Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Recipe Exchange; Share your best, favorite & unique
Topic Started: Aug 3 2007, 06:22 PM (35,461 Views)
ElaineRuth
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
I'm not known as a gourmet cook, but this is the recipe I am always asked for (ending sentence with a preposition) ;)

ER's COLE SLAW

3 BAGS SHREDDED CABBAGE & CARROTS SLAW MIX (or you can shred your own into long, thin strips - that's what usually I do)
3/4 QT. HELLMAN'S OR KRAFT'S MAYONAISSE
6 TBSP. SUGAR
2 TBSP. WHITE VINEGAR

PUT SHREDDED CABBAGE & CARROTS IN VERY LARGE BOWL.
IN MEDIUM BOWL, WHIP BY HAND, MAYONAISSE AND SUGAR. AFTER SUGAR IS DISSOLVED, ADD VINEGAR, STIRRING WELL.
ADD MAYO MIXTURE TO SLAW AND TOSS AND STIR UNTIL WELL COATED.
TRANSFER TO APPROPRIATE SIZE BOWL , COVER AND REFRIGERATE OVER NIGHT (that is most important step).
STIR BEFORE SERVING.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

harpo516
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
If you'd like your recipe to be considered for inclusion in a possible IWS cookbook, please copy it to the Support IWS Forum - Cookbook Thread:

IWS Cookbook Link

More details to follow!

KLJinOz
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Here is my DownUnder contribution with some History

Deep at the centre of Australian folk tradition is the memory of a simple, hand made bread prepared by several generations of pioneers and travelling bush people.
For historical and economic reasons in the 19th century and later, Australia's often isolated rural population relied on a very small group of staples which were both durable and easily transportable - flour, tea, sugar - supplemented by whatever fresh meats were available. While this diet was far from nutritious by modern standards, it was enough to support life in the harsh conditions of the Outback.
With these commodities the only ones available, and no reliable access to settlements and established bakeries, outback workers and travellers, resorted to their own version of bread, cooked as required on an open fire at the campsite. For this purpose, the traveller simply mixed flour with a rising agent (baking powder) and water, to produce a stiff dough that could be baked on the coals of a wood fire. In time, a variety of flour with the rising ingredient pre-mixed became available, known as "self raising " flour.
The bread made in this way became known as "damper" (because the fire was "damped" down to a moderate heat for this particular purpose).
This technique remains firmly embedded in the folk memory of modern Australians, but is no longer widely practised. Modern explorers in their 4 X 4's can carry as much "shop bread" as they wish, and no longer require the skills of their ancestors.
However, this technique has something to offer non-motorised travellers in the past - need a wholesome staple food that is simple to carry, easy to prepare, and good to eat.
While I do not suggest that this bread is a sufficient food in itself, damper is a very practical idea for the following reasons:
no hardware required - except cup or bowl to mix dough in
no fuel necessary - uses wood on site
simplicity - apart from water and a little salt, only one ingredient ( self rising/raising flour). No yeast or "starter" is necessary.
very compact - the ingredient is easy to carry, just add water
cheap - much cheaper than bread or crackers
economical - make only as much as you want, when you want it
fresh - makes breakfast on the spot, & pack another for lunch
adaptable - add dried fruit or sugar for a sweet bread. Add fibre, cheese & herbs as you wish.
quality - much higher than factory bread
quick - fire takes 15 mins to make coals, then bread cooks in 5 - 10 mins
accessibility - self raising flour is readily available from general stores , even in remote areas

Plain Damper
Damper is an Aussie traditional bread, usually baked in the ground
2 cups self raising flour,
1/2tsp salt,
1 1/2 cups milk,
1tsp sugar,
1tsp butter.
Method:
Sift the flour, sugar and salt into a bowl and then add the butter, add enough milk to make a manageable dough. Shape into a flat ball and place on a greased and floured oven tray, bake at 220c(400f) for 25-30 mins, baste with milk during cooking.
Serve hot...with lashings of butter (golden syrup and jam, goes very well with this bread)
OR
Cheese and sage damper
Ingredients:
2 cups wholemeal (self raising)flour,
3/4 cup grated cheese,
1/2tsp paprika,
1/2tsp black pepper,
1tsp dried sage leaves,
40g butter or margarine,
1 cup milk(evaporated),
3tsp milk,
2tsp parmesan cheese(grated),
2tsp poppy seeds.
Method:
In a food processor, add the flour, paprika, pepper, sage, add the butter and process, till crumbly.
Add the evaporated milk and milk, grated cheese and mix to a soft dough, on a lightly floured surface, knead the dough and shape into a flat ball (20cm)(8")
Using a sharp knife, cut almost through the dough (making 8 wedges), brush the top with milk and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and poppy seeds.
Bake at 180c(350f) for 25-30 mins, serve warm with lashings of butter.

Posted Image

Ozzie :}^

ElaineRuth
Member Avatar
Advanced Member

Kath, that really sounds good. Does anyone on here use a bread machine? If so, I have several recipes and would be interested in getting some new ones, too.

KLJinOz
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
My DH has one (I never touch it!) But he has been too busy to use it lately :'(

ElaineRuth
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Bisquick Cheddar Garlic Biscuits

Serves 9

2 cups Bisquick, regular
2/3 cup milk, skim
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
2 Tbsp. butter, melted
1/8 tsp. garlic powder

1. Heat oven to 450 degrees.
2. Mix Bisquick, milk & cheese to form soft dough.
3. Drop by 9 spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake 8 to 10 minutes.
5. Mix butter and garlic powder; brush over warm biscuits.

kljinusa
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Wow, I'm impressed with Ozzie's historical recipe. For those that don't know who KLJinUSA and KLJinOZ are, we are sisters and she often posts stuff that I don't know about and just stumble across from time to time. And that's what just happened now.

I'm not going to make Ozzie damper bread, but I hope she makes lavender lemonade during her summer.

Meanwhile, I'm eyeing ER's Bisquick chedder biscuits....

ElaineRuth
Member Avatar
Advanced Member

It's a "company's coming, make something quick" stand by. It's pure and simple. I make it with summer fruit this time of year. Today was peaches and blueberries. Plums are equally good. It's great in the fall with apples and a sprinkling of fresh cranberries.

Fruit Torte

1 stick soft butter creamed with 1 cup sugar
add 2 eggs, 1 cup flour, 1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp vanilla

Spread batter in buttered pan, cover with fruit (line them up and be generous)
sprinkle with sugar mixed with some cinnamon
Bake at 350 till you stick a knife in the middle and it comes out clean. This is an old fashioned-seat- of-your-pants recipe...anyhow...depends on the pan...glass or metal and how shallow...I double this a lot and make it in a large pyrex oblong pan. You won't throw out this recipe The best part is what's stuck in the pan...little crispy stuff...enough to keep me happy. And a little vanilla ice cream on the side of the dish is never bad, either!

peppermint
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Karen: Lavendar Lemonade was on the menu of Sandie's award winning place setting at the fair.

Eagle Duo
Member Avatar
Eagleholic
Here's a quick & yummy, guilt-free treat to satisfy a sweet tooth:

1 low-fat graham cracker
2 Tbls. sugar-free applesauce
1 Tbls. Cool Whip Free
dash cinnamon

Break the graham cracker in half and put in the bottom of a custard cup. Top with the applesauce and sprinkle a little cinnamon on top. Heat in microwave for 15 seconds. Top with Cool Whip Free and enjoy!

Jeanette
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
CRUNCHY SALAD

l package (3 ounces) chicken ramen noodles
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 tablespoons cider vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
5 cups shredded green cabbage
3/4 cup chopped green pepper
3/4 cup chopped red sweet pepper
1/2 cup shredded red cabbage
1/2 cup shredded carrot
1/2 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup slivered almonds, toasted (I don't toast them)
2 tablespoons sesame seed, toasted (optional)

Break noodles, set aside (I put them in a baggie and crunch them with a hammer).
In a jar with a tight fitting lid, combine the oil, vinegar, sugar, oregano, salt, pepper, and half of the contents from the noodle seasoning packet, shake well. (Discard remaining seasoning or save for another use). In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Add noodles and dressing, toss to coat.

Jeanette

ojailala
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Mina... That's what I'm talking about.. that cute 'Sweet Peeps' title.. that sounds wonderful and I love the sound of this one...

ElaineRuth
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Hot Artichoke Dip -- Easy

1 (14 oz) can artichoke hearts, drained and chopped

1 cup mayonnaise

1 cup grated Parmesan cheese

1 clove garlic, finely chopped

Combine all ingredients.

Bake uncovered at 350 degrees for 25 min. or until heated through.

Teddy_Neal
Unregistered

Taco Soup

1 or 2 lbs ground beef
1 package taco seasoning mix
1 package Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix
2 cans chicken broth
1 can Rotel diced tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes with juice
1 can whole kernel corn with juice
1 can hominy with juice
2 cans pinto beans with juice
1 can chopped green chilies
1 small onion chopped

Directions:
Brown ground beef with chopped onion and drain
Add taco seasoning & ranch dressing and mix
Add everything else
Bring to a boil
Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes

Serve with tortilla chips and shredded cheese

It doesn't take long to make and it's delicious right away.
But, it gets better each time it's reheated.
(The amount of meat depends on your taste)

Quote Post Goto Top

ElaineRuth
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Sounds great, Denny. Sounds like it feeds a lot of people!
(but I have to leave out the Hominy).
:unsure:

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Daily Chat · Next Topic »
Add Reply