Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Thursday, Jan 4, 2007; Watching The Nest
Topic Started: Jan 4 2007, 04:23 AM (4,805 Views)
harpo516
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Good morning everyone! Hope this finds everyone well - hearing less and less reports of persons with those nasty bugs so hope that's all behind us. We're due for 63 degree weather on Sat! - need something colder to put those viruses to bed (and we need some snow)

Just read the update - great photos! Thanks Dave and everyone there!
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

harpo516
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
January 4, 2007

Remember the photos I posted yesterday morning - progression of an eagle - well checking my little avatar, today's tidbit:

With reference to an eaglet chick - how do you think the eagle chicks feathers help keep him healthy? Welllllllll = Look at the funky head feathers! These thick feathers grew in very quickly on the baby eagle when it was first hatched, because the head loses body heat faster than the rest of the body. Those long white feathers will be pushed out by the more mature feathers growing in. The thick the down feathers look more like fur than feathers. As the outer feathers grow in, this down will be covered up by" contour feathers"--the feathers that will give it that distinctive eagle appearance. It will take 3 or 4 years for this bird to grow white feathers on its head and tail.

AND: In looking at the photos I posted Wednesday, You can see that eagles can use both eyes together to see ahead. Eagles have eyes set with forward views, like binoculars. An eagle's binocular vision helps it catch prey. Many birds have their eyes set more on the sides. This means limited forward views. (That's why robins tilt their heads to look for worms with just one eye.)

Why the huge nostrils? Birds need to breathe in lots of air for their high-paced activities. Also, eagles need to take in as much oxygen per breath as possible when flying at high altitudes.

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/eagle/jr/...natomyAns4.html

For reference: Posted Image

Visit Eaglepedia

DISCLAIMER: Information here has been gathered in good faith from the internet and cannot be guaranteed to be totally accurate.

harpo516
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Oz is off to the Grand Canyon (lucky dog) :o
HB is working WAY too hard - come in from the dark girl and spend some time with us! :(
Naturegal is sunning herself in FL and golfing (and that's not all bad) B)
CDN is on break from crane watching - again thank you for a great experience!
Cumbrians are now on break from bio posting - what a super job! Can't wait to get thru all of them - wonderful and interesting folks we all are!
Peter - still sitting in snow but he'll have to leave his "heaven" this weekend and come back to reality - US!!
Karen is busy with the next "cruz" - you rock!!
Denny - how's your mom doing? and you ??
Manu and Joanie are out and about - I'm sure celebrating a birthday!
Hedi, Skellis, Bird, Lala - all seem to be enjoying the nest watching - me too!!! even if it took all day for the visitors to pop in yesterday!
And then there's Ma, Chick, PPatti, Patti, Jennifer, Roger, Troth, Ostrich2, Sara, Sandie, Bee, Sheila, Bea, Copperwyrd , Hikers, Lala, Margie and my fingers are getting tired and I really need to get ready for work - boss is back on Monday (darn it) AND oh so many, many more ----------
ED - busy with the camera finger and of course we're all thinking about your little ones
Nancy - counting down - pacing around - we're all there with ya awaiting that new bundle of joy!!!! :pft:
(I feel like the Romper Room Lady when she did the looking glass .... )
IWS Crew is working hard getting ready for things yet to come :ok:
Peter is enjoying last few days of his get away !! :'(
K-10 & 26 are busy with nestorations and
our girl Cruz - is seeing the sites and "hanging"! :)^

So just to cover the bases - here's a NY shout out to ALL cruzers!!

(OK off to work - will see ya in a while!!) :}^ :}^

Naturegal
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MANU - HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HAVE A SUPER DAY!
Posted Image

Naturegal
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Posted Image

Harpo
- How lucky are we, not only eagle tidbits, but now eagleholic tidbits, very cute and much appreciated.

harpo516
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Finally at work

I see Peter is in the nest!! HOWDY!! Lots of activity going on - you'll need something faster than dial up to get caught up! LOL

Bixby
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Good morning from Big Bear. We might get some snow this evening, shovels are ready.

Harpo: As always, thanks for the tidbits, I learn something new every day.

Manu: Happy Birthday!

To all: Have a great Thursday.

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Happy Birthday MANU!

Hope that you have a really super duper day! :D

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Good Morning Everyone.

Just waiting for the nest to show .......

1 eagle at the SC nest!

Eagle Duo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
I've got video.

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
6:44AM other has arrived

Eagle Duo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Here's the other one too! Beautiful fly in!

LBtheScot
Advanced Member
They look so beautiful in this early morning light.

What a way to start the day.

harpo516
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
OK Mom & Dad we need more soft stuff for our little ones to come!!

harpo516
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
I believe K-10 just went off to the rear/right!

(edit: and as I typed that off went K-26 that poor camera with the focusing in the early morning light!)

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Nest Observations · Next Topic »
Add Reply