Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Saturday, January 6, 2007; Eagleholics Anonymous!
Topic Started: Jan 6 2007, 12:32 AM (3,989 Views)
Eagle Duo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Good morning!
My name is Jann and I'm an Eagleholic! :<<>>:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

harpo516
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Good morning - My name is Deb and I'm an eagleholic! :<<>>:

Naturegal
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Good morning - My name is Carole and I am an eagleholic! :<<>>:

Naturegal
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Eagle back at Blackwater osprey nest, looks like some nice soft stuff in middle of nest. Why don't they use their own nest, don't like the neighbours or something!
Posted Image

harpo516
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
And eagleholics need daily info: (it's a bit long but you'll lke the last part)

January 6, 2007

The first egg to be laid is the first egg to hatch and it can take a whole day for the baby to work its way out of the egg more than likely without the parents helping. The broken shells sift down thru the nest as they are broken and crushed by the parents moving around. In a study by scientists, after hatching, the female was on the nest about 90% of the time with the male there about 50% of the time - I know, that's more than 100% but sometimes they are both on the nest! Early in the nesting period, one of the parents was at the nest nearly all the time. The parents will take turns shading the young babies from the hot sun and a parent will brood the babies almost all the time, especially in cool weather, during the first several weeks. Females usually brood more than the male (65% to 35%). On average, about 4 times a day food will be delivered to the nest - more if there is an abundance. The first 2 weeks - dad makes most deliveries; during the next 3 or 4 weeks - the female will provide nearly as much food as the male; late in the period, the female provides most of the food. The chicks will usually lean over the edge of the nest to make poop shots but sometimes they miss or hit each other or a parent! The food leftovers will build up becoming a goopy, stinking mess. Eagles don't know to clean the nest so they will bring fresh leaves and plant parts to cover the mess (dirt under the rug theory).

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/eagle/NestingPhenology.html

Posted Image
Whatcha lookin' at??

Visit Eaglepedia

DISCLAIMER: Information here has been gathered in good faith from the internet and cannot be guaranteed to be totally accurate.

harpo516
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Carole of course we noted how much time the jays and ravens were spending at our eagle nests so.... maybe that is all they are doing! But, kind of makes you wonder doesn't it - and can you imagine - a friend gives you a link to an osprey nest - you click on it - and all you ever see is eagles!!! rofl rofl

Naturegal
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Harpo - copied this line from Paula's quote of yesterday.
The resident eagles like to use if for fishing after the osprey have left....there hasn't been any evidence of refurbishment.
I guess the fishing is better in the osprey nest as most of these nests are man-made overlooking water which makes it convenient for the eagles to fish.

harpo516
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Wellll, DH wants to spend his christmas gift certificates so we're off to NJ to Campmor! so he can buy a new pair of hiking boots! His are ready to retire (and he has no more room to brand them - at the boy scout ranch in NM - when you visit there as a trekker/trainer, you can brand your boots with the cattle and horse brand - it's a tradition! his current boots have 2 brands on each so no more room)

So, off the NJ - will be home early afternoon - I think I'll have him stop at the pet store over there as well - it's pretty big and reasonable (and I think Trinity needs a new toy - yeah right)

So I'll be back ------ :}^

(edit: wow quite a few folks in the nest this morning - howdy everyone!! and Peter - be careful)

cdn-cdn
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Good morning, fellow eagleholics! I hope this link works. It is about a very clever bird who follows commands. Make sure your sound is on for the ball part, because he talks, too!

http://sports.sympatico.msn.ca/Video/?g=7A...36-7881B1C18DDC

Naturegal, the osprey nest looks like it has some soft, fluffy material in the centre. Maybe the eagles brought it in, declaring "squatter's rights" since the one looks so determined there.

Have fun shopping, Harpo. The branding tradition for the hiking boots sounds interesting. I didn't know about that. Thank you for the tidbit, very informative.

My Resolution this year is to clear the clutter, a bit every day. I'll be checking in here for a break every once in awhile.

Dr. Sharpe, are you snowed in?

cdn-cdn
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
The nest is just coming in to view, but I don't see any eagles. :<<>>: :<<>>:

Eagle Duo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
SC just coming into view. No sign of an eagle.....yet!

cdn-cdn
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
One just arrived K26

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
6:46AM The Eagle has Landed! At SC nest.

Eagle Duo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Wow, Cheryl! That bird was something else! Did you hear it at the end saying 'In the basket" as it was carrying the basketball up the ladder to put it in the basket?

Both Eagles at SC
I've got video.

Guess I spoke too soon, huh?

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
6:47AM the other arrives also from the left of nest!

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Nest Observations · Next Topic »
Add Reply