Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Pelican Harbor Eagle's Nest 2008/Hacking Tower.; Banding Day to Fledging!
Topic Started: Jun 11 2008, 08:26 PM (4,443 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
As You know All Eagles All The Time 2007/2008 is an Archival/History in Videos and Still captures showing the various stages throughout the year in the lives of the Eagles on the Pelican Harbor Nest. on Santa Cruz Island

We followed them through the Nestorations and then onto the Eggs/Incubation stage. Next was the exciting stage of the Hatching of their Chicks and following their Early Development in Here a Chick! There a Chick! .... THEN ... the horrendous attack on May 19, 2008 changed life on the nest for this Eagle family!

Both eaglets survived the attack but were injured and had to be flown to Dr Weldy’s Serrano Animal and Bird Hospital to be ‘repaired’.

Spirit was transported to Ventura on Sunday, June 8th and met a new friend Survivor from Northern California ... and together they travelled by IP boat to Santa Cruz Island. Spirit has returned home ... and Survivor has a new home on the Island.

Both eaglets are not ready to fledge yet so their new home for the next few weeks is a Hacking Tower. Before they were both placed inside it they were Banded and got new wing blings as well as GPS units so they can be tracked by the IWS. Now they start their journey to become fledglings.

Skye remains at the hospital for a few more weeks until his wing is fully healed, then he too will make the journey back to his Island home and into the hacking tower.

Although there is a cam in the tower it is for the IWS Team only .. they will make videos and update us as to Spirit and Survivors’ progress.

When the time comes for all 3 to fledge it will be both a joyous and sad time for us all .... we will be sorry to them leave.... but we will wish A-64/Spirit - A-65/Skye when he is also banded and ready to fledge and A-66/Survivor God Speed and Safe Journeys.

N.B. K-26 returned to the nest on the day of the attack .. but has not returned since then. K-10 has returned a couple of times but both parents probably think that the eaglets have fledged and have therefore continued on with their normal lives of hunting and fishing just for themselves.

Updates will be regulary posted on this thread.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
SPIRIT (A-64) - SKYE (A-65) - SURVIVOR (A-66)

..... Hatch Dates ......................... Wingbling Numbers ........................................ Fledge Dates
April 1/ April 3/08 & ??? ......... A-64 (M) - A-65 (M) - A-66 (M)........ *A-66/June 30/08 - A-64/July 1/08 - A-65/July 17/08

.............................................................................................. *Found deceased on July 5/08

Unofficial Names: Spirit (PH Nest) ............. Survivor (Northern Cal)
Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image
............................................ Skye (PH Nest)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
BON VOYAGE & BANDING SPIRIT/A-64 & SURVIVOR/A-66

June 8, 2008

This morning dawned overcast and a little crisp....the ocean was so calm it looked like you could carry the chicks to the island.

Spirit slept in his crate with his head tucked under his wing like a duck sleeps. Survivor took his 15 minutes of fame in his crate, giving nice profile views to the many photographers.
...................................................(Posted by Birdegg)

....................................Posted Image....................................................................................Nice group to see them off.

.............................................Posted Image.................................Posted Image
..........................................................Survivor ........................................................... Spirit
................................................................................(Photos by Larma 16)

................ Posted Image ..... Posted Image..... Posted Image
...............................................................On their way to Freedom

.........................................(Photos by birdnfeather - iggle - Topa Topa Hikers)

JoJo's Album - Trip to SC and Banding

Posted Image..... Posted Image..... Posted Image.....Posted Image

Jillers' Trip to SC & Banding A-64 and A-66 - Set 1
Jillers' Trip to SC & Banding A-64 and A-66 - Set 2
Jillers' Trip to SC & Banding A-64 and A-66 - Set 3
Jillers' Trip to SC & Banding A-64 and A-66 - Set 4

(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

To see all of the photographs and comments posted on this day go to:
Cruzers In Ventura for Departure of Eaglets to SC, Banding of Eaglets/Hacking Tower
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
NEW HOME: HACKING TOWER!

June 8, 2008

Posted Image...... Posted Image
Spirit - A-64............................ Survivor - A-66

Photographs courtesy of Jillers/Jill and Stephanie/IWS
(Click on thumbnail to see full-size)

Eagle Guy,Jun 10 2008
10:03 PM
Everything went well with the transport and banding of the two birds. They were placed in the same 8x8 foot cage and seem to be getting along fine. Both are eating and we have a color camera in the tower from which we can record regular video. Unfortunately, the internet connection on the island is very slow at the Navy Site where we stay, so video uploads to Photobucket are going to have to be made from either the PH tent site (40 min of driving and 2 hours of hiking round trip) or the mainland/Catalina. Therefore, video updates may be posted a week or so after they are recorded.

Here is a photo of the two birds in their new home for the next few weeks.
[/color]

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATE ON SPIRIT AND SURVIVOR!

June 19, 2008

IWS Crew,Jun 19 2008
02:15 PM
Hi everyone-

I know that you all must be curious to see how A-64 and A-66 are doing in the hacktower.  I saw that several of you were asking questions about A-66 branching.  She has been perching a lot on both the tree stump perch, as well as the branch that we placed in the tower.  Where she has been perching is roughly 3 feet above the floor.  Both birds have been eating fish and hopping and flapping around their new home.  We will try and post more videos and photos when one of us goes to the mainland where there are faster internet connections.  But for now, enjoy these two photos of the birds.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
VIDEO OF A-64 & A-66 INTERACTING!

June 20, 2008

IWS Crew, June 20 2008
06:48PM
We wanted to share a short video clip of both A-64 and A-66 interacting in the hack tower. Enjoy the footage, and again we will try to post pictures and video as often as we can since we don't have a camera online.

<::: ^"^ A-64 and A-66 interacting in the Hacking Tower SC Island ^"^
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
FURTHER UPDATE ON SPIRIT AND SURVIVOR!

June 26, 2008

......................................................^"^ Northern Channel Islands Update - Thursday, June 26, 2008 ^"^

Stephanie - IWS Crew June 26 2008
03:05PM
It was incredibly hot on the island this past weekend, so we spent a lot of time catching fish for both A-64 and A-66.

They both enjoyed all the fresh fish we gave them this weekend in the hack tower. They are both flapping around a lot and both birds are perching on the branch and tree stump.

Other news is that the blood results came back for A-66 and we now know that it is a male, whereas we had previously thought it may have been a female.

We will plan on opening the hack tower doors sometime early next week, as in the week of June 29, and will continue to provide food for both eagles near the hack tower. And of course, we will be tracking them using radiotelemetry and the GPS units.

................................................ <::: ^"^ A-66 Flapping in the Hack Tower ^"^

.......................................................Posted Image...... Posted Image
.....................................................A-66 preening on branch.....A-66 with A-64 in background

......................................................................(Click on thumbnails to see full size)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
THE TOWER DOOR WAS OPENED LAST NIGHT!

June 30, 2008

Eagle Guy,Jun 30 2008
12:03 PM
Below are a couple of photos I took of the birds in the tower last week. The tower door was opened last night. There will be more in the Wednesday update.

Posted Image

Posted Image

(Cumbrian altered the codes to make the photos full size.)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
A-64/SPIRIT & A-66/SURVIVOR HAVE FLEDGED!

IWS CREW UPDATE: July 4, 2008

IWS Crew,Jul 4 2008
12:10 PM
Hi everyone-

I saw that some of you had been asking questions about the two chicks from the hack tower. 
On Sunday night we opened the doors to the hack tower and Monday morning A-66 had already taken off at first light. 
A-64 hung out in the tower all morning and afternoon practicing flapping on the branch.  In the early evening around 6:30PM he moved outside the door and remained perched there that evening. 
I went out to watch him on Tuesday July 1, and got a few pictures of him just before he left the tower in the afternoon.  Here is a photo of A-64 just before fledging: 

Posted Image

Both birds are staying close to the hack tower and I am tracking them using radio telemetry to see where they are hanging out.  I am still putting food out at night for them in their nest and near the hack tower. 

I will continue to track the birds and try and get visuals of them and hopefully capture some photos for the update next week. 

Steph
[/color]
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
CATHY'S RESPONSE.

July 4, 2008

jojoflys,Jul 4 2008
10:46 PM
I have been sending updates to Cathy Garner of the Fresno Wildlife Rehabilitation Service.  This is her recent response:
Quote:

I love the updates and it makes my heart swell to know that our #66 and his friend #64 may have a chance at a wonderful life there on the island.  Thanks again.  Cathy

www.fresnowildlife.org
[/color]
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
BAD NEWS ABOUT A-66 - GOOD NEWS ABOUT A-64.

July 9, 2008

.................................. ^"^ Northern Channel Islands Update - Wednesday, July 9, 2008 ^"^

Stephanie @ Jul 9 2008
12:45 PM
Hi everyone-
This past week on Santa Cruz Island has been a long and crazy one. In the evening on Sunday June 29, we opened the hack tower door. Monday June 30, A-66 flew out of the tower at first light while A-64 hung out in the hack tower all day. A-64 roosted outside of the hack tower on a perch for the night of June 30 and flew away from the tower on July 1.

Both birds have GPS units on them, and so we are able to track them using both the GPS and radio telemetry units. On Friday July 4, we received GPS points that showed where the birds were hanging out since they had left the tower. A-64 had chosen a canyon to the west of the tower for his first roost outside of his hack tower nest. However, the GPS data for A-66 showed it still hanging out next to the hack tower and not moving that much, so we thought it would be a good idea to investigate where the bird was hanging out. I went out there the next day, and found A-66 dead near the tower. We are not quite sure what the cause of death is, but we will be sending the body to a lab where scientists may be able to determine the cause of death.

Despite the bad news about A-66, I do have good news to report about A-64. He has been out and about exploring the south side of Santa Cruz Island since he fledged on Tuesday July 1. I wasn't able to capture any photos of him after he fledged, but he is moving around quite a bit. Here are some photos of where he has been hanging out according to his GPS points and our radio tracking efforts:

Canyon Below Hack Tower where A-64 has been hanging out. The hack tower is just to the left of center in the photo on the back ridge.

........................................Posted Image..............Posted Image

<::: Video by Stephanie: A-64 Flapping in Hacking Tower

<::: Video by Stephanie: A-64 Fledging from Hacking Tower

(Pictures courtesy of Stephanie) (Click on thumbnails to see full size)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the Update link

jojoflys,Jul 10 2008
05:15 PM
I have been sending updates on Survivor to Cathy Garner of Fresno Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation Service.
This is her response to the news that we lost Survivor.

Quote:

I am so saddened by the loss of #66 "Survivor."  It is even more poignant because of the hard start it had and because of some additional bad news about one of our long-time members that died a terrible death on Monday. Both their deaths will be deeply mourned.  My husband said, when I told him about #66, "It almost was like he was never meant to be."  I will never understand why such things have to happen to such innocent, beautiful creatures.  I hope he is soaring in a better place now.  We want to thank you for letting us know about him.  Our thoughts will be with #64 in the hope it becomes the real "Survivor."

fresnowildlife.org

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
A-64 PRE-FLEDGING!

IWS Crew Update: July 13, 2008

IWS Crew,Jul 13 2008
09:34 AM
Hi everyone-

I just wanted to post a couple more videos of A-64 in the hack tower before he fledged.  We were finally able to get the video working, minus the audio however, but with the slow internet connection it's hard to get things loaded quickly.  So enjoy the videos recorded from last week. 

A-64 Eating in Tower
Posted Image

A-64 in Tower

Posted Image

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
BON VOYAGE & BANDING SKYE/A-65

July 14, 2008

Posted Image

Several Cruzers .. and family members .. met at Ventura Harbor .. at Dr Sharpe's invitation .. to say "Bon Voyage" to Skye .. before he went on board the 4:30p.m. IP boat taking him back home to Santa Cruz Island!

............Posted Image................. Posted Image
................ A-49 Cruzers.......................... Lemonwood Eaglets/Teacherlady

Posted Image Posted Image

EDblue's album..... iggle's photos..... jojoflys' album..... Ojailala's photos

Summer818's photos..... Teacherlady's album

Posted Image..... Posted Image.....Posted Image.....Posted Image

..........................................................Banding A-65/Skye

LA Times Article..... Ventura County Star Article..... KEYT3 - Video: Eaglet Returns to SC Island

harpo516,Jul 15 2008
08:12 PM
Got a surprise phone call from Dr. Weldy - he said to let everyone know that Skye was doing very well in the flight cage - balanced and symmetrical  He could fly up to a 15' high perch and do about a 30' flight and he was very pleased with his progress and is expecting he will soon fledge at SC!

............................................(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
NEWS FLASH - A-64 SEEN IN PH AREA!

July 15, 2008

Eagle Guy,Jul 15 2008
04:31 PM
We are currently getting A-64's signal from the Pelican Harbor area. We will head down the hill to see if we can get a visual. He could fly up to the nest. He was also at Prisoner's Harbor when we got off the boat yesterday. Must have been greeting his brother.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
A-65 - SKYE FLEDGED THIS MORNING!

IWS CREW UPDATE: July 17, 2008

IWS Crew,Jul 17 2008
09:49 PM
Hi everyone-

I just wanted to let you know that A-65 fledged this morning from the hack tower.  He was flapping around a lot on the ground and exploring the area, hopping on bushes and trees.  He even ate some of the fish that we had put out on the ground.  He is still roosting around the tower this evening, and we will continue to monitor where he goes and also keep placing food out for him. 

A-65 perched outside hack tower
Posted Image

A-65 flapping outside hack tower just before he flew off
Posted Image

A-65 feeding in front of hack tower
Posted Image

Enjoy the photos and I will try to get more of both A-64 and A-65 this week.
Steph

From the Northern Channel Islands Update, July 23, 2008

<::: Video by Stephanie: A-65 on Fledging Day

<::: Video by Stephanie: A-65 Fledging from Hack Tower

Offline Profile Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Class of 2008 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic