Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Twin Rocks Eagle's Nest 2009/2010; Sad News ~ Nest Failed.
Topic Started: Mar 4 2010, 12:08 PM (990 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Posted Image

As you know All Eagles All The Time 2009/2010 is an Archival/History in Videos and Still captures showing the various stages throughout the year in the lives of the Eagles on the EagleCams at Pelican Harbor (PH) Nest ... on Santa Cruz Island and Two Harbors (TH) Nest & West End (WE) Nest ... on Santa Catalina Island.

The other confirmed nests on Catalina Island are at Pinnacle Rock (PR) ... Rattlesnake Canyon (RS) ... Seal Rocks (SR) and Twin Rocks (TR)

Middle Ranch (MR) .. is not yet a confirmed nest ... and it also looks like there is a new female there to.

You can find out who is who at each nest by visiting the
Meet The Adult Pairs thread.

Because we still want to follow the events happening on these nests without cameras .. separate threads will be opened for each nest .. and I will be posting the links to the Catalina Updates, written by Dr. Peter Sharpe and Steffani Jijon ... along with the photos taken by Steffani ... so that members can easily access the current information.

This is the thread for Twin Rocks (TR).

Eagles Territories map taken from the Bald Eagle Restoration on the California Channel Islands. January - December 2009 8th Annual Report.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
TR - Twin Rocks Nest - Santa Catalina Island.

K-33/male & K-17/female

Posted Image
Nest is circled

(Click on thumbnail to see full size)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATES ON K-33 & K-17

:clk: December 17, 2009 :clk:

Steffani: This week, Pete went to Santa Cruz and I have been focusing on checking the exciting pairs and making sure they are still paired up and still ďplanningĒ on breeding next year.

I spent some time watching the Twin Rocks territory. After a while I spotted one of the adults. Itís perching not too far away from its nest. After about an hour or so it took off to the west.

After a while I spotted another eagles perching farther down the ridge. Since the sun was starting to go down I was able to ready the tag and it K33. I cant tell for sure that the previous eagle was him as well or his mate

Posted Image....... Posted Image .......Posted Image

:clk: December 30, 2009 :clk:

Steffani: Iíve been looking for is the Twin Rocks pair.

Yesterday I spent about 6 hours looking for these two and all I got was a short visual on one of them and it was too far to tell who it was. Iím mostly certain it was one of the TR birds based on its wing-pattern coloration they are distinct for.

Posted Image

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)

(Click on thumbnails to see full size)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
JANUARY UPDATES

:clk: January 6, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Yesterday, I checked on the Twin Rocks (TR) birds. In the morning I spotted one of them perching on the ridge near the nest but quickly disappeared.

By mid-afternoon, another (or the same) adult showed up and landed on the nest this time. It started arranging the stick in the back of the nest and it took off. A few minutes later it came back again and it stayed there until I left.

While knowing that these two birds are planning to use the same nest to breed next year itís good news, because of the remote location, we wont be able to set up a camera system so it will have to be checked in person.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image

Video by Steffani: Twin Rocks Nest. Jan 5th, 2010

:clk: January 14-19, 2010 :clk:

Steph: I tried to get to as many nests and territories as I could this week before the rainstorms settled in.

I managed to get to most of them and started out by first observing the Twin Rocks pair. I found one of the adults perched in the nest and after the adult flew off, both adults were seen flying over the ridge NW of their nest.

Posted Image....... Posted Image
Looking at the TR nest ............... Adult on TR nest

(Pictures courtesy of Steffani and Stephanie)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
FEBRUARY UPDATES

:clk: February 13, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Last Monday I watched the Twin Rocks area for several hours.

I spotted one of the adults perched on the ridge near the nest but didnít see any nesting activity while I was out there.

Posted Image

:clk: February 17, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: We are starting to observe a lot of nesting activity in pretty much all of the Catalina nests.

When Pete went out to check TR, he watched both adults perch and copulate on their nest, so they are right on track as well.

(Picture courtesy of Steffani)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
EGG .. CITING NEWS!

:clk: February 24, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: On Friday, I visited the Twin Rocks nest (TR) and found both birds in the area; one on the nest and the other perching right below. After a few minutes, the one on the nest started to arrange the grass in the center of the nest and went into incubation position and did not get up for over 30min so we assume they must have at least one egg.

Our closest observation point is about a mile away and at about the same height so we are not able to see into the nest, therefore we won't know how many eggs they have until these hatch and we see chicks moving.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MARCH UPDATES

:clk: March 4, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Five of the seven Catalina nests have currently 2 eggs each.

That is two for Seal Rocks (SR), Pinnacle Rock (PR), Two Harbors (TH), Twin Rocks (TR) and Rattlesnake (RS).

:clk: March 11, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I checked TR last week and when I first got there both birds were perching a few feet from the nest, which worried me. Pretty soon one of them flew down and continued incubating.

Posted Image.......Posted Image

:clk: March 17, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking on all the Catalina nests at least twice at week. Pinnacle Rock (PR), Seal Rocks (SR), Twin Rocks (TR), Rattlesnake (RS), Two Harbors (TH), West End (WE) and Middle Ranch (MR).

Unfortunately, the TR paired seems to have failed.
I watched that nest for over 3 hours last week and I was only able to spot one adult and no one came to the nest. Pete went out there today and confirmed a failed nest.

:clk: March 24, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I checked on the Twin Rocks (TR) pair a few days ago and they havenít tried laying eggs again yet. Thereís still time for them to try again this year I suppose so weíre optimistic about it.

:clk: March 31, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking on the Twin Rocks pair.

Their nest failed a few weeks ago but itís early enough and they could still try breeding again this year. Yesterday I watched this area and while nobody was at the nest I did find one of the adults.

Posted Image..........Posted Image
..... Empty TR nest............... TR adult perched on dead oak

(Pictures courtesy of Steffani)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
APRIL UPDATES

:clk: April 14, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I have been checking on the Twin Rocks (TR) pair to see if they are going to attempt to breed this year.

Last week I spotted one of the adults on the Italian Gardens side of their territory but never saw the second one, which got me hopeful.

.......................................................Posted Image

A few days later I climbed to the top of the TR area, where I had a better view of both sides of their territory and after several hours I finally spotted both adults flying separately, therefore, theyíre not nesting again.

However, Catalinaís weather is quite mild so they could still try. We are not giving up on them and weíll continue to check their area in case they do nest again.

...................Posted Image.................................... Posted Image
K-17/TR female on one of their favorite perches. ........................K17 circled

While I was watching for the second adult, I observed K17 being incessantly harassed by a red-tailed hawk.

........................................................Posted Image

Video by Steffani: TR K-17

(Pictures courtesy of Steffani)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MAY UPDATE

:clk: May 13, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Last week I went to check on the Twin Rocks eagles to find out if they have attempted to breed again this season.

I surveyed their territory from two different locations but I didnít spot anybody and their nest is empty.

Iíll try just one more time just to make sure that they didnít build a nest somewhere else but Iím afraid they wont breed this year.

Posted Image

(Picture courtesy of Steffani)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date
Offline Profile Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Class of 2010 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic