Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Parents
Topic Started: Jun 7 2006, 04:39 PM (1,900 Views)
VonBon
Hi there...has anyone seen "little one's" parents since back in the nest since the tagging event earlier??????
Offline Profile Goto Top

MaMiMoBa Mom
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
:( I haven't, but I sure am hping someone has seen them!! :unsure:
Offline Profile Goto Top

Loverofchicks
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
nope I haven't seen them either. I sure hope they comfort little bit soon. :(
Offline Profile Goto Top

Unregistered

It's 9:36 am EDT and Little One is eating. I was haveing trouble connecting to the cam so I guess I missed one of the eagles bringing breakfast to our baby. This makes me feel a lot better :P
Goto Top

Loverofchicks
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
I have just checked on Little Bit and he is eating so I guess his momma or papa or both brought him breakfast. so glad but he still will be lonely. hope they come back for some comfort soon. I would like to see how they are reacting to his new look.
Offline Profile Goto Top

annie
oh good!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Unregistered

Looks like he's working on something right now!
Goto Top

tbbsharyn
I just saw Dad drop off some food. YUMMMM Raw Fish :P
Offline Profile Goto Top

amalphia
Advanced Member
Dr. Sharp posted this earlier today on his "Questions" section of these forums:

Eagle Guy Posted: Jun 8 2006, 11:51 AM
Group: Members
Member No.: 66

This was the first banding I have done in the past 10 years where the adults were not in the area at any time during our visit to the nest. We saw one bird on the beach down the coast as we were traveling to the nest site, but there was never an adult around during the 2-3 hours we were in the area. Typically, when we go to a nest the adults are around dive-bombing and vocalizing at us. They will usually return 5-60 minutes after we leave the area. The location of this nest is out of view of most of the coastline, so it is possible the adults were perched on the coast around the corner and just didn't happen to take a look at the nest while we were present.

The adults are not likely to spend much time at the nest with a chick of this age. When the male brought in a fish this morning the chick rushed him, grabbed the fish, crossed to the other side of the nest, and mantled (huddled) over the food to protect it. No "thank you" or anything. The male then left and the eaglet ate the entire fish. Our data from Catalina Island show that there is usually a prey delivery every 3-4 hours. If the adult is there for less than a minute each time, you will need to be pretty lucky to catch a glimpse of the adults.

Peter Sharpe
Institute for Wildlife Studies
Bald Eagle Restoration Project
Offline Profile Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Eaglet Banding Event · Next Topic »
Locked Topic