Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Twin Rocks Eagle's Nest 2008/2009; Getting Serious About Nestorations
Topic Started: Sep 8 2008, 08:41 AM (1,761 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
All Eagles All The Time 2008/2009 is an Archival/History in Videos and Still captures showing the various stages throughout the year in the lives of the Eagles on the Twin Rocks Nest on Catalina Island

Posted Image.......Posted Image.....Posted Image
TR Nest seen from the water.......... Closer.......................... From above

........................................ Click on thumbnails to enlarge

Season 2007/2008 was a very successful ... and historic one ... for this nest.
Because the Pinnacle Rock and Seal Rocks Nests were successful last season in hatching their eggs .. left in the nests for the first time .. the biologists decided to leave the eggs on this nest to hatch naturally this season. Because the eagles had also moved to another nest on a treacherous narrow ridge this was also the deciding factor!
It took a while as no-one could see into the nest ... but eventually all of us were delighted to learn that 2 healthy chicks had hatched naturally on this nest too!
K-88 and his brother K-89 both successfully fledged on July 2nd 2008.

Please check out the Class of 2008 to enjoy last season’s memories of ‘Nestorations to Fledging’.

This Camera is off until January 2009. Camera returned in December/08

Hopefully when it returns we will be able to watch the adult eagles ... K-17 and K-33 ... starting the restoration of their nest ... aka Nestorations by the A-49 Cruzers ... getting ready for the eggs that could be laid in March/April

The Videos and Stills .. that will eventually be posted here on this thread .. have been selected ... as their favourites ... by the members who have captured them on Nest Watch.
You can see more videos and still pictures ... at a later date ... by visiting the Daily Observations thread. Also known as Nest Watch

We ask you NOT to post comments in this thread. VIEWING ONLY PLEASE! This will enable faster viewing by Dr. Peter Sharpe and the IWS Team ... for record purposes .... and also for Members and visitors to the forum.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
NESTORATIONS BEGINNING?

December 13, 2008

:<<>>: Video by Jeannec :<<>>:
Eagle works a stick at the Twin Rocks nest

For complete details and captures of the day, go to: http://z7.invisionfree.com/CHIL_EagleCAM/i...topic=3386&st=0
Offline Profile Goto Top

jeannec
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
NESTORATIONS BEGINNING?

December 13, 2008

Twin Rocks when one eagle was on the nest

:clk: Eagle works a stick at the Twin Rocks nest

Trying to get the stick just right, and the flyout
Posted Image Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

ChickieBaby
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
NESTORATIONS BEGINNING?

December 13, 2008

Looks like Twin Rocks nestorations are now in progress!
7:36-7:39am - First there was one, then a hidden one appeared:
Posted Image
Posted Image
7:44-7:48am - You could see much rumbling around and some flaps as an eagle worked in the nest crevice.
Posted Image
Posted Image
7:59am - Rest after work
Posted Image
8:17am
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
IMPROVED CAM VIEW!

December 21, 2008

Sorry, No Videos Today.

For complete details and captures of the day, go to: http://z7.invisionfree.com/CHIL_EagleCAM/i...topic=3405&st=0
Offline Profile Goto Top

jeannec
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
IMPROVED CAM VIEW!

December 21, 2008

(5:03 - 5:08 PM) - The Twin Rocks pair stopped in for a brief visit. One eagle hopped to the upper edge of the nest and called out several times and then flew off. The eagle that remained on the nest then watched in circles around the nest before also flying off.

(Note: The new cam view is zoomed in. These stills are cropped a little also)

Both in the nest

Looking around and checking out the tail feathers!

Eagle at the upper edge calls out, then flies off while remaining eagle watches

Second eagle flies off the front, too
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
GETTING SERIOUS ABOUT NESTORATIONS?

January 06, 2009

Sorry, No Videos Today

For complete details and captures of the day, go to: http://z7.invisionfree.com/CHIL_EagleCAM/i...topic=3456&st=0
Offline Profile Goto Top

jeannec
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
GETTING SERIOUS ABOUT NESTORATIONS?

January 06, 2009

Shortly before 7AM. The eagle was working in the nest and then was very interested in something above. Right after the last cap, it flew up and off:

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATES RE K-33 & K-17

:clk: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 :clk:

Steff: " Last Thursday I checked the Twin Rocks nest, unfortunately I could not see anything because of all the rain, and I am sure the eagles were sheltered under some branches or somewhere impossible to spot.

On Friday, I spotted the both adults in the area. They both landed near the nest and remained there until I left.

Today, I went to the TR look out at Long Point and watched the TR birds work on their nest and hang out together. The lighting was great so I took a few pictures."

Posted Image....... Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image
K-33 & K-17............................ TR Nest................................. Working on nest...................... Roosting near nest

:clk: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 :clk:

Steff: " I checked twin Rocks yesterday and found one of the adults on the nest.
It was sunny for a little while, I watched it for a few minutes until the other one showed up. Lately, there always seems to be one of the adults present on the nest. Since our view is limited from this observation point, we cannot be sure that they have laid an egg or not. I will be checking on them again tomorrow."

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image
One on Nest.............................. Closer/Sunny ....................Both Adults on the Nest

:clk: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 :clk:

Eagle Guy: We have not been able to go to the mainland to fix the Twin Rocks (TR) camera so we have been checking the nest from our only observation spot at Long Point. Yesterday, the female was in incubating posture, so it appears they have their first egg. I don't think we will be able to see the egg(s) from the camera vantage point, but I'll check that out when I can.

...............................................Posted Image
............................................................. TR Nest

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)
(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates
Offline Profile Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Class of 2009 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic