Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Middle Ranch Eagle's Nest 2009/2010; Nestorations to Fledging
Topic Started: Mar 6 2010, 10:26 AM (2,176 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Posted Image

As you know All Eagles All The Time 2009/2010 is an Archival/History in Videos and Still captures showing the various stages throughout the year in the lives of the Eagles on the EagleCams at Pelican Harbor (PH) Nest ... on Santa Cruz Island and Two Harbors (TH) Nest & West End (WE) Nest ... on Santa Catalina Island.

The other confirmed nests on Catalina Island are at Pinnacle Rock (PR) ... Rattlesnake Canyon (RS) ... Seal Rocks (SR) and Twin Rocks (TR)

You can find out who is who at each nest by visiting the
Meet The Adult Pairs thread.

Because we still want to follow the events happening on these nests without cameras .. separate threads will be opened for each nest .. and I will be posting the links to the Catalina Updates, written by Dr. Peter Sharpe and Steffani Jijon ... along with the photos taken by Steffani ... so that members can easily access the current information.

This is the thread for Middle Ranch (MR)

Eagles Territories map taken from the Bald Eagle Restoration on the California Channel Islands. January - December 2009 8th Annual Report.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MR - Middle Ranch Nest - Santa Catalina Island.

K-93/male & A-32/female

Breaking News! .. A-37 is the new female in K-93's life!

Spotted and captured on video .. on February 11th, 2010

Posted Image

(Click on thumbnail to see full size)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATES RE K-93 & A-32

:clk: December 17, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: This week, Pete went to Santa Cruz and I have been focusing on checking the exciting pairs and making sure they are still paired up and still “planning” on breeding next year.

I’ve searched for the Middle ranch pair and it looks like they have not made up their minds yet as far as to which area to call home. They keep moving back and forth from the Haypress area to the Middle Ranch area.

:clk: December 23, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I spotted the Middle Ranch pair this week, perched on the electrical poles behind the KBRT ranch.

Posted Image .......Posted Image
..... A-32................................................ K-93

:clk: December 30, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I’ve been checking on the existing breeding pairs on the island.

I have been focusing mostly on the Middle Ranch pair because last Thursday I found the male, K93, messing around on last years’ MR nest, which is something new. They keep moving from the burnt area and the reservoir though. The majority of the time I find one of them in each place.

The other day I spotted the female, A32, at the reservoir. She was vocalizing away for hours. After a while she took off, flew around the area for a few minutes and came back to perch on a near by pine tree.

.......Posted Image....... Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image
Seen from across the reservoir.................... Closer.......................... A little closer........................... On Pine tree

I left as it was staring to get dark and on my way back I found the male roosting behind the KRRT ranch.

I think these two need to communicate better as far as which area they’re going to call home. Hopefully, it’ll be the reservoir since there are two perfectly good nests there, one with a nice-looking camera with very easy access. Time will tell.

Posted Image
.......... K-93

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)

(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
JANUARY UPDATES

:clk: January 6, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I’ll start the New Year with some good news.

I have been gone for most of the week so Pete has been checking on the birds and he observed the two Middle Ranch (MR) birds working on their nest over the weekend.

A couple of weeks ago I had spotted one of them on the nest, which was a good sign but seeing both of them there is really promising. Unfortunately, the nest does not have a camera but we have a good observation spot right across from the eagle enclosure. We sure hope to have MR chicks this year!

:clk: January 13, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I went out exploring the area around the Middle Ranch (MR) nest trying to find a point where we can maybe set up a blind and observe this pair in case they do decide to use this nest.

...............................................Posted Image
This is a great view of the nest but unfortunately too close and in full sight of the eagles.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image
Getting farther away.....................Going higher ............... A few spots for this view.

:clk: January 14-19, 2010 :clk:

Steph: We had a report of a sighting of the Middle Ranch pair near their nest in the pine trees at the reservoir, so we know they're still around and we're hoping to see them start working on their nest again.

:clk: January 29, 2010 :clk:

Peter: I have been checking on the Middle Ranch birds by the aviary.

Both MR birds have been seen regularly and I've seen them perched near their eucalyptus tree nest a couple of times, so they'll probably use that one.

(Pictures courtesy of Dr Sharpe, Steffani, Stephanie and/or the IWS crew)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
FEBRUARY UPDATES

:clk: February 3, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I got a chance to see the Middle Ranch pair perching on their nest tree.

Posted Image

:clk: February 13, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: The Middle Ranch (MR) pair have consistently been spotted at the reservoir and perched on the nest on the eucalyptus tree.

While we were feeding our captive eagles, we started hearing some loud vocalizations coming from this area so we went over and found out that the male had probably just delivered a food item to his mate and we caught her eating it on the nest.

While we have been looking forward to have this pair reproduce and this activity looks very promising, it is, unfortunately, too late to think about placing a camera on this nest.

Video by Steffani: Middle Ranch Pair. February 11th, 2010

:clk: February 17, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: We are starting to observe a lot of nesting activity in pretty much all of the Catalina nests, including Middle Ranch (MR).

Pete and I have spotted the MR pair perching by the burn area and also on their nest.

Last week I had posted a video of these two birds on their nest and later we realized there was something a bit odd about it.

If you look closely to the video you’d notice that the blue-tagged bird, which is supposed to read A32, actually reads A37! Somehow, our blue-tagged female, A32 (7-years-old), has been replaced by another blue-tagged eagle, A37, and has become K93’s new mate.

Posted Image.......Posted Image....... Posted Image
............. K-93........................................ A-37.................................. MR Pair

Pete got a really good look at her the other day and was able to confirm the different tag number. A37 is a 2005 eagle so she’s turning 5 this spring.

These eagle always manage to surprise us one way or another. K93 might not be the best nest builder out there but he’s now known as a “blue-tagged-girl-kind-of-guy”.

Posted Image.......Posted Image

:clk: February 24, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: We have continued to monitor the Middle Ranch pair but they have not shown more nesting activity.

Sometimes they perch around their nest and hang out at the reservoir and sometime we see them at the burnt area. They still have plenty of time but we’d sure like to see something definitive.

(Pictures courtesy of Steffani )

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MARCH UPDATE

:clk: March 4, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Five of the seven Catalina nests have currently 2 eggs each.

That is two for Seal Rocks (SR), Pinnacle Rock (PR), Two Harbors (TH), Twin Rocks (TR) and Rattlesnake (RS).

The Middle Ranch (MR) pair is still “debating” whether or not to breed this season.

I have not seen them work on their nest but they remain together. They still have plenty of time so there’s still hope for them; I’ll keep you posted.

:clk: March 17, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking on all the Catalina nests at least twice at week. Pinnacle Rock (PR), Seal Rocks (SR), Twin Rocks (TR), Rattlesnake (RS), Two Harbors (TH), West End (WE) and Middle Ranch (MR).

We have seen the MR birds visit their nests but they continue to spend a lot of time on the burnt area. They should be more active if the plan on breeding this year… we still have hope.

The MR pair perched on an electric pole on the KBRT area.

Posted Image

Here’s the female feeding on her nest.

Video by Steffani: A-37 - The Middle Ranch Female. Feeding on Her Nest

:clk: March 24, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Our membership coordinator, Nancee Wells, visited us last week.
She and Pete spotted the Middle Ranch (MR) pair at their nest tree and here are a couple of the photos she took of them.

Posted Image..........Posted Image
Flying with some Ravens

We have consistently spotted the MR birds spend time on their nest.

Pete has observed the female, A37, vocalize for a while until her mate, K93, brings her a fish. It looks like she will lay eggs this season we’d just like it to be sooner than later.

(Pictures courtesy of Steffani and Nancee )

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
EGG .. CITING NEWS!

:clk: March 31, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: The Middle Ranch pair had been seen perching and working on their nest regularly. Last week, I even watched as the female worked on making a grass bowl on the nest.

Posted Image
..................................A37 on nest

After checking on the RS chick, Pete checked on the MR nest and saw the female, A37, in the incubating position. A few minutes later I stopped at the site and saw the female on her nest again.

About an hour later I watched the male this time, K93 , roll their egg for the first time.

We have waited for this moment for a long time so it was a really great feeling seeing him finally caring for an egg. Today, I will visit them and try to get a look into their nest bowl because there could potentially be two eggs by now. Keep your fingers crossed.

Video by Steffani: Middle Ranch Pair. March 24-30th, 2010

(Picture courtesy of Steffani)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
HOW MANY EGGS NOW?

:clk: April 7, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I headed to the Bulrush area so I can find a place to “spy” on the Middle Ranch (MR) pair and find out how many eggs A37 has laid so far.

Once I got to my observation spot on the ridge above MR area I waited until the eagles turned the egg/s or made a switch so I can see into the nest bowl. I found K93 incubating and pretty soon A37 arrived to the site.

I spent about 4 hours trying to see into the nest from different points but I was only able to get a glance of one egg. The bowl seems to be too deep for us to see in. Pete went there on the next day but wasn’t able to see the whole bowl either.

I guess we’ll just going to have to wait until the chick/s hatches and see how many we have. It’ll be a surprise!

Posted Image.......... Posted Image
K-93 incubating.................... Both MR eagles on nest tree

Video by Steffani: Middle Ranch Nest. April 1, 2010

:clk: April 21, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: The Middle Ranch (MR) eagles are the only ones left incubating eggs.
We don’t know how many they actually have but the first one was laid on March 29th so it’s not due for another two weeks. We shall see how many chicks they end up hatching.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image
K-93 having a snack behind Haypress Reservoir....... MR nest on a windy afternoon

Video by Steffani: Middle Ranch Nest. April 15-21, 2010

(Pictures courtesy of Steffani)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
STILL INCUBATING.

:clk: April 28, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Middle Ranch - Still incubating (hopefully 2 eggs).

The MR egg/s are due to hatch in about a week so it’s all about to get even more exciting for this first time breeders.

Posted Image
.....K93 incubating

(Picture courtesy of Steffani)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
CONGRATULATIONS K-93 & A-37 - A NEW CHICK!

Eagle Guy,May 3 2010
08:48 PM
Middle Ranch hatched a chick this afternoon. It is the first chick for this nest and the first time we've had chicks in 6 different nests.

:clk: May 6, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I’ll just start with the best news of the week.

The Middle Ranch pair hatched their very first chick ever on Monday!

We have waiting for this moment for a long time and we are really happy they finally managed to do reproduce this year.

Posted Image.........Posted Image
.... A37 brooding............................A37 feeding chick

We have been watching this nest almost everyday this week trying to figure out how many eggs/chicks we would get. It looks like they only have this one chick for now.

I watched the nest for a couple of hours today and I could only see the female feed one chick so I’m 99% certain there’s only one chick; the other 1% is purely hope.

I’ve noticed that the female does not let the male be on the nest for very long and I have yet to see him interact with the newly hatched chick.

It is not uncommon for the females to behave over protectively during the first week of hatching, other females on the island have done that too. A37 however, seems to like being on the nest and have her mate, K93, bring her food even during the incubation period, which is a bit different than the rest of the pair.

The male mostly hangs out perching on electric poles on the burn area and makes trips back to the nest throughout the day to deliver food to his family.

Posted Image..........Posted Image
Mom feeding ........................... K93 on electric pole

Anyways, regardless of the dynamic of this pair, we’re just happy they have finally managed to successfully breed this year.

I made a video of the MR nest over the last 3 days.

Video by Steffani: Middle Ranch Nest. May 3 - 6th, 2010

:clk: May 19, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking on the MR nest almost daily and yesterday I was finally able to get a good shot of their little chick being fed by the male.

If you recall, the female wasn’t letting the male stay alone with the chick but was letting him bring them food to the nest. It looks like that behavior has changed and now the male is “allowed” on the nest again.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image
A37 brooding her chick.............. A37 & chick.........................K93 & chick........................K93 feeding his chick

Video by Steffani: Middle Ranch Eagles May 18th, 2010

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MR CHICK IS GROWING FAST!

:clk: June 11, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: I checked on the nests twice this week. Some photos from the MR nest.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image
............................................... A37 feeding her chick..............Chick moving around................Poop shot!

Video by Steffani: Middle Ranch Nest. June 7th, 2010

:clk: June 16, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: The Middle Ranch chick is about two weeks away from being 8 weeks and the set date for its banding is June 28th.

I don’t have pictures but I do have an interesting story about one of the adults of this pair.

A little over a week ago one of the residents of Middle Ranch and his son, who tend to walk their dog along the Thompson’s Reservoir every afternoon, happened to watch the male, K93, snatch a great blue heron off the air and fly with it in his talons towards his nest.

This is the first time I have ever heard of eagles hunting for herons, I’m sure it has happened before but because herons are such large birds eagles tend not to go for them. I wish they had had their camera with them because that would have made an incredible video to watch. K93 sure is a great provider!

:clk: June 23, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: The Middle Ranch (MR) chick is the youngest known chick on the Channel Islands.

Posted Image.........Posted Image
MR nest, chick perched right in the middle of the nest

This chick will be 8-weeks-old this up coming Monday and you all know what that means… it is time to band the chick!

IWS is bringing Jim Spickler to Catalina one more time!

He’ll climb the tree, retrieve the chick and safely bring it down to Pete and I so we can band it. Jim saw the nest tree last time he was here and he said it’s going to be fun getting up there… it looks like a really challenging tree to climb to me but he’s such an experienced climber we don’t have to worry about it.

We will be banding the MR chick on Monday morning (June 28) so stay tuned and check back next week for some close-up photos and videos of the event.

Video by Steffani: Middle Ranch Chick June 22nd, 2010

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MEET .. K-98 ~ MIDDLE RANCH EAGLET!

Hatch Date ................ Wingbling Number .................... Fledge Date
May 3/10 ............................. K-98 (M).............................July 15/16th 2010

Posted Image
............................................................. Soon to be K-98, banded as a male

Posted on the IWS Facebook July 8/10 ... Blood results came back and the Middle Ranch chick is indeed a male.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 30, 2010 :clk:

Banding Day at MR Nest: Monday, June 28th, 2010
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
K-98 IS A BOY!.

:clk: July 14, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: The blood results came back confirming that the Middle Ranch chick is indeed a male.

We check on him pretty much every day.

The other day I stopped and watched him for a few minutes and he started to flap his wings. By the time I set up the scope and got my camera out he stopped, naturally.

Video by Steffani: Middle Ranch Chick. K-98 July 8th, 2010

For complete update .. click on the date
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
SAD, SAD NEWS!

:clk: Catalina Update, Thursday, July 22, 2010 :clk:

Eagle Guy: On Thursday evening, Steffani went to feed Pimu and Hydi and check on K98, the Middle Ranch chick.

He wasn't on the nest so she went out looking for him. His signal was normal but both parents were acting aggressively as soon as she stepped close to their nest, so she decided to come back the next day and try getting a visual.

Posted Image
...MR empty nest.

Looking for the chick from across the valley.

Posted Image

This chick is 10.5 weeks old, the lower age for fledging.

The next day, after a lot of searching, Steffani found K98 perched on a bush and getting harassed by mockingbirds.

He must have been sheltering himself under the bushes. At one point Steffani thought she was looking for a dropped transmitter and not the actual bird. It was a very hot day so she didn’t blame him for trying to get in the shade. He would call out to his parents every now and then, but never while she had the camera on (of course). You can hear him vocalize at the end of the video and can see/hear the mockingbirds harassing him throughout.

Video by Steffani: Middle Ranch Chick. K98 .. July 16th, 2010

She hiked out relieved to have found him alive and well.

On Saturday morning she drove by the ranch on her way to the west end and got a normal signal from K98.

She drove back to Middle Ranch to feed Hydi and Pimu. As she was leaving she turned on her telemetry radio and got a mortality signal on K98.

So she hiked out into the canyon and ended up retrieving the body of our youngest chick about 200 feet from where she had seen him the day before.

It was a horrible day.

We have shipped this bird to the lab and their preliminary report is that it was emaciated (no body fat) and dehydrated. I don't expect much fat in a young developing eagle, but the dehydration is probably what killed it.

This eagle fledged just as our first hot days of the year hit and it was around 90-100 degrees for a few days. This chick had been getting a lot of ground squirrels delivered to his nest, which I'd expect would have much less water content than their normal diet of fish. Therefore, he may have started out with a handicap in terms of hydration.

Unfortunately, he died within a few hundred feet of Thompson Reservoir, the island’s main water supply.

The lab will also check for possible diseases, as they are doing with the Rattlesnake chicks, but I don't think disease was the cause of K98's death.

This is the first year since I started in 1997 that we have had eaglets die after fledging and before leaving their parents territory.

K-98s entry in the Eagles Over The Rainbow Bridge thread

.................................... :candle: :^^^: R.I.P. <:3 :candle:

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
ADULTS SPOTTED!

:clk: Catalina Update, Wednesday, July 28, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: On Monday, I went out looking for the Middle Ranch pair.

Pete mentioned that he hadn't seen neither one of them all week so I started looking on the Haypress area and made my way into Bulrush canyon. None of the adults have radios, therefore finding them is more difficult because I don't know the general area where they could be, and because they don't have a chick anymore, they are not restricted to the reservoir.

After a couple of hours of searching I returned to the ranch and fed Pimu and Hydi.

On my way back to town guess whom I saw? Yeah, both Middle Ranch eagles were conveniently perched on electric poles on the KBRT and Haypress areas.

K93 seen from far away...............There he is!

I should have just left the house 3 hours later and find them there to begin with my job is funny that way

Posted Image....... Posted Image
A37, far away................................ There she is!

She was still too far away & it was too hot to be able to read her tags though.

:clk: Catalina Update, Wednesday, August 4, 2010 :clk:

Steffani: Pretty much every day on my drive to the ranch to feed the birds I spot the Middle Ranch eagles perched by the Haypress Reservoir.

Posted Image

Offline Profile Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Class of 2010 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic