Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Rattlesnake Canyon Eagle's Nest 2009/2010; Nestorations to Fledging
Topic Started: Mar 3 2010, 09:24 AM (4,230 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Posted Image

As you know All Eagles All The Time 2009/2010 is an Archival/History in Videos and Still captures showing the various stages throughout the year in the lives of the Eagles on the EagleCams at Pelican Harbor (PH) Nest ... on Santa Cruz Island and Two Harbors (TH) Nest & West End (WE) Nest ... on Santa Catalina Island.

The other confirmed nests on Catalina Island are at Pinnacle Rock (PR) ... Rattlesnake Canyon (RC) ... Seal Rocks (SR) and Twin Rocks (TR)

Middle Ranch (MR) .. is not yet a confirmed nest ... and it also looks like there is a new female there to.

You can find out who is who at each nest by visiting the
Meet The Adult Pairs thread.

Because we still want to follow the events happening on these nests without cameras .. separate threads will be opened for each nest .. and I will be posting the links to the Catalina Updates, written by Dr. Peter Sharpe and Steffani Jijon ... along with the photos taken by Steffani ... so that members can easily access the current information.

This is the thread for Rattlesnake Canyon (RC).

Eagles Territories map taken from the Bald Eagle Restoration on the California Channel Islands. January - December 2009 8th Annual Report.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
RC - Rattlesnake Canyon Nest - Santa Catalina Island.

K-80/male & K-47/female

Posted Image
Rattlesnake Canyon

(Click on thumbnail to see full size)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATES RE K-80 & K-47

:clk: December 17,2009 :clk:

Steffani: This week, Pete went to Santa Cruz and I have been focusing on checking the exciting pairs and making sure they are still paired up and still “planning” on breeding next year.

On December 15th, I was on my way to the gas station when I spotted both of the Rattlesnake birds flying together, one right after the other one, right over town.

There are two pairs that tend to come near town; the Rattlesnake (RS) and the Seal Rocks (SR) pair. They flew too fast to read their tags but I did notice that they both carried all their wing makers so it had to have been the RS since the other birds are both missing a tag each.

:clk: December 30, 2009 :clk:

Steffani: After a few hours of sitting there .. at Twin Rocks .. looking thru the scope I got up to stretch and when I looked up, two eagles were soaring right over me!

It must have been the Rattlesnake pair because they kept going up and eventually headed east, never entering TR territory. I made a short video of them.

Video by Steffani:
Eagles Soaring. Tuesday 12/29/09

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
JANUARY UPDATE

:clk: January 13, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I checked both Rattlesnake nests.

This is the 2009 nest above the road to CIMI in Toyon canyon. It doesn’t look like they have done anything to it.

....... Posted Image

Then I stopped at the other nest on Gallagers and it looks a bit neater. It’d be nice if they moved back here since we have a camera there.

.......Posted Image

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)

(Click on thumbnails to see full size)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
FEBRUARY UPDATE

:clk: February 17, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: We are starting to observe a lot of nesting activity in pretty much all of the Catalina nests.

Pete has checked RC twice this week and the first time he spotted the female, K47, perched on their previous nest on Gallagher’s Canyon.

This pair used this particular nest back in 2008 and she had laid egg/s twice that season but they lost them rather quickly.

Last year, they moved their nest to Toyon Canyon but quickly failed after egg-laying time.

We’re hoping this will be the year they finally reproduce.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
EGG .. CITING NEWS!

:clk: February 24, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I’m quite excited to report that the Rattlesnake pair (RC) also laid an egg on Saturday. ( February 20th)

They decided to use the 2008 nest that sits up high on an island oak (Quercus tomentella) in Gallagher’s canyon.

Posted Image........Posted Image........ Posted Image

This week I will try to get a little closer so that I can see into the nest bowl so we know how many eggs they have.

So far I have only seen the female, K47, incubate. We think that because of the lack of incubation on the part of her mate, K80, this pair has failed for the last two years.

We’re hoping that this year they finally manage to hatch chicks. Keep your fingers crossed for this pair; they’re still new at this.

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MARCH UPDATES

:clk: March 4, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Five of the seven Catalina nests have currently 2 eggs each.

That is two for Seal Rocks (SR), Pinnacle Rock (PR), Two Harbors (TH), Twin Rocks (TR) and Rattlesnake (RC).

While I am happy about all of them having eggs, I am particularly excited about the latter pair since for the past couple of years they have lost their eggs around their first week and have failed.

This season I’ve noticed the male, K80, incubate just as much as the female, K47, so assuming the eggs are fertile, we expect chicks from this pair!

The RC nest, K47 incubating. I circled where Pete had placed a camera a couple of years ago. We are not sure that it works still but we’ll check on it this week.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image.......................Posted Image
.....................................................Farther away.......................Clearly 2 eggs at RC!............ I circled the RC nest area on this aerial image.

Video by Steffani: Rattlesnake Nest. March 1st, 2010

:clk: March 11, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Last week Pete checked on the RC nest and also worked on the camera we had placed on that nest two years ago. Fortunately, it still works but we need to work on it and hike out a lot more equipment to the site.

He recorded a video and was able to see the two eggs in their nest bowl.

I just got back from the RC observation spot and I found the female incubating.

Video by Dr Sharpe/Pete: Rattlesnake Nest. March 5, 2010

(Pictures courtesy of Steffani )

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MARCH UPDATES CONTINUED.

:clk: March 17, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking on all the Catalina nests at least twice at week. Pinnacle Rock (PR), Seal Rocks (SR), Twin Rocks (TR), Rattlesnake (RC), Two Harbors (TH), West End (WE) and Middle Ranch (MR).

The RC nest is still doing well and still has two eggs.

:clk: March 24, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: The Rattlesnake (RC) pair still has their two eggs and we continue to check them several times a week.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
RED LETTER DAY: CONGRATULATIONS K-47 & K-80 ON YOUR FIRST CHICK!

:clk: March 31, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Monday was the day when the Rattlesnake (RC) pair hatched their very first chick ever!

Parents, K47 and K80, were finally successful after three years of failed attempts.

Posted Image

Pete has been checking on this nest daily. Yesterday he went to the RS cam tower and recorded a great video of the RC adult, the egg and the chick.

Video by Dr. Sharpe:
Rattlesnake Nest. March 30,2010

Pete just returned from this area a few minutes ago and no second chick yet but if it’s going to hatch it will be really soon so we’ll keep checking.

(Picture courtesy of Steffani )

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
SECOND CHICK HATCHES.

:clk: April 7, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: On Thursday, I went to the Rattlesnake (RC) observation area hoping to see two chicks on the nest. Sure enough, I saw two little moving fuzz balls getting fed by mom.

I made a short video of the feeding but because I was watching them from so far away and thru so many braches, it was hard to get a good video without having to go to the actual camera feed.

Video by Steffani: Second Rattlesnake Nest Chick Hatches April 1, 2010

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
TWINS DOING WELL

:clk: April 14, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking all the nests twice a week and I’m delighted to report that everyone is doing just fine.

I checked the Rattlesnake (RC) nest on Friday and again today. I watched the female feed her two chicks but it was getting dark so the picture didn’t come out so well.

Posted Image

:clk: April 21, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: The Rattlesnake (RC) chicks are doing just fine. I took a picture and made a short video, hopefully you can spot the two–not so little anymore-chicks.

Posted Image

Video by Steffani: Rattlesnake Nest. April 15th, 2010

:clk: April 28, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Pete has been checking on the nests and all the Catalina chicks are doing great!

A quick review: Seal Rocks - 1 chick .. Pinnacle Rock - 1 chick .. Rattlesnake - 2 chicks
Two Harbors - 2 chicks .. West End - 2 chicks .. Middle Ranch - Still incubating (hopefully 2 eggs)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MAY UPDATE

:clk: May 6, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I checked all the other nests and all the chicks are doing just fine.

.......Posted Image
Rattlesnake male perching on branch

:clk: May 13, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: We’ve had another week of watching chicks grow on their nests and being cared by their dedicated parents.

On Monday, I went to check on the Rattlesnake nest and as soon as the adult left the nest I got really worried because I could only see one of the chicks left on the nest. (My initial reaction was enhanced by the fact that a few days prior to that day I dreamed that a red-tailed hawk had taken one of the chicks off the nest so I said to myself, this is no time for my dreams to start coming true…)

Anyways, I called Pete to let him know I couldn’t see the second chick so moments later, he brought the monitor and hiked down to the RC tower where we have the cable feed and was able to get a better view of the nest.

There were two chicks on the nest; however, one of them looks about a week and a half behind in development compared to its sibling. There must have been some serious order pecking in the first few weeks but there’s no rivalry anymore, we might have to make some adjustments when we go band these chicks as the second chick won’t be full-grown but other than that it’s all good!

NB: Taken from IWS Facebook .. Peter: A bit of a scare today, as Steffani couldn't see two chicks in the Rattlesnake nest on Catalina this morning. I hiked down to where I can hook into the camera and saw both chicks, but one is way behind in development. However it was getting fed well today, looked healthy, and there was no sibling rivalry.

Video by Steffani: Rattlesnake Nest. May 10, 2010

:clk: May 19, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Over the weekend, I also visited the RC nest and I was happy to see both chicks moving around the nest as well as the parents perching near by.

Video by Steffani: Rattlesnake Nest. May 15th, 2010

(Picture courtesy of Steffani )

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
K-09 & K-96

Hatch Date .......................................... Wingbling Number .................... Fledge Date
March 28/10 and April 1/10 .................... K-09 (F) & K-96 (M)..............

Posted Image
K-96 and K-09, the Rattlesnake chicks. Banding Day May 28, 2010.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 2, 2010 :clk:

Banding Day at RC Nest: Friday, May 28th, 2010
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATE ON K-09 & K-96.

:clk: June 11, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I checked on the nests twice this week. Checking on the Rattlesnake chicks

Posted Image.......Posted Image
...................Hard to see but they were moving

:clk: June 16, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I’ve been checking on the nests once or twice a week making sure everything is going well. I’ve spent some time at the nest observing their behavior, watching them exercise their wings and growing muscle, strength and courage to take that first leap!

That time is coming up really soon and I’m very excited to catch them taking their “first steps” in the wild.

I’m sure many of you have been following and watching the same kind of behavior on the web cams. Seal Rocks (SR) and Two Harbors (TH) chicks are the oldest on Catalina so they should begin fledging in the next week or so.

Checking on the RC chicks. Can you see them?

Posted Image.......Posted Image
...........K96 on the left and K09 on the right

:clk: June 23, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I’ve checked on the Rattlesnake (RC) nest a couple of times and here’s a picture of both chicks.

The youngest one, K96 is on the left, the oldest, K09 is on the right.

.........................Posted Image

.........................Posted Image
One of the parents was roosting on the snag that’s right by the nest.

I made a short video of the RC chicks.

Video by Steffani:
Rattlesnake Chicks: K-09 and K-96. June 19th, 2010

:clk: June 30, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: This week I've had a hard time getting visuals on the birds and it's all because of the June gloom.

I've checked on the Rattlesnake chicks twice this week but although I get good signals, I haven't been able to seen them lately.

I tried to get some video by plugging in our monitor but there seems to be something wrong with it because I wasn't able to get a picture. I did take a picture thru the scope but it was in the middle of the day so the heat waves made it really difficult.

The RC chicks. It is hard to see but the oldest chick is perched on the right and the youngest on the lower left.

Posted Image

I went there yesterday afternoon and this is what I saw.

Posted Image

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
SAD, SAD NEWS!

:clk: July 7, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: (sigh…) I was hoping to write a happy update, unfortunately, after feeding the birds this morning, I went to check on the Rattlesnake chicks.

As soon as I got in the area I started getting mortality signals on both of their radios. I called Pete and he and a volunteer hiked to the site and we ended up finding both of the birds under some bushes, dead.

It is unusual to have two fledglings died so soon and so close to the nest site. The bodies will probably be shipped off to try to determine a cause of dead but regardless of the result; this is a very sad day.

I believe most people have become attached to the chicks they are able to watch on the cams, we on the other hand, and having to hike out with a dead bird in our packs is a huge low. We took pictures of where they were found but I'll spare you and not post them.

K-96 & K-09's entry in the Eagles Over The Rainbow Bridge thread

.................................... :candle: :^^^: <:3 R.I.P. :candle: :^^^: <:3
Offline Profile Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Class of 2010 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic