Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Catalina Update; Wednesday, December 5, 2007
Topic Started: Dec 5 2007, 06:48 PM (3,064 Views)
Eagle Guy
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Hello eagle fans,

We have a terrific update for you this week.

Last Thursday Pete and I went to the reservoir and built an eagles’ nest on a Pine tree for the reservoir eagles. Well, Pete was actually the one who climbed the tree and set up the nest, I stayed on the ground and picked up all the branches, sticks and pine needles needed to build the nest and Pete pulled them up with a rope. It took us the whole day but he did a great job, he put those “eagle skills” to work. It’s a bit smaller than other eagles’ nests so K-93 and A32 may have to add to it if they decide to use it.

We decided to give them a hand because K93 hasn’t been too successful building nests in the past and this time we want to encourage them to breed because they have a good chance of hatching healthy chicks (they feed mostly on clean fish from the reservoir). This would be one of the nests to be left to hatch naturally next spring.

We’re really hoping that they do use it or (or build somewhere else) since this tree is one of their favorite roosting spots, it’s very nicely sheltered, the tree is about 30ft away from the water and the view is amazing. See for yourselves.

Posted Image

We also watched K-75 (one of the Twin Rocks juveniles) drinking water on the other side of the lake but I didn’t have my camera with me so no picture.

On Friday it rained pretty heavily all day, which is probably why our cameras didn’t work so well that day. I couldn’t do any telemetry but I did go to the interior to feed our eagles. I went into Hyde’s cage and found him drying out on his low perch.

Posted Image

He looked at me as I approached him with the glove but I didn’t want to remove him from his sheltered spot and take him out of the cage so I picked him up and fed him right there. He had the most adorable drenched look.

Posted Image

Pimu on the other hand loves the rain. She looked like she had been out in the rain the whole morning and even while I fed her she didn’t go to her sheltered perches. She’s definitely a “water” eagle.

Posted Image

Here’s another shot of Hyde being held outside of the cage. He’s been doing so much better going thru the gate.

Posted Image

I did some telemetry over the weekend and Pete and I spent most of Sunday working on the Cruzers cookbook. Check it out:

http://www.cafepress.com/iws_store/4218337

On Monday we set up a camera at Twin Rocks. Here’s Pete hooking up the camera box to a tripod, which is very firmly attached to the rock.

Posted Image

The camera sits about 40m away from the nest.

Posted Image

It looks wonderful and here’s a little preview of what you’ll be able to watch next breeding season.

Posted Image

Yesterday we went out to the West End to replace the transmitter/receiver. We should be getting a much clearer picture now and in January will rotate the transmitter to go straight to the International Bird Rescue Research Center in San Pedro, where we plan to transmit the video from four different nests and get them on-line at a higher quality, more like that of the Pelican Harbor Nest.

Here’s a video of yesterday afternoon at the West End.

Posted Image

Finally, last week Pete had a meeting with the Montrose Trustee Council to give an overview of the year on the eagle projects (they fully fund the Northern Channel Island work and a portion of the Catalina work). Because the eagles are moving between Catalina and the northern islands and the populations are not distinct, IWS recommended that the two projects be combined into a single "Channel Islands Bald Eagle Restoration Program". The Trustees agreed, so Catalina is going to get more money next year, but only about half of what we were getting before 2006. We will also have the flexibility to move personnel between the islands to where they are needed the most at any particular time (e.g., banding time on Catalina).

Steffani and Pete
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

harpo516
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
YEAH come on Reservoir Couple - :X: :X: :X: You have a great start with the help of B-)) and :<S><: and the rest of us are cheering you on!!

Geez that nest looks far away from the cam! Guess that's why they have zoom lens - love Pimu and Hyde!

Congrats on the funding (hope more to come down the road :X: :X: :X: ) Best of luck to all of IWS in the upcoming eagle season! May there be lots of healthy ^"^ ^"^ ^"^

As always - thank you for the update (and new cams)

ps loving that TR view --- with the water behind!

ElaineRuth
Member Avatar
Advanced Member

What a wonderful update! Where to begin?? So much video; such clear shots of nests; great pix of Hyde and Pimu with commentary; so much information!!!!
I feel like someone who was dying of thirst and just found a clear, pristine lake!! Thank you so much.
:wub:

silveregal
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
:><: :><: :><: Great, new nest hopefully aand new cameras one 2 more nest and more funding for IWS. Wonderful post. :**: :**:

SoCal Lady
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Peter and Steffani---this is all so exciting! Peter your eagle nest building skills look "eagle professional." Gosh, I hope 93 and 32 like your "nest" your built for them and they add to it---especially since we heard about 93's nest building skills as so far flunking and him actually falling thru some of his attempted ones in the past.

Maybe since it appears A32 has decided to be his partner, the two of them together , may help his skills---if they do not choose this fine abode you have contstructed for them.

I AM ECSTATIC ABOUT TWIN ROCKS CAM---one of my favorite nest sites, probably because we can sit on the water and watch them from below---but this camera, peering right into the nest and the water directly below ---awesome view.

Hyde looks so much bigger outside his enclosure, or maybe it is just the angle of the photo----

Good news on the funding and combining Catalina with the other Islands---after all they are all the Channel Islands chain.

BRAVO B-)) AND BRAVO :<S><:

Paula eaglet momster
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
WOW!! JUST WOW!!

KLJinOz
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
All I can say is OMG, what fantastic views! :)^

hedi
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Great update as always.

Hyde looked kind of miserable in the rain didn't he?

Twin Rocks looks like it will a wonderful nest to watch. It is in such a gorgeous location.

K93 and A32 are certainly spoiled eagles getting their nest built for them. Hope it works! I just love this pair. :wub:

Posted Image

kljinusa
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
The cookbook is available! Very cool, I'm going to order a few, one for me, some as gifts. I may have a lavender lemonade recipe in there..

It's good news that the Montrose group is combining their funding of your efforts on Catalina along with the northern Channel Islands. IWS is based there and it seems like a good place to conduct research. However, I would like to see you guys spend more time on Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa... any plans?

margiew
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
How to describe my feelings over this weeks update was a big puzzle until I remembered this word:

SUPERCALIFRAGILISTICEXPIALIDOSHIOUS :soar: :**: :><: :soar: :<S><: B-)) :soar: :**: :><: :soar:

Eagle Guy
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
kljinusa,Dec 5 2007
08:42 PM
It's good news that the Montrose group is combining their funding of your efforts on Catalina along with the northern Channel Islands. IWS is based there and it seems like a good place to conduct research. However, I would like to see you guys spend more time on Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa... any plans?

Steffani and I are the two working on Catalina, and then I have 6 people working on Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa during the breeding season (two on Cruz, one on Rosa at any time).

cdn-cdn
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
This is so exciting, I can hardly wait for another nesting season to begin. Keeping my talons crossed for A32 and K93, thank you Dr. Sharpe for giving them a head start, and Steffani for your assistance. I thought Hyde looked so much smaller inside the enclosure compared to outside, had to scroll back and double-check. Maybe because he was wet. Learned something new about Pimu, too, that she loves the rain! Looking forward to seeing the action at Twin Rocks, what a beautiful location. Glad to know that K75 is doing well. Congrats on the funding, too. Wow what an update! Thank you, B-)) and :<S><: !! :**:

Patti
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
All such great news and views. Since last year I've been thinking the two eagle projects would make more sense combined, so this is especially good to hear.

There's something about the tree nest building that choked me up. The tree and view are beautiful and looks like a perfect spot. A-32 appears to be a fantastic female. I'll never forget seeing her on the PH nest and being in awe of her size. She strikes me as an excellent breeder type. I hope 93 & 32 realize what a fantastic nest they have.

Thank you for the wonderful Update.

kljinusa
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Eagle Guy,Dec 5 2007
07:48 PM
kljinusa,Dec 5 2007
08:42 PM
It's good news that the Montrose group is combining their funding of your efforts on Catalina along with the northern Channel Islands.  IWS is based there and it seems like a good place to conduct research.  However, I would like to see you guys spend more time on Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa... any plans?

Steffani and I are the two working on Catalina, and then I have 6 people working on Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa during the breeding season (two on Cruz, one on Rosa at any time).

Thank You!

SheilaSB
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
PETE AND STEFFANI - DON'T HOW YOU DO IT, BUT EACH NEW UPDATE OUTDOES THE OTHER - SUCH WONDERFUL NEWS ABOUT THE TWIN ROCKS CAM - LOVED THE VIDEO OF THE NEST BUILDING - HYDE AND PIMU PICS ARE FANTASTIC - PETE, HOW MANY NESTS HAVE YOU BUILT PREVIOUS TO THIS ONE?

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · IWS Updates · Next Topic »
Add Reply