Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Rattlesnake Canyon Eagle's Nest 2008/2009; Nest Failed. IWS keep check on adults
Topic Started: Jan 30 2009, 11:37 PM (1,726 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
All Eagles All The Time 2008/2009 is an Archival/History in Videos and Still captures showing the various stages throughout the year in the lives of the Eagles on the Rattlesnake Canyon Nest on Catalina Island

Posted Image........ Posted Image........ Posted Image
This is the RS nest........................... Nest Tree.................View of area & Gallagher’s campground

............................................. Click on thumbnails to enlarge.

Season 2007/08 was the very first nesting season for the adult eagles .. K-80/M (Class of 1998) and K-47/F (Class of 2004) ... and it was exciting news for the IWS because there was now a sixth active nest on Catalina and this was the only one sitting on a tree.

2 eggs were laid on this nest but they failed to hatch. Hopefully the pair will have better luck this season

We were kept updated about this nest through the Catalina Updates ... and it was included in the 2008 Another Historic Year? and Conclusion: Season 2007/2008 Threads in the Class of 2008

This nesting season however .. due to a lot of hard work by Dr. Sharpe and Steffani .. we will be able to monitor the events happening at this nest when the new camera, that they are currently installing, comes on-line.

The work on the camera started during the week of November 26/08 and recommenced on December 9/08 at the Rattlesnake transmission site to hook up some solar panels and check the connections, in order to install the camera, and a transmission tower has recently been built.

K-47 was a first time breeder last season ... but she beat every female and laid her first egg ever on February 22/08. It will be exciting to watch to see if she will do it again this year.

The Videos and Stills ... that will eventually be posted here on this thread ... have been selected .. as their favourites ... by the members who have captured them on Nest Watch.
You can see more videos and still pictures .. at a later date ... by visiting the Daily Observations thread. Also known as Nest Watch.

We ask you NOT to post comments in this thread. VIEWING ONLY PLEASE! This will enable faster viewing by Dr. Peter Sharpe and the IWS Team ... for record purposes .... and also for Members and visitors to the forum.

** UPDATE ~ ADULTS MOVED TO A NEW NEST ~ No Camera. Thread is now classed as a 'Closed' one

Information about what is happening on this nest will be posted from the Catalina Updates throughout the season.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
PROGRESS UPDATES & PHOTOS.

:clk: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 :clk:
Posted Image.................................... Posted Image
Dr.Sharpe working with the cables........... and at the transmission site

.............................. (Click on thumbnails to enlarge)

:clk: Wednesday, January 7, 2009 :clk:

:clk: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 :clk:

:clk: Wednesday, January 28, 2009:clk:

The transmission tower is built and the video/audio/power cable has been re-routed.
We still need to hike down a few batteries, solar panels and transmitters.

<:::: :<<>>:
Rattlesnake Canyon adults and an unidentified sub-adult :<<>>:
No idea who the sub-adult is ... the good news is that K-80 and K-47 are still paired up and defending their nest area, which is always a good sign.

:clk: Wednesday, February 5, 2009 :clk:

RS: they have been spotted along the coast by kayakers but we have not seen them on their nest ourselves.
We are going there today to work on the tower, hike down more batteries and solar panels.

(Pictures/video courtesy of Steff/eaglegal)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MARCH UPDATES RE K-80 & K-47

:clk: Wednesday, March 4, 2009 :clk:

Dr. Sharpe/Pete: I've been trying to figure out if the Rattlesnake pair is going to breed this season. I've checked last year's nest daily and saw the female (K-47) perched near the nest on 2/26 and 3/1.

I spent most of yesterday just sitting on a ridge where I could see most of the coastal portion of their territory. I caught sight of K-80 perched near Toyon Canyon in late morning and watched him fly and catch a fish before he disappeared behind a shrub to eat.

K-47 appeared below me about a half hour later and I watched her soar and then perch, preen, and poop for 2 hours. She eventually took off again and it looked like she might have brought a stick to a eucalyptus grove. However, K-80 later soared past my location and then went over to perch near last year's nest.

They may have a disagreement about where to nest this year. I'm hoping they don't choose last year's nest because the raven numbers are extraordinarily high in that canyon and they are always bothering the eagles when they are present.

Posted Image
K-80 Soaring

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)
(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
CONGRATULATIONS K-80 & K-47 ~ NEW NEST & EGG/S

:clk: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 :clk:

Steff:This week both Pete and I have spend several hours a day searching for the Rattlesnake (RS) pair trying to figure out whether or not they would breed this year and where.
I have seen the male a few times just perching along the coast of his territory and Pete spotted them together on the 5th, after that we have seen just one at the time.

.....Posted Image..............Posted Image
K-80 - North of Toyon Canyon.............. Flying over Avalon

On Monday, Dave Work, from the Catalina Island Marine Institute (CIMI) in Toyon Canyon, notified Pete that the eagles had built a nest in their canyon.
Pete went to check it out and he found K47, the female of the RS pair already incubating. Last they were seen together was on the 7th so they must have laid egg/eggs between then and the 10th, which is when Pete saw her incubating already.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image
K-47 incubating..................Pete observing their nest..................K-47 today

Video by Steff: K-47 on her nest

I checked the RS nest this morning and watched K47 incubate for over two hours.
I was hoping to see the male around and maybe a switch but he never came. One of the reasons this nest was not successful last year was probably because the male did not contribute as much with the incubation duties as he should have and there are too many ravens in the area to leave the eggs unattended for any period of time.
We are hoping this year things are different and they successfully hatch and fledge chicks.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
BAD NEWS ~ NEST HAS FAILED!

:clk: Thursday, March 19, 2009 :clk:

Steff: I have some bad news .. the Rattlesnake pair has seemed to fail this year again.
I checked on them on Sunday and found the female incubating, but I checked on them again on Tuesday and I found an empty nest.

We do not know what happen to them. I have not seen them around but I have not really searched for them either yet.
If they try to breed this year again, it would probably be about a month from now.

We will monitor their behavior around that time and hope that if they try again they succeed.

............................................ Posted Image
........................................................ Nest MT.

:clk: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 :clk:

The Rattlesnake pair has been spotted a few times this week hanging out by the coast along their territory. We sure hope they try and breed again this year.

(Picture courtesy of Steffani .. click on thumbnail to see full size)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
APRIL UPDATES

:clk: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 :clk:

Steff: On Saturday, my father and I went kayaking along the Rattlesnake territory not too far away from town. We didn’t have to kayak too long before I spotted one of the eagles.

Posted Image.......Posted Image

Right when we were about to leave, the other adult showed up and they both started fishing right next to where we were paddling. Pretty soon, gulls, pelicans and sea lions came to feast on the school of fish that was swimming by very close to us. It was amazing to watch all these animals, especially the eagles, in action.

I made a short video, I apologize for the unsteadiness of the film but it’s hard to film on a floating kayak, try not to get dizzy.

Video by Steff: RS Fishing

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
CONTINUED UPDATES!

:clk: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 :clk:

Steff: We are going to be checking on the Rattlesnake pair soon, if they try to breed again this year (and we hope they do) it would be right around this time. We will keep you posted.

:clk: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 :clk:

Steff: On Friday, I looked for the Rattlesnake birds but had no luck.

After coming home, Pete mentioned he saw at least one of them flying over Avalon Harbor so no wonder I couldn’t find them at their territory. There’s still a slight chance that they’d breed again so I’ll check their old nest, the new nests and go looking for them some time this week.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
JUNE UPDATE!

:clk: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 :clk:

Steff: Both, the Reservoir pair and the Rattlesnake pair are still together.

The latter pair sure gives island visitors, especially kayakers a time of their lives. I have been told many times by my friends, who give kayaking tours along the coast, that K80 and K47 show up and swoop down to catch a fish, almost every time, on cue after they are done telling the tourists the eagle story.

It is so wonderful to know that this is a special place in Southern California where people can be so harmlessly close to these magnificent animals and knowing that we are part of the eagles’ success story.

Offline Profile Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Class of 2009 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic