Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Catalina Update; Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Topic Started: Mar 11 2009, 05:08 PM (2,509 Views)
eaglegal
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Hello everybody,

We have had another busy week here on Catalina.
I have checked Twin Rocks (TR) a few times this week always finding one of the adults sitting on the nest. We will not know how many eggs they have until we fix the camera equipment on the mainland; even then we might no be able to tell since we do not really have a complete view of the nest.
On Saturday
Posted Image

Today
Posted Image

This week both Pete and I have spend several hours a day searching for the Rattlesnake (RS) pair trying to figure out whether or not they would breed this year and where. I have seen the male a few times just perching along the coast of his territory and Pete spotted them together on the 5th, after that we have seen just one at the time.
Gallagher’s Campground, part of the RS birds’ territory.
Posted Image

North from Toyon Canyon
Posted Image

Around the same area but on the next day
Posted Image

I saw him flying over Avalon yesterday
Posted Image

Posted Image

On Monday, Dave Work, from the Catalina Island Marine Institute (CIMI) in Toyon canyon, notified Pete that the eagles had built a nest in their canyon. Pete went to check it out and he found K47, the female of the RS pair already incubating. Last they were seen together was on the 7th so they must have laid egg/eggs between then and the 10th, which is when Pete saw her incubating already.
Here’s a short video of K47 on her nest
Posted Image

K47 incubating
Posted Image

Pete watching the RS nest from our “blind”
Posted Image

Cont...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

eaglegal
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
I checked the RS nest this morning and watched K47 incubate for over two hours. I was hoping to see the male around and maybe a switch but he never came. One of the reasons this nest was not successful last year was probably because the male did not contribute as much with the incubation duties as he should have and there are too many ravens in the area to leave the eggs unattended for any period of time. We are hoping this year things are different and they successfully hatch and fledge chicks. Here is K47 today taking a short break from incubating
Posted Image

Pinnacle Rock and Seal Rocks both have two eggs. Pete took these pictures this morning.
SR
Posted Image
PR
Posted Image

Same goes for Two Harbors and we assume West End has two eggs as well. We will not know until they start hatching.

We have checked the Middle Ranch pair daily. Pete has seen them working on their nest but no eggs have been laid yet.
The nest tree
Posted Image

A nice looking nest
Posted Image

Yesterday I spend all day looking for new birds/pairs on the south side of the island and while I did not find any new pairs I did pick up signals from four young birds, K70 (Pinnacle Rock chick, 2008), K63 (TH chick, 2006), K88 (TR chick, 2008) and K00 (PR chick, 2007).
K88 was last spotted in Oregon on November 2008 and K00 left the island in September 2007 and has not seen since then. I saw K63 on the first week of November on the TR area but we did not know its radio would still work.
Tomorrow I am going back to the south side and Salta Verde, hopefully I will get some visuals of these ‘new’ subadults.

Since three out of the six nests that we have cameras on have moved to a different location, Pete and I will have a lot of fieldwork this season. We are going to be busy!

I leave you with a very pretty island road view on the south side of the island…
Posted Image

Until ‘nest’ week,
Steffani

Eagle Duo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
:><: :><: :><: What great news! New parents-to-be on the nest! Love their nest too! Looks like it'll be shaded from the hot sun. Hope the male gives the female the help she needs this year! :X:

Looking at the terrain, it's amazing you're able to find what you do find. Lotsa thanks to you and Pete for all the hard work you do! The eagles are lucky to have you both!

harpo516
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Awesome news this week Steffani - how cool is that! Lots of wonderful news on the eagles. So now while I'm in Avalon - I have to always be looking skyward! I can't believe you saw that ........ what eagle eyes you have1 WOO HOO

Thanks for all you do - hoping for much success

iggle
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Eggs, eggs and more eggs! Yippeee! :^: :^: :^: Keeping :X: that all goes well. It's a good thing you & Dr. S. have some extra help this year - you're going to need it! What an exciting report, Steffani! Thanks so much. "Nest" week - that is so cute.... :rolleyes:

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Super news about all the nests .... Thanks Steff and for all the wonderful photos too.

A question ... are you still going to refer to them as the Rattlesnake Canyon pair (RS) even though they have built their nest in Toyon canyon?

We have them listed in AEATT on the Meet The Adult Pairs thread as RS .. and they also have their own thread there, which we try to keep updated with all the information happening on their nest, from your super updates.

Sara Oh
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Great news Steffani! Thanks for sharing.

Lauri
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Dear Steffani,

Great photos! I especially love the last one with the California poppies in bloom. Mine are just starting to come up in my yard.

Hooray on locating the RS pair! Let's hope the new nest inspires pop to do his fair share of the incubating!

Very exciting for you to have seen so many eagles this week. It's always nice to catch up on the juveniles.

Thanks for the report and pictures!

Lauri

ojailala
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Loved seeing the work that went into making that new Seal Rock nest... very good looking....

lovethebabies
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Another exciting report Steffani! Lots of young ones around, this gives me hope that all our missing babies from 2008 are just off on adventures! Have a safe week!

summer818
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thank you Steffani for that fabulous update! :><: I sure hope our Catalina eagles are able to have nests full of eaglets. :^: :^: Thank you for all you and Peter do! :><:

SoCal Lady
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
:}^ STEFFANI Oh my goodness , your and Peter sure have your hands full, especially with three cams not being any help to you this season. I hope Pete can get TR transmitting, if he ever gets a breather to come to the Mainland to get if going.

K47 & K80's nest is beautiful and some shade too. Hope K80 gets with the program! She is young, but he is what, 11 years old. SR's new nest is pretty too. Oh, heck, all the nests are all beautiful! <3

I always get thrilled when you report that juvies who have left Catalina --return HOME! TR - K88 sure flew far and wide, in just 7 months or so, goodness Oregon and back! Welcome home K63 and K00 too :><: Happily PR- K70 is still home, possibly going to stay or maybe go visit Northern Channel Islands.

Thank You Steff, you and Pete stay safe out there while you hoof it all around chasing and observing all the eagle nests.

vickih
Advanced Member
Steffani,

Thank you for all the great news! Looks like it's going to be a busy season with all the nests. I hope K80 starts helping K47. So glad to hear about K88, K70, K00 and K63. Glad the came back to the islands.

Thanks again, Staffani and I hope you and Dr. Sharpe have a great week.

Vickih

Naturegal
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Steffani - Thanks for your newsy update, video and photos, lots of ^"^ ^"^ to look forward to. You and Peter are sure going to be busy this season.

abgator
Advanced Member
:<S><: B-)) with all the active nests just in Catalina Island, you guys will have a very busy season :blink: . We all thank you for the great dedication and concern you have for all these wonderful birds.

:X: :)^

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · IWS Updates · Next Topic »
Add Reply