Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Technical Update; Technical Update
Topic Started: May 4 2007, 07:18 AM (3,578 Views)
creznicek
Administrator
The EagleCAM media server was physically moved down to Orange County Department of Education on Wednesday morning to help alleviate bandwidth congestion. In order to make the move we had to change the DNS entry for the server. Those having problems connecting are probably having trouble because your local DNS cache has the old IP address. This should update on its own in a day or so but if you want to fix things now you will need to flush out the old DNS infomation.

How do I flush a computer's DNS cache?

When a computer visits a website for the first time, it stores the website's DNS information in cache. [Think of the DNS as the program that directs your computer to the correct address on the web]

The next time the computer visits a website, it looks in the cache to see if the website's information is present to use. This can cause problems if the website's DNS information has changed since the computer's last visit. Flushing the cache removes all the information stored in cache, forcing the computer to find the new DNS information for the website.

To flush DNS for a computer running Windows, please follow these steps:

1. On your local machine, open a command prompt. Windows XP, "Start -> Run ->
2. Within the prompt, type ipconfig /flushdns (please note the spacing.. you need a space between ipconfig and the / but no space between the / and flushdns

To flush DNS for a computer running Mac OS, please follow these steps:

1. On your local machine, open a terminal window.
2. Within the prompt, type lookupd -flushcache.

For more information -- Websites that might help:

Windows
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=330 (graphics)
http://www.hostmysite.com/support/info/flushdns/
http://www.hostmysite.com/support/info/commandprompt/

Mac
http://face.centosprime.com/macosxw/?p=204
http://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=330 :bam:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

peppermint
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
WOw....thanks for that detailed information about how to "flush"! I haven't had any problems connecting but I'm going to keep the info for later reference.

CarolAnn
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thank you, Cathy!! And to David Luff, also, who posted a temporary link to the SC nest. . . somewhere here :blink:

blue_velvet22000
Advanced Member
CarolAnn,May 4 2007
02:05 PM
Thank you, Cathy!! And to David Luff, also, who posted a temporary link to the SC nest. . . somewhere here :blink:

Carol, Do you have thw temporary link to the Santa Cruz cam? Maybe this would help me......I haven't seen anything there in over a week!! Thanks - Barbara :'(

Patti
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
At the risk of sounding like a total idiot, does this mean it flushes the entire cache (memory), or just that involving the SC nest? I'm not a tech person at all and am afraid of possibly erasing info I do use. I tend to click on that stored memory stuff, so......?

Anybody understand what I'm trying to express? :wacko:

Sara Oh
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
This is not working for me. I still have a frozen, preening K-26 from yesterday, although the audio is current. Any suggestions? :bam:

juno
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Patti,May 4 2007
07:48 PM
At the risk of sounding like a total idiot, does this mean it flushes the entire cache (memory), or just that involving the SC nest? I'm not a tech person at all and am afraid of possibly erasing info I do use.  I tend to click on that stored memory stuff, so......? 

Anybody understand what I'm trying to express?  :wacko:

Not to worry Patti..I was wondering the same thing :)

I flushed my DNS cache this morning and it didn't seem to change my other bookmarks., cam links, etc. I can now get the SC cam from the main IWS page but still can only get a frozen picture..the same as yesterday.

Sara Oh
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
I think the problem was not a computer one but a webcam one. Whatever it was, it is fixed now! Beautiful, clear picture on SC.

kljinusa
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
I'll try this tomorrow, the cam is probably going to shut down for the night soon. I just got back from being up north and I wanted my nest fix and it's all kablooyee.. :( add tears to this unsmiley face.

« Previous Topic · What are your questions? · Next Topic »
Add Reply