Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Forum Members' Biographies ... A To D; Bios/Photos of Discussion Group Members.
Topic Started: Jan 1 2007, 11:31 PM (21,300 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
A-49 aka CRUZ

Posted Image

Hello! I am known now as A-49 aka CRUZ........this is my story.

I apparently made the headlines, and got a lot of people, especially biologists, very excited the day I hatched.

[SANTA CRUZ ISLAND, CA – The American bald eagle, symbol of our nation’s freedom and heritage, has claimed a momentous victory in its efforts to repopulate historic breeding grounds. Elated biologists watched as a bald eagle chick hatched unaided on Santa Cruz Island, off the coast of California. This event marks the first time in more than 50 years that the birds have successfully reproduced on the Channel Islands without the help of humans.]

But lets start at the very beginning.........
My dad is K-10 and mom is K-26 and I am their first born chick.

Posted Image

Dad was 5-years-old and mom was 4-years-old when they decided to settle down, from cruising around California and Oregon. For a year they had been seen perching together, at various locations on Santa Cruz Island, before they finally established a territory and built a nest in late 2005. The biologists observing them said they “exhibited breeding behavior in February 2006.” and I was obviously the result, because I hatched on April 12, 2006.

Dave Garcelon, President of the Institute for Wildlife Studies, the group that releases and monitors bald eagles on the island, was very impressed with my parents, he said this about them.......”“The pair sat on the eggs through rain, hail and even snow!” This dedication is impressive for such young birds; it is not uncommon for inexperienced pairs to abandon, crush, or otherwise lose their eggs during their first breeding attempts.”

Both mom and dad took turns incubating me, inside my egg, in a five-foot-round nest, high in a tree, on the north shore of the island.

Biologists continued to monitor the nest and I believe this is where YOU all came in too!.
When I broke through my shell, mom and dad were amazed......you will see later in a video, they didn’t know what to make of me. In fact for a few days they didn’t even feed me! Eventually instinct must have kicked in...thank goodness... and dad started to bring food to the nest and feed me. After that rocky start I grew and grew and grew..

Life was going along pretty well, until one day in June...the 7th....an unusual bird started to climb up my tree. He really scared me and I nearly fell off the nest. But Jim... he introduced himself... stopped me, by using a long stick and whilst he spoke softly to me he was gradually moving me towards him. Eventually he got hold of me and I was looking up at him whilst he still tried to calm me down.Then he put me into a bag and I was lowered down to the ground.

I really can’t tell you what happened as they covered my eyes and I fell asleep!
I understand that you were all watching, so you know that they took measurements and blood, to see if I was a boy or a girl (more about that later), and then they put wing markers, you call them’wing-blings’ on me. Mine are Blue and have an A and 49 on them, and they also fitted me with a backpack-mounted transmitter package, which allows the biologists to track my movements. When they were done, I was hoisted up to my friend Jim, and he let me out of the bag. He held me for a little while, until I calmed down again, so I was less likely to jump or fall off the nest.

That was an exciting day, because that was the day that most of you met here for the first time on the forum and have gradually become friends.....all because of ME!

The next milestone in my life was Branching which I did on June 30th, 2006. Gradually with all the flapping etc I did, my wings were getting stronger.

Mom mostly would be the one now bringing my food. Do you know what my favourite food is?.................FISH.

Posted Image

But I guess mom and dad didn’t know that, because on occasion they would bring me something-else and leave me to try and figure out how to eat it..........then they would have to come back and help me. I wasn’t always happy about that and would ‘mantle’ my food so they couldn’t get it.

Posted Image

On July 14th, after spending some time, on/off the nest, on my favourite E branch, where every hour or so, I would preform several sets of wing flapping exercises, I decided that was THE day and I took my first flight....didn’t get far... approx 100m from the nest...but it was a start!
It was a little scary at first, being ‘away from home’ but mom or dad was always near to make sure I was Ok and to bring me food..of course!.

On July 18th, I took several short flights, back and forth across the canyon. Then I took a rest on top of a pine tree, in fact I took a nap! After about 20 mins I woke, stretched my wings, scratched my head and had a big poop.....I know you like ALL the details...and then I was off again practicing my flying.

July 19th, I did a sweeping flight across the canyon....I flew from the westside of the canyon to the eastside, then back again. Mom was perched near our nest....most of you watched her that day... and she was encouraging me, calling out, I was answering her but you couldn’t hear me! I then went and perched in the south western part of the canyon, not far from the nest.

On July 21st, exactly one week from me leaving the nest and ‘fledging’, Mom was at the nest...I was about 30 m south of it, shading myself in a low tree and calling to her...then I flew down the canyon and looped back around and perched on the top of a tree next to the nest and mom.. I was hungry and mom had some food waiting on the nest ....SO .... I returned home again....and there was a loud noise away in the distance....sounded like cheering and clapping...but I was more interested in the food!

Posted Image Posted Image

On July 23rd, we had an afternoon thunderstorm and mom came and sat with me then we both went flying together. The next week I stayed around the nest and many of you watched me flying in and out, and mom/dad bringing me food.
July 31st, you all got the news...that I had known all along...I was a GIRL. Dr.Sharpe got my DNA results in and it was confirmed I am a She not a He!

Well the next few weeks after this announcement found me starting to explore the Island. At first I went west and inland, spending a night on the North ridge, then continued on west to Fraiser Point before heading home. Did a round trip of 30 miles or more. I also kept busy practising my flying, soaring and ringing-up, over water and showing off my acrobatic maneuvers to my new friends.

Posted Image .....Posted Image .....Posted Image
Flying ..............................................Ringing up above the beach .............Soaring

(Click on smaller photos to enlarge.)

One day we all ate a huge fish together...I waited my turn, but when it came I jumped right in and showed them who was boss!

Posted Image
Click on photo to enlarge

I love exploring and have been all over this Island, I even found a small spring creek on the north side, where it is great to cool off your feet, in the hot weather.

September 23rd...the day I left Santa Cruz Island and flew over to Santa Rosa Island ... which is a true test of strength and health ... but my friends and I all made a successful channel crossing. So here I am now living on, and exploring, this Island. The annual Fall hunt has begun here and there is plenty of carrion to be scavenged for me and my friends.

If you want to see all my travels you can track my movements at the IWS site http://www.iws.org/

Well there you have it.............my story................to date.
I am out on my own now..... but I am not alone....and maybe you will see me again one day in the future.

So here to recall my life in pictures is Cumbrian’s ‘Memories of our time together’

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHdHAeKjai4
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Aline ..... Sad news ... Aline passed away on March 12/09

I was born in Campbellton, N.B. Canada in 1942.
I have a daughter aged 39 and no grandchildren.
In 1988, I moved to Québec city fulfilling a dream to come to where my ancestors first set foot on this continent.

Since I graduated from High School, I have worked most of the time, except for a few years. It was always with financial institutions like Finance Companies or in a Bank, I also did some supply teaching for a few years. In my younger days I was quite involved with different organizations in my community, but I am not invoved with any community organizations at this time, as I feel I need all my energy for my regular work, as a tax collector for the provincial government. ( Since December 1990) I plan to retire sometime in 2008.

I started to be interested in genealogy in the late 70's when an uncle-in-law, who was then living in Toronto, and visiting N.B. regularly, wanted to find his Acadian roots. So together we started this project, and have worked the Daigle family ascendant line. Moncton University has an Acadian Research center where we dug up the needed information.
As for my own genealogy work, I have everything I need here in Québec. We have a Genealogy Society located on the Laval University grounds, which is just a few miles from my place. I have dug all my roots on both sides of each of my parents.

Computers. I bought my first computer, a Commodore 64 in 1983. For a period of about 8 years I had a lot of pleasure earning by myself different things, like word processing and data bases. I quit when I could no longer find ink ribbons for my Victor printer. It was December 1998 when I got my first PC after we were equiped with some at work. Needless to say it helped me greatly with my genealogy work.

I love animals, wild and domestic alike. I love nature. I used to hunt small game (partridge, ducks, geese) and did my fair share of fishing too. Autumn is my favorite season with it's flamboyant colours, and I love the smell while walking through the wooded areas.
I now live alone since I moved here, but I have a cat named Bernie which is almost a Blue Russian. He is now over the 3 years mark, still very playful. He is great company, I am not talking to myself anymore!
I had many other interests in the past which I had to leave aside for different reasons, like knitting, sewing and reading, all give me back aches.

Animals which I would like to own, an elephant, a horse, I like big dogs too, like German Shepherds. Owning a tiger would also be fun. Yes, I may be a little crazy. So what !
Regards

--------------------
Aline
From Beautiful Québec City in Canada

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
amalphia

I am Pat (oh, yes...another Pat!) from northern Indiana, USofA.

Mother of 8, grandmother of 15, greatgrandmother of 2. I am widowed and live with my 13 year old, 70 pound dog and my 17 year old little bit, mostly Siamese cat... My oldest grandson refers to us as "The Golden Girls"! :lol:

There are Red Tailed Hawks, Barn and Great Horned Owls, Turkey Vultures, Marsh Hawks, and a variety of other bigger birds in my area... I am a child of nature and spent a good deal of my childhood years wandering the woods, fields, beaches and marshes of this area. I learned from observation to appreciate the land and its beings.

I was born not far from where I live now but at 18 months my family moved to California to join my mother's siblings who had moved there a few years previously. We spent the next 13 years between Indiana and California (from May to January in Indiana and then in California through April... After which we lived "full time" here. My dad was a ceramic tile contractor and during that time construction came to a halt during the winter months in Indiana. Thus, the moving back and forth! In my married years we lived in upstate New York and a northern suburb of Milwaukee, WI along with some years here, as well.

My parent's home in California was a little two bedroom in what was then a new housing development in Lynwood... There were like one, or two streets of houses surrounded by prairie in which folks kept their horses staked. Our great extended family of aunts, uncles and cousins gathered weekly and often went on camping trips together to the mountains, the desert, Mexico, or the grunion (sp?)runs on the beaches! I have fond memories of those early years. And, one sad one, as well... We had gone to Oxnard to a/the lake for the day only to find that a young serviceman had drowned and no one was allowed near that particular area. That was my first experience of knowing that people actually could drown....

I still have a lot of family in California... Through the years, however, as the Los Angeles area population exploded my family moved north. They all now live between Sacramento and Smith River (on the ocean quite near Oregon).

Well, then... didn't mean to get so wordy! Glad to meet everyone through this thread and the forums!
--------------------
Pat, Northern Indiana, USofA

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Anibird

My name is Annie Little and I live in Oceanside, CA. I work for the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service in Carlsbad, CA (northern San Diego County).
After graduating from U.C. San Diego with a B.S. in Biology, I started working for the USFWS as an endangered species biologist. I just passed my 10-year mark with the USFWS and have spent the last four years working as the "Bird Biologist" for the Montrose Settlements Restoration Program (MSRP). As you all know, the MSRP has funds to restore resources injured by DDT in the southern California marine ecosystem. It has been a great job being involved with the development of a Restoration Plan for the program which targets bald eagles, peregrine falcons, seabirds, and fish/fishing services. I report to the Montrose Trustee Council and develop bird projects/budgets for their approval.

Being a part of the bald eagle program on the Channel Islands has been a highlight of the position. I work behind the scenes on the project (i.e., developing budgets, contracting to IWS and others, sample analysis/tracking, media requests, outreach, holding meetings, etc.). I have been out to Santa Cruz several times with the transfer of eagles and I love it out there. Beyond bald eagles, I work on multiple seabird restoration projects on the Channel Islands. I am also currently working on a comprehensive monitoring effort for peregrine falcons to start in 2007.

My 16-month old daughter Hannah was born July 2005. Between work and chasing her around, there is not too much free time! But I enjoy camping, hiking, birding, walking my golden retriever Cedar, and spending time with my husband Zach. He was raised in Alaska and is an avid rockclimber.

--------------------
Annie Little, Montrose Settlements Restoration Program

Posted Image
Click on Photo to enlarge.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Bea

Hi, I'm Beate Light from Camarillo, Ca. I am also a transplant to California having come here from Germany (Frankfurt area) some 21 years ago. My mother and brother live in Germany and my father has passed away a long time ago. My husband Ralph, a one-half native american, and I have been married for 20 years. We have lived in Santa Maria, Ca., Santa Barbara, Ca., Oxnard, Ca and also in Ventura Ca. right across from Foster Park. We now live in Camarillo, Ca. I love this Ventura County area - I have never been healthier in my life.
We have 1 dog (Domino) and 1 cat (One-Eyed-Jackie). She's lost an eye in a fight with a dog when she was a small kitten and before I inherited her from my now passed on mother-in-law, hence the name. But mostly we call her Jackie ..or Mama ..or Kitty ..or kitty-cat ..or.......... Strangely, she get's along just fine with my dog Domino. Well, those are our two children. My father used to raise doves - he also loved all animals. I was employed in a Bank for many years, but have shifted from there to computer service. Prior to that, my profession in Germany was that of a Library Technician.

I came across the Eagle Cam through an article in the Ventura County Star and have been addicted since my first peek. I have never before participated in any forum, and I'm so glad I started participating in this one, because I have met the most wonderful caring people here that one could want for friends. My awareness of all our feathered friends has greatly increased since starting to watch the eagles, and this forum gives one the opportunity to learn about so many different things. Truly a wonderful place.

Nice to meet all of you!!
--------------------
Bea
Camarillo, Ca.

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Bee

My Web name Bee is a nickname. My real name is Thisbe (sorry, but my mother was reading Shakespeare at the time).

Born in New York but lived in California (both northern and southern) most of my life.
Have one son and a "daughter" that we took in when she was 13 and raised. We have two granddaughters, one great-grand-daughter and one great grandson with another due the end of this year.

I worked as an Office Manager for many years, then owned three businesses for almost 20 years, sold all of those and went to work in escrow which I have been doing for 13 years. I have retired four times but when they call me back I go.

My birthday is Dec. 24 and our anniversary is Dec. 23 (I dare him to forget it). Husband, Bob, is a southerner (born in South Carolina) and still drawls when he has too much to drink.

I love ALL animals and would live in a zoo if I could but I hate the thought of them not running free. I am down to three cats now but have had many dogs and rescued 67 cats in the late 90's when people were moving out and simply abandoning them. Talk about a cat house, they were everywhere! Got them all fixed, their shots and found good homes for them. The three I kept were not suitable for adoption so they are now mine.

I also love to garden, knit, crochet and do petit point.
--------------------
Bee
Lancaster CA (the high desert)

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Bird

My name is Robin, and I’m an eagleholic.

I was born in Texas and raised in Oklahoma, with two side trips to Germany (I come from a military family). The Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge in Oklahoma was my backyard and is where I first became acquainted with wildlife -- buffalo, longhorn, elk, etc. We also have one of the largest preserved areas of prairie grass. At one time I wanted to be an animal behaviorist, but I couldn’t get past the dissection classes. I couldn’t separate the carcass from the beautiful living animal it used to be. Yes, I’m a softie when it comes to animals.
My interests are animals and their behavior, humans and their behavior, traveling, painting (aluminum on canvas), history and research

I don’t remember how I came to find the Santa Cruz nest cam, but I became hooked on our eagle family. This is my first forum to ever participate in, and now I’m hooked on it!

