Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Twin Rocks Eagle's Nest 2007/2008; Nestorations to Fledging.
Topic Started: Dec 6 2007, 12:00 AM (4,617 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
This All Eagles All The Time 2007/2008 was to have been an Archival/History in Videos and Still captures ... similar to the other nests ... showing the various stages throughout the year in the lives of the Twin Rocks Nest Eagles.

A new camera was set up on Monday, December 3rd, 2007 ... about 40m away from the nest ... to enable us to monitor events at this nest during the next nesting season. On January 30th, 2008 Dr Sharpe set up the transmission tower ... we were getting closer to viewing this nest ... then in February .. after watching for several days and not seeing the eagles .. we got the news ... they had moved to another nest that was inaccessible for a camera to be placed close by.

This thread was therefore closed ... and all updates about the nest was posted on the 2008, Another Historical Year? Thread.

Although Twin Rocks was not ‘On Camera’ ... Season 2006/2007 was a very successful one for this nest ... 2 eggs laid ... 2 successful hatches at the IWS facilities, both chicks fostered back into the nest and both successfully fledged at the end of June.

Please check out the Class of 2007 ... Another Historic Year to enjoy last season’s memories ... pictures and videos ... from February to August ... through the IWS Catalina Updates.

Because the Pinnacle Rock and Seal Rocks Nests were successful last season in hatching their eggs .. left in the nests for the first time .. the biologists had discussed leaving the Twin Rocks Nest eggs to hatch naturally this year. As the new nest was on a treacherous narrow ridge this was the deciding factor! Some thought had to be given however as to how they could see into the nest to monitor how many eggs were laid and chicks hatched .. then of course there was also Banding Day!

Dr Sharpe again tried to place a camera so we could view the nest .. but the winds blew it down. So imagine our surprise when on June 3rd, 2008 the camera came online once more ... although the feed is sporadic ... the team must have placed it closer to the nest on Banding Day.

The adult eagles .. K-33 (15 year old male) and K-17 (23 year old female) .. were successful this year ... 2 eggs hatched naturally and their twins were banded on May 28/08.

So we missed their Nestorations and their Bonding and the Eggs/Incubation stages and also the Hatching of their Chicks.
But ... all these stages .. that would normally have individual threads .. were monitored by the IWS and we got news via the Catalina Updates during February to May .. and the information with videos/photos are on those monthly posts below.

So here we are at the final stage ... Banding Day to Fledging. Hopefully the camera will cooperate and we will be able to watch the eaglets ... K-88 and K-89 prepare themselves to leave the nest ... and we will wish them God Speed and Safe Journeys when that time comes.

As you know .. from the other AEATT nest threads ... all the Videos and Stills have been selected .. as their favourites ... by the members who have captured them on Nest Watch.
You can see more videos and still pictures by visiting the Daily Observations thread. Also known as Nest Watch

We ask you NOT to post comments in this thread. VIEWING ONLY PLEASE! This will enable faster viewing by Dr. Peter Sharpe and the IWS Team ... for record purposes .... and also for Members and visitors to the forum.

We do however welcome comments, about any of the eagles, or the different stages, in the Daily Nest Watch or Chat threads. Thank You.

Capturers are asked to wait until Cumbrian or EDblue (Eagle Duo) posts the first thread of each day before oosting or reserving a space for your videos and/or captures of the day to keep continuity to the archives.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
JANUARY UPDATE & PHOTOS

:clk: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 :clk:

We are getting closer to viewing this nest ....

Posted Image ... Posted Image ... Posted Image

Here is Dr Sharpe setting up the transmission tower at Twin Rocks Nest on Catalina Island

Posted Image
..... and this is what the TR nest looks like on January 30/08. Click on screen to play video.

(Pictures/video courtesy of Steff/eaglegal)
(Click on thumbnail to see full-size)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
FEBRUARY UPDATES

^"^ Wednesday, February 13, 2008^"^
Posted Image..... Posted Image
West side of TR........................... K-17 & K-33

Steff: "They seem to be together as a pair and vocalize to each other constantly but they’re not nesting just yet. They don’t really need that much anyways, maybe in the next few days we’ll watch them bringing some dry grass and a few sticks".

^"^ Wednesday, February 20, 2008 ^"^
Posted Image
The same place as last week

Steff: "It looks like they have not done anything to their nest and we haven’t seen them carrying any nesting material anywhere else either".

Eagle Guy,Feb 19 2008
11:41 AM
The cams were down this weekend because there was a computer problem. The computer is on the mainland and I'm usually on the island. I just put some software on the mainland computer, so I can now access it from anywhere and can restart things as needed (I just tested it, so that is why the feeds went down).That should make for more reliable feeds, at least as far as the encoding and uploading is involved.

The Twin Rocks birds are apparently using a new nest, so I wouldn't bother trying to cover that one. I doubt it will be possible to get a camera on the new nest, but I may replace it with the Rattlesnake nest. I'll be working on things on the mainland this afternoon, so cams may go down periodically.

As you can see this nest will not be used this season by K-33 and K-17.

Karen/SoCal Lady and her DH decided to take their boat over to Catalina Island on Monday/Tuesday, February 18/19th 2008 to see if they could find the Eagles from the TR Nest .....

SoCal Lady,Feb 19 2008
07:50 PM
TR NEST-- we saw #17 and #33 almost as soon as we got to the area yesterday afternoon, about 3:10pm.

3:30pm-
No action up in the old nest---but one of the adults came flying across the "face" of the Island cliffs, I followed with Binocs--saw s/he land past the  old nest.   Soon saw another white head along side-.  When we moved in closer with the boat, we could see they are sitting on what appears to be a  new nest.   :)^

Ravens flew over head of the nest area, eagles were vocalizing a whole lot.

When we left the area, I called IWS,-- Steffani answered the phone--Hoorayy!  I was so excited--any way, I relayed her the information and DH and I tried to give her idea of the new location. 
We went back to the area this morning, about 9:00AM and eagle was there, again did some short eagle calls. 

We will have to wait and see if Steff and Peter have more info on this turn of events ---they are about to get really busy with all the nests and eggs and all that entails--as everyone here is well aware.

Pretty exciting 24 hours for DH and I, to say the least.

SoCal Lady,Feb 21 2008
08:29 PM
TWIN ROCK NEST---   B-)) sent us an E-Mail to confirm  the observations DH and I made at Twin Rock area as a new nest. We sent him our photos and description of the area. 
Peter said he went there today and saw #17 and #33 working on the new nest.

B-))  said that it is not likely the camera will be changed to the new site, with nesting imminent and he has to put some thought into how to reach the nest for banding. 
It is a treacherous narrow ridge they have moved to and the nest is on the side of the ridge.

That is one of the first things DH and I said to each other too, while there.   How on earth are they going to safely reach this new nest?!!

Anyway, thought you all would like to know it is now confirmed by Peter --what we saw is the real deal  and I am so happy that #17 and #33 are  working on their new family for this year,  too bad they moved out of camera, most important they are well!

K-17 & K-33 decided to move to a new nest

^"^ Wednesday, February 27, 2008 ^"^
Posted Image........................... Posted Image
SoCal Lady's picture taken from water....... New Twin Rocks Nest

(Pictures courtesy of Steff/eaglegal and Karen/SoCal Lady)
(Click on thumbnails to see full-size)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MARCH UPDATES

^"^ Wednesday, March 5, 2008 ^"^

Steff: "The pair at the Twin Rocks (TR) nest has been incubating as well but there’s no way for us to tell how many eggs they have.
Pete went there today to check out the new nest area.
The new nest is out of view of the old nest but parts of it are visible from other areas, unfortunately not the part where the ‘egg bowl’ would be. In a week or so we’ll explore the area a little more to see if there’s a possibility of moving the camera over there".

^"^ Wednesday, March 26, 2008 ^"^

Steff: "Today we explored the drainages in the Twin Rocks (TR) nest area looking for a view of the nest and a way to access it for when we have to band the chicks.
Unfortunately, after hiking up and down the ridges we realized that the location of the nest is even more remote and inaccessible than we thought. It looks like we may have to wait until the chicks fledge, trap them and than band them because there’s really no safe way down to the nest.
This year they did very well building a fully unreachable nest.

Pete went back to the old nest to see how much of the new nest is visible from that point.
Here’s Pete, lying on the old nest, all camouflaged to observe the new nest closely without being detected by the eagles".

Posted Image

Steff: "A few weeks ago we weren’t able to see the center of the nest but they do tend to move their “egg bowl”. We couldn’t get a really good look into bowl but it might be good enough to see the bowl or at least see the chicks once they hatch.
Since we had removed the cable from the previous camera we had to ran an even longer cable along the hillside and placed the camera right on the old nest.
Here’s a video of today’s adventure at TR.

Posted Image

Steff: "I particularly like this view.
Even though the wind is going to make the camera shake a bit more than at other locations, we’ll be able to see the adults flying in and out and maybe even some fishing down below".

(Pictures & Video courtesy of Dr. Sharpe & Steffani )

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
APRIL UPDATES

^"^ Wednesday, April 2, 2008 ^"^

<::: Video by Eagle Guy: Twin Rocks April 1st

Steff: "We still don’t have a view of the bowl to know how many eggs they have, but we can watch their behavior.
The adults have been incubating normally and we hope to see some chicks this week."

^"^ Wednesday, April 9, 2008^"^

Steff: "In the wild: Pinnacle Rock (PR) nest has two naturally-hatched chicks, Seal Rocks (SR) one and Twin Rocks one (at least).
Both SR and TR chicks hatched on Saturday"

"Video of the TR nest on Monday morning where you can see at least one chick moving around.
They could have still had another egg at that point but we couldn’t tell for sure due to the our limited nest-view."

<::: Video by eaglegal: Twin Rocks April 7th

^"^ Wednesday, April 16, 2008^"^

Steff: " We don’t know the status of the Twin Rocks (TR) chick because last week our TR camera was blown out of place and the partial view that we had on the nest is now gone, but we assume there’s still one chick out there."

^"^ Wednesday, April 23, 2008 ^"^

Steff: "We’re hoping Twin Rocks (TR) nest still has at least one chick since we haven’t been out there this week."

^"^ Wednesday, April 30,2008 ^"^

Steff: "Last week I checked the Twin Rocks (TR) nest from Long Point, which is kind of far away but it was the only view we had and both times I went I saw the parents either feeding or providing some shade on the nest. I obviously couldn’t see into the nest but we knew they had to have something there."
Posted Image

Posted Image...... Posted Image...... Posted Image
Pete @ old nest re-aiming the camera .. Eagles soaring & defending their nest the whole time.
They both have different feather coloration patters so you can tell who is who even if you can’t read the tag.
The male’s feathers are darker than the female’s.

<::: Video by eaglegal: Twin Rocks April 30th

Posted Image ........Posted Image
TR Nest ................................... TWO CHICKS!

.............(Captures taken from IWS videos)

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe & Steffani )
(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MAY UPDATES

^"^ Wednesday, May 7, 2008 ^"^

Twin Rocks (TR) nest – two chicks (hatched naturally)

Posted Image Posted Image
TR nest................................................................................ K-33 Male of the TR Nest

...................................................................( Photos by Ojailala)

^"^ Wednesday. May 14, 2008^"^

Steff: "The wind has blown out our Twin Rocks (TR) camera out of view, yet again, so we don’t have any video of the chicks.
We’ve been viewing them off of Long Point and I did see both chicks moving around and both parents at the nest on Saturday afternoon.
I checked them yesterday but I wasn’t able to tell if I was seeing one or two.
One of the adults was roosting not far from the nest but didn’t go to the nest the whole time I was there.
It was pretty windy and they normally refrain from flying under those conditions."

Posted Image
TR Parent

^"^ Wednesday, May 21, 2008 ^"^

Steff: "Since the loss of our TR camera we’ve been checking the nest from the next ridge over (~1mile away) and due to the heat waves and the fact that we can only see part of the nest I haven’t been able to see both chicks at the same time.
Every time I go there I see both parents taking turns and at least one chick. I can’t tell if I’m seeing one of them and then the other or the same one over and over.

Posted Image.......................... Posted Image
TR nest May 18th......................................May 21st

Steff: "Today I watched a food delivery and a feeding. All I could see was the adult shredding the fish to feed its babies but the rock was blocking the area where the chick/s would have been.
I guess we’ll just have to wait and find out how many eaglets are actually on the nest next week when we go out there for banding.
There’s always a parent close by at this nest and knowing how defensively they behave towards predators/intruders (us), I don’t think anything bad happened with the eaglets. I’m hopeful there’re still two eaglets there so I’ll be making two sets of wing markers."

^"^ Wednesday, June 4, 2008^"^

Banding Day at TR Nest - Wednesday, May 28th, 2008.

<::: Video by eaglegal: Getting to the Twin Rocks Nest

<::: Video by eaglegal: Banding the 'Twins' at Twin Rocks Nest May 28th, 2008

<::: Video by eaglegal: Putting the banded chicks back

<::: Video by eaglegal: Twin Rocks Chicks May 30th,2008

Steff: Since Pete and I knew of the lack of accessibility to this nest Jim and Giacomo were the only ones who climbed down to the nest, grabbed the chicks, put them in special eagle bags and brought them back up the hill for banding.
It took a while to secure the ropes to the hillside and they ended up needing more than one long rope, but of course, they came prepared.

Posted Image......... Posted Image........ Posted Image
Jim climbing down..... K-33 dive-bombing the climbers........ Chicks on nest
Click on the Update for more photos and details about the banding.

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe & Steffani )

(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
TWIN ROCKS TWINS!

Hatch Dates .................. Wingbling Number ........ Fledge Dates
April 5/08 & ??/08 ........... K- 88(M) & K-89(M)..............July 2/08

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Eagle Duo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
WELCOME BACK - WE HAVE TWINS!

June 3, 2008

:<<>>: Videos by cdn-cdn :<<>>:
It's Twins at Twin Rocks! *
TR Feeding and Parent Swoops off Front of Nest *

:<<>>: Videos by Cumbrian :<<>>:
Twin Rocks Nest Twins - June 3/08
Twin Rocks Nest: Twins *

For complete details and captures of the day, go to: http://z7.invisionfree.com/CHIL_EagleCAM/i...?showtopic=2668

* Photobucket video - do not edit post
Offline Profile Goto Top

cdn-cdn
Member Avatar
Advanced Member

June 3, 2008

Twin Rocks nest, looks like twins! Congratulations to Mom and Dad, K17 and K33! <3 ^"^ ^"^ :<<>>: :<<>>: <3
One eaglet is doing wingercises. 11:37 am

Posted Image

One parent swoops in from above and from the back, bringing in food.
The parent who was at the nest takes the food and moves over to the left to feed the chicks. 7:54 pm

Posted Image

The parent who brought the food perches on the front rocks for a moment and then swoops down the face of the cliff.

Offline Profile Goto Top

harpo516
Member Avatar
Advanced Member

June 3, 2008

I can hide just like Gulliver - you don't see 2 eaglets do ya! :lol:

and wingercising

Good night
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member

June 3, 2008

The camera came back up today .. and we finally see that there are 2 eaglets on the nest.

................................................Some wingercizing going on here too.

Adult on duty.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Eagle Duo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
TWO MALES! K-88 & K-89

June 4, 2008

:<<>>: Videos by Cumbrian :<<>>:
Wingercizes at Twin Rocks Eagle’s Nest
Family 4 at TR Nest *

For complete details and captures of the day, go to: http://z7.invisionfree.com/CHIL_EagleCAM/i...?showtopic=2679

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
TWO MALES! K-88 & K-89

June 4, 2008

...............................................Wingercizes going on at this nest too

...........................................One adult watching for the other one.

........................................................Who arrives on cue!

............................................................................................Then leaves as quick!
Offline Profile Goto Top

Eagle Duo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
WILD THINGS! - YOU MAKE OUR HEARTS SING!

June 5, 2008

Sorry, No Videos Today

For complete details and captures of the day, go to: http://z7.invisionfree.com/CHIL_EagleCAM/i...?showtopic=2687
Offline Profile Goto Top

Eagle Duo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
ANOTHER DAY CLOSER TO FLEDGING!

June 6, 2008

:<<>>: Video by Cumbrian :<<>>:
Twin Rocks Eagle’s Nest: June 6/08 *

:<<>>: Video by r.e.s. :<<>>:
Twin Rocks Afternoon

For complete details and captures of the day, go to: http://z7.invisionfree.com/CHIL_EagleCAM/i...?showtopic=2694

Offline Profile Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Class of 2008 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic