Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Pinnacle Rock Nest - 2009 Another Historic Year?; Nestorations to Fledging
Topic Started: Feb 2 2009, 11:44 AM (2,568 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
As you know All Eagles All The Time 2008/2009 is an Archival/History in Videos and Still captures showing the various stages throughout the year in the lives of the Eagles on the Pelican Harbor (PH) Nest ... on Santa Cruz Island ... and the * Seal Rocks (SR) Nest ... * Twin Rocks (TR) Nest ... Two Harbors (TH) Nest and the West End (WE) Nest ... the 4 nests that have cameras ... on Santa Catalina Island.

Posted Image
..........Active bald eagle territories and points of reference on Santa Catalina Island, California.

Work is currently underway on the installation of 2 other cameras ... on the Rattlesnake Canyon (RS) Nest and the Middle Ranch (MR) Nest .. the latter is not yet confirmed as a breeding pair ... which are also on Catalina Island .. but their territories are not shown on the map.

You can find out who is who at each nest by visiting the Meet The Adult Pairs thread.

The only Catalina Nest that does not have a camera is the Pinnacle Rock (PR) Nest ... as the observation spot alone is about 700ft away ... so this will always be one of the nests that the IWS have to check personally ... but we still want to follow the events happening on this nest .. so this thread has been opened for that purpose.

We will be posting the links to the Catalina Updates, written by Dr. Peter Sharpe and Steffani Jijon ... along with the photos taken by Steffani ... so that members can easily access the information.

* SR .. eagles moved to a new nest .. no camera
* TR .. This camera is currently offline

Map of the Eagles Territories found on the Report: Restoration and Management of Bald Eagles on Santa Catalina Island, California, 2005. ( Catalina Wing-Bling Reference Chart)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATES RE PR ADULTS

:clk: Wednesday, January 21, 2009 :clk:

PR ... Looks like we have a change of partners at this nest!

........................Posted Image
Steff: Saw this pair land on a large rock and was able to ID them.
They were K65, the male from PR, and K56, the 2005 SR chick. We do not know what happen to K92, the PR female, but K65 has definitely switched partners this year.

:clk: Wednesday, January 28, 2009 :clk:

PR ... Steffani has visited the nest a couple of times this week and each day it looks a little different. Someone is definitely working on it but we have yet to confirm which pair is doing all this work.

We suspect it is pair K65 and K56 but since they and the SR pair have been having some “territorial disputes” we are not sure.

Posted Image...............Posted Image
PR nest last week.................................. This week.

:clk: Wednesday, February 5, 2009 :clk:

Steff: Re Pinnacle Rock and Seal Rocks, the drama and the territorial disputes continue. I have been checking both areas almost daily. I have watched both pairs spend their mornings right where the edges of their territories would meet. I have seen them all take off from the cliffs and fly straight into the ocean, fly around, maybe fish something and come back to the same relative locations.

The other morning I decided to check PR nest a little earlier than usual. After waiting a few minutes one of the adults arrived to the nest and eventually the other one. We knew somebody was working on the nest, we just did not know which pair exactly.
After a while K65 left and she stayed on the nest for the rest of the morning. It was definitely K56 (the 2005 SR chick) and K65 (the PR male). We do not know what happened to K92 (last year’s PR female)

Posted Image........Posted Image........Posted Image
...........................K-65/M & K-56/F................................................. K-56

Video by Steff: PR Nest - January 29/09

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)
(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
CONTINUED UPDATES RE K-65 & K-56

:clk: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 :clk:

Steff:Since it rained pretty much every day since Thursday, I took advantage of yesterday's sunny day and checked on the Pinnacle Rock (PR) eagles.
There was nobody at PR but it does looked like the nest has been worked on.

Posted Image.......Posted Image
....... PR Nest...................................... Closer

:clk: Wednesday, February 18, 2009 :clk:

Steff: I checked Pinnacle Rock (PR) on Saturday but the birds were not around. Today, I visited them again and found K-56 on the nest.

Posted Image

:clk: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 :clk:

Dr.Sharpe/Pete: We have visited Pinnacle Rock (PR) daily. They have been spending more time at their nest as well.
Today, the female was just standing on the nest, so I expect they will lay soon.

Posted Image........Posted Image

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MARCH UPDATES RE K-65 & K-56

:clk: Wednesday, March 4, 2009 :clk:

Dr.Sharpe/Pete: As I mentioned last week it looked like the Pinnacle Rock pair was going to lay soon.
I've been checking the nest almost every day and on Friday the male (K-65) was in incubation posture (K-56 standing on side of nest). A short time later he stood up and showed me their egg.

As of Monday they still had one egg. I went to check the nest today and watched it from 0900-0930, however the bird never stood up. At 0930 the storms rolled in and I couldn't see more then 50 feet.
I huddled in the blind until the heaviest of the rain stopped and then hiked out. I'll have Steffani check the nest tomorrow, but I bet they have two eggs.

:clk: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 :clk:

PR now has two eggs.

Posted Image

:clk: Thursday, March 19, 2009 :clk:

Steff: We have checked on Pinnacle Rock (PR) nest every other day and they are doing just fine. It is relatively easy to check on them since they seem to turn their eggs so often, we do not have to wait too long to confirm that there are still two eggs in the nest (as opposed to SR, who, literally, take hours to turn their eggs).

Posted Image............Posted Image............Posted Image
Both adults on nest...................PR Nest from far away.............Adult landing .. Other perched

Video by Steff: PR Nest: March 14th & 16th

:clk: Wednesday, March 25, 2009 :clk:

Steff: The PR nest is doing just fine, I don’t have pictures of them this week but we check them every other day and they still have their two eggs.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
APRIL UPDATES RE K-65 & K-56

:clk: Wednesday, April 1, 2009 :clk:

Steff: Some time between Friday afternoon and Sunday morning, the Pinnacle Rock (PR) nest lost one egg.
There’s no way for us to know which one broke so we are just going to wait to find out once the other egg hatches (assuming it will).

The heat waves have been making it really hard to have a good view of the nest bowl so I don’t have a picture of the lone egg but I can tell there’s only one.

Posted Image....... Posted Image

:clk: Wednesday, April 8, 2009 :clk:

Steff: The PR hatched its lone egg this week. On Sunday Pete was able to see the little chick moving in the nest bowl.

Posted Image
K-56 brooding her chick

Video by Steff:
PR Chick April 5/09

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
DEDICATED PARENTS!

:clk: Wednesday, April 15, 2009 :clk:

Steff: We check Pinnacle Rock (PR) every couple of days and their chick is doing just fine; parents are always present, not necessarily brooding all day but definitely looking after their little one.

On Saturday when I visited they had caught a large gull. Feathers and other food items were all over the nest.

Posted Image

I made a short video of a feeding I observed and some nest cleaning up on another day.

Video by Steff: PR: April 11/09

April 14th
Posted Image

:clk: Wednesday, April 22, 2009 :clk:

Steff: I am glad to report that the PR chick is doing wonderfully!

Video by Steff: PR Chick being fed - April 17/09

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
PR FAMILY

:clk: Thursday, April 30, 2009 :clk:

Steff: I am glad to report that all eight Catalina chicks are doing great, some of them are already starting to grow feathers while the younger ones still wear their ‘fluffy’ all-down-feather plumage.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Video by Steff: PR Nest: April 29/09

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MAY UPDATES

:clk: Wednesday, May 6, 2009 :clk:

Peter: Things are a bit slow right now before we start banding the birds at the end of the month. Steffani has taken a week off and Stephanie has come down to cover for her and get experience on another island. All 8 chicks in the 5 nests on Catalina are doing well and were checked yesterday.

:clk: Wednesday, May 12, 2009 :clk:

Steph: So this week was a very exciting and different week for me.
As some of you may know already, Steffani went on vacation to visit her family in Ecuador. I came down from Santa Cruz Island to sit in for her on Catalina.
It was a nice change to be down here and help out checking some of the nests.

Posted Image

Posted Image
At the PR nest, the chick is doing well and I was able to spot him moving about the nest.

:clk: Wednesday, May 27, 2009 :clk:

Steff: We have been checking on the nests that are not on the web a few times per week and they are all doing great.

Posted Image
PR nest, chick and mother K-56

Posted Image
Chick .. Home Alone? No a parent is close by .. See next photo & watch the video below.

Posted Image
K65, the PR male

Video by eaglegal PR Nest: May 23rd & 26th/09

We will be banding the Pinnacle Rock chick on Sunday, May 31/09

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani, Stephanie and/or the IWS crew)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MAY 31st ~ BANDING DAY! ~ INTRODUCING K-99

:clk: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 :clk:

Steff: This year we took a different route coming down to the nest.
Instead of rappelling straight down on the nest ridge, we went down one gully over to the east all the way to the beach from about 1600ft.

The eagles spotted us just before we got to the beach and landed close to their nest.

Posted Image
The PR chick out of the bag

Posted Image
Getting ready for banding

We also have a couple of longer videos of the process. (I would have loved to film parts of the climb up/down to show you just how remote and treacherous these gullies are but it was too dangerous to have the camera out or be reaching into the pack to get it out.)

Video by eaglegal: PR Banding Part One

Video by eaglegal: PR Banding Part Two

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATE ON K-99

:clk: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking on the Pinnacle Rock chick and he is doing great, exercising and getting ready to fledge.

Video by Eagle Guy: PR Chick June 8/09

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
K-99 IS A GIRL!

:clk: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 :clk:

Steffani: All the blood results back and it turns out we got them all right except for two. We banded the PR chick as a male ... but K-99 is a Female!

...........Posted Image
We check on her every couple of days

Video by eaglegal: PR Eaglet K-99: June 11 & 16/09

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
K-99 KEEPS PRACTICING!

:clk: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking nests and fledglings regularly and they are all doing well.

K99, the Pinnacle Rock eaglet, keeps exercising her wings and getting ready to take her first “steps” into the world. I hope I’m there to witness it and get some video of it.

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
K-99 HAS FLEDGED!

:clk: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 :clk:

Steffani: What a week we’ve had on Catalina! Almost every eaglet on the island has fledged.
I have been visiting all nest areas every couple of days trying to get visuals on the young eagles. That is easier said than done! None of them have left their nest areas yet but even while they remain in their territory, it is a challenge finding them, especially when the weather doesn’t cooperate.

When I went to check on K99, the Pinnacle Rock eaglet, I spent some time waiting for the fog to clear so I could see if she was still on her nest. Once I had a view of the nest I noticed K99 had began exploring the area surrounding the nest but it got even foggier to confirm a fledge.

A couple of days later, it took me a while to find K99 since she had flown to another ridge fairly close to the nest.

Posted Image.......... Posted Image
Around the nest........................... On another ridge

Video by eaglegal: PR Eaglet K-99

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
K-99 GOES EXPLORING!

:clk: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 :clk:

Steffani: All of the Catalina eaglets have fledged but none have left their nest areas so it is still relatively easy to get visuals and definitely “live” signals.
K99, the Pinnacle Rock chick has been exploring the coastline west of her nest

Zoomed In................................. No Zoom

Video by eaglegal: PR K-99

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
K-99 IS SOARING!

:clk: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 :clk:

Steffani: I am glad to report that all eight Catalina eaglets have been soaring the skies of their territories and the older ones are already starting to wander out a bit farther each day.

I have been checking each nest every couple of days and trying to get al least one visual per week. It is still relatively easy to do so since they continue to come back to the actual nest for feedings but pretty soon, they will all leave the coasts of their nest area and will move into the interior of the island looking for something to scavenge on.

:clk: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 :clk:

Steffani: We have had another great week here on Catalina.
I have seen K99, the Pinnacle Rock eaglet, twice this week and was able to get a really short video.

Video by eaglegal: PR Eaglet - K-99

(Pictures/videos courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Class of 2009 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic