Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Seal Rocks Eagle's Nest 2009/2010; Nestorations to Fledging
Topic Started: Mar 1 2010, 07:39 PM (2,160 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Posted Image

As you know All Eagles All The Time 2009/2010 is an Archival/History in Videos and Still captures showing the various stages throughout the year in the lives of the Eagles on the EagleCams at Pelican Harbor (PH) Nest ... on Santa Cruz Island and Two Harbors (TH) Nest & West End (WE) Nest ... on Santa Catalina Island.

The other confirmed nests on Catalina Island are at Pinnacle Rock (PR) ... Rattlesnake Canyon (RS) ... Seal Rocks (SR) and Twin Rocks (TR)

Middle Ranch (MR) .. is not yet a confirmed nest ... and it also looks like there is a new female there to.

You can find out who is who at each nest by visiting the
Meet The Adult Pairs thread.

Because we still want to follow the events happening on these nests without cameras .. separate threads will be opened for each nest .. and I will be posting the links to the Catalina Updates, written by Dr. Peter Sharpe and Steffani Jijon ... along with the photos taken by Steffani ... so that members can easily access the current information.

This is the thread for Seal Rocks (SR).

Eagles Territories map taken from the Bald Eagle Restoration on the California Channel Islands. January - December 2009 8th Annual Report.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
SR - Seal Rocks Nest - Santa Catalina Island.

K-25/male & K-34/female

Posted Image

[Click on thumbnail to see full size)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATES RE K-25 & K-34

:clk: December 17, 2009 :clk:

Steffani: This week, Pete went to Santa Cruz and I have been focusing on checking the exciting pairs and making sure they are still paired up and still ďplanningĒ on breeding next year.

I spend some time observing the Seal Rocks area. For the longest time I didnít find any eagles, though the silly seals and sea lions kept me entertained. In the afternoon, one of the eagles finally decided to make an appearance. I wasnít able to read the tags but it was missing its left one so it had to be K34. After another hour or so K25 perched close to K34.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image

Video by Steffani: Seal Rocks Pair. Dec.15th, 2009

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)

(Click on thumbnails to see full size)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
JANUARY UPDATES

:clk: January 13, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I spent all Saturday watching for the Seal Rocks birds and see if they have done anything to their nest. It looks pretty neat and maintained so maybe they will be using this nest again.

Posted Image.......... Posted Image ..........Posted Image .................Posted Image
.............................................................................................Pete build us a very cool-looking blind.................... My Office

:clk: January 14-19, 2010 :clk:

Steph: I headed out to observe the Seal Rocks nest to see if there was any eagle activity there. Upon arrival, I saw both adults flying around together.

At the same time, just over a ridge to the west, I saw two other adult eagles flying above the ridge. I'm assuming these were the Pinnacle Rock adults.

So we know that these two pairs have returned to maintaining their territories, but we would really like to see them working on their nests so we know where they'll be laying their eggs this year.

(Pictures courtesy of Steffani and Stephanie)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
FEBRUARY UPDATES

:clk: February 3, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I have been gone for most of the week but since Iíve been back I have visited the Seal Rocks and the Pinnacle Rock nests. Unfortunately, there were no eagle sightings while I was there but I will be back in a few days. Hereís what the SR nest looks like.

Posted Image

:clk: February 17, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: We are starting to observe a lot of nesting activity in pretty much all of the Catalina nests.

This week I visited the SR nest. They are definitely going to be using last years nest as it now has more nesting material including a nest bowl.

When I got to the area, one of the adults was just leaving the nest but it returned after a few minutes. After a while longer, I spotted the other adult perching at the point.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image
.... SR Nest..................................... K-34..................................Female and nest............................... K-25

(Pictures courtesy of Steffani)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
EGG .. CITING NEWS!

:clk: February 24, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Last Wednesday the Two Harbors nest (TH) female and the Seal Rocks nest (SR) female, laid the first eggs of the season.

We are not exactly sure when the SR egg was laid so we can't confirm which came first but they cannot be more than a day apart with the TH egg.

On February 20th, Pete checked on the SR nest and they now have 2 eggs.

Posted Image
Hereís K-34 on her nest.

Video by Steffani: Seal Rocks and Pinnacle Rock Nests. Feb. 23rd, 2010

(Pictures courtesy of Steffani )

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MARCH UPDATES

:clk: March 4, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Five of the seven Catalina nests have currently 2 eggs each.

That is two for Seal Rocks (SR), Pinnacle Rock (PR), Two Harbors (TH), Twin Rocks (TR) and Rattlesnake (RS).

This is the SR nest on Monday
Posted Image

Video by Steffani: Seal Rocks Nest. March 1st. 2010

:clk: March 11, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Pete checked SR during the weekend and I checked them this morning and they still have their two eggs.

Posted Image

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
SAD NEWS ~ ONE EGG LOST.

:clk: March 17, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking on all the Catalina nests at least twice at week. Pinnacle Rock (PR), Seal Rocks (SR), Twin Rocks (TR), Rattlesnake (RS), Two Harbors (TH), West End (WE) and Middle Ranch (MR).

Both SR and PR nests have lost an egg each in the last few days. I checked them last on Monday.

Posted Image

Video by Steffani: Seal Rocks Nest. March 11-16, 2010

:clk: March 24, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: This morning I checked the SR nest and I didnít observe any signs that would suggest that the egg is about to hatch.

This pair lost one of their eggs a couple of weeks ago and thereís no way to determine which egg broke. If the egg is viable, it could take a few more days before it hatches, taking into account that the first egg that was laid might be the one that broke. Weíll keep checking.

Pete checked the SR nest a couple of days ago and hereís a short video of a switch.

Video by Dr Sharpe: Incubation switch at Seal Rocks on 3/22/10.

(Picture courtesy of Steffani )

(Click on thumbnail to see full size)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
CONGRATULATIONS! FIRST CATALINA CHICK OF 2010.

:clk: March 31, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking the nests regularly as many of the eggs were due to hatch this past week.

On Wednesday I checked on the Seal Rocks (SR) nest and they were still incubating one egg but no signs of it hatching yet.
On Friday, Pete checked on them and found the very first Catalina chick of the 2010 breeding season being cared for by its parents, K25 and K34.

Pete checked on them again on Sunday and I checked them on Monday. I made a video of the SR family, including a feeding on Monday afternoon.

Video by Steffani: Seal Rocks Nest March 24 - 30th, 2010

:clk: April 7, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking on the Seal Rocks (SR) nest a couple of times a week and the chick is doing just fine!

Posted Image..........Posted Image..........Posted Image

For complete updates, pictures and videos, click on the dates
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
CHICK IS GROWING FAST!

:clk: April 14, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking all the nests twice a week and Iím delighted to report that everyone is doing just fine.

Hereís the Seal Rocks (SR) nest.

Posted Image..........Posted Image

Video by Steffani: Seal Rocks Nest. April 9, 2010 ~ SR Family

:clk: April 21, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: The Seal Rocks (SR) and the Pinnacle Rocks (PR) chicks are doing great. I usually check these two nests on the same day, twice a week.

Video by Steffani Seal Rocks Nest. April 15 -20

:clk: April 28, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Pete has been checking on the nests and all the Catalina chicks are doing great!

A quick review: Seal Rocks - 1 chick .. Pinnacle Rock - 1 chick .. Rattlesnake - 2 chicks
Two Harbors - 2 chicks .. West End - 2 chicks .. Middle Ranch - Still incubating (hopefully 2 eggs)

For complete updates, pictures and videos, click on the dates

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MAY UPDATES

:clk: May 6, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I checked all the other nests and all the chicks are doing just fine.

Hereís the Seal Rocks nest a couple of days ago.

Posted Image

Video by Steffani: Seal Rocks Nest. May 4th, 2010

:clk: May 13, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I checked on Pinnacle and Seal Rocks nests and both chicks are doing just fine thankfully.

Posted Image.......Posted Image
................................. SR Chick

Video by Steffani: Seal Rocks Chick. May 10, 2010

:clk: May 19, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Last week I visited SR and PR nests and all the chicks are doing fine.

It was kind of foggy that day so I waited until it cleared up a bit to make sure the chicks were moving around on their nests.

Posted Image

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MEET .. K-05 ~ SEAL ROCKS EAGLET!

Hatch Date ............. Wingbling Number .......................... Fledge Date
March 26/10 ...................... K-05(F).............. Between Monday evening, June 14/10 & Friday morning, June 18/10.

Posted Image
.......................................... Banded on May 21, 2010

This is before banding
Posted Image

K-05 ... was banded as a female ... but the blood work will confirm this.
Confirmed ... June 4/10

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 26, 2010 :clk:

Banding Day at SR Nest: Friday, May 21st, 2010

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 14, 2010

New Banding Day video included on this update
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATES ON K-05

:clk: June 2, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I checked on the SR chick and made a short video.

Video by Steffani: K-05. Seal Rocks Nest. May 30th, 2010

:clk: June 11, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I checked on the nests twice this week and hereís Seal Rocks (SR).

Posted Image.......Posted Image
The female arrived with a large fish for her daughter K05

Video by Steffani: Seal Rocks Nest. June 4th & 8th, 2010

:clk: June 16, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Iíve been checking on the nests once or twice a week making sure everything is going well. Iíve spent some time at the nest observing their behavior, watching them exercise their wings and growing muscle, strength and courage to take that first leap!

That time is coming up really soon and Iím very excited to catch them taking their ďfirst stepsĒ in the wild.

Iím sure many of you have been following and watching the same kind of behavior on the web cams. Seal Rocks (SR) and Two Harbors (TH) chicks are the oldest on Catalina so they should begin fledging in the next week or so.

Posted Image....Posted Image
............................. SR chick K-05

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
K-05 ~ HAS FLEDGED!

:clk: June 23, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Last week, I went to check on K05, the Seal Rocks (SR) chick, and I found an empty nest; well, except for a cute little squirrel that was very busy cleaning up after the birds.

I looked around and I found one of the adults perched near the nest. Eventually, I found the second adult and K05, both feeding on a huge fish head. Then K05 gave up on trying to eat the fish head and moved on to what it looked like a piece of seal skin.

Posted Image.....Posted Image

I made a short video to try to show you how far away from the nest this eaglet was perched on. The spot is higher on the hillside than her nest is so while I havenít actually seen her fly, flying is the only way she could have gotten there.

Video by Steffani: Seal Rocks Chick. K05. June 18th & 21st, 2010

Because they could get in trouble on the days right after fledging as they learn how to maneuver, land, etc., we check up on them several times a week.

I went out to SR on Monday hoping to see some flying but all I heard was some winning coming from the chick somewhere down the canyon below me and both parents flying overhead trying to chase me out of their territory.

I went back yesterday and took a different approach, the parents didnít see me and I didnít get to see chick either, so nobody won.

...........................Posted Image
This is the SR canyon; the chick is somewhere in there.

:clk: June 30, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: This week I've had a hard time getting visuals on the birds and it's all because of the June gloom.

I went out on Sunday looking for the SR chick, K05 and even though I wasn't able to see anything I did get a good signal from a canyon west from the SR nest.

Posted Image

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
CHECKING ON THE FLEDGLING!

:clk: July 7, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I'm a little confused about what month of year we're on because we have been experiencing some very unusual weather around here.

It has been extremely foggy for the last week or so and even rainy. I have been checking on all the nests regularly but I haven't been able to see much. All of their radio signals are normal but I've only had a few visuals.

I have been looking for the SR chick for days, and while the signal keeps coming from a different place every time suggesting that the chick is moving from canyon to canyon, I still need to see her fly!

She doesnít make it easy. These are some of the viewing points I search from.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image
............................................................................................ K-05's noisy neighbors!

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date
Offline Profile Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Class of 2010 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic