I just noticed that shadow reflection on the water of the drops. Bring back the Experiments Forum!!!! :gasp:

mwc
Member Avatar
Duyid Afryt Milish
A Bitey DVD?!?!??

I can't wait for that!!!!!

Fatsack
Brackenwood Middleweight
You animate water so well. Do you specialize in that? Is that what you do at your job? ...Do they consider that special effects? :worry:

haup
wanna be flash animator
yes

Fatsack
Brackenwood Middleweight
You sure about that? I heard him complain that the water in Disney movies isn't realistic enough. He can't be working for something he doesn't believe in! :( Or maybe he can.

mr.nurbs
Member Avatar
Brackenwood greeter
Global Mod
it's not that they don't look realistic enough, it's that he doesn't have control over the colour and the overall effects themselves...They're shot down a production pipe line so after he sketches the rough and makes the line work a little more clean, it gets sent to the colour dept. to be tweaked even further......As far as doing something he doesn't believe in, I don't think he'd be doing a job he didn't like....He gets to draw all day and then come home and draw some more...I'm sure there are parts of a project for a movie that he just wants to get done and over with....But that pertains to any job really....

chluaid
Member Avatar
Bitey's Daddy
Admin
Welcome to the forum Fatsack! nice name hehe..

yep i specialize in water and fire and smoke and dust etc... basically, anything that animates but isn't a character, is my job. Even some incidental characters like flocks of birds or schools of fish. Butterflies, fireflies, etc.. Props such as vines (in Tarzan 2), chains (3 Musketeers), furniture (Lady and the Tramp 2), trees, sticks, you name it... as long as it's not a main character :D

I really like my job cos it keeps me in an artistic environment where I can continually learn stuff and get paid to do it!

I don't like the way Disney colourstyles their water in general, but especially in sequels and other cheap(ish) productions... that's why, at work I'm always trying to convince them to do it my way.

Even though theoretically I have no control over the colour or digital treatment of the effects, there were a couple of scenes in Peter Pan 2 that I did, and I managed to convince them to let me colourstyle those and treat them my way. As a result, you'll see a scene where a boot splashes into a puddle (near the beginning of the movie) with absolutely clear water, which has no colour, but instead warps the background :D hooray for me!

I've done those in a couple of other movies, but I forget which ones they were right now..

Rubberhead
Member Avatar
Fatscat Kittycat
You seem to do allot of sequels, you once said you kinda disliked sequels. Is there a reason why they let you guys do so much sequels?

yeahthatguy
Brackenwood Lightweight
Easy to make. Just about everything is done, and if the original was a big sell-out, the sequel will most likely be the same from the first's reputation. Not to mention it's quick cash.

Fatsack
Brackenwood Middleweight
Rubberhead
Sep 1 2004, 09:25 PM
You seem to do allot of sequels, you once said you kinda disliked sequels. Is there a reason why they let you guys do so much sequels?

Wow... Adam Philips greeted me. It is truly an honor. <insert bowing emoticon>

Anyway, Rubberhead, it's probably because Adam isn't one of the big people, even though he should be. They really need a feature Brackenwood movie.

mwc
Member Avatar
Duyid Afryt Milish
I've never been greeted at all... :(

TheDeadSyringe
Brackenwood Lightweight
Hello MWC.

And yeah, but they should make a Brackenwood TV show instead. Though I dislike tv shows because they always keep you waiting.

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Animation Experiments · Next Topic »
Add Reply