Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Forum Members' Biographies .... I To L; Bios/Photos of Discussion Group Members.
Topic Started: Jan 2 2007, 02:49 PM (20,019 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
IWS

[color=navy blue] Institute for Wildlife Studies.[/color]

The Mission of the Institute for Wildlife Studies is to gather information necessary to maintain biodiversity and viable populations of all species, and enhance our understanding of the animals with which we share our world.

[color=navy blue]Read more about the IWS eagle restoration project.
http://www.iws.org/ [/color]

Taken from: American Eagle News ... the original article in The San Diego Union-Tribune ... June 24, 2007 .. By Terry Rodgers, Staff Writer.
[ Among the legions of eagle enthusiasts is David K. Garcelon. In 1976, while attending Humboldt State University, Garcelon decided to dedicate his life to re-establishing the bald eagle on the Channel Islands off Southern California.

Eagles on the eight-island chain had been wiped out after DDT affected their ability to reproduce. The pesticide entered the birds' food chain from a manufacturing plant that discharged it into the ocean through a sewage outfall off the Palos Verdes Peninsula near Los Angeles. The DDT caused the birds to lay thin-shelled eggs that either broke in the nest or otherwise failed to hatch.

In 1980, Garcelon founded the nonprofit Institute for Wildlife Studies in Arcata, just north of Eureka, to restore the bird's population on Santa Catalina and the other Channel Islands.

Bald eagle eggs were taken from nests in Canada, Washington state and Northern California and hatched at the San Francisco Zoo. The chicks were transferred to Catalina, raised in high-rise cages called hacking towers and released when they could fly. After adult eagles on the island began reproducing, biologists took their eggs and incubated them in a lab.
I had to create it all from scratch and make it work because no one had the same faith in it that I did, said Garcelon, now 53.

For example, he pioneered the perilous technique of hanging from a helicopter to recover eagle eggs from cliff-top nests. Garcelon began passing along his knowledge to Peter Sharpe, the wildlife biologist, in 1997, when Sharpe joined the Institute as a graduate student. Sharpe eventually took over the Channel Islands eagle project. ]

Anibird/Aug 7/06 ... Dave also worked tirelessly on the conservation and research of bald eagles, island foxes, San Clemente Island shrike, sage sparrows, etc. on the Channel Islands .. and was also an expert witness on behalf of the State and Federal governments during the litigation against the Montrose Chemical Corporation.

After 25+ years of trying to restore bald eagles to the Channel Islands, you can only imagine his joy at seeing A-49 hatch in the wild. He is truly a proud grandpa of A-49
........ ....... ....... ......... ........

In the Spring of 2007 four chicks hatched naturally .. without human asssistance .. on Catalina Island, the first since 1945 .. on the PR & SR nests.
Another Historic year! ..... Cumbrian.

In 2008 the eggs were left on the TR nest as well as the PR and SR nests ... and they all hatched naturally. Also an additional egg was laid at WE after the retrieval .. and this too hatched naturally

In 2009 all the nests ... including TH and WE had their eggs left. All hatched naturally!

Check out the Humboldt Magazine, Fall 2008 .. Article about David Garcelon and how he began saving eagles ... Pages 17-19 http://alumni.humboldt.edu/s/857/index.asp...&gid=1&pgid=316

A request has been made to David Garcelon ... for a Bio/Photo. He did agree in the Spring of 2007 to submit one, but nothing received to date.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
IWS Crew

Posted Image
IWS Island Eagle Crew .............. Chris ........ Dave ........ Jessica ........ Michaela

Posted Image
IWS Crew................... Island Fox ........ Golden Eagle ........ Bald Eagle

.......... Christie ...... Dave ...... Blake ...... Michaela ......Chris ...... Earl ...... Jessica ...... Jodi ..........

July 23rd, 2006. The IWS Crew joined the A-49 Cruzer's Group, in the toast to CRUZ, when we all thought the Eagle Cam was going to be switched off.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Janet

New updated Bio and Photograph still to be received.

This is Janet's original Bio from the Who are you?/ Where From Thread?

Hello Everyone! I am Janet from Vancouver.BC. Born in UK - ( Lived Liverpool -
even saw the Beatles in concert !!) Been in Canada since the Seventies. Single, work as a cashier. Love Motor Racing ( Hello Nancy in Allentown- home of the Andretti family!), Stephen King books, country music and all animals. Also my cat Sox, who's life was a nightmare and who now has someone to love him. This is my first message board and I 'visit' with you all and look for the 'Cruez News ' eachday. Like so many of you - I laugh, cry and have learned so very much while watching 'our son' grow up - about Eagles and not least of which is that we are all on the same journey and I am in good company.

----------------------------
Janet
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Jeanette

Hi, I am Jeanette and it seems that my twin sister Jennifer has said everything about us already.

I was born in London, England, my husband is from Japan and we met in Los Angeles, and because of his career, as a liver transplant surgeon, we have lived in various States, as we followed his boss.
The last place we lived in was Pittsburgh which I really loved, probably because we lived there for 20 years so have good friends there still. I still miss my 200 year old farm house with five acres and a lake.

I also learned to bird there, as we were opposite a wildlife preserve, which had a weekly nature walk. I have been birding now for 20 years and still go to the birding classes in Santa Barbara, as you do not have to be a beginner to attend. I also participate in the Christmas Bird Count. I just enjoy going out to all the beautiful habitats that Santa Barbara has to offer and just being alone and quiet with my binoculars and scope.
--------------------
Jeanette
Santa Barbara, CA

Posted Image
My Westie's name is Tammie and she is 13 years old.
Click on photo to enlarge.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Jennifer Rogers

Hello Everyone,

As most of you know by now, Jeanette and I are twin sisters. We are both 70 years old and were born in London, England. We both worked for an American oil company in London and they asked us to come to the states. I actually had a job lined up in Paris and Jeanette was going to emigrate to Australia. Anyway we came here, loved it and married our husbands in Los Angeles. After living for several years back east, Jeanette now lives in Santa Barbara, thank goodness. Our phone calls are back to normal.

My husband, who is a native Californian, and I, moved up to the paradise known as Cambria, 19 years ago. I have two rescue cats, Stormy and Misty, as they were found on Moonstone Beach as little ones.

Jeanette, my sister, was the one that got me interested in birding and of course Morro Bay has a wonderful birding area.

Wishing everyone happy eagling (is that a word?).

------------
Jennifer
Cambria, CA.

Posted Image

I just wanted to add that my husband Leland and I belong to the Cambria Emergency Rescue Team and the photo is of us in our outfits. This organization helps the sometimes overloaded fire department in their efforts to assist people and animals during an emergency. We were called to help during the 6.5 earthquake in 2003..
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
JillyB

Hi Everyone,
My name is Patti, I'm a native Chicagoan, inner city condo dweller, alum of Southern Illinois University / Carbondale, divorced, no children and past retirement age but still on the job. I work for a small, family owned real estate brokerage / property management firm where my primary function is to keep the mechanical systems of the rental buildings we manage up and running. I'm also active in brokerage but more or less just for fun. As offices go, this office is probably the most pet friendly place on the planet - none of this "Bring Your Pet to Work Day" for us - our pets are welcome everyday. Currently, the regulars are four Goldens, a Pom, Mia the Mutt and a good sized aquarium. Occasionally we have a pair of Havanese, a Tea Cup Poodle and a reptile or two. I share my life with two cats who aren't particularly enthusiastic about canines so they stay at home.

I had never heard of IWS until my sister, KathyK/EAB, sent me the link to the Santa Cruz nest. Needless to say, I was immediately hooked on A-49 who eventually became Cruz. Watching her progress from a hatchling to a beautiful bird in full flight was a very special part of my spring and summer. I'm so looking forward to the coming nesting season I can hardly believe it.

By the way, this is the first and only forum I have ever joined and although I'll never win the blue ribbon for posts, I do try to keep up with all the "happenings". The members of this group are among the most caring, warm hearted, generous and hard working people I have ever encountered. I'm happy to be part of it.

Thanks so much and Happy New Year!

------------------
JillyB/Patti
Chicago, Illinois

[color=navy blue] Please Note: Patti hates to be photographed so a photo is not being posted at this time ..... maybe later? [/color]
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
jkr

Hi there.
I don't post over at this forum very often but since I love to see everyone's Bio I thought maybe I should add mine also.
My name is Judy Ryall. I live in Cranbrook, BC which is located in the Kootenay area of the province right next to the beautiful Rocky Mountains.

---------------------
Judy
Cranbrook, BC. Canada.

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Joanie

Born in Vicksburg, Mississippi on the cusp of Capricorn and Aquarius, I am representative of the huge crush of Baby Boomers rushing full-tilt toward their 'golden years' and lead the pack, age-wise, having been born early in 1946. EVERYone else in my family was a native Texan and it was only the fact that my mother was 'confined' during her pregnancy that prevented them crossing over to their home state for my birth.... the relatives were so concerned that they made immediate arrangements for me to be enrolled as a 'Child of the Republic of Texas' even before they took care of the future of my soul by having me baptized - just goes to show where their priorities were! My parents packed up my brother (12 years my senior) and I later that year and moved the family to California - the San Fernando Valley - following my Mother's brother to the 'promised land' where he was writing scripts for motion pictures and, within a few years, television. I grew up on a 5 acre 3-family 'compound' in the hills of Encino with neighbors quite distant and no other kids with which to interact so the family pets (a pair of cairn terriers, 2 doberman, a great dane, a collie, a pekinese, 3 siamese cats, 3 persians, a scarlet macaw, 2 budgies, 3 pet mice plus tanks of exotic fish and ponds of not so exotic goldfish) and numerous wild critters served as my companions and confidants which cemented my love for 'all creatures great and small'. I went away to college but not very far.... just up the coast a piece to U.C.Santa Barbara where I spent my first two years before transferring to UCLA to finish up my major in Art History and minor in English, chosen because I had a passion for the subject matter but with no regard to having to actually support myself.... afterall, young ladies were still programed 'back then' to marry and raise a family and the education would certainly be supportive to the husband's career and aid in his climb up the corporate ladder... well, that was then.... I've had 3 separate careers since the early 70s when I found myself in Long Beach, a divorced single mom of a 4 year old daughter, Laurie. The first I spent in the world of Cable TV and pioneering that new phenomenom called Pay-TV. When advancement required that I pick up and move to New York leaving my family and support system to raise my daughter alone in Manhattan I opted out, but nearly 30 years later am still in contact with ex-coworkers and keep my finger 'on the pulse' of the industry. The next 'chapter' played out against the backdrop of the beauty industry - the 'professional' side of it, meaning the development of and manufacturing of and marketing of the products that the hairdressers/nail technicians/estheticians use on their clients. It was during this period that I met Scott.... on a BLIND DATE, no less... the only one I ever went on! I long-time acquaintance, Gina, invited me and my daughter (home from UCSB for the summer) to her birthday party and, while there, I met her new beau, Rick. Laurie and I spent some time talking with him as she mingled with her guests and thought he was quite nice. The next day I called Gina and left a quick message thanking her for including us in the event, and mentioned also that I thought Rick seemed perfect for her and ended with 'he doesn't have a brother, does he?'
Famous Last Words!! Six months later I get a call saying that Rick's brother, Scott, gave to Rick for his B-Day 4 tickets to a Laker Game (v.The Celts!) and would I accompany them.... I declined... I was pressured... I agonized... I didn't want to go... I didn't really even like pro-basketball.... but how bad could it be? I knew Gina... I had met this guy that she was now engaged to... it was a public place... oh, I might as well.... The rest, as they say is History! Seventeen years and counting! <3 <3
We each brought daughters into our 'blended family' and we are still 'tapping our talons' and hoping for grandchildren. In the meantime we practice our spoiling skills on our 4 cats. We, kids included, are all so involved that it makes it difficult to spend as much time together as we would like. Scott's daughter, Tiara, lives in Nevada at present. Mine, who lived in Germany for 6 years, now lives in Santa Barbara with her husband of 3 years who works for a Research Center of UCSB called NCEAS (Nat'l Center of Ecological Analysis and Synthesis). After working at several local-area health spas and doctor offices, Laurie now has her own home based private practice as a Licenced Acupuncturist, herbalist and deep tissue and Shiatzu therapist.
I believe Manu touched on our joint career - this time in property management jointly running a 350 slip marina in Huntington Beach, CA. I write a newsletter for the Marina and am always looking for items that would be appropos - I have some 'regular features', one of which is called 'From the Crow's Nest' and I insert 'tidbits' about various birds around the area - especially if there is a sighting of an unusual sort at the contiguous Bolsa Chica Wetlands. One tiny article that caught my eye was about the Bald Eagle Restoration Project and the nestcam on Santa Cruz. I checked the website to make sure it was viable before passing it along in my newsletter and I was hooked from start - but never more so than on banding day. Sharing of the info with our boaters was a great excuse to be able to keep the cam up and 'live' but, like many of you have expressed, I was reluctant at first to post and had never had the desire to join any other forum that I had monitored. This has been a wonderfully warm and enriching experience that I wouldn't give up for the world and my heart goes out to all of you that have made it so. :wub: Thanks, hugs, and best wishes to all you Cruzers and to your loved ones in your own nests and, of course, to 'our' eagles, for a Fabulous 2007!!

--------------------
Joanie
Huntington Beach, CA

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
KLJinOZ

Hi~ Kath Johnson, sister of Karen Johnson - I'm the younger but look the older :blink: I live in Sydney Australia, been her @25 years now. Married to an Aussie country boy, we have one gorgeous 15 daughter, State level Horse showjumper, going National next year. We are lucky to have 8 acres (for the horses, Shorty & Kapri) and surrounded by the 'bush' - Crown land called Garrigal National Forest (after the local Aboriginals). We have LOTS of wild birds, Rozellas, Lorikeets, galahs, Cockatoos (sulpher crested and black, the latter is rare), finches, willy wag-tails (wrens), wood ducks, ibis, honey-eaters, miner birds, and my favorite, the King Parrots. They only show up in the morning starting in early spring in our back yard looking for a handout of sunflower seeds and stop visiting us after late spring, babies? As far as hunting birds, we have several kookaburras and horney owls at night (no pun intended), but no eagles this near metropolis. One has to go country to see a wedged-tailed eagle. See 'Australian Animals' thread under 'Media and Videos' thread for pics.

We also have two dogs, golden retrievers (Larry & Felix, brothers aged 14) and two domestic short hair cats (Tiger and Rainbow). I am lucky to have a business that I conduct mostly from my home office, my computer faces the bush where I can watch the birds. I also occasionally see in the summer months goannas, and much more rare, a snake (tg!) :o

update~ since writing the above, we lost our beloved Larry. Felix is still with us and has adopted Tiger as his new pal (Rainbow being rather aloof).

I loved reading all the posts and watching the Cruz fledge, looking forward to next year! KLJinOz ~ Ozzie
-------------
Kath
Sydney, Australia

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
kljinusa

My name is Karen Johnson and I've lived in Ventura, California, for 16 years. All those years have been spent in the same house, which is under remodeling construction right now. I've been confined to my bedroom (including computer & TV, T.G. for small favors), bathroom and kitchen for 2 months now! And work is not near done yet, but never mind that...

I was born and raised in Glendale, California, next to Burbank. I have also lived in the Santa Clarita area (formerly known as Canyon Country), Pacific Palisades & Woodland Hills. I moved to Hollywood Beach in Oxnard to a 2-story beach rental, which 15 years ago was $1500 rent a month for 2000 sq feet. It was old and rundown, but who cared? There was the beach and the local pub (The Rudder Room) down the street, all was good. That place was sold and I bought my little modest home here in Ventura. That put an end to the pubs! I love this little city and can't imagine leaving it...until I retire anyway.

I became interested in the Channel Islands initially through the owner of my company who kept a private fishing boat at Channel Islands Harbor. Anacapa and Santa Cruz were regular fishing points and I have fond memories of sitting on the boat, waiting for a fish to bite, and being so close to the islands you could swim to them. More recently, the restoration project of the Island Foxes captured my attention. I saw the little pups being raised in captivity, for future reintroduction, at the Santa Barbara Zoo and learned that in order to restore them to the Islands, a few things had to happen. First, the feral pigs had to be eradicated. They were attracting golden eagles, who also feasted on the little foxes. Golden eagles were captured and relocated to the mainland, but to keep them away, Bald Eagles had to be reintroduced. They are very territorial, they will keep away golden eagles, and Bald Eagles only prey on fish or birds. Bald Eagles are indigenous to the Islands, unlike golden eagles, but they were rendered almost extinct due to DDT and other toxins released into the Channel. Hence the Montrose Restoration Project. (Geez, I probably got some facts incorrect and will hear from a biologist with clarifications).

The survival of our Warrior Princess Cruz is part of a bigger plan, the little fox is the true goal, in my opinion.

I am so grateful to IWS and the Ventura Office of Education, who sponsors this forum, for promoting knowledge of Channel Islands National Park. We can all be more effective in managing our environment, where-ever we live, and the key to that is our continuing interest in the scientific projects.

Postscript 11/25/06: Cumbrian asked me to update my profile regarding my Cruz Director activities. I had gone out to Santa Cruz in August for a 1/2 day hike; it was not nearly long enough to explore the island, as a 1/2 day trip includes travel time to and from the harbor on the Island Packers boat. So, that left only 2 hours to explore the Prisoners Harbor area. I wanted to go back, so, I decided to ask if any of our local forum members would be interested in going out for a full day hike. I thought I would get 6 or 7 people interested. To my amazement, 33 of us (15 forum members plus family and friends) were there on October 22nd. And we had one of the most memorable experiences of our lives.

And one more thing. I had my 25th anniversary last August working for my company. At our Xmas party in a couple weeks, I will receive a gold and diamond watch as a service award.

--------------------
KLJinUSA, Karen
Ventura, California,
Cruz Director for Oct 22, 2006 hike on Santa Cruz Island
Ozzie Party Host on Dec 23, 2006
Cruz Director for Santa Rosa Island Spring 2007

Posted Image ........ Posted Image
KLJinUSA ............ This is my beautiful 25 year service award, a gold and diamond watch. I'm very proud of it
Click on photos to enlarge.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
kruzmisl

My name is John and I'm an Eagleholic. Some say I'm Eaglecentric.
I grew up in Philadelphia and went to Temple Univ. who's mascot is the Owl! I came to CA in '78, and live in the Thousand Oaks area. My interests include nature, astronomy, mountain biking, photography, reading and good friends. I'm also on the board of directors of our local symphony.
In my spare time I'm a Mortgage Broker.

------------------------
John.
California.

Posted Image
Click on photo to enlarge
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Lana

I am Lana Powers. No fancy chat name: just Lana. I am 38 and a social worker with Ventura County Children and Family Services. I am a So Cal native of mostly Irish decent. I live in Canyon Country, CA, with my lifemate of 8 years, Ben. He was born in New Zealand to American ex pate parents but moved to the US with his mom at age 3. He does post production film stuff in Burbank. We hope to retire in about 12 years and move somewhere greener. We have some real estate investments in Oregon, New Zealand and Colorado (although I don't think I can move to the latter since there's no ocean!) We also like the San Juan Islands in Washington.
We have two "kids". Zoe is a wild little tail-less cat that I've had since her birth 11 years ago. She still won't let me pick her up although I am free (more like commanded) to pet her and give scritches and belly rubs. I "rescued" her mom from a neighbor who was letting her outdoor cats breed freely, giving the local coyotes, owls and bobcats a steady food supply. I lost the equally-tail-less momma cat ("Cheetah") eleven years later, probably to a coyote or owl as we have plenty of both around these hills.
My Avatar is our other "daughter," Xochitl (pronounced So-Chee). The week before Valentine's Day 2004, I drove past an animal shelter in the high desert, just thought I'd take a quick peek around, and I looked into the eyes of this beautiful golden mutt who had given up all hope. Her death day had passed 3 days before but they'd let her live because they had the room for the time being. Any guesses what Ben had to buy me for Valentine's Day? ($35 included all shots, license, microchipping and spaying). If you've ever seen a photo of a Carolina Dog (AKA American Dingo, the original wild dogs of the Americas), Xochitl looks like one of them but bigger and her ears don't stand up. She had obviously been abused by humans but I'm convinced she also spent some time running with the coyotes, as she had itchy mites that only coyotes get. A brilliant but pricey pet dermatologist in Santa Barbara finally nailed that diagnosis and cured her. She's a wonderful dog and regular viewings of The Dog Whisperer help with the people training.
This is the first board I've ever joined, unless I count a brief run on a Grateful Dead chat group in 1994 when the internet was quite primitive. My friend Rory showed me the eagle cam a few days after Cruz fledged, and from there I found all of you. Now I'm totally addicted. Everyone here is so caring, concerned, helpful, intelligent, and kind. I recently joined another board about my new car and I was really taken aback by the regular bickering and outright hostility between some board members. So I come running back here to be mantled by all of these wonderful souls.

--------------------
Lana
Canyon Country, CA (about 55 miles east of Ventura Harbor)

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Larma16

:rolleyes: Hi all... I am an Eagleholic.. I am Linda Ross and I live in Lompoc, California....Lompoc is on the coast an hour north of Santa Barbara. I used to live in Thousand oaks. I pass by where the islands are all the time even spent some time on Catalina.

I like so many others am a transplant to California... I was born in Utah. Moved to Southern California when I was 18 with my first husband. Now on my second husband who is a 4th generation Californian... thats kind of rare.

I have three kids... my oldest a boy lives near me. My middle son lives in Virginia with his wife and my only grandchild Titus who is 5. My youngest child is a girl and is getting married next June. She graduated from College last June.

--------------------
Linda
Lompoc, California.
Santa Barbara County

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Larry

New updated Bio and Photograph still to be received

This is Larry's original Bio from the Who are you?/Where From? Thread

Hi--My name is Larry,
And I live on the South side of Lompoc CA on a hill -- so I can see on a clear day Surf Beach at the mouth of the Santa Inez River. Retired from Aerospace (45 years). When I retired -- switched from Space birds to Parrots. Have a bird refuge in back yard with Raptors to Quail in evidence--love BIRDS!!

----------------
Larry
Lompoc, CA
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
LBtheScot

Hi:

I am Linda.

Date of Birth: August 6, 1945 (day bomb dropped on Hiroshima!!!!)

Place of Birth: Dundee, Scotland.

Have lived in Santa Maria, California, since September 1969.

Married to Ralph for 37 years. Two sons, Ian, 35, and Matt, 33, both single (I am looking for a couple of nice girls for them). Two cats, LeRoi and Buster.

Work as a medical transcriptionist.

Favorite places: Monterey/Pacific Grove/Carmel, and anywhere in Scotland.

-------------------
Linda
Santa Maria, CA.

Posted Image
Click on the photo to enlarge.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Create a free forum in seconds.
Learn More · Register for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · All About Us Who Watch · Next Topic »
Locked Topic