Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Northern Channel Islands Nests. 2009/2010; Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa Islands.
Topic Started: Mar 8 2010, 07:18 PM (3,286 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Posted Image

Posted Image

Cueva Valdez ~ A-00/A-16 ..... Fraser Point ~ A-40/A-49? ..... Malva Real ~ A17/ K-11 ..... Pelican Harbor ~ K-10/K-26..... Sauces ~ A-27/A-28
Willows Anchorage ~ A-45/A-51..... Yellowbanks ~ A-11/A-21

All the known nests are the green triangles.

Posted Image

As you know All Eagles All The Time 2009/2010 is an Archival/History where videos and still captures, showing all the various stages throughout the year in the lives of all the eagles, on the nests with WebCams, are posted.

The Pelican Harbor (PH) Nest ... is the only nest on Santa Cruz Island that currently has an online camera.

You can find out who is who at each nest by visiting the
Meet The Adult Pairs thread.

In order to follow the events happening on the Northern Channel Islands nests this season ... this thread has been opened and I will be posting the links to the Northern Channel Islands Updates, written by Stephanie, Don and the other IWS Crew members ... along with the photos taken by them ... so that members can easily access the current information about the nests.

I want to say a huge Thank You to Stephanie.
I asked her if she could update the last map that she sent to me ... and the above map showing the Santa Cruz Island Pairs 2010 is the result.

Thanks also to Annie .. because I snagged the other map .. showing Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa Islands from the
Bald Eagle Restoration on the Northern Channel Islands, California. January - December 2008 7th Annual Report .. that she forwarded to us .. and that Tiger/MIB posted onto the forum.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATES RE ADULT PAIRS

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update. January 26- February 2, 2010 :clk:

Steph: This past week on Santa Cruz, we had one of our new seasonal technicians, Helen Johnson, start working for IWS. I took her around to most of the territories on the island, so that she could feel comfortable going out there to search for the eagle nests.

Malva Real Nest ~ SC Island
Steph: We searched for A-17 and K-11 and found them perched in the pine trees atop Carl's Peak. We are hopeful they will start to build a nest soