Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Northern Channel Islands Nests; Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa Islands.
Topic Started: Feb 2 2009, 02:22 PM (10,775 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
As you know All Eagles All The Time 2008/2009 is an Archival/History where videos and still captures, showing all the various stages throughout the year in the lives of all the eagles, on the nests with WebCams, are posted.

The Pelican Harbor (PH) Nest ... is the only nest on Santa Cruz Island that currently has an online camera.

Cameras are also installed on the *Seal Rocks (SR) Nest ... *Twin Rocks (TR) Nest ... Two Harbors (TH) Nest and the West End (WE) Nest ... and soon 2 other nests Rattlesnake Canyon (RS) Nest and the Middle Ranch (MR) Nest may also come online. All these nests are on Santa Catalina Island.

Last season some new nests were discovered on the Northern Channel Islands and so in order to follow the events happening on the Cueva Valdez Nest... Grassland/Southside aka Malva Real Nest and the Sauces Nest on Santa Cruz Island as well as the Trap Canyon Nest on Santa Rosa Island ... this thread has been opened.

You can find out who is who at each nest by visiting the Meet The Adult Pairs thread.

Posted Image

Cueva Valdez ~ A-00/A-16 ..... **Grassland/Malva Real ~ A-17/ K-11 ..... Pelican Harbor ~ K-10/K-26..... Sauces ~ A-28/A-02

The other territory is A-11/A-21. This is currently a Non-breeding pair who have been seen at the Yellowbanks area of the South Shore on SC Island.
The IWS is hopeful for this coming season

* SR Adults moved to new nest ... No Camera.
* TR Camera not working.

** A-17 may be the new female at this nest.

Cedrick's ~ Aerial Photos of 4 of the SC territories.

Posted Image

We will be posting the links to the Northern Channel Islands Updates, written by Cedrick and Stephanie ... along with the photos taken by them ... so that members can easily access the information about the nests.

Thanks to Stephanie for the maps of the eagle pairs territories.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATES RE ADULT PAIRS

:clk: Wednesday, January 23, 2009 :clk:

Trap Canyon Nest ~ Santa Rosa Island
Stephanie: I spent several days looking for A-08 and A-22 in their territory. I went to check on their nest, and didn't see them in the area at all. It also doesn't appear that any new sticks have been added. So perhaps, they will start being active at the nest shortly or possibly build a new nest somewhere else.
I did find A-08 at Arlington Canyon and he spent quite some time flying around me, so I got lots of photos.

Posted Image........Posted Image........Posted Image
.............................................................................................. A-08 and A-22's territory

:clk: Friday, February 6, 2009 :clk:

Grassland/Malva Real Nest ~ SC Island
Stephanie: Unfortunately A-17 chose to hang out, just out of view, all day near Malva Real and Laguna Canyon.
The rain prevented me from getting out there again, so hopefully next week Pete may be able to find out what that pair is up to.

Sauces Canyon ~ SC Island
Upon arrival in the area, we saw A-02 perched on the cliffs and later flying in Sauces Canyon.
Just before sunset we saw both adults perched on the cliffs south of Sauces beach. No nest activity just yet.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image
Observing A-02 at Sauces.............A-02 flying................A-02 & A-28 perched on cliffs at sunset

Yellowbanks ~ SC Island
A-11 graced us with her presence. Unfortunately, she made a beeline for West Anacapa Island, so it is still possible that she may nest over there.
We'll be searching for those birds a lot this season, hoping that this is the year they will nest.

Trap Canyon Nest ~ SR Island
Next week Stephanie, Amanda and Rosanne are going to Santa Rosa, where they'll have the task of figuring out what A-08 and A-22 are up to.

(Pictures courtesy of Stephanie, Cedrick and/or the IWS crew)
(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
CONTINUED UPDATES RE ADULT PAIRS

:clk: Tuesday, February 10, 2009 :clk:

This is the first regular tour .. as a crew .. of Cedrick, Suzanne and Dave .. and they have a lot of work to do on Santa Rosa Island.

Trap Canyon Nest.
Cedrick:
We saw an adult blue tagged BAEA fly over us. We later found that bird perched in an Oak tree just above the nest. The rain prevented us from reading the tags but we can assume that it was either A-08 or A-22. Later in the week Dave, Suzanne and I observed A-08 and A-22 at the Trapp Cyn Nest. One was in the nest for a while, and the other perched nearby on the cliffs.

Posted Image........Posted Image
.... One in the nest.................... Cliffs near the nest

:clk: Wednesday, February 11, 2009 :clk:

Sauces Canyon ~ SC Island
Dr Sharpe/Pete:
Because everyone has been on Santa Rosa last week and this week, I decided to come out to cover Santa Cruz Island for a few days.
Today I went out to the west end of Santa Cruz to see if the Sauces pair were going to use last year's nest.

When I first arrived, female A-02 was perched in some trees a few hundred feet from the nest tree. I circled around behind her on a ridge trying to find a good location for us to put a blind. While searching I saw male A-28 coming up the canyon from the beach. He flew in and landed on a branch above the nest.
About 15 minutes later A-02 joined him on an adjacent branch.

........ A-28.................................. A-02 joined him

So it looks as if they will be using the same nest this year. Here is a short video of the two at the nest.

Video by Dr.Sharpe/Pete:
Sauces Pair at their Nest

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Stephanie, Cedrick and/or the IWS crew)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
FEBRUARY UPDATES CONTINUED RE ADULT PAIRS

:clk: SR Island Update February 10-17th, 2009 :clk:

Stephanie:We hiked out to the Trap Canyon Nest on Valentine's Day and were lucky enough to have that be the best day on the island with visuals of both adults in the nest and great weather. We built a blind out there also, so that we could sit in it when we return to monitor the status of the nest.

Posted Image............Posted Image............Posted Image
.... A-08 in nest......................A-22 perched near the nest..... A-08 flying above nest ridge

:clk: Northern Channel Islands Update February 17-24th, 2009 :clk:

First full tour out on Santa Cruz Island for Cedrick, Suzanne and Dave.

Sauces Canyon Nest.
Cedrick:
We knew that they returned to work on that nest this year.
Last tour Dr. Peter Sharpe went out to the nest site and found them renovating the nest. We also found them working on the nest and working on the bowl.

Posted Image
A-28 and A-02 at the nest.

Cueva Valdez Nest
Later in the week we surveyed the north shore of Santa Cruz Island in hopes of finding the Cueva Valdez Pair. About mid day we found the pair both perched in their favorite perch tree overlooking the ocean.

Posted Image
A-00/A-16

Yellow Banks
We had short visuals of the Yellow Banks Pair ( A-11/A-21) without any luck finding any nest.

:clk: Northern Channel Islands Update February 24- March 3, 2009 :clk:

This week was a very busy week on both Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa Islands.

Stephanie:
Amanda was on Santa Rosa last week and reported very exciting news that A-08 and A-22 are using the same nest again. She hiked out to the nest and saw an eagle sitting in incubation position, and later saw both adults sharing incubation duties.

We won't know how many eggs are in that nest until chicks hatch, as you can't get a good view into the nest bowl without being too close to the eagles.

Cueva Valdez territory ~ Santa Cruz Island
No eagles seen

Grassland/Malva Real ~ Santa Cruz Island
We're still trying to figure out what A-17 and K-11 are up to, but on the day we went out there both birds were perched near Johnson's beach, so apparently they do not have a nest yet.
Cedrick and Suzanne will be searching that area of the island this week in hopes of finding their nest.

Sauces Canyon Nest ~ Santa Cruz Island
Stephanie:
We also have exciting news to report about the Sauces pair, A-02 and A-28.
It turns out that they have also decided to use their same nest again in the cypress tree. Steffani and Rosanne tried hiking around the hillsides to see if they could get a view of eggs in the nest, but apparently they have done a very good job of making a very deep nest bowl. So we will have to wait until hatching to find out how many eggs they laid.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image
A-28 flying to the nest.............. Both Parents ...................... A-02 took off.......................... A-28 settling in

Video by Steffani: Sauces Pair

Yellowbanks area ~ Santa Cruz Island
No eagles seen.

We also surveyed other areas of the island,but found no new nests.
Rosanne and I found this pair out at Fraser Point, A-24 and A-40, just hanging out.

Posted Image
A-24/F & A-40/M

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MARCH UPDATES RE ADULT PAIRS

:clk: Northern Channel Islands Update: March 3-10, 2009 :clk:

Cueva Valdez Nest ~ Santa Cruz Island
Cedrick: We went looking for the Cueva Valdez Pair on the north shore of Santa Cruz Island.
Last tour we found the pair in their usual perching tree which lead us know that they don’t have an egg but possibly have a nest they might be working on.
This week we were unable to find them.

This could indicate that there is a nest with eggs and they are incubating now. Best of luck to Stephanie and her Crew in finding the nest!

..................Posted Image
Cueva Valdez looking towards the east.

The Sauces nest is active this year and this will be the second year this pair attempts to raise eaglets. This pair have nested in the same Monterey cypress tree as last year.
The tree grove is on the western end of Santa Cruz Island and is exposed to the strong westerly winds.

Observation Point...................... A-02- Incubating............And enjoying a break

Cedrick: Dave Roth has been on SR observing the Trapp Canyon Nest.
They are incubating properly and we hope they are successful this year.
David watched the male bring the female a fish. He was also able to see other eagles where there is a food source from the seal rookeries.

:clk: Northern Channel Islands Update: March 10 - 17, 2009 :clk:

Amanda, Rosanne, and Steph had a very busy week on Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa Islands.

Steph: Monday was a very eventful day for us, as Peter came out on a helicopter so that we could survey the northern islands searching for eagles and nests.

From the helicopter we got visuals of three eagles. One adult and two younger eagles.
We surveyed several of the major canyons on that coastline trying to narrow down a nest location where the other adult eagle might be but couldn't find anything.

We are hopeful there is a nest somewhere around there and that we will be fortunate enough to have good weather so we can take the boat out to further explore those canyons in hopes of finding a nest.

Grassland/Malva Real ~ SC Island
Steph: Amanda and I headed out to A-17 and K-11's territory from different vantage points and found both adults perched on a point near Johnson's Beach.
They both hung out together for over an hour, so apparently they do not have a nest yet.

Johnson's part of territory....... A-17 perched............................ A-17

Sauces Canyon Nest ~ SC Island
Amanda observed the Sauces nest one afternoon and saw both birds taking turns incubating and rolling the egg/eggs. (Again we won't know until they hatch how many eggs were laid.)
Later in the week, we just checked on the nest but didn't have enough time to find out who was sitting on the eggs.

Yellowbanks area ~ SC Island
Steph: Amanda and I both headed out to Yellowbanks on different trails.
It was a very windy day, so we were hoping to see the eagles flying around. Amanda got a glimpse of an adult eagle flying probably to roost, just before sunset.

Posted Image.......Posted Image
......................... A-11 & A-21's Territory

On Monday, from the helicopter, Peter saw two adult eagles, indicating that they too are not nesting yet.

Rosanne was on Santa Rosa this week and reported that both adults are still incubating at the nest in Trap Canyon.
It's hard for us to see into that nest from anywhere without disturbing the adults, so we will wait to be surprised around hatching time.

Amanda went to Fraser Point to search for the new pair we found out there earlier this year, A-40 and A-24 but she didn't spot either of those adults.
But from the helicopter, at the very western end of the island we found two adult bald eagles, one we identified as A-24 from photographs, and we are assuming the second eagle was A-40.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MARCH UPDATES RE ADULT PAIRS - Continued

:clk: Northern Channel Islands Update: March 17-24, 2009 :clk:

Stephanie: Dave and I spent a lot of time searching the Cueva Valdez territory for a nest.
He hiked out to the overlook of Cueva Beach and found A-00 hanging out perched down there, and even went and caught a fish. Unfortunately, all of our time spent hiking around that area this week did not lead us to a nest.
We are hoping the weather this week will be more cooperative and that Cedrick and Rosanne can get in the water to explore that coastline and hopefully find a nest.

Posted Image...........................Posted Image
......... A-00................................A-00/A-16's territory from Lady's & Baby's Harbor

Steph: Other exciting news is that we saw A-17 and K-11 in the stages of nest building. Both adults were bringing sticks back to a pine tree and rearranging them.
There isn't anything substantial in the trees right now, but I'm sure they can build a nest very quickly as we have seen lots of the Catalina pairs do this year.
So it's possible they too can lay eggs later this month.

It was too far away to take pictures with my camera, and the wind wouldn't let me take pictures through the spotting scope.
Cedrick and Rosanne will keep their eyes out this week and watch them continue to build their nest.

Both Dave and Steph checked on the Sauces nest this week and found the adults still incubating, so will let us know as soon as an egg hatches.

Suzanne: Both adults are still incubating at the Trap Canyon Nest.
It's possible that they could have eggs in early April, so we will keep watching in hopes of finding out when the chicks hatch.

Suzanne also explored Lobo Canyon on Santa Rosa searching for a possible nest for A-36 and A-39.
She did not find a nest, but still found both adults hanging out together.

Another pair of adult bald eagles were spotted on Santa Rosa as well, one a blue-tagged bird and the other an orange-tagged bird, so hopefully they will sit still long enough for us to read their tag numbers

:clk: Northern Channel Islands Update: March 24-31, 2009 :clk:

This last tour Peter Sharpe came out to Santa Cruz Island to help Rosanne and I survey and get the Pelican Harbor Camera ready for the hatching of the two eggs.

We were successful in getting the Pelican Harbor Camera remote to work so we could zoom in a little closer to the nest. Now we can see with more detail the chicks when they hatch.
While we were there I took this photo using an adapter to mount my camera to the spotting scope.

.....................................Posted Image
......................................... K-10 at PH Nest

NCI Crew Later in the week we took the boat out on the water to survey for the Cueva Valdez pair. For several weeks we have been working hard to try and get a better idea of where they might nest this year.
We quickly found them the mouth of Hazards Canyon. Both A-00 and A-16 were perched on the cliffs together. There is still a chance that they have a nest, or are still building a nest but have not laid an egg.

Posted Image...........Posted Image
..... Cueva Pair.......................... A-00/m Flying overhead.

Peter went to the Sauces nest. He was able to watch both adults A-02 & A-28 at the nest and he took these photographs.

We were expecting the eggs to hatch this week and everything he saw indicated that everything was ok

Sadly, I found the nest empty yesterday (March 31/09). No adults for over an hour and a half.
We have no idea why they might have failed this year as well.

After watching the nest I went to search for the pair and I found them together on their favorite cliffs on Kingston Point.

To take advantage of the good weather, we continued surveying and went to the other side of the island to look for the Yellow Banks Pair A-21 and A-11.

We were able to find both of them after watching one perched over the cliffs of Middle Anchorage. We did get to see one of the pair fly over the water and catch some thing bring it back to the cliffs and eat it.
After a while of observing that individual the second adult came from the west and perched on a fence post. A few minutes later it left out of sight and the first adult we were observing followed.

Posted Image...................Posted Image
Middle Anchorage Cliffs...........

We are confident it was the Yellow Banks Pair and again seeing both of them together confirms there is no egg. There is still a chance they have a nest or are building one but does confirm they have not laid eggs.

Amanda was out on Santa Rosa this tour and she observed them incubating properly and we can expect their eggs to hatch any day now.

So we hope the best for that pair on their second attempt to raise some offspring.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
APRIL UPDATES RE ADULT PAIRS

:clk: Northern Channel Islands Update: March 30- April 7, 2009 :clk:

Team concluded that they did not have an egg at this time ... still hoping there is still time this season for them to build a nest and attempt to breed.
They were able to find one individual quickly and were hopeful that Bald Eagle was the one of the pair(A-00 & A16) and could possibly lead them to their nest. Awhile later the second one flew into the Cueva Valdez Anchorage and they both perched on these cliffs.

Posted Image.......Posted Image
Uncertain why they do not show signs of attempting to breed this year.

Still not seen any consistent pattern indicating that A-17/f has built a nest or is incubating an egg.
The team have not had much time to watch this pair and see if they will breed this season so are depending on the GPS data to follow the status of this pair.

On Sunday Suzanne and Cedrick surveyed the east end of Santa Cruz Island .. looking for the Yellow Banks Pair.
They spotted an adult Bald Eagle perched on the cliffs over anchorage but could not read the tags of the individual they assumed it was one of the pair. A-21 and A-11. Later another adult BAEA joined the first and together they flew out over the water several times to fish. They were also observed dropping down onto the rocky shore below the cliffs to scavenge on something along the shore.

Posted Image

This is A-51/f .. who may be part of the Willows Pair .. spotted on her way back to the cliffs behind the Navy Site SCI.

