Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
The Biologist Is There!
Topic Started: Jun 7 2006, 11:39 AM (7,933 Views)
MaMiMoBa Mom
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
:o :o :o The biologist is there! Look how big that nest is! Look how large the eaglet is! This is soooooo cool! I wish he'd wave to us! I wonder what his parents are thinking? Smile for the camera Lil One! Oh, I mean BIG one! That nest is big enough for BIg Bird! LOL! I'm so lucky to be able to witness this first hand! B) B) :P :P :lol:
Offline Profile Goto Top

chitown73
Member Avatar
Where is the location?
Offline Profile Goto Top

taf
Member Avatar
MaMiMoBa Mom,Jun 7 2006
11:39 AM
:o :o :o The biologist is there! Look how big that nest is! Look how large the eaglet is! This is soooooo cool! I wish he'd wave to us! I wonder what his parents are thinking? Smile for the camera Lil One! Oh, I mean BIG one! That nest is big enough for BIg Bird! LOL! I'm so lucky to be able to witness this first hand! B) B) :P :P :lol:

WOW is right... I was also lucky enough to view the capture. I can not believe how sturdy and large that nest is. What an event...

Lucky Us....

T. :)
Offline Profile Goto Top

taf
Member Avatar
Hey.. he's still up there. Do you think he will stay until they bring the eaglet back?

T.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Naturegal
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
This is the best internet experience I have ever seen. What an amazing day!

Thought I was going to have a heart attack when the little one (or now big one) was so close to the edge of the nest. This birdman is awesome. He handled the eaglet so gently.

Hope all goes well with the banding and that he is returned to his nest safely with perhaps a little treat, like a fish or something. :rolleyes:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Anibird
Advanced Member
The climber will stay at the nest until he brings back up the eagle. Several biologists are checking out the bird now. They will probably raise the bird in another half hour or so!!

Annie Little
Offline Profile Goto Top

MaMiMoBa Mom
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Woweee wow wow wow!!! :o :o :o I got some amazing shots of the tagging. I just don't know how to post them. Seeing this grown Mr. Biologist IN the nest really puts the enormous size of the eagles, eaglet and nest into perspective! I can't wait to read the report of their findings! He was so gentle with the eaglet. The eaglet gave him a pretty good fight too! I was a bit afraid that the eaglet would try to fly away when he saw him approaching. I did see the eaglet quickly move to the other side of the nest just before the man came into view. Earlier it looked as though the eaglet knew something was going on down below as well! Hey, Mr. Biologist just took our photograph! I was smiling and waving...were you all! I feel like I've just died and gone to heaven! This is just one of the most incedible things I've been fortunate enough to witness in my life! Thank you all so much for giving us this gift! :D :D
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cynders06
Unregistered

Thanks so much Ani for the update. I got to watch the whole thing live too and what an experience. Thank you all so much for what you do. I hope he/she gets a meal too before they come back up. It looks like the nest is out in the open with no shelter above it. Can you tell us what their surroundings look like? I can't wait to see the little one again. I bet it's scared but happy to have some interaction with "someone" since it's alone so much.
Goto Top

LuvEagles:)
I can't wait to see them return the eagle! I missed them taking it so am anxious to see video. I hope the baby eagle will be found healthy and maybe fed a little before returning!
Offline Profile Goto Top

chitown73
Member Avatar
Wow this is so amazing! I'm at work and I had everyone gathered around watching. Watching the baby eaglet alone he/she looks so small but when that biologist got up there in the nest it really shows the realty of the size!!!! Amazing!
Offline Profile Goto Top

I wonder what the nests smells like, and he keeps scratching - I bet a lot of little critters are up there! :D
Offline Profile Goto Top

NinjaShirpa
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
We’ve been speculating that they will be taking blood samples for DDT/DDE and gender assessment. Does anyone know what other analysis will be done while the eaglet is on the ground? Where or when will this info be avaliable?
Offline Profile Goto Top

He just smiled to us and flapped his wing to signal mom or dad is nearby!
Offline Profile Goto Top

NinjaShirpa
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
For those who may have missed the biologist taking the eaglet out of the nest, it was done with such care that the little guy/gal barely made any struggle at all. He used his bare hands and carefully coaxed the bird away from the edge of the nest with a long stick while he carefully grabbed its body and contained its wings, all the while talking to it, and then gently coaxed it into a small bag that was then lowered to the ground. My hats off to that biologist, that is until he stood up in the center of the nest at which point I almost called Cal/OSHA. ;)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Naturegal
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MaMiMoBa Mom - your post was so full of energy and excitement. We all feel the same way - what an amazing experience. Keep this excitement going!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Eaglet Banding Event · Next Topic »
Locked Topic