Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Catalina Update; March 4, 2009
Topic Started: Mar 4 2009, 06:03 PM (2,502 Views)
Eagle Guy
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
I've had a busy week chasing the eagles around and trying to find nests. As of the last update, only Two Harbors and Twin Rocks had laid eggs. The Two Harbors birds are still sitting on two eggs and the Twin Rocks birds were still incubating an unknown number of eggs as of yesterday.

I've been trying to figure out if the Rattlesnake pair is going to breed this season. I've checked last year's nest daily and saw the female (K-47) perched near the nest on 2/26 and 3/1. I spent most of yesterday just sitting on a ridge where I could see most of the coastal portion of their territory. I caught sight of K-80 perched near Toyon Canyon in late morning and watched him fly and catch a fish before he disappeared behind a shrub to eat. K-47 appeared below me about a half hour later and I watched her soar and then perch, preen, and poop for 2 hours. She eventually took off again and it looked like she might have brought a stick to a eucalyptus grove. However, K-80 later soared past my location and then went over to perch near last year's nest. They may have a disagreement about where to nest this year. I'm hoping they don't choose last year's nest because the raven numbers are extraordinarily high in that canyon and they are always bothering the eagles when they are present.

K-80 Soaring
Posted Image

As I mentioned last week it looked like the Pinnacle Rock pair was going to lay soon. I've been checking the nest almost every day and on Friday the male (K-65) was in incubation posture (K-56 standing on side of nest).
Posted Image

A short time later he stood up and showed me their egg.
Posted Image

As of Monday they still had one egg. I went to check the nest today and watched it from 0900-0930, however the bird never stood up. At 0930 the storms rolled in and I couldn't see more then 50 feet. I huddled in the blind until the heaviest of the rain stopped and then hiked out. I'll have Steffani check the nest tomorrow, but I bet they have two eggs.

I've been checking the Middle Ranch nest daily, as well. The nest is getting big and both birds were there working on it this afternoon. Maybe next week we'll have news on their first eggs ever.

As most of you know the West End pair laid their first egg on Saturday (2/28). We are going to have a hard time seeing eggs in that nest, so we'll probably never know exactly how many eggs they lay.

I spent much of 2/27 in the Seal Rocks territory searching for and watching the birds. I first caught sight of the male soaring above the nearby quarry and then fly past the nest ridge to the west. A short time later I found the female perched a few hundred feet below last year's nest. She was doing a lot of vocalizing, but it was more of a "whiny" call than a territorial call. It is a sound you usually only hear during the breeding season. Because it seemed like she was at least interested in breeding this year, but had not visited the nest yet, I began searching the coast and other canyons in the area for a possible new nest. A couple hours later I saw an adult perched on their favorite point above Seal Rocks.
Posted Image
The bird later flew towards me and disappeared into the nest canyon. At that point I decided to hike down the nest ridge, which we'd been avoiding so as not to scare them away from last year's nest, and found the male incubating at a new nest a few hundred feet below the previous nest.

Posted Image

As of Monday, they had two eggs. I was going to check again today, but the clouds and fog were too thick. I'll show Steffani where the new nest is tomorrow and see if they have more eggs. I don't think it will be feasible to get a camera on this nest, so I'll likely be taking the Seal Rocks Nest Cam link of our website.

That is it for this week. We should have more nests and eggs next week.
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

summer818
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thank you Dr. Sharpe for this fabulous report. :)^ I hope the Rattlesnake pair find a nesting site, and soon! :X: You really give you're all for the eagles, even hunkering down in a downpour. :><:

Zachary
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thank you Dr. Sharpe for your report! You take excelent photos! To tell the truth, I never knew there werem roe nests than the ones we have cameras for. I'm not very educated when it comes to Bald Eagles. :D

Lori
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thanks Dr. Sharpe for the great update!!!
I am so happy that you have found the new Seal Rocks nest and that they do indeed have eggs. :D

harpo516
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Speechless - what a week - boy are those eagles keeping you guessing...

Rattlesnake pair - nice if they would "talk" to each other a bit - some give and take ;)
Pinnacle Rock - awesome news about the egg (maybe eggs) :**:
Seal Rocks - awesome that you tracked 'em down and discovered the new nest! AND eggs! :**: :><: :**:

and MR pair - the first eagles I saw soaring - great news that they are working on their nest and hopefully eggs to come soon! is it the nest you started or the one that they were kind of working on - inquiring minds want to know! <3 :><:

Thank you so much for the info - really looking forward to next weeks update and hoping for even more eaglets to come - of course look at the banding you will have to do ..... :}^

lovethebabies
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thank you Dr Sharpe for the exciting report. Those eagles sure like to keep you on your toes don't they. I sympathize with you having to be out in the rain! I am so happy to hear about the Seal Rocks pair, even if we won't be able to watch them this year! I loved Gulliver so much, I am happy they have more babies in the works! I will be content if you can post the occasional picture of them for this season! At least they are still together and nesting. Lots of possibilities for this season to keep you busy (like you need to be busier, lol). Have a safe week! :^:

betsy
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thanks Dr. Sharpe for a very informative report. And I loved the pictures. It will be really neat if this year all the eggs hatch and all the eaglets survive. :D

Lauri
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Dear Dr. Sharpe,

Excellent nest-detecting this week! Glad you found the new Seal Rocks nest. Got my fingers crossed for the MR pair.

I hope you get by okay in the office without any little hatched eaglets peeping away in the incubator this spring. I imagine it might seem a bit lonely. *s* But I'm sure you won't miss the extra hikes up to the nests to swap out eggs or eaglets.

Thanks for the update!

Lauri

Eagle Duo
Member Avatar
Eagleholic
Wow! So much news this week! My head is spinning! Thanks for all the info and the wonderful pictures. Glad you found the new SR nest. They sure do like to play hide-n-seek with their nests and their eggs.

Thanks for taking time out of your busy schedule to post such a great update!

SoCal Lady
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Oh Peter, this is fabulous news that you found the new Seal Rock Pair's nest! And even better to hear they are incubating as well. Sounds like they did not venture too far from their old nest and still in their territory, just like TwinRock pair did last year.

Thrilled that PR pair are incubating now, as well. Hooray for K65 and his new mate, K56!

Thank you so much for taking the time to fill us all in on your adventures this week and the photos are great as always. SR's new nest sure is a handsome one!

Artsy Mom
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Love, love, love it all :><: :><: :><: I'm thinking the Seal Rocks pair saw that deer in their nest and said to themselves..'we have to find a more inaccessible spot for our eaglets this year' :lol: I wonder if they will be as vocal as Gulliver :<:: Can't wait for another dancing 'Star' too and I am so happy the Pinnacle Rocks pair have at least one egg already too.

If the Rattlesnake pair do nest in the same spot I guess they'll have to take a clue from Wray and Superman who are very good at playing hide the eggs from prying eyes and pesky ravens :lol:

Thanks for all the news and those great closeups B-)) It's shaping up to be a very eggciting season for the Channel Islands Eagles and all of us who love watching them :)^

bette
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Dr Sharpe - what a fabulous update of all the nests and great :clk:

The SR pair sure picked an seemingly inaccessible place for their new nest to keep it from the prying eyes of all of us eagleholics. No wonder we never saw them at the old nest - they were very, very busy elsewhere. It seems they must have seen the deer and snake last year. We will rely on you and :<S><: to keep us posted on their progress throughout the season. Will you even be able to access it for banding?

Bette

bette
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Lauri - nest-detecting. I like that one. rofl

iggle
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Eggs, eggs and more eggs! I can "hear" the excitement in your voice this week, Dr. Sharpe and we are all just as excited. Looks like a very busy nesting season ahead. :^: :^: :^: Thank you for all your hard work...

ForWendy
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
What a fabulous update Dr. Sharpe and beautiful photos too! Thank you!

DealsFor.me - The best sales, coupons, and discounts for you
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · IWS Updates · Next Topic »
Add Reply