Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Nest Watch - Friday, December 7, 2007; Winding Down The Week - Oh Eagles....
Topic Started: Dec 7 2007, 04:25 AM (2,856 Views)
harpo516
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Good morning - very quiet day at the nests yesterday - certainly no eagle visits (that we saw)

Hope for a different schedule today - 1 eagle, 2 eagles = anything would be OK with us :rolleyes:
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

harpo516
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
December 7, 2007

Continuning: Using Talons Instead of Beaks......

Beaks:
1. Carrying things in the eagles' mouth would make their heads less streamlined, so flight would be more difficult.
2. Carrying things in their mouths puts too much weight in front of their wings, so flight would be much more difficult. It's easier for them to carry things between their wings in the area that scientists call their "center of gravity."
3. Prey animals might not move for a bit after attack, but they might still be alive. If a prey animal suddenly revived and attacked, it would be held far away from the eagle's face in the talons. (Even a tiny mouse could bite an eagle's eye if it were held in its beak.)

Eagle feet have claws, but so do the feet on dogs, cats, squirrels, etc. What makes eagle feet different? First, the claws must be extremely strong and sharp. When an eagle catches a fish, those claws have to slice into a stiff, strong fish with thick scales protecting its body. All birds of prey use their feet for killing, from the tiniest Elf Owl and American Kestrel to the largest eagles.

But sharp claws are NOT the reason eagle feet are called talons; after all, cats have sharp claws, too, but they don't have talons. What makes talons different? They are designed to carry things. An eagle foot is made up of four muscular toes, powerful enough to hang onto a fairly large fish as the eagle carries it through the air.

Eagles, hawks, and owls have very sharp beaks as well as talons. Many of them use their talons to grab prey animals. Next they use the sharp points of their beaks to bite the animal at the base of the skull or in the neck to kill it. Eagles don't bother with that when they're carrying a fish, but ones that learn to hunt rabbits or ducks may do so. Although an eagle's beak is strong, powerful, and huge, it never carries sticks or fish in its beak.

http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/eagle/Talons.html
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/eagle/TalonsVsBeak.html

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Posted Image

(Physical Charateristics - Talons - Beaks)

harpo516
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Posted Image

Posted Image

PH sound just came on......with some accompanying graphics! LOL

cdn-cdn
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
I'm fairly certain that I heard an eagle calling in the distance at PH about five minutes ago. I was posting over in chat so couldn't post here at the exact time.

harpo516
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Posted Image

This is PH cam shot this morning

but look at the shot from this past Monday - hmmm the cam has shifted?

Posted Image

Patti
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Cheryl, I thought I heard an eagle calling too! It's gloomy & overcast here, with some rain last night, but not a downpour. Got up early because was hoping the island rain would stimulate a nest visit. My own birds are stimulated by rain, so thought maybe mom and dad would visit the PH nest this a.m. to check out their own turf.

Meant to add that I taped the eagle calling but SnagIt now asks to name the video right off, so don't know exactly where it is. Will find out soon enough, I guess. This is different from before I upgraded.

cdn-cdn
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Yippee, Patti! I'd like to hear that call again.

Deb, good observation on the camera shift.

I'm just having lots of frustration with Snagit. Their instructions just don't seem to help me much.

Eagle Duo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
I was noticing that the nest seemed to be quite far to the right too, but hadn't gone back and looked at anything. Maybe that little left arrow indicates the camera is moving left?

Patti
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
A couple of days ago or so, the nest looked shifted to me?

I thought I heard, possibly, an eagle in the distance again, at 7:27 on my pc time. Maybe not? Hard to tell.

Eagle Duo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
I thought I heard something very very faint about that time also, but not awake enough for it to really register. Now if one actually came to the nest, I think that would register! :lol:

Eagle Duo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
both eagles on PH. Frapps turned off on me, so I missed both fly in's

Eagle Duo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
K26 up to the middle branch. K10 working on the nest.

Eagle Duo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Back down. Seemed to be a little freezing on her decent to the nestbowl

harpo516
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
was that a kiss or a peck LOL

harpo516