I graduated from Oklahoma State University and with a teaching certificate in hand, moved to Dallas, Texas, where I taught and pursued an acting career. I then moved to New York and am now in Los Angeles. I am an actress/director/producer/teacher. And ... I am also a mortgage broker licensed in the State of California.

------------------
Robin
Los Angeles, CA.

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
birdkeeper

Hi Everyone! My name is Lisa Panaieff and I was born and raised in Los Angeles, a long, long time ago, LOL and I still live in L.A. I live in the same house I grew up in. I have two grown children, a son 37 y.o. and a daughter 40 y.o. I also have a grandson who will be 13 y.o. in April.

I have worked in the medical field as a medical assistant/secretary for the past 30 years. At the moment, I am not working, because a few months ago I fractured my wrist and also injured my shoulder in a fall. (I was born a clutz!). I had to have surgery on my wrist and the doctor had to put a titanium plate and pins in to hold it together. So I have been going to therapy twice a week. It is much better, now. Still can't drive, though! My boyfriend has been helping me out quite a bit. Thank God for him!

I have a Red Headed Amazon parrot named Sinbad, we named her before we found out it was a female. I have had her for 25 years. I also have two crazy parakeets, named Mr. & Mrs. Pickle. My computer is in the same room as the parakeets and when I used to watch Mr. & Mrs. Hornby they used to try and imitate the sounds of the eagles. Sinbad, the parrot, did pretty well at imitating them. It was really cute!

Ever since I was a little girl, I loved birds and my favorite bird was a bald eagle. So, this whole experience from Hornby to Saanich to Catalina and Santa Cruz has been an amazing experience for me. It is something that I will always cherish and never forget. I hope, one day, to be able to see a bald eagle in real life. It would be such a thrill!

I hope this year the Hornby pair will be successful, I loved them so much. Big and Lil, what can I say, they were the icing on the cake. What personalities! I just wish they had been tagged and fitted with antennas so we could keep up with them. I pray they are doing fine. I am so glad we can keep up with Cruz. Boy, she has turned into a social butterfly!

Anyway, I have been a lurker mostly, but this year I plan to post more often. All you guys on the forum seem to be wonderful, caring people and something I want to be part of. Thank you, Cumbrian .

------------
Lisa
Los Angeles, CA

Photograph still to come.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Bixby

Hi,

I'm Chris Lupo. My husband and I retired and moved to Big Bear, Calif 10/06. Prior to that we lived in Vista, Ca. for the last 12 years. Prior to that I was a city girl from the Long Beach/Lakewood area in LA County for all my life. Bixby is the name of my beagle.

Update: 8/29/06: I entered a Poetry contest yesterday sponsered by Country Woman magazine. The winner will be the featured poem on the back cover. The accompanying picture is of a child's wagon in the snow loaded with Christmas presents and a basket of kittens, and the poem had to reflect the picture. Here's my entry:

A wagon is a handy thing when Christmas comes around
Rolling down a country lane or through the streets of town

Load it up with Christmas gifts and baskets full of kittens
Then put on your winter coat, your muffler and your mittens

The bed is high the wheels are sound, don't worry 'bout the snow
Grab the handle, start to pull, you don't have far to go

Grandma's house is down the street, friends are nearby too
You'll visit all your favorite folks before the day is through

The wagon holds a Christmas gift for every girl and boy
And Grandma knows that four wheeled cart is a wagon full of joy
--------------------
Chris
Big Bear, CA

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
bk4birds

Hi all,

My name is Bethany. I live in Los Angeles with my husband and our Maine Coon cat. I am an acupuncturist and herbalist, and an artist in my spare time. I am originally from Pittsburgh, PA, but have lived here for over 20 years (I quit counting). I am an animal and nature lover and have had cats of all description. My family always had 4-6 cats at any given time along with numerous fish and turtle tanks. I have always been interested in birds, but really got interested in raptors when a Red-tailed hawk visited my birdbath one July 4th. I was surprised to see this in the middle of the city, but since then I have been visited by a Cooper’s Hawk regularly, and Red-tails periodically fly low overhead.

