Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Middle Ranch Eagle's Nest 2008/2009; Still together ~ Not Breeding yet!
Topic Started: Jan 31 2009, 11:35 PM (1,029 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
All Eagles All The Time 2008/2009 is an Archival/History in Videos and Still captures showing the various stages throughout the year in the lives of the Eagles on the Middle Ranch Nest on Catalina Island

Posted Image .......... Posted Image
This is the MR nest. ................ The nest is where the Pine trees are.

.....................Click on thumbnails to enlarge.

The adult eagles A-32/F (Class of 2004) ... aka Lady in Blue ... because she is a banded SC eagle living on Catalina Island with K-93/M (Class of 1999) ... are still a non-breeding pair.

In November/07 Dr Sharpe and Steffani went to the reservoir and built an artificial eaglesí nest on a Pine tree for them, to encourage them to breed, because they have a good chance of hatching healthy chicks (they feed mostly on clean fish from the reservoir).

They were monitored during the Spring of 2008 but no nesting behaviour was observed. So this was not the year for them to become parents.
However their bond has remained strong, so we all have high hopes for this coming season.

We were kept updated about this nest through the Catalina Updates ... and it was included in the 2008 Another Historic Year? and Conclusion: Season 2007/2008 Threads in the Class of 2008

This nesting season however .. like the RS nest ... and again due to a lot of hard work by Dr. Sharpe and Steffani .. we will be able to monitor the events happening at this nest when the new camera, that they are currently installing, comes on-line.

The work on the camera started during the week of November 26/08 when they ran the cable from the nest tree to a parking area, which happens to be close to the Osprey Hacking Tower. The cable may be run up to the tower so that it can be turned into an observation spot. But they will have to see how the eagles respond to that idea.

We hope that this will be the season that the Lady in Blue, and her handsome Catalina beau, show definite signs of nesting behaviour getting ready for the eggs that could be laid in February/March.

The Videos and Stills ... that will eventually be posted here on this thread ... have been selected .. as their favourites ... by the members who have captured them on Nest Watch.
You can see more videos and still pictures .. at a later date ... by visiting the Daily Observations thread. Also known as Nest Watch.

We ask you NOT to post comments in this thread. VIEWING ONLY PLEASE! This will enable faster viewing by Dr. Peter Sharpe and the IWS Team ... for record purposes .... and also for Members and visitors to the forum.

Capturers are asked to wait until Cumbrian or EDblue (Eagle Duo) posts the first thread of each day before reserving a space for your captures of the day to keep continuity to the archives.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
PROGRESS UPDATES & PHOTOS.

:clk: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 :clk:

........Posted Image
Steff: The MR pair has been seen perched together pretty much all week including today; in fact, while we were working at the bottom of the MR nest tree, I found some eucalyptus braches on the ground in the middle of the pine grove; when Pete climbed to the nest he noticed several other eucalyptus branches on the nest, so evidently someone has been adding nesting material to the nest, letís hope they keep it up and breed this year.

<:::: :<<>>: Middle Ranch Pair :<<>>:

:clk: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 :clk:

Steff: Camera replaced and the power/video cables run up the nest tree. The view is not as wide as before and we canít see the lake anymore but we have a nice view of the nest and that is what is important.
Before Pete climbed down from the tree, he placed a couple of small sticks across the center of the nest so we would know if they add anything else to the nest next time we go out there.
Hopefully this camera wonít flood like the previous one. We will order a new good-quality microphone and place it by the hacking tower in the next few weeks.

:clk: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 :clk:

A large solar panel has been placed at the top of the old hacking tower next to the pine trees where the MR nest is located.

:clk: Wednesday, February 5, 2009 :clk:

MR: They have not been seen since last Wednesday, it might just be that they take are soaring somewhere else when we go and check them.
We will check them again today and throughout the weekend.

(Pictures/video courtesy of Steff/eaglegal ~ Click on thumbnails to enlarge)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATES RE A-32 & K-93

:clk: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 :clk:

Steff: Last Friday I checked on the Middle Ranch pair. Nobody has seen them perched on the pine trees so we have been checking them pretty often.
I found K93 flying in the rain so I ran after it and watched him land on a eucalyptus right above me.
He was curious but I was hiding under a bush so was able too get this close. Too bad it was raining though

Posted Image

On Saturday, I went fishing for Pimu and also checked on the MR birds. The male, K93, flew around and eventually met up with the female, A32 and I watched them ride a thermal all the way up in the sky.
Later they came down, flew over the reservoir and went into the Bulrush canyon area. (It always amazes me how pairs are able to coordinate their movements in flight and maneuver identically).

Posted Image....... Posted Image

They have been flying on that direction lately and we wonder if maybe they are beginning to build something over there.
It will be a while before we get to explore that area since all the gated roads are closed during and after the storms. Meanwhile, we will keep checking the reservoir in case they start using the nest.

Yesterday, I took advantage of yesterday's sunny day and checked on the them, but they were not at the reservoir. Later in the afternoon, I was feeding Pimu, when she started looking up in the air so intently, I knew she had spotted an eagle. I dropped everything and ran out to get the binoculars; sure enough, it was A32. She flew towards the reservoir, met up with her mate and took off for a soar.

Posted Image
A32 and K93. It is nice to know their bond is strong. We really hope this pair breeds.

:clk: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 :clk:

Steff: We have been checking The Middle Ranch (MR) birds almost daily but unfortunately we have not yet seen any nesting activity.
Yesterday, I surveyed all around the reservoir looking for them and possible new nest locations.
This is the nest we built, but we haven't seen the birds visit this nest or perch on these trees for at least a couple of weeks.

Posted Image

I hiked the ridge between Middle and Bulrush canyon, where we have seen the birds sometimes fly to and I finally found A32 perched on an oak at the very top of the ridge. She saw me and took off so I missed my chance of a getting a close up of her.

I couple of weeks ago I mentioned I found K-93, spending some time on a eucalyptus tree on the other side of the reservoir. Pete noticed that they might have started building a nest here but we are not sure how long ago.

Posted Image .......Posted Image

Since their territory is right behind the captive eagle enclosure, we will check the reservoir every day until we find out what is going on with this pair.

:clk: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 :clk:

Dr. Sharpe/Pete: We have looked for the Middle Ranch (MR) birds on a daily basis. For a while we thought that this pair had plans to move their territory to the south side of the island, close to China Point. Last week Steffani found the male on the coast and he was joined by the female a while later.

Posted Image

She watched them vocalize and get harassed by gulls and raven for over an hour until they flew away along the coast right after sunset.
The Seal Rocks pair started to build a nest on that point many years ago before moving to the Seal Rocks area, so we thought the eagles might plan on taking over this area.
This is most likely one of the places they disappeared to when we could not find them at the reservoir.

The next day they were back at the reservoir. Steffani saw the male in the morning and later in the evening she found both of them roosting right next to their new nest.

Posted Image.......Posted Image

I've been watching them for the past 2 days and they are working hard on the new nest. It certainly looks like they will breed this year.

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)
(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MARCH UPDATES RE A-32 & K-93

:clk: Wednesday, March 4, 2009 :clk:

Dr.Sharpe/Pete: I've been checking the Middle Ranch nest daily.
The nest is getting big and both birds were there working on it this afternoon. Maybe next week we'll have news on their first eggs ever.

:clk: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 :clk:

Steff: We have checked the MR pair daily.
Pete has seen them working on their nest but no eggs have been laid yet.

Posted Image............Posted Image
The Nest Tree................. A nice looking nest

:clk: Thursday, March 19, 2009 :clk:

Steff:We have checked the MR nest every day to find out what they are up to but so far no more nesting behavior. We have found them roosting a various different places but nothing consistent enough to determine where they will nest (if they do this year).

Posted Image.......Posted Image
Roosting on an Oak....... Roosting on Eucalyptus trees

:clk: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 :clk:

Steff: We have checked the Middle Ranch pair daily and while weíve seen then visit their new nest, they have not laid any eggs yet.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.........Posted Image
A-32 on New Nest.......... K-93 by the boats at reservoir...... K-93 circled on this one

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
APRIL UPDATES RE A-32 & K-93

:clk: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 :clk:

Steff: I have been checking on the Middle Ranch pair every day, always finding the male, K93, and the female, A32, a few times.
The last time I saw them together was on Monday afternoon so they have not yet laid eggs. They have been perching on the pine trees again, where the old nest was but no more nesting behavior has been observed.

Posted Image
.......... A-32

:clk: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 :clk:

Steff: The Middle Ranch pair has been spotted at the reservoir at various places, but no more breeding behavior. We donít know if the have stopped trying but just in case we keep checking on them even though itís getting late in the season for them.

:clk: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 :clk:

Steff: As far as Middle Ranch pair goes, still no news. They are back to roosting on the pine trees where the old nest is at but still no breeding behavior.

We check them almost every day hoping to see something but no luck there either. She is still young for a first time breeder and heís a bit ďchallengedĒ (he hasnít been the best nest builder in the past) so if not this year, thereís always the next. Itís nice to see them and hear them regularly though.

(Pictures/video courtesy of Steff/eaglegal ~ Click on thumbnails to enlarge)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MAY UPDATES RE A-32 & K-93

:clk: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 :clk:

Peter: On the way to feed the captive birds I stopped by Thompson Reservoir to see what the Middle Ranch pair was up to. They were both perched on the shore feeding on a fish that A-32 had caught.

Video by Eagle Guy MR Pair

:clk: Wednesday, May 12, 2009 :clk:

Steph: So this week was a very exciting and different week for me.
As some of you may know already, Steffani went on vacation to visit her family in Ecuador. I came down from Santa Cruz Island to sit in for her on Catalina.
It was a nice change to be down here and help out checking some of the nests.

I spent some time looking for the Middle Ranch birds and trying to catch fish for Pimu. I found them pretty frequently every time I drove past the reservoir, at least A-32.

Posted Image
Here is a photo of both adults together eating a fish.

:clk: Wednesday, May 21, 2009 :clk:

Steff: We have been giving a couple of tours per week, one of the many activities we have during the tour is searching and (hopefully) finding wild eagles to give people the opportunity to watch and photograph these amazing birds.

The other day we found A32, who was perched low on the pine trees at the reservoir.

Posted Image

(Pictures/video courtesy of Dr. Sharpe/Eagle Guy, Steff/eaglegal ~ Click on thumbnails to enlarge)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
JUNE UPDATES RE A-32 & K-93

:clk: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 :clk:

Steffani: Here is a picture of K93, the Middle Ranch pair male.

Both of them were at the reservoir yesterday and were vocalizing to each other while we were there. we sure hope they decide to breed next year.

Same goes for the Rattlesnake pair.

Posted Image

Offline Profile Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Class of 2009 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic