Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
why so long
Topic Started: Jun 7 2006, 01:29 PM (5,619 Views)
petra
Advanced Member
why so long that bird holding in his arms....
poor animal was so afraid.....so leave him/her go and don't be
as human being populair in front of the camera....

put that animal on the nest and go....

no he must hold him/her for a while
very very adult man.....

yeck

and why was the search so long ??
how do you think you feel as men or women when it happends you ???

search ok but not like this way...

not normal...

petra
p.g.j.martens@casema.nl
Offline Profile Goto Top

petra
Advanced Member
hello everybody

i wrote the biologist and i have a explain how they're have working with "our" bird...
they've just taken time to do everything so calm as possible to have the bird calm enough....he/she felt asleep.....brilliant....

thank you annie for explonaition....

gr. petra
Offline Profile Goto Top

Raptorman
Advanced Member
Petra: The fact that you show obvious care for the eaglet's welfare is wonderful. Now if I could offer some advice for you and others that might "over worry" for the birds' welfare. The people working with these birds have the upmost respect and interest in the birds welfare. To be successful they must have that level of commitment. Being gentle and calm is very important to reduce stress to these wild birds. Occasionally firmness is also needed with speed to prevent injury to the birds and themselves. But often with raptors patients and calm is best.

You will also find that patients and calmness usually keeps viewers calm. You can assist greatly in the experience of viewers to this site by practicing faith in the people presenting this site and the field workers, biologists and technicians doing their jobs with the highest level of professionalism.

There are many more days of viewing and talking about these birds ahead. Some will contain greater levels of risk to the birds than others. This is nature at work with us humans attempting to assist when possible and learn. Part of the journey involves risk and danger. That is life. So if you can assist by showing others the value of patients and calmness that effort won't go unrewarded.

Enjoy the experience and I look forward to your new role as well as your questions. Bill :)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Unregistered

Raptorman, will the branding not affect his flight. Looks awfully big on his wing!
Goto Top

petra
Advanced Member
Hello Bill

i've saw the video and i've explaination from Annie Little and i know now how carefully and gentle they're working with "our" eagle....

i was a little angry about it but i've learned....first asking then bla bla hahaha i've not learned yet.....my father tell me often first thinking than reacting ok ok ....(and that with the age of 45)
i can be also angry on the tv there's a man who's fisshing i thought on discovery and he hold for a very long time the fish out of the water just to show that poor fish for the camera.......ooohhh.....

but the eagle (is it a she or he ??) has stolen my and others hart...

here in the netherlands there are sea eagles to sinds years with babies but they don't know how many....

if i know more news i put it here on the forum.....

i know now "our" eagle is in very good hands......

till next time and thanks for your answer

gr. petra
p.g.j.martens@casema.nl
Offline Profile Goto Top

Unregistered

Also wondering if the parents will not abandon him because of this branding? Thanks for any help.
Goto Top

Raptorman
Advanced Member
To be slightly picky the process is called banding not branding. Although banding is perminent it is certainly not a disfigurement of the eaglets (or other birds) foot.

The tagging does involve an invasive process but has been in practice for many years. It will not impead any flight capabilities as exampled by many other Balds success and those of A49's parents which are tagged. The parents have a very stong bond to their territory, the nest tree and the eaglets these above process is not normally sufficient cause for abandonment. The adults have seen taggs on their mates and will possibly be slightly uneasy about the "change" in their eaglet there are other factor that will far outweigh refusal to continue to care for the eaglet. Unique voice recongnition in itself would be a huge supporter of the bond between A49 and his parents.

Petra: We all often react with our "beaks" when maybe our minds are better capable of dealing with the issue. :lol: I am not familiar with any sea eagle species in the Netherlands but look forward to hearing more about them from you. Bill :)
Offline Profile Goto Top

gizzmonorma
I'm watching from Carpinteria CA...just across the Santa Barbara Channel.

Thank you Raptorman for all the useful info that you've provided not only on this site but the Victoria/Sidney site as well.

Many thanks to all the folks involved in presenting this live cam. What a wonderful opportunity to see the hatchling developing in it's environment. I for one am glad to see the restoration of these as well as other large birds to Southern California. The caring efforts of so few can really make a difference.

I've learned a lot and have developed a greater appreciation for these beautiful creatures.

Norma
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

ElaineRuth
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
I have seen many references (on this board and others) to other eagle web cams in the world (Sidney?). How can I go about getting the URLs or links to these other eagle cams as well?
Thanks
;)
Offline Profile Goto Top

gizzmonorma
Quote:

I have seen many references (on this board and others) to other eagle web cams in the world (Sidney?). How can I go about getting the URLs or links to these other eagle cams as well?
Thanks

Hi ElaineRuth:

Eagle Eye Cam
If for some reason your links are disabled, here is the site address: http://www.infotecbusinesssystems.com/wildlife/default.asp

This is a great site located in the Victoria BC area. I used the reference on the web cam page (Victoria/Sidney), however after further digging the actual location of the nest is Saanich, Vancouver Island, B.C., Canada. This is the 2nd nest they set up, the first nest failed to hatch.

Check out the Forum under Eagle Discussion, you will find a sticky called Ask Raptorman and others???. It's loaded with great information. Settle down with a big cup of coffee, you'll spend hours reading! B)

There are 2 hatchlings in this nest. A lot of observations and commentary have been made on the behavior of these birds as siblings. Very interesting!

Norma
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

amalphia
Advanced Member
http://www.eaglecam.org/ This one has links to Maine and Massachusetts nests along with Peregrine Falcons in Pennsylvania and others... There are 5 Falcon young and they are a noisy bunch who will soon be fledging!

http://www.lbv-eichstaett.de/storch/cam/storchcam2.htm Stork nest in Bavaria...

http://www.storchennest.de/en/index_live-video.html Stork nest in Germany (these parents lost both of their natural hatchlings recently but are now fostering another who lost one of its parents to an auto collision and the other parent would not have been able to care for it alone)....

Hope these links help and that I'm not stepping on anyone's toes here.... Please delete this post if I am! :)
Offline Profile Goto Top

bambeeson2
No stepping as far as I'm concerned! We're all nature and animal lovers here, and the more links to interesting sites, the better! Once these message boards get up and running and more people learn about them, the more topics there are and it's hard to know just where to speak what's on your mind and post what's pertinent info in the correct spot! So wherever I happenstance on something interesting or helpful, I'm just happy I found it! Thanks for the links...going stork watching right now! Becki
Offline Profile Goto Top

ElaineRuth
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thanks to you both for posting these links!
:P
Offline Profile Goto Top

Mrs. C
June 13, 2:05PM EDT (Northern Panhandle, WV)

I have been watching this little guy for quite some time and watching kids at http://www.nwf.org/wildlife/baldeagle/webcam.cfm grow as well.

Each time the nwf kids would argue, you couldn't help but be glad they had each other for company. Felt kinda bad this little one was alone. On the other hand, that sibling rivalry...well its for the birds !

Thank you all for making this possible :)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Raptorman
Advanced Member
Many eaglets because of hatchability issues as well as fratricide/siblicide are without a nestmate. Just like many humans don't have siblings. I'm not sure it is cause for pity. Under certain conditions nature dictates the rate of survival. Bill :)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Eaglet Banding Event · Next Topic »
Locked Topic