Posted Image

David Roth was observing this nest this tour and he observed the parents sharing incubating duties.
The eggs were due to hatch this tour but there was no indication that there was a hatching before he left. Rosanne is out on Santa Rosa and she will notify us if there any chicks hatch.

:clk: Northern Channel Islands Update: April 7- 14, 2009 :clk:

Cueva Valdez - Grassland/Malva Real and Yellowbanks ~ Santa Cruz Island
Adults all spotted .. No active nests found

Still waiting to see if their egg will hatch this coming weekend.
If not, Cedrick will be heading out there to try and collect the egg to see if we can figure out what happened.

:clk: Northern Channel Islands Update: April 14- 21, 2009 :clk:

A-22 and A-08 continue to incubate on the nest without signs of any chick.
The incubation duties did have long gaps of being unattended which reaffirmed that the egg will not hatch. We are several days over the possible hatching days of the eggs and so the BAEA are just instinctually trying to take care of the egg.

This is the pair’s second attempt to breed and there are many things that could prevent the hatching of the egg.

We hope to collect the eggs so that we can send them to a lab for contaminant analysis and we hope to get some kind of an idea as to why the egg might not have hatched.

:clk: Northern Channel Islands Update: April 21-28, 2009 :clk:

We found both A-00 and A-16 perched along the cliffs
Both birds were perched together for over an hour and were vocalizing as they were being harassed by ravens.

Posted Image .......Posted Image
............ A-16.................................. A-16 & A-00

Dave reported seeing both A-02 and A-28 at Christy Beach, so it appears they will not lay another egg this year.

Yellowbanks Area ~ Santa Cruz Island
We checked out the area to see if we could find out what A-11 and A-21 were up to.
We saw both adults perched along the cliffs for 15 minutes, then they decided to take off to West Anacapa Island.

Fraser Point ~ Santa Cruz Island
Both adult eagles A-24 and A-40 were spotted. We were able to get some photos of the eagles expanding their diet beyond just fish by consuming a cormorant out at Fraser point.

............Posted Image....................................................Posted Image
A-24 flying away from ravens with her meal......................... A-40 also flying away from ravens

Cedrick was out on Santa Rosa Island for the weekend, and entered the Trap Canyon nest so that he could recover the egg with the help of Nick Todd, a local raptor biologist.

He observed the eagles A-08 and A-22 still sitting on the egg for a few hours each day, but it just didn't hatch. We wanted to collect the egg before ravens got to it, so that we might be able to send it to a lab for analysis.

Posted Image..................................Posted Image
Climbing down to the nest............. A-08 flying near the nest

:clk: Northern Channel Islands Update: April 28 - May 5, 2009 :clk:

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MAY UPDATES RE ADULT PAIRS

:clk: Northern Channel Islands Update: May 5-12, 2009 :clk:

Amanda: We took the boat out and we found A00 and A16 in their usual Cueva territory.

Posted Image ....... Posted Image
....... A-00 ........................................... A-16

On Thursday I headed out to Fraser Point to try to find our West End Pair, A24 and A40, but only saw A24 hanging around Fraser by herself all day.

Our weekend was dedicated to searching for shrikes, but we were able to get a great visual of A24 and A40 sitting together on the cross that stands on the very west end of Fraser. Unfortunately we couldn’t get a good photo since it was so foggy and we were too far away

On Thursday Rosanne headed out to look for the Sauces Pair, A02 and A28, and found them sitting together on their favorite bluff overlooking the ocean.
They took a couple short flights together and Rosanne also witnessed a copulation.

Posted Image
..... A-02 & A-28

Willows Anchorage Pair ~ Santa Cruz Island
The week started off slow as we were looking for the Willows Anchorage Pair on Wednesday, but couldn’t find them.
Thursday we went searching for the Willows pair again with no luck, but I did find A51 perching on the rocks over the ocean in Willows Anchorage.

Posted Image
.......... A-51

:clk: Northern Channel Islands Update: May 12-19, 2009 :clk:

Good weather permitted us to circumnavigate Santa Cruz Island twice this tour, and that is without a doubt the best way to locate lots of Bald Eagles.

We found the Cueva Valdez pair on both surveys. On one day they were perched together facing each other like a cute couple. We had some bait fish that we put into the water and the male A-00 went down twice for fish. After catching the fish he flew into a tree and eat them.

