Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
A-63; Bad News
Topic Started: Aug 20 2007, 06:19 PM (52,157 Views)
Eagle Guy
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
I'm sorry to announce that A-63 is dead.

He was found in the middle of a road in northern Nevada on Wednesday, August 15th by a gentlemen driving by at 70 mph who saw our bird with wingmarkers, etc. and stopped to check it out because he thought someone was probably tracking it. He got our phone number off the GPS unit and also called the Bird Banding Lab number on the leg band. We can only assume that he was killed by a car while scavenging for food on the highway. The GPS unit had been knocked off and run over, but our good samaritan is going to send it to us anyways. He choose not to pick up the carcass because he didn't want to carry around a dead animal, it would have been illegal and he would have carried it across state lines without the proper permits. By now it has probably been dragged off by scavengers, so we won't attempt to recover it. Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news.

Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

KLJinOz
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Eagle Guy,Aug 20 2007
07:19 PM
I'm sorry to announce that A-63 is dead.

He was found in the middle of a road in northern Nevada on Wednesday, August 15th by a gentlemen driving by at 70 mph who saw our bird with wingmarkers, etc. and stopped to check it out because he thought someone was probably tracking it. He got our phone number off the GPS unit and also called the Bird Banding Lab number on the leg band. We can only assume that he was killed by a car while scavenging for food on the highway.  The GPS unit had been knocked off and run over, but our good samaritan is going to send it to us anyways. He choose not to pick up the carcass because he didn't want to carry around a dead animal, it would have been illegal and he would have carried it across state lines without the proper permits. By now it has probably been dragged off by scavengers, so we won't attempt to recover it.  Sorry to be the bearer of such bad news.

Oh, this is awful, I am soo sorry this has happened. :'(
I have no words but sadness

ostrich2
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
What terribly sad news. No matter what we do there are always dangers for these wild creatures when they are near human activity. A-63 was such a strong young eagle and it is very sad we won't see him flying again on the Channel Islands.

Goodbye Limuw - at least he got to feel the wind underneath his wings and soar during his short life. :(

Hikers
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
I'm so sorry for this bad news..
but a good samaritan found our eaglebird to notify all of us..

Posted Image

Paula eaglet momster
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Godspeed, Limuw.

Posted Image

Teddy_Neal
Unregistered

It will always hurt.

God be with you in the Happy Hunting Ground!

Quote Post Goto Top

harpo516
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Harpo & EagleScout

silveregal
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
I am totally in shock, I can't believe this. I don;t think I can tell my students.
Everyone knows this happens with nature but it is not easy to except. :'( :'( :'(

glo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
To Dr Sharpe especially but to all of you who give so much for these gorgeous birds I am so very saddened and sorry to read this news. I am grateful though that someone did find him and did contact you. I have no other words either just tears over the sadness and yet gratefullness for all your hard work with these eagles and your willingness to share so much with us who watch and grow to love you and what you do from a distance.

summer818
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
:'( Dr. Sharpe and Eagle Friends, my heart breaks! I ache inside! I had a bad feeling about him leaving the safety of the islands. How can a 4 month old have such a tragic ending. Thank you Dr. Sharpe for taking such good care of our boy! I grieve for him, and the loss to all of us! :'(

Naturegal
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
GOD BLESS YOU LIMUW, MAY YOU REST IN PEACE. YOU WILL ALWAYS BE LOVED <3
Posted Image Posted Image

margiew
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
I am struggling to find the right words to express my sorrow at the loss of Limuw. I can think of none. Thank you to Paula and Harpo for the tributes.

Joanie
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Typing through tears as my heart breaks... for brave, strong, and fearless Limuw, for all of us who loved him and cheered his every move, for Dr. Sharpe who on top of his own sadness, had the unpleasant task of breaking the bad news and to the rest of the dedicated IWS crew who are grieving along with the rest of us.
Mantles and hugs all around
<:3

harpo516
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
thank you Joanie - you said what I was thinking - mantles to Peter Steffani and the IWS Crew!

Naturegal
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Joanie,Aug 20 2007
11:23 PM
Typing through tears as my heart breaks... for brave, strong, and fearless Limuw, for all of us who loved him and cheered his every move, for Dr. Sharpe who on top of his own sadness, had the unpleasant task of breaking the bad news and to the rest of the dedicated IWS crew who are grieving along with the rest of us.
Mantles and hugs all around
<:3

Beautifully said Joanie. Thank you. <3

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · IWS Updates · Next Topic »
Add Reply