Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Pinnacle Rock Eagle's Nest 2009/2010; Nestorations to Fledging
Topic Started: Mar 1 2010, 09:58 AM (2,804 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Posted Image

As you know All Eagles All The Time 2009/2010 is an Archival/History in Videos and Still captures showing the various stages throughout the year in the lives of the Eagles on the EagleCams at Pelican Harbor (PH) Nest ... on Santa Cruz Island and Two Harbors (TH) Nest & West End (WE) Nest ... on Santa Catalina Island.

The other confirmed nests on Catalina Island are at Pinnacle Rock (PR) ... Rattlesnake Canyon (RS) ... Seal Rocks (SR) and Twin Rocks (TR)

Middle Ranch (MR) .. is not yet a confirmed nest ... and it also looks like there is a new female there to.

You can find out who is who at each nest by visiting the
Meet The Adult Pairs thread.

Because we still want to follow the events happening on these nests without cameras .. separate threads will be opened for each nest .. and I will be posting the links to the Catalina Updates, written by Dr. Peter Sharpe and Steffani Jijon ... along with the photos taken by Steffani ... so that members can easily access the current information.

This is the thread for Pinnacle Rock (PR).

Eagles Territories map taken from the Bald Eagle Restoration on the California Channel Islands. January - December 2009 8th Annual Report.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
PR - Pinnacle Rock Nest - Santa Catalina Island.

K-65/male & K-56/female

Posted Image

(Click on thumbnail to see full size)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATES RE K-65 & K-56

:clk: Wednesday, December 23, 2009 :clk:

Steff:This week we continued to check on the existing pairs and looking for new birds in the south side.

Last week I went to check on the Pinnacle Rock eagles. In the morning I spotted an adult but it was too far for me to read its tag.

Posted Image

I was trying to keep my eye on this eagle when the PR male showed up and landed on his nest and started doing some restorations. Heís missing his right wing marker so itís easy to tell him and his mate apart.

I left the area and K65 was still perching on his nest. This is great news; it seems like at least he is planning on using this nest next season.

Posted Image....... Posted Image.......Posted Image

I made a short video of K65 doing some restorations on his nest. I think he spotted me too because he stopped moving sticks and kept looking my way.

Video by Steffani: Pinnacle Rock Nest: K65

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)

(Click on thumbnails to see full size)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
JANUARY UPDATE

:clk: January 14-19, 2010 :clk:

Steph: I headed to Salta Verde on the southern part of the island.

An eagle flew over me along the beach and headed east and disappeared out of sight. I decided to move to a new observation spot near the beach and cliffs and was surprised by an adult bald eagle perched nearby. Of course it took off because I'm sure it was surprised by me as well.

Shortly after it flew off, I heard lots of eagle vocalizations and found the adult eagle chasing off a 3-4 year old bald eagle. The adult perched nearby and I was able to confirm the tag number as K-56. The eagle flew off to perch with another adult on a nearby ridge, but I couldn't read the tags, so I'm assuming it was its mate.

Posted Image
K-56 perched on the cliff edge ... zoomed in

I headed out to observe the Seal Rocks nest to see if there was any eagle activity there. Upon arrival, I saw both adults flying around together.

At the same time, just over a ridge to the west, I saw two other adult eagles flying above the ridge. I'm assuming these were the Pinnacle Rock adults.

So we know that these two pairs have returned to maintaining their territories, but we would really like to see them working on their nests so we know where they'll be laying their eggs this year.

(Picture courtesy of Stephanie)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
FEBRUARY UPDATES

:clk: February 3, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I have been gone for most of the week but since Iíve been back I have visited the Seal Rocks and the Pinnacle Rock nests. Unfortunately, there were no eagle sightings while I was there but I will be back in a few days.

When I got to the PR observation spot I found the blind and the whole structure blown away.

Posted Image....... Posted Image

:clk: February 17, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: We are starting to observe a lot of nesting activity in pretty much all of the Catalina nests.

One of the adults arrived on the nest and worked on it.

(Pictures courtesy of Steffani )

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
EGG .. CITING NEWS!

:clk: February 24, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: On Friday, February 19th, I visited the Pinnacle Rock nest (PR) and I found the female sitting in her nest bowl in the incubating position.

