Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Tagging And Return; eaglet return to nest
Topic Started: Jun 7 2006, 01:53 PM (2,386 Views)
iwajen@cox.net
Unregistered

I didnt see the eaglet returned as the image was frozen. I only saw the chick when it was picked up by the biologist and sent down to be examined etc Did not see the biologist returning the chick . The next image was of the chick sitting in the nest already tagged. A little disappointing, but still interesting, and the ea ;) glet looks fine. Jeanette.
Goto Top

Unregistered

I'm worried that the mom and dad eagle won't return to the baby now since the nest was disturbed.
Goto Top

CMR
I am by no means an expert but I have helped occasionaly with bird rescues and have learned that it is a myth that the parents will not come back to the nest. The Scrubjays that were dive bombing me and my car the other day when I was trying to get the baby up in the tree can back me up on this.
Offline Profile Goto Top

number_11
Member Avatar
I wasn't able to watch things live yesterday but I did see some cool video! This little ( :huh: ) eaglet doesn't look to be any worse for the wear. He/she is nibbling at something right now.
I like the jewelery
:P
Offline Profile Goto Top

annie
did anyone see a parent return after the tagging? hoping the lil guy got fed!
Offline Profile Goto Top

iwajen@cox.net
Unregistered

i also have not seen any parents yet as of this morning around 7:00am Thurs June 8. Jeanette
Goto Top

birdersinceage10
I want to echo all the other contributors: this was one of the most amazing sights I have witnessed. We had half of our office watching to see biologist Jim reach the nest and capture the eaglet (who we have nicknamed Baby K - in honor of his two parents who are K-10 and K-28). When Baby K moved close to the edge of the nest to stay away from Jim, we all were holding our collective breath.

The patience and care by the entire team in executing this event was fabulous. Congratulations!

The magnitude of the tree climb became clear from the still photographs posted this evening. Clearly, Jim has lots of experience in not only handling large raptors but tree climbing.

This has been an extremely great learning experience for all of the adults and all of the kids who have been watching the growth of the eaglet and the interaction with the parents, and now the biologists.

We can hardly wait for Baby K to fledge. But what will we watch on our mini screen players after that event.

Thanks to everyone who made this miracle possible. We should all get out our checkbooks and make contributions to the worthy organizations who made this happen!
Offline Profile Goto Top

ElaineRuth
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
I'm watching this little fella grow like a weed and my question is about his little backpack:
since it is fitted around and under his wings, will it not become too small (tight) as he gets bigger?
Of course, I know that it won't or you wouldn't have done it. But what I'm asking is, why won't it get too small/tight?
Thanks
:huh:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Eagle Guy
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
When we put on the backpack transmitter, we leave about 2 inches of space between the transmitter and the spine to allow some growth. However, at 8 weeks of age they have attained most of their body size. Their feather growth during the last few weeks in the nest are what make them look like they are growing even bigger.

Peter Sharpe
Institute for Wildlife Studies
Bald Eagle Restoration Project
Offline Profile Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Eaglet Banding Event · Next Topic »
Locked Topic