Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to Brackenwood. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Rubber's Scribbles
Topic Started: Dec 3 2007, 12:02 AM (3,603 Views)
Rubberhead
Member Avatar
Fatscat Kittycat
Okay what did Rubby make during his months long sketchbook haitus? The awnser is, not much (if anything at all).
But the time has come to blow the dust off my pencils and tablet and start drawing again!
It's gonna be tough, but I can't let Espen get even futher ahead of me :P

Some sketches...

Posted Image

Posted Image
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

Espen
Member Avatar
Never Disturb us!
AAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

C0mBineD
Member Avatar
my name is written with a zero not an o
cant see the second picture :C but the first one looks great :D

edit--

I see the second now too
what espen said ;D xD

mr.nurbs
Member Avatar
Brackenwood greeter
Global Mod
Nice to see some fresh material from you. I always admire your sense of distortion and of course your cross hatching. :sage:

Ravenseye
Member Avatar
Brackenwood Heavyweight
i wish there was more. so make more!!!

CLiNK
Member Avatar
Brackenwood Heavyweight
The return of RUBBER! :o

p.s. Nurbs, that avatar is spectacular! :lol:

Calco
Member Avatar
"Get Funked"
I loved seeing your work back in the day man, and now its back :D

Quote:

p.s. Nurbs, that avatar is spectacular!

True dat :lol:

cantdraw05
Member Avatar
rapturous alien
holy cow rubberhead thats some awesome sketching, i love that horse cow creature thing , the lips and shading are super.

Rubberhead
Member Avatar
Fatscat Kittycat
More experimental enviroments, I never really study these from photo's or anything, they're usually just for fun and experimenting with colours and techniques.
Okay this one isn't that greatly done, but I made some interesting discoveries.
I messed abit with the framing, I'dd like some input on which one you like the most.

Posted Image
first one

Posted Image
flipped

Posted Image
just messing around...

Posted Image
bumped up the constrast (it's really pushing it here), I think the silhouettes are stronger which makes the composition more dramatic and overall helps the image. Is it an improvement?

I got inspired by Espen and Raven with their enviroment-skills (hmm, that reads funny :/ ). So I started Photoshop and made some rough nightly landscape. Later I turned the sky pink and added a ghost and his cat as yellow silhouettes, probably tricking the viewer into thinking that there's some deeper meaning to it (The lonelyness of the sole ghost? What is he looking at?- not that I originally planned something like this, I just wanted to add a character into the enviroment).
Just when I was about done, I noticed the HUGE tangents going on (flip your works!).
I just didn't noticed them because of the drawing blindness you get when staring at something for too long. Then as I flipped I noticed how "dynamic" the perspective and composition are. Infact I think the tangents are for a large part causing this, I think they guide the eye around the image. The tilted horizon and straight-vs-curvy mountains are also adding to the effect I think. This isn't the first time I accidentally ran into this, I think this image also has it.
It might actually be a good idea to do allot of rough compositions to see if I can find what causes a background to have a sense of ryhtm.

If you think I'm seeing ghosts and all of this is crap feel free to tell me so ^^.

Okay, here's another one...

Posted Image

Espen
Member Avatar
Never Disturb us!
Good to have you back ;)

CLiNK
Member Avatar
Brackenwood Heavyweight
I likes the first one :blink:

C0mBineD
Member Avatar
my name is written with a zero not an o
what kind of brush did you used for the last one. could you post a screenshot thnx :)

Ravenseye
Member Avatar
Brackenwood Heavyweight
I love the arizona mountain looking landscape. I need to start thinking depth for my peices.

Rubberhead
Member Avatar
Fatscat Kittycat
C0mBineD
Dec 5 2007, 10:42 PM
what kind of brush did you used for the last one. could you post a screenshot thnx :)

I used a basic round brush with opacity jitter set to presure, that's really all I used.
And then some variations to soften up some hard edges etc...

Posted Image

---------------

Just a quick brush-test, trying to work with a more flat brush, I like this because it lets you see the strokes without things getting to rounded off.

Posted Image

Rubberhead
Member Avatar
Fatscat Kittycat
It's old-style-crap-time!

The kind of I-don't-feel-like-putting-any-effort-into-form-so-let's-render-instead.

Posted Image
old and unfinished, never will be

Posted Image
new but really shitty drawn :yfok:

And two auld sages :lol:
The right one sucks <_<
Posted Image

Did I mention I really need to put more effort into line and form and less into shadowing? I've allways known it, now it's the time to flip the switch!

SuperSack
Member Avatar
supercalifragilistic
holy mother of crap! thats impressive! Incedentally how long does it take to draw these things?

Rubberhead
Member Avatar
Fatscat Kittycat
SuperSack
Dec 9 2007, 09:09 PM
holy mother of crap! thats impressive! Incedentally how long does it take to draw these things?

It depends, the actual drawing doesn't take more then a few minutes (that why they're so full of errors, I'm just too lazy to do it right -_-' - I consider this my biggest problem) The rendering sucks up most of the time, it isn't actually as hard as drawing form but it just takes up allot of time. It also depends on how familiar you are with something, when I'm rendering something I made up it takes noticable longer to do because I need to figure out where all the planes are so I can apply value accordingly. When you do something like a face or things you've analyzed you get it done much faster.

I think I am done with this one, I know the arms are inconsistent, but I allready "fixed" them twice so meh... onto the next one.

Don't smoke! :rolleyes:

Posted Image

Text was just an aftertought.

Here's a 100% image incase you want to see how messy my strokes actually are :P

Katatafisch
Member Avatar
if you answer my riddle the esophagus will let you pass
duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude
not only your scetching is incredible, youre also a genius at drawing, the image just freaks me out damn

haha and somehow it looks like an old hl render

humbleego
Member Avatar
Adam's Illegitimate Son
Global Mod
*dances a jig*

Hooray for new Rubbadub stuff! :wub:

Rubberhead
Member Avatar
Fatscat Kittycat
Haha, thanks guys :D

Just a doodle... actually I think this one is full of errors which I'm simply not seeying at this stage, and I really have a feeling that something's wrong with the left (our right) eye. I find drawing eyes really hard...

Posted Image

I kept everything in layers, so here's a process gif.

Posted Image

CLiNK
Member Avatar
Brackenwood Heavyweight
We need a grovelling emoticon. :fpbls:

Whim
Member Avatar
Poetry Freak
Woah!!! I LOVE your sketches. The creatures you draw are fantastic!

Rubberhead
Member Avatar
Fatscat Kittycat
Thanks guyz, I luvz ya :D

Study for an illustration, critiques very much appreciated.

Posted Image

cantdraw05
Member Avatar
rapturous alien
cant wait to see it finished!!

Whim
Member Avatar
Poetry Freak
I think it's very beautiful. I love the concept. I mean, I really love this. Like cantdraw, I can't wait to see it finished. Crits? Uhm...something about her chest seems a tad off to me, where the line of her chest meets her neck area, but I'm not sure what it is, so that's a useless crit....sorry... :worry:

1 user reading this topic (1 Guest and 0 Anonymous)
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Members Sketchbooks · Next Topic »
Add Reply