Posted Image...............Posted Image

We were able to find the Malva Real male K-11 perched near the old ground nest. He flew off before a picture could be taken.

As we passed Christie Beach, we found the Sauces pair and both the adults perched apart several hundred meters from each other. Interestingly, one of them was an unknown sub-adult BAEA.

....................Posted Image.......................................................Posted Image
One of the Sauces pair/unknown sub adult BAEA....................... The other member of Sauces Pair

We were unable to find any nests, but were able to locate the Willow’s pair, which has been very elusive.
Probably the highlight of both the boat surveys was finding the west end pair perched on the Santa Cruz Island cross on Fraser Point. Then later near Willow’s Anchorage, we found them both perched in different locations and I got a photograph of one of the adults.

.....................Posted Image.....................................................Posted Image
One on the cross and the other perched just below........................ On the tree

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MAY UPDATES RE ADULT PAIRS - Continued

:clk: Northern Channel Islands Update: May 23-27, 2009 :clk:

So as you all know already, Amanda and I headed out to help with the banding on Catalina Island of the Seal Rocks nest and the Two Harbors nest. It was great to be able to help out and also an adventure getting to the nests.

We then headed back out to Santa Cruz on Saturday where we were joined by Rosanne.
We didn't have much time on the islands to look for eagles because we were having a lot of mechanical issues with our ATVs and the boat.

Rosanne was the one who saw the most eagles this past weekend, so we'll have to thank her for getting all the shots to post this week.

She headed out to Fraser and was able to find A-24 and A-40 both perched on the cross again.

Posted Image......Posted Image

She checked on the Sauces pair too A-02 and A-28 and also found them together on one of their favorite places to perch.

Posted Image......Posted Image

:clk: Northern Channel Islands Update: May 27-June 3, 2009 :clk:

We were able to go out on the Zodiac and found the Cueva Valdez pair perched on the ridge that forms the eastern half of Hazards Anchorage. This is one of the pairs favorite places to perch. With some luck we can motor close to them and watch them from a very close distance.

The Eagles ability to tolerate us from such a close distance amazes me.

A00 and A16

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
JUNE UPDATES RE ADULT PAIRS

:clk: Northern Channel Islands Update: June 2-9, 2009 :clk:

We headed out on a boat survey during the week, as well as surveying along the north shore of Santa Cruz heading towards Cueva Valdez.
However we couldn't find the Cueva birds

We were able to get sightings of A-02 at Sauces though.

Amanda, Rosanne, and I started our week on Santa Cruz Island with an eagle sighting of both A-11 and A-21 at Yellowbanks.
We hadn't seen those birds in a long time, and it is very difficult to get confirmed tag IDs of these two birds because they usually perch so far away from us.
That area of the island is also difficult to navigate with all the kelp, which prevents us from getting so close. However, this particular day, both eagles allowed us to approach very closely, so that we could identify them.

Posted Image...... Posted Image
A-11 perched on fence post............................................................................... A-21

:clk: Northern Channel Islands Update: June 9-16 , 2009 :clk:

Suzanne and I were on Santa Cruz Island this tour.
This week we did not survey very much because the breeding season is ending and we needed to start gearing up for the trapping season. We did however take advantage of some beautiful days by surveying the north shore on the boat.

One day we were able to put a small fish out on the water and from well over one hundred meters A-00 went down and took the fish. Jessica Sanchez an Island Fox biologist with IWS was with us and she took these great photos of A-00 making acrobatic adjustments as he observed the fish from flight.

Posted Image.......Posted Image....... Posted Image

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
JULY UPDATES RE ADULT PAIRS

:clk: Northern Channel Islands Update: June 30 - July 7, 2009 :clk:

This week was a lot more action packed than it has been lately on Santa Cruz.
As most of you probably know already, Peter came out for a few days this week so that we could officially begin our trapping season on the northern islands.

We continued using the same technique as in previous years, with a floating fish as our bait for the eagles.
This year, we were hoping we might have better luck than last year and would have news of an eagle capture to report to everyone.

Unfortunately, after three very long days out on the ocean, we were unable to catch any of the eagles on the island.
Amanda, Peter, and myself all have very different feelings for Western Gulls now, as they foiled most of our attempts at catching eagles.

Steph: While out trying to trap the birds at Cueva Valdez, we discovered a third mystery eagle, who we later identified as A-29.

However, once he was discovered by A-00, a territorial dispute played out before our eyes ... and he was chased away by A-00.

Posted Image
.................. A-00 & A-16

We continued along the south coastline in the boat and came across A-17 at Johnson's and Pozo. Unfortunately water conditions and kelp didn't help us catch this uninterested eagle.
We managed to catch an adult western gull, so that definitely foiled our plans of catching her.

We headed to the south side of Santa Cruz as well, where we found the Willows pair, A-51 and A-45.

A-45 headed for the hills right away, but we were able to spark some interest in A-51. However, not enough interest for her to get caught.

Posted Image
..................................... A-51

:clk: Northern Channel Islands Update: July 22, 2009 :clk:

Amanda: Well, due to a change in plans, Stephanie and I both ended up heading out to Santa Cruz this past week in order to straighten out some maintenance and vehicle transportation errands that were in order. While this took up most of our week, we did manage to get out onto the boat to find a couple of eagles.

We headed out to Cueva to check on A00 and A16, and found one of them perched in their favorite tree.

Unfortunately we have some bad news.
Just recently, we have found out that A02, the female from our Sauces pair on Cruz, has been found dead in Pozo.

Lobo Canyon ~ Santa Rosa Island
Bad news here too. We were sad to learn that A36 was found dead on Santa Rosa Island this past week.
She had paired up with A39 this year, and we were hoping that they would nest this upcoming season in their territory on Rosa.

We have recovered her body, but are not sure if we will be able to determine a cause-of-death. Poor A36.

What an unfortunate week for the eagles, we are so sad to lose both of these wonderful females.

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Stephanie, and/or the IWS crew)

For complete update, pictures and/or videos, click on the date.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
AUGUST UPDATES RE ADULT PAIRS

:clk: Northern Channel Islands Update: August 3, 2009 :clk:

Amanda: .. Pete and I had quite the week, most of it was spent on our boat in the hopes of catching an eagle or two, so that we can attach GPS backpacks to them.

We are finding that the business of trapping eagles is very tricky! Great for the birds, but not so much for us biologists – we are very eager to get some tracking devices especially on some of our breeding pairs. With the low level of nesting success up here on the Northern Islands, we sure could use any additional forms of monitoring we can get at this point.

One day we were able to drive our boat around the entire island, and we saw nine eagles! Some of the birds we got visuals on are A-21 (Yellowbanks male) and who we believe to be K-67, A-17, the Fraser pair, and the Sauces pair.

We spent a lot of time with the Cueva pair .. A-16 and A-00, who indulged our efforts by repeatedly diving for our fish, waiting while we made changes to our trap design, and diving again when we set it out.

Here is a picture of them watching and waiting, and some photos of A00 grabbing a fish:

Posted Image..........Posted Image..........Posted Image

We saw A-17 at Pozo

Posted Image

The only birds who dove for our trap that day were the Sauces birds.
Pete and I have high hopes in catching these eagles as well as the Cueva eagles, when we get our trap working, as they always seem interested in a free meal.

We saw A-21 sitting with K-67 at Yellowbanks

Posted Image

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update, August 11 to August 18, 2009 :clk:

Stephanie: .. This past week, Amanda and I both returned to Santa Cruz Island to search for the eagle pairs again. We had some office work/vehicle work to catch up on, but we were able to get out in the field both on land and sea to find some bald eagles.

We headed out in search of A-00 and A-16 in their territory at Cueva Valdez and found A-00 perched in the usual spot.

We’ve been trying to give the eagles some free fish when we find them, in hopes that they will come down to our boat when we are trying to trap them.
We managed to get A-00 to come down for our free fish, so hopefully next week when Peter comes out, we will be able to catch our first eagle and put a transmitter on him.

......Posted Image......................Posted Image
A-00 waiting for another fish............ A-00 flying away after catching fish

Videos by Steph: Part 1: A-00 flying around Cueva
............................ Part 2: A-00 flying around Cueva

Stephanie: I went to check on the Fraser pair, and found both birds perched together north of Fraser Point, on some cliffs. ( A-24 and A-40 )

Posted Image..........Posted Image
Fraser birds territory................ Both adults perched

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Stephanie, and/or the IWS crew)

For complete update, pictures and/or videos, click on the date.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
« Previous Topic · Class of 2009 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic