Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Twin Rocks Eagle's Nest 2008/2009; Banding Day to Fledging!
Topic Started: May 30 2009, 11:43 AM (2,178 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
As you know All Eagles All The Time 2008/2009 is an Archival/History in Videos and Still captures showing the various stages throughout the year in the lives of the Eagles on the Twin Rocks Nest on Catalina Island.

This camera is currently offline, but through the IWS Catalina Updates we have been kept informed re what is happening at this nest.

As Dr.Sharpe was unable to go to the mainland to fix the cam they were checking the nest from their only observation spot at Long Point and on February 24th, 2009 it was observed that K-17 was in the incubating position ... their first egg had been laid!

On April 8th's Catalina Update we were informed that at least one chick was on the nest ... and then later on April 15th's Catalina Update they found that there were now 2 chicks on the nest.

Now we have reached Banding Day .... where the eaglets will get their ‘wing blings’ .... and start on the journey to become fledglings.

In this topic we will also cover Branching ... although there are no actual tree branches on this nest to branch to, there is a rock ledge that the eaglets may use instead .... and the final stage of Fledging. This will be both a joyous and sad time for us all .... we will be sorry to see them leave the nest .... but we will wish them God Speed and Safe Journeys when that time finally happens.

Once the camera is back online ... any Videos and Stills posted on this thread .. will have been selected .. as their favourites ... by the members who have captured them on Nest Watch.
You can see more videos, and still pictures, by visiting the Daily Observations thread. Also known as Nest Watch

Again we ask you not to post comments in this thread. VIEWING ONLY PLEASE! This will enable faster viewing by Dr. Peter Sharpe and the IWS Team ... for record purposes .... and also for members and visitors to the forum.

Capturers are asked to wait until Cumbrian or EDblue (Eagle Duo) posts the first thread of each day before oosting or reserving a space for your videos and/or captures of the day to keep continuity to the archives.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
TODAY WE GOT OUR WINGBLINGS!

May 30, 2009

..... Hatch Dates ................................ Wingbling Numbers ................ Fledge Dates
April 2/09? and April ?/09.................... K-96 (M) & K-94 (M)...................... June 30/09 .. Confirmed both fledged by Steffani

:<<>>: Videos by Trish :<<>>:
Jim Spickler Collecting the TR Eaglets to Band
TR Returning the banded chicks just take my word for it okay

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 3, 2009 :clk:

Banding Day at TR Nest: Saturday, May 30th, 2009

For complete details and captures of the day, go to: http://z7.invisionfree.com/CHIL_EagleCAM/i...topic=4053&st=0
Offline Profile Goto Top

cdn-cdn
Member Avatar
Advanced Member

May 30, 2009

The cam was very dark and blurry, but we all did our best to get some captures.

Jim Spickler (I think) getting the 2nd bag ready; 1st eaglet is in backpack 11:51 am

Posted Image Posted Image

picking up 2nd eaglet, who is hiding behind the front rock

off both chicks go for banding, one on Jim's back and one being carried in a bag attached with a clip to his waist 11:56 am

Offline Profile Goto Top

Naturegal
Member Avatar
Advanced Member

May 30, 2009

TR Banding.............Featuring Jim Spickler and the TR Twins.... ^"^ ^"^

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member

May 30, 2009

This is the hardest nest to gain access to the eaglets. They have to rappel down to them

Posted Image
We take the Orange hat person to be Jim who went down to retrieve them

Posted Image
This must be his partner who has just returned them to the nest.

It was so dark on the Cam .. that it was impossible to see the eaglets being bagged and then returned to their nest.

The IWS normally video tape all the action ..
Offline Profile Goto Top

pamwillie
Member Avatar
Advanced Member

May 30, 2009

TR - 1:22 - returning eaglet after banding...
here is "someone" returning "someone" <3
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Eagle Duo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
GETTING USED TO THE BLINGS!

June 2, 2009

Sorry, No Videos Today

For complete details and captures of the day, go to: http://z7.invisionfree.com/CHIL_EagleCAM/i...?showtopic=4063
Offline Profile Goto Top

jeannec
Member Avatar
Advanced Member

June 2, 2009

Some wingercizes, then a little attitude between the two

Looking out to the water
Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Naturegal
Member Avatar
Advanced Member

June 2nd, 2009

Both eaglets just hanging out on the nest...........

Adult lands on rock and both eaglets looking at parent.........

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATE ON K-96 & K-94

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 10, 2009 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking the Twin Rocks chicks and they are both doing great, exercising and getting ready to fledge.

Video by eaglegal * TR Chicks After Banding June 2009

* The video starts with the TR chicks/nest .. then switches to the WE Chicks/nest for a few minutes .. then returns to TR
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
K-96 & K-94 ARE BOYS!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 :clk:

Steffani: We have all the blood results back and it turns out we got them all right except for two. We banded K-96 at TR as a Female ... and HE is a Male .. as is his brother K-94.

...........Posted Image
TR Adults on the ridge above the nest

Video by eaglegal: TR Nest: June 11/09
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
K-96 & K-94 KEEP PRACTICING!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 24, 2009 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking nests and fledglings regularly and they are all doing well.

K96 and K94, the Twin Rocks eaglets keep exercising their wings and getting ready to take their first “steps” into the world. I hope I’m there to witness it and get some video of it.

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
K-96 & K-94 HAVE SUCCESSFULLY FLEDGED!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 :clk:

Steffani: What a week we’ve had on Catalina! Almost every eaglet on the island has fledged.
I have been visiting all nest areas every couple of days trying to get visuals on the young eagles. That is easier said than done! None of them have left their nest areas yet but even while they remain in their territory, it is a challenge finding them, especially when the weather doesn’t cooperate.

I have checked the Twin Rocks eaglets several times this week only able to spot one eaglet at the time. Unfortunately, the observation location on land is too far away to read their wing markers and the water has been to rough to take the kayaks out, so it wasn’t until yesterday that I watched both juveniles flying at the same time and thus able to confirm that both have fledged!

I took a video of one of the flying but I’m having problems with the camera right now so I’ll try to work on those videos for next update.

Video by eaglegal: TR Fledglings

...............Posted Image.............................Posted Image..........................................Posted Image
Taking off from the TR cam trans' tower..............Perched on another location..............................Flying down closer to the parent.

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)
(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
K-94 & K-96 GO EXPLORING!

:clk: Wednesday, July 8, 2009 :clk:

Steffani: All of the Catalina eaglets have fledged but none have left their nest areas so it is still relatively easy to get visuals and definitely “live” signals.

Video by eaglegal:
TR K-96 & K-94

(Pictures/Videos courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
EAGLETS SOARING!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 :clk:

Steffani: I am glad to report that all eight Catalina eaglets have been soaring the skies of their territories and the older ones are already starting to wander out a bit farther each day.

I have been checking each nest every couple of days and trying to get al least one visual per week. It is still relatively easy to do so since they continue to come back to the actual nest for feedings but pretty soon, they will all leave the coasts of their nest area and will move into the interior of the island looking for something to scavenge on.

Last Thursday I went out with one of the coastal rangers, Randy Lewis, on a boat survey of the channel side of the island. He took off from Avalon and went all the way to Rippers cove, which is pretty close to Isthmus Harbor.

Once we arrived at the Twin Rocks (TR) area we quickly spotted one of the juveniles who turned out to be K96.

Video by eaglegal: July 9/09: TR. K-96 - Flying over the boat

I was hoping to see both of them but it is really hard to look for a perched juvenile from a moving boat. His signal was good so we decided to keep going.
On the way back we stopped at TR again but no luck finding K94. I’m heading out there today and hopefully get some visuals again.

Posted Image..................... Posted Image
...............................................Can you find the TR nest on this picture?

(Pictures/video courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)
(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Class of 2009 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic