Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Seal Rocks Eagle's Nest 2008; Banding Day to Fledging!
Topic Started: May 27 2008, 01:12 AM (8,319 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
As You know All Eagles All The Time 2007/2008 is an Archival/History in Videos and Still captures showing the various stages throughout the year in the lives of the Eagles on the Seal Rocks Nest. on Catalina Island

We have followed them through the Nestorations and then onto the Eggs/Incubation stage. Next was the exciting stage of the Hatching of their Chick and following his/her Early Development in Here a Chick! There a Chick! .... Now we have reached Banding Day .... where the eaglet will get his ‘wing blings’ .... and start on the journey to become a fledgling.

In this topic we will also cover Branching ... although I doubt we will see too much of that due to the placement of the camera ... and the final stage of Fledging. This will be both a joyous and sad time for us all .... we will be sorry to see him leave the nest .... but we will wish K-62 God Speed and Safe Journeys when that time finally happens.

As you know all these Videos and Stills have been selected .. as their favourites .. by the members who have captured them on Nest Watch. You can see more videos and still pictures by visiting the Daily Observations thread. Also known as Nest Watch.

Again we ask that you not post comments in this thread Viewing Only Please. This will enable faster viewing by Dr. Peter Sharpe and the IWS Team ... for record purposes ... and also for Members and visitors to the forum.

We do however welcome comments, about any of the eagles, or the different stages, in the Daily Nest Watch or Chat threads. Thank You.

Capturers are asked to wait until Cumbrian or EDblue (Eagle Duo) posts the first thread of each day before oosting or reserving a space for your videos and/or captures of the day to keep continuity to the archives.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
GULLIVER (K-62)

Hatch Date ............. Wingbling Number ........ Fledge Date
April 5/08 ...................... K- 62 (M)..............June 26th or 27th/08

Unofficial Name: Gulliver
Posted Image

^"^ Catalina Update: Thursday, May 29, 2008^"^
Banding Day at SR Nest: Tuesday, May 27th, 2008
Offline Profile Goto Top

Eagle Duo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
TODAY I GOT MY WINGBLINGS!

May 27, 2008

:<<>>: Videos by Cumbrian :<<>>:
Part 1: SR Nest Banding - Removing the Eaglet/ Gulliver
Part 2: SR Banding - Return of Gulliver and Tech Work on the Camera

:<<>>: Video by Trish :<<>>:
Mom Feeding Her Poor Baby *

For complete details and captures of the day, go to: http://z7.invisionfree.com/CHIL_EagleCAM/i...?showtopic=2615

* Photobucket video - do not edit post
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member

May 27, 2008

Posted Image Posted Image
Removing Gulliver to start banding........................ Shadow of parent flying across the nest
:}^ whoever you are................................................ Black shadows are the adults flying across the nest

......................................................Mom has returned and is standing guard over Gulliver.

............................................................................ Meet K-62
Offline Profile Goto Top

harpo516
Member Avatar
Advanced Member

May 27, 2008

Gulliver Banding Visit

Gulliver hanging out at the SR nest a little before the IWS crew arrives - mom and dad begin flying back and forth, calling and the "intruders" who are undaunted and continue moving forward on their quest - to insure that Gulliver is healthy and he gets his bling!

Peter climbs into the nest to retrieve Gulliver who of course is way in the back (where he likes to spend good parts of each day!). Finally success and Gulliver is safely tucked in so that he can be removed to the waiting crew to do his medical check up, etc.

Home and hiding! but evenutally we get to see the new bling!
Offline Profile Goto Top

cdn-cdn
Member Avatar
Advanced Member

May 27, 2008

Gulliver gradually comes out of hiding after he is placed back in the nest. He is not a happy eaglet. He is making an unusual soft quacking sound.1:25 pm

Mom arrives and keeps looking up in the tree to be certain the evil humans have left. :D "Man, they do this every year!"

