Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Catalina Update; Wednesday, March 25, 2009
Topic Started: Mar 25 2009, 04:53 PM (2,744 Views)
eaglegal
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Pee’ ech is a girl!

I was looking for something clever to begin this update with and that’s what I came up with. Before I go on with the weekly bald eagle news, I have to talk about our golden eagle’s latest revelation. Last week I was cleaning ‘her’ cage and I found the strangest thing on the ground right underneath her perch; it was a broken eagle egg!
Posted Image

I stared at it for a while trying to think of how the egg shells had gotten there and the most obvious answer just didn’t make sense to me even though it was the most obvious answer so I looked at Pee’ ech and said: well, I guess we need to find you a new name, again!
Pete was off the island so I needed to confirm it with him before I broke the news to everybody else. At first he thought I had found a quail egg (the quail we buy sometimes have eggs in them) but I knew it was an eagle egg so I waited until he got back. A couple of days later, he went up to the perch and found the rest of the eggshell.
Posted Image

It isn’t common for birds to lay unfertilized eggs in captivity but it can happen. (I guess Pee’ ech got tired of being called a ‘pretty boy’ and that was her way of telling us)
We are going to have to ask the Tongva community to think of a more appropriate name for her since Pee’ ech mean My Little Brother. In the meantime we have been unofficially calling her Heidi
Posted Image
(photo by Gary Hansen)

These shots were taken yesterday morning on one of the fabulous IWS island tours!
Posted Image
(photo by Gary Hansen)

Posted Image
(photo by Gary Hansen)

Cont...
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

eaglegal
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Back to bald eagles now.

Twin Rocks still has their egg/eggs. Here is a picture of the nest from Long Point.
Posted Image

Pete went to check on the TR cam this week, unfortunately, it looks like we may have to replace a lot of the equipment before it goes back on-line. The Long Point observation spot is the best view we have right now.

The Pinnacle Rock nest is doing just fine, I don’t have pictures of them this week but we check them every other day and they still have their two eggs.
The same goes for the Seal Rocks nest. I made a short video last time I was there. This is the female incubating.
Posted Image

West End is doing fine as well. We are very thankful that camera is still working because it saves us a 4hour drive and a 35min hike every other day and as beautiful as the drive to the WE is, we sure don’t have the time to do it 3 times a week.
Here’s the nest seen from a couple of miles away
Posted Image

The Two Harbors (TH) eggs are due to hatch this week so be sure to watch the TH cam or check the forum this week. As opposed to all of the other breeding pairs on the island, the TH adults have never seen an eagle hatch before so this year they should have quite a different experience and we will get to see it all.

We have checked the Middle Ranch pair daily and while we’ve seen then visit their new nest, they have not laid any eggs yet.
Here is A32, the female, on her new nest
Posted Image

Here is K93, the male, perched on the eucalyptus trees by the boats at the reservoir
Posted Image

I circled the male on this picture
Posted Image

All the young birds I mentioned on the last update are still on the island moving all over the place. In fact, K88 has gone to San Clemente for the passed week but we always get his signal from the south side of Catalina.
Yestreday, we watched K78 (one of the 2007 TH chick) getting chased away by one of the TH adults because K78 started flying over their territory. It is K81 and K82’s chick but as far as they are concerned it is just another intruder to them. K63 (the 2006 TH chick was also in the area but we didn’t get a visual of that one). Here is the chase
Posted Image
(photo by Gary Hansen)

Here’s another unidentified adult, probably one of the TH adult since we were in their territory.
Posted Image
(photo by Gary Hansen)

The Rattlesnake pair has been spotted a few times this week hanging out by the coast along their territory. We sure hope they try and breed again this year.

I think that’s all I have for today.

Steffani

Joanie
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Bravo, Steff! What a great update, as usual! Manu and I, along with Deb and Gary were treated to a very special day with Steff yesterday :soar: ... I'm sure we'll both be posting pix in days to come. Thank you Steff for a day never to be forgotten! :wub:

Eagle Duo
Member Avatar
Eagleholic
WOW! Knock us over with a feather! I can just imagine what must have been going through your mind when you found those egg shells! Great report, Steff! :**: :**: :**:

Thanks for all your work each week. You pack more into a day than most people pack into a week!

iggle
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Super update again Steffani! Love it. And what a surprise about Pee’ ech/Heidi! There has been great interest today about the way K81 & K82 are reacting to noise & movement coming from their eggs and I see you all are curious as to how they will handle things too. Chicks are on the way! Thank you and all the IWS crew for allowing us to share in the excitement!

JudyB
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
I admit that sometimes when it's egg-laying time in a nest I watch on cam, I get excited thinking that I'm seeing a parent in a position I associate with the laying of eggs - and after looking at the parent a bit more closely, I realize it's the male. :blsh:

I've never actually had one of the males lay an egg, however! :D That is a great story! And does emphasize just how hard it is to know for sure who is who! :huh:

Thanks so much for a great report, Steffani - and I'm looking forward to learning Pee’ ech's new name. :D

Jeanette
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Great update Steffani. Now you know that my sister and I can keep a secret when you showed us the egg last week but were not sure until Dr Sharpe looked at them to confirm.

Michele
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Steff, what a surprise.....We have a Heidi in the house. Outstanding!!!

Yet another great report this week......Thank You and Thank You ES for some beautiful shots of Heidi and K-78, K-81 & K-82. :)^ :><: :clk:

lovethebabies
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thanks Steffani for another fun update. I had a good laugh at your story about how Pee'ech surprised you! Gary got some great pictures! Interesting to know that TH parents have never actually hatched their eggs. Parents have seemed curious tonight! Have a safe week! Hopefully we'll have our first baby for the year tomorrow! :^:

summer818
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thank you Steffani, another fabulous report, all good news! :lol: Heidi is an adorable name for our girl. I wonder if Pimu was not thrilled with another girl in the house. :D I thank you so much for your hard work you and Peter do! :><:

ojailala
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Jeanette,Mar 25 2009
06:42 PM
Great update Steffani. Now you know that my sister and I can keep a secret when you showed us the egg last week but were not sure until Dr Sharpe looked at them to confirm.

Good girl Jeanette... It must have been a hard secret to keep....

ojailala
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Great photos Gary.... must have been so much fun with those eagles flying overhead... <3 :soar: :clk:

circlescribe
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Wow! What a surprising and fantastic update! :><: Aww, the nesting season must have brought out her maternal yearnings. :wub: 'Heidi' might be a good nickname, she was kinda' 'hiding' something. :lol:

And wonderful photos Gary! :><: Especially of our 'new' girl. :GE:

Good job keeping the secret J & J. B) B)

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Super Update ... with a surprise twist too ... :D

Takes us back to our Princess Cruz ... everyone thought she was a boy too! But just like Pee'ech/Heidi she knew different!

The Middle Ranch pair made a great job of their new nest ... hope that they soon have some eggs in it.

That was funny that K-78/Sol was chased away by Mom/K-82 or Dad/K-81 ... guess he just wanted to say "Hi" when he was in the neighbourhood!

Super photos Gary ...

Thanks again Steff for all that you do ... especially keeping us updated. We really appreciate you.

SoCal Lady
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
:}^ STEFFANI--- I would have given anything to have seen the look on your face when you found that egg!!! I can just picture you looking in wonderment and looking up at Peech/Hyde-HEIDI :lol:

Gary's pictures of Heidi are gorgeous! :><:

Quite a surprise too that K78 came back around his nest home--probably just a coincidence, as he was cruising the Island--and K81 & K82 did exactly what you and B-)) said would happen if one of their Juvies attempts to re-visit "home". Just neat you all were there to see it first hand and get a great picture of the event.

Maybe there is still hope for A32 & K93 this season---since she is visiting the nest still.

I am sure you and B-)) are equally as excited and some nervous anticipation about what is happening at TH. This will be another wonderful wonderful event if all goes well. :X: :X: :X:

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · IWS Updates · Next Topic »
Add Reply