I was there for over an hour and she did not get up the whole time, so I assume she has an egg. Pete went out on the next day and was able to confirm an egg on that nest.

Yesterday, I visited the PR nests and they now have 2 eggs.

Video by Steffani: Seal Rocks and Pinnacle Rock Nests. Feb. 23rd, 2010

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MARCH UPDATES

:clk: March 4, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Five of the seven Catalina nests have currently 2 eggs each.

That is two for Seal Rocks (SR), Pinnacle Rock (PR), Two Harbors (TH), Twin Rocks (TR) and Rattlesnake (RS).

The PR nest on Monday
Posted Image

:clk: March 11, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I checked on PR a few days ago but because it has been so windy, the adults did not make a switch for over two hours so I had to leave the site right around sunset.

The female was incubating at the time and she did roll the eggs a couple of times but never completely stepped out of the grass bowl so I didnít get to see the eggs. Thereíre probably still two eggs but Iíll go back tomorrow and check after I visit TR.

Posted Image.......Posted Image

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
SAD NEWS ~ ONE EGG LOST.

:clk: March 17, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking on all the Catalina nests at least twice at week. Pinnacle Rock (PR), Seal Rocks (SR), Twin Rocks (TR), Rattlesnake (RS), Two Harbors (TH), West End (WE) and Middle Ranch (MR).

Both SR and PR nests have lost an egg each in the last few days. I checked them last on Monday.

Posted Image

Video by Steffani: Pinnacle Rock Nest. March 15, 2010

:clk: March 24, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I visited the PR nest today, which also has just one egg left.

I watched the female incubate until she started to look between her feet as if she had heard/felt something underneath her. It is a bit too early for the chick to be hatching, even if it is the first one laid, but the chick could be making noises inside the egg. Itís all very exciting!

(Picture courtesy of Steffani )

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
CONGRATULATIONS K-65 & K-56 - A NEW CHICK!

:clk: March 31, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: On Monday I also checked on the Pinnacle Rock (PR) nest. Their first egg was due to hatch by the end of last week. Because it didnít, we assumed that must have been the one that broke so we were hoping the second egg would hatch just a couple of days later.

It got late and I hadnít seen anything conclusive yet so I left the area.

Posted Image..........Posted Image..........Posted Image

On Tuesday morning I checked on this nest and after a while of watching the adult incubate I was able to see that there was nothing white underneath so I stayed a little longer until I saw the newly hatched chick!

Posted Image

:clk: April 7, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking on the Pinnacle Rock (PR) nest a couple of times a week and the chick is doing just fine!

When I got to the PR observation point I found both parents feeding their chick. It was really nice to watch them work together.

I like this nest because itís very isolated and far away from people (including us) and has the largest flat surface area of all Catalina nests, the parents have to take several steps to reach an edge, I stayed and watched the whole feeding.

Posted Image

Video by Steffani: Pinnacle Rock Nest. April 2, 2010

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
CHICK IS GROWING FAST!

:clk: April 14, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking all the nests twice a week and Iím delighted to report that everyone is doing just fine.

The Pinnacle Rock (PR) nest.

Posted Image

Video by Steffani: Pinnacle Rock Nest. April 9, 2010

:clk: April 21, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: The Seal Rocks (SR) and the Pinnacle Rock (PR) chicks are doing great. I usually check these two nests on the same day, twice a week.

Posted Image

:clk: April 28, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Pete has been checking on the nests and all the Catalina chicks are doing great!

A quick review: Seal Rocks - 1 chick .. Pinnacle Rock - 1 chick .. Rattlesnake - 2 chicks
Two Harbors - 2 chicks .. West End - 2 chicks .. Middle Ranch - Still incubating (hopefully 2 eggs)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MAY UPDATE

:clk: May 6, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I checked all the other nests and all the chicks are doing just fine.

Posted Image
The Pinnacle Rock chick

:clk: May 13, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I checked on Pinnacle and Seal Rocks nests and both chicks are doing just fine thankfully.

Posted Image

Video by Steffani: Pinnacle Rock Nest. May 9, 2010

:clk: May 19, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Last week I visited SR and PR nests and all the chicks are doing fine.

It was kind of foggy that day so I waited until it cleared up a bit to make sure the chicks were moving around on their nests.

PR nest really foggy........................PR chick

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MEET .. K-95 ~ PINNACLE ROCK EAGLET!

Hatch Date ................ Wingbling Number .................... Fledge Date
March 30/10 ........................ K-95 (F)................................ July 6/10 .. confirmed sighting.

Posted Image
..................................... Soon to be K95, banded as a female

They got it right!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 :clk:

Banding Day at PR Nest: Saturday, May 29th, 2010
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATE ON K-95

:clk: June 11, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I havenít been able to see the Pinnacle Rock chick on the previous times Iíve been there because of all the fog but I just got back from the PR site and I finally got to see the chick moving around. Iím glad the weather and visibility were much better today.

Posted Image

Video by Steffani: Pinnacle Rock Nest. June 11th, 2010

:clk: June 16, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Iíve been checking on the nests once or twice a week making sure everything is going well. Iíve spent some time at the nest observing their behavior, watching them exercise their wings and growing muscle, strength and courage to take that first leap!

That time is coming up really soon and Iím very excited to catch them taking their ďfirst stepsĒ in the wild.

Iím sure many of you have been following and watching the same kind of behavior on the web cams. Seal Rocks (SR) and Two Harbors (TH) chicks are the oldest on Catalina so they should begin fledging in the next week or so.

Posted Image
PR chick, K95

Video by Steffani: Pinnacle Rock Nest. June 11th, 2010

NB. This is the same video as on last week's Update ... re-edited

:clk: June 23, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Iíve checked on the Pinnacle Rock (PR) chick a couple of times this week too.
K95 has reached fledging age but we havenít seen any indication that she is ready to fly out of the nest yet.

Normally weíd see a lot of flapping and hovering over the nest but this chick seems to be taking her time.

.........................Posted Image

.........................Posted Image
The nest seen from my observation spot, getting foggy and windy.

NB. The video that Steffani posted on this Update is the same one as on last week's Update.

:clk: June 30, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: This week I've had a hard time getting visuals on the birds and it's all because of the June gloom.

I checked on K95, the PR chick, on Sunday as well. I hiked down to the observation area and this is what I saw.

Posted Image

After almost two hours the wind cleared out the fog just enough for me to see a big black dot on the nest so I decided to hike out and come back another day.

I went back there this morning but this was my view as I started hiking down, it didn't look very promising but I was hopeful

Posted Image

Posted Image
Church Rock seen from the place where the SR and PR territories meet.

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
K-95 ~ HAS SHE FLEDGED YET?

:clk: July 7, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I'm a little confused about what month of year we're on because we have been experiencing some very unusual weather around here.

It has been extremely foggy for the last week or so and even rainy. I have been checking on all the nests regularly but I haven't been able to see much. All of their radio signals are normal but I've only had a few visuals.

While K05/SR has been fledged for quite awhile, the PR chick, K95 hasn't. Or at least I have not being able to confirm it because every time I check on her she's always perched on the nest not doing much.

Posted Image

Usually, at this point I would find the chick/s wondering around their 'backyard' taking tiny flights here and there but I never got to see K95 do that.

Yesterday we finally had a semi-clear day so I went out looking for everybody.
I hiked out to the PR observation point and found an empty nest for the very first time. Now, I had to find her to make sure she was alright.

........................................................... PR Adult

YES SHE HAS!

After a couple of hours, K95 flew in from the west and went under these rocks in direction towards the nest. It was a victories sighting!

Posted Image

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
K-95 IS SOARING!

:clk: July 14, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Summer has finally arrived! No marine layer yesterday or today so we are finally enjoying this sunny weather and hope that it sticks around, it certainly makes it easier for us to find the eagles. Once the temperature rises even higher itíll be difficult to pin point the birds because of the heat waves but that's all part of the joy of working in the field!

On Friday, Pete and I checked on all the young eagles separately; he went west to check TH and WE and I went east to check SR and PR.

It was still foggy so again, I waited.

Posted Image

The signal was coming from the beach where her parents spend most of their time. I spotted one of the parents before I caught a glance of the chick flying towards the nest. You can't see it yet.

Posted Image

Now you can!

Posted Image

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Class of 2010 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic