Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
LEMONWOOD EAGLE SQUAD MAKES NEWS!!; Sat. April 14, 2007 Ventura County Star
Topic Started: Apr 14 2007, 07:56 AM (14,939 Views)
peppermint
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
LEMONWOOD EAGLE SQUAD: CONGRATULATIONS!! You are famous!! We are SO proud of you!

From this morning's Ventura County Star:

Oxnard class's long wait pays off as eaglet hatches on Santa Cruz
By Stephanie Hoops (Contact)
Saturday, April 14, 2007

On March 1, the webcam went on right beside a bald eagle's nest on Santa Cruz Island, and Regan Nelson's classroom began to watch.

For more than a month, the 19 children in Nelson's third-grade class at Lemonwood School in Oxnard waited to see if the pair of eagles would have a baby. Chances were good, since the same couple produced an eaglet last year, the first to hatch naturally on the Channel Islands in more than 50 years.

Friday, the Lemonwood Eagle Squad, as the class calls itself, saw their long wait pay off when the baby eagle was born.

"I thought it was interesting when I saw the baby," said Brenda Espinosa, 8. "He looked small and kind of like gray, with a little beak."

Neftali Alvarez, 9, said he thought that it "looked like a dusty bunny."

The children were there when the "dusty bunny" was only an egg. The female laid the egg March 5, and a photo of the kids toasting the happy occasion with sugar-free Fresca hangs on the wall of the classroom.

The Eaglecam was on every day, and the children patiently took 15-minute shifts in front of the monitor, scratching down notes about what the eagles were doing.

"I think it was interesting when the female didn't let the male sit on the egg," Neftali said.

His fellow classmate Damion Mojica was surprised, too.

"Boys don't do that!" was his reaction when they saw it happen during the last few days.

Nelson explained to the children that the female eagle probably sensed that the chick was getting ready to hatch. Not wanting to leave, she shooed the male away.

Nelson posted the children's notes to an online discussion board throughout the event, and they received comments from people as far away as Canada.

"It's good for kids because it's time and science," Nelson said. "Kids need to see their work matter."

National Park Service representatives came to the class Friday to answer the children's questions about eagles.

Eagle populations are coming back to the Channel Islands after declining in the 1960s because of exposure to DDT. The organochlorine pesticide caused the eagles to lay thin-shelled eggs that broke in the nest.

Biologists have introduced more than 60 bald eagles on Santa Cruz Island over the past five years.

"About half have decided to stay," said Kate Faulkner, chief of natural resources management for Channel Islands National Park.

Parks Public Information Officer Yvonne Menard told the Lemonwood Eagle Squad how lucky they were to have this experience. When she was their age, she said, she couldn't have seen an eagle in the wild because of their small numbers.

"You're some of the most engaged students," Menard said. "What I'm really proud of is that you've each taken the time to learn."

Offline Profile Goto Top

Hikers
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
:^: :<<>>: :)^ Lemonwood Eagle Squad :)^ :<<>>: :^: Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

teacherlady
Advanced Member
How cool is this! I cannot wait to show them this post on Monday morning. I have the newspaper article but you made this so special. (and they love to look at this photo of themselves)

Yesterday, I told them about the baby in the morning, and we looked at the computer for a few moments, but then we had assessments to do, and other work that had to be done. But, the phone kept ringing, arranging times for the visitors, etc. Then, in the afternoon, we checked out the captures and the baby, and our visitors started arriving. It was really exciting for them. I think they feel that this chick ^"^ and its parents :<<>>: :<<>>: are"theirs" to watch, to care for. This will be an exciting time, watching the baby grow. All of you have my admiration and my gratitude for including us, making us feel special, feel important.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ojailala
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
To the Lemonwood Eagle Squad.. Congratulations for making the front page of the paper this morning.. You are all so special to all of us that watch the eagles...Knowing kids like you are interested in keeping endangered species going is very important...You will all grow up and remember this experience and the special teacher that made it happen for you.
Offline Profile Goto Top

harpo516
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Congratulatins Lemonwood! I live in NY and I am happy to tell people that I met and know you through our love for The Channel Island Eagles! You always do a great job on helping with the observations that you write. This is a special experience that you are able to share with us, your teacher and most importantly, with each other! We are all looking forward to more of your sharing in the coming weeks! :><: :<<>>: ^"^
Offline Profile Goto Top

SheilaSB
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
LEMONWOOD EAGLE SQUAD - <::: Thank you for all the observations and posting you are doing on the activities of the eagles - so glad you are a part of this experience. All of you are the future generation of continuing to help preserve the endangered species of the world. Thank you again for continuing to contribute posting information of what you observe to Nest Observation . Your teacherlady is able to give all of you an experience that wasn't available to your parents or to most of us at your age. :)^ :<<>>: :^: :}^

I chose these symbols because they represent how proud we are of all of you!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Hikers
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Teacher Lady..
The future is in good hands with students and professional teachers like the Lemonwood Eagle Squad!!!
:><:
Offline Profile Goto Top

teacherlady
Advanced Member
I just sent the link for this page to our District Superintendent and the Media Coordinator for our district. I wanted them to see for themselves the support, encouragement, and praise that have been so wonderful for the students!
Thanks again,
Reagn :D

Also, the students will love all of the symbols you used in your comments. I think that is their favorite thing, besides the eagles.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cockney2
Advanced Member
Lemonwood Eagle Squad - That was a great article about you. You certainly are a huge help in monitoring the eagles in the nest. It will certainly be a busy time now with our new little eaglet to watch. You are doing a great job....keep up the good work.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Hello Lemonwood Eagle Squad ..... You are all famous now! Congratulations :><: :)^ :ok:

As you know K10 and K26's egg has hatched :^: and we are all watching the little ^"^ start to grow bigger every day. But did you know that this ^"^ has an older sibling? Her name is Cruz and she was the first :<<>>: to hatch naturally on Santa Cruz Island, without the help of humans, in 50 years.

A lot of us watched her grow last year and she was banded ... given wing blings ... and known as A-49 ... that is why the forum members are called the A-49's.

When she fledged and left the nest we were :'( so we ... Cumbrians ... made this video and called it ... Memories of our time together.

It starts with the Team taking the equipment over to the Island to set up the EagleCam and you will see the tree where the camera is attached.
Then K10 and K26 sitting on the egg and then looking down at her .... May I suggest that you read her biography in the A to Z ... here is the quick link to it ...

http://z7.invisionfree.com/CHIL_EagleCAM/i...p?showtopic=692

and this will help you follow the pictures on the video .... you will see her Branching ... and sitting on the E branch ... now known as the Far branch, due to the new camera angle ... and Fledging ... Then you will see her sitting on some trees and see how far she flew from the nest the first few days. On one of the pictures she is hard to find ... she is in the middle of the tree ... look for her blue wing bling ... Her mom and dad were always close to her ... either sitting above her on the tree or flying above the place she was.

One week after she fledged she returned to the nest ... You will see K26 on the nest and A-49 below it ..... and finally ........

I have given you this background information so that you will be able to understand the pictures as they appear, because I don't think you were watching the nest last year.

So here is "Memories of our time together" ..... I hope that you enjoy it.

:<<>>: http://s83.photobucket.com/albums/j291/Cum...s2Slideshow.flv :<<>>:

Looking forward to all your future reports on Nest Watch ..... We :wub: your observations about the ^"^ and the :<<>>: :<<>>:
Offline Profile Goto Top

cdn-cdn
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Bravo to the Lemonwood Eagle Squad! You are all excellent observers and writers. I always read and enjoy your comments about the eagles.
In future years I know that you'll look back on this year with your special teacher as one of your best years ever. By observing the eagles you are expanding your learning in so many other ways. Keep up the super job!

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Naturegal
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
LEMONWOOD EAGLE SQUAD AND TEACHERLADY - We are all so proud of your accomplishments. Your participation in this forum has been a highlight and we look forward to all your daily reports of the :^: ^"^ . Thank you so much for all your contributions, you are famous now :)^ <:::

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

MSRP_Team
Hello all -

I was one of the lucky ones that got to visit the Lemonwood Eagle Squad on Friday - what a GREAT group of kids! Lots of energy, and tons of questions about eagles!

I thought I'd share a couple of photos from the visit...

Reagan and a student viewing the discussion board.
Posted Image

Two students observing the eagles and recording observations.
Posted Image

A toast to the new chick!
Posted Image

Reagan, MANY thanks again for letting us hang out with you for the afternoon! I will get your email from Yvonne and make sure that one of us sends copies of these photos to you.

Looking forward to seeing you again (and meeting many others of you!) on the trip out to Santa Rosa Island on the 29th!

Happy nest-watching!

Milena

Outreach Coordinator,
Montrose Settlements Restoration Program
Offline Profile Goto Top

Teddy_Neal
Unregistered

Well, that's so beautiful!

You students are the greatest!
Goto Top

Hikers
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Are they giving a Toast? That is such a cute picture..I love the hats outreach ladies.. B-))
Offline Profile Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Classroom Connections · Next Topic »
Locked Topic