I first started watching the Maine eaglecam last spring and then read in the LA Times about the Channel Islands eaglecam. I watched them both every day with avid interest, but really got hooked on this forum because of all of you. I’ve been watching since before banding day. Although my work schedule lately doesn’t permit me to participate in the daily dialogue, I know that once the eagles are on the nest I will be compelled to speak up more. I have learned so much since finding this forum thanks to everyone involved. This has been a wonderful experience.

--------------
Bethany
Los Angeles, CA

Posted Image
Click on photo to enlarge.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
CarolAnn

Hi, my name is Carol. I am a native Californian born and bred in the heart of the San Fernando Valley at a time when half the Valley was still farmland and orchards. And for those of you who are familiar with So. California, this kind of gives you some idea of my age. Because of my Dad's job in export (Sunkist oranges) I have been able to see a lot of this world. And because of my own affiliation with the military, I have lived on the East Coast and in Europe.

My beautiful daughter was born 28 years ago in Virginia and my wonderful son was born 26 years ago in Spain. When we returned to the U.S. in 1982, we ended up in beautiful Camarillo and have lived here ever since.

I have been married to my second husband, whom I refer to as my earthbound guardian angel, for almost 15 years. We met at work here in Camarillo. We still work at the same place, although retirement is in the not-too-distant-future along with many plans of (hopefully) wonderful things ahead in those retirement years!

My friend who works for VCOE told me about the Eagle Cam and I have been hooked ever since!! I love animals...all animals! We have 2 dogs that are like our children. My only experience with birds (other than my parakeets when I was kid) is our bird feeder and bird bath. Now, wherever I go, I find myself searching the skies...looking for birds and watching the beauty and grace of these beautiful animals!

--------------------
Carol
Camarillo, California

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
catzsong

Hi!

I'm Cathy Stettler from Los Osos, CA (south end of Morro Bay). Native Californian who has migrated from San Diego to the Central Coast. I love it here - the birding is great!

I was born in La Jolla and raised in Oceanside CA. My mum was a war bride - met my dad when he was stationed in the Army Air Corps in England - she was in the British army - many of the women were during WWII.

I moved to Santa Barbara in my mid-20's and put myself through school, finally graduating with a degree in biology (emphasis on marine bio) from UCSB. While I was in school, I was lucky enough to be chosen as part of a research crew in the Antarctic! Spent a summer (our summer, their winter) working out of Palmer Station, which is on the Antarctic Peninsula, not far from the tip of Chile. Was stationed on an ice breaker (RV Polar Duke out of Newfoundland). What an experience. Probably where I fell in love with birds - had lots of penguin encounters!!

After graduation I got a job as an Environmental Planner with the County of Santa Barbara, handling public works roads projects. In 1999 I got a job as an Environmental Coordinator with Caltrans (CA Dept. of Transportation). Hence my move to the Central Coast. I love this area, and being within walking distance of Morro Bay is the best! Lots of great kayaking and hiking.

My partner Judi and I share our humble abode with dogs, cats, and birds...plus the wild birds who fill our backyard!
Well, that's enough for now!

--------------------
Cathy
Los Osos, CA
about 100 or so miles north of the Channel Islands, as the eagle flies!

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
cdn-cdn

Hi everybody. I'm Cheryl and I live in Kitchener, Ontario, Canada. The initials for my name are CDN and I am a Canadian (short form CDN), hence my web name cdn-cdn. My husband of 35 years and I both retired from teaching in June, 2005. This past year has gone by so quickly! During a cruise to Alaska in May, 2006 we went on a quest to see my first eagles in Ketchikan, walking for ages until I finally saw one. Throughout the cruise I saw eagles flying and diving, sitting on rocks and in trees, and two actually sitting in their nests. On our way in to Prince Rupert I saw 25 eagles perched in trees in a small area. When I heard them calling to each other it brought tears to my eyes because it reminded me so much of the Hornby eagles. I first saw A49 Cruz on Banding Day and she stole my heart!

We have two sons, one finished university and living on his own, the other partway through university and still at home. He is the kicker for his university football team, so we spend time in the fall going to football games. It makes us feel young again. I am also the mom of a six-year-old spoiled whippet!

Besides being an eagleholic, I am also a craniac who avidly follows the re-introduction of the whooping cranes to the eastern flyway through Operation Migration. It's nice to meet everyone! <_<
------------
Cheryl
Kitchener, Ontario
Canada

This is a picture of me at the Asa Wright Nature Centre in Trinidad, a popular birding spot for birders from all over the world.

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Cheral

Hello and Happy New Year to Everyone,

My name is Cheral and I am a native Californian. Lived my whole life in Redondo Beach until six years ago when I moved about 50 miles south to the new planned community of Ladera Ranch near Mission Viejo and San Juan Capistrano. In the early 70's I vacationed in England and three years later married an Englishman. We lived in Redondo, no children (had two rescue dogs) and in 1985 got divorced, but still have a very amicable relationship.

Started working at Dive N' Surf/Body Glove straight out of high school and thanks to modern technology I am able to work at home on my computer and continue doing their accounting. I have an eight year old border collie/aussie mix named Kelly. She was a five month old rescue puppy when I got her. She still thinks she is a puppy and we will be taking beginning agility classes in a few weeks.

I found out about the bird nest webcams last spring when a friend sent me a link to the Peregrine Falcons in San Francisco. That led to Eagle nests and to this website. I was fortunate to watch Jim and A-49 on banding day and checked back when I had a chance, especially around fledging time for Cruz. What an outstanding accomplishment for the IWS and all involved with the project.

I also watched the webcam of the White Storks at Vetschau, Germany, until the tragic death of Hugo and the shutdown of the website forum. Then I came across the website of the Gentoo Penguins in the Antarctic and have been checking it since the chicks were born in early December. I must limit myself to half an hour a day for the nest cams, otherwise I'd never get any work done, Kelly wouldn't get her two walks each day and my significant other would start feeling neglected.

I will check in here to see what's new and to see when the nestcam will be starting up again....I missed the nest preparation, egg laying, brooding, etc. last spring.

Hoping for another successful season for the Eagles of Santa Cruz! :)

--------------------
Cheral in Southern California

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
cjrichardsbass

I'm Cheryl Richards watching from Ventura, I can see the Islands on a clear day from the corner park.

I love birds, I have a parakeet, 3 cockatiels and an african grey.
oh also my 4lb. teacup maltese, "Little Annie"

Also I'm a Musician: "High Hills, a dynamic multi-talented all-female award-winning bluegrass band, formed in 1996, continue to grow on the musical horizon capturing audiences with their high-lonesome sound to beautiful soothing ballads. Their magical blend of harmonies and riveting instrumentals create a very entertaining memorable performance. High Hills headlined with the Dixie Chicks in 1998, preshow for Ricky Skaggs and The Del McCoury Band in 1999, and has shared the stage with many other noteable artists.
Virginia Starling award-winning vocalist and songwriter on Fiddle
Leslie Reagan dazzling hot Mandolin and Guitar flatpicking
Laura Silverstein accomplished fingerstyle Banjo and Guitar
Cheryl Richards the rock-solid anchor and rhythm on Bass
are all the ingredients which drive, elevate and heighten the sound of
High Hills.
www.highhills.com
-----------------
Cheryl Richards
Ventura, CA

Posted Image
I play the bass