Gulliver is starting to perk up a bit. He has a poop shot and does a few stretches. Mom remains nearby to comfort him. <3 4:40 pm

Posted Image

Gulliver shows off his new wing bling. Welcome, K62! You're a big boy now! 6:44 pm

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Eagle Duo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
GETTING USED TO THE WINGBLING!

May 28, 2008

:<<>>: Video by r.e.s. :<<>>:
Gulliver's Wingercizin' & Vocalizin'

For complete details and captures of the day, go to: http://z7.invisionfree.com/CHIL_EagleCAM/i...?showtopic=2624
Offline Profile Goto Top

cdn-cdn
Member Avatar
Advanced Member

May 28, 2008

a sneeze from Gulliver to start the day 6:09 am

Posted Image

Just got a view of Gulliver's right leg this morning.
I saw the silver band sparkle a bit when the leg moved. Hmmmm! :D 6:31 am

Posted Image

Still a baby in many ways - peeping, chittering, and being beak fed; not sure which parent, likely Mom.
The sound is super for hearing the various vocalizations by Gulliver. 7:09 am

Posted Image

I wondered what all the racket was about! :o Both parents were at SR, and Gulliver didn't know which one to beg from!
One parent has now flown off. Gulliver is still chittering away. 7:24 am
:<<>>: ^"^ :<<>>:

Offline Profile Goto Top

scraps
Advanced Member

May 28, 2008

Early evening wing stretches and shake-out...

Offline Profile Goto Top

Eagle Duo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
GULLIVER IS THOUGHT TO BE A MALE!

May 29, 2008

:<<>>: Video by Naturegal :<<>>:
One Hungry Noisy Eaglet *

For complete details and captures of the day, go to: http://z7.invisionfree.com/CHIL_EagleCAM/i...?showtopic=2633

* Photobucket video - do not edit post
Offline Profile Goto Top

cdn-cdn
Member Avatar
Advanced Member

May 29, 2008

4:50 pm Another view of Gulliver's right leg and some wingercises. I think he's trying to prove something to us with the way he seems to always have that right leg showing! So cute. :D

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member

May 29, 2008

For some time this afternoon Mom was mantling the fish that Dad brought to the nest and would not allow him to share.
She was vocalizing very loudly and Gulliver was just standing at the front - watching and preening.
Eventually Dad decided enough already

K-25 takes charge and K-34 leaves.

Dad enjoys the fish.......................................................... K-62 aka Gulliver watches

Posted Image
Dad does eventually share with Gulliver.
Offline Profile Goto Top

scraps
Advanced Member

May 29, 2008

10:05am K-34 delivers a small fish for Gulliver, who is busy "squeeeeing" about it the whole time

12:30pm This is a quiet few seconds where Gulliver wasn't flapping - just savoring the breeze underwing...

3:05pm...part of an extended argument between K-34 and K-25 over ownership of a fish...K-62/Gulliver watches from the sidelines...

K-25 makes his move on the fish in dispute.................K-34 aggressively mantles him
Offline Profile Goto Top

Eagle Duo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
><'> CATCH OF THE DAY! >>:

May 30, 2008

:<<>>: Video by Cumbrian :<<>>:
Supper Time and the Sounds at SR Nest

:<<>>: Video by Lori :<<>>:
Seal Rocks - Catalina Island CA - 5/30/08

For complete details and captures of the day, go to: http://z7.invisionfree.com/CHIL_EagleCAM/i...?showtopic=2642
Offline Profile Goto Top

cdn-cdn
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
><'> CATCH OF THE DAY! >>:

May 30, 2008

5:30 pm My interpretation of what happened here is that K25 brought this fish in - hard to tell, though. Gulliver mantled the fish and did a lot of whimpering. Dad cleared out fast! Mom showed up, looking at the fish, Gulliver still peeping. I think he wants help with being fed. I remember Lil at the Saanich nest in 2006 doing the same sort of hissy-fit when the parents brought food but would not feed him. An eaglet has to grow up sometime! Mom is presently still standing around, not feeding Gulliver.

Later, both parents were at the nest. Dad brought in a fish but cleared out fast! 7:41 pm

Offline Profile Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Class of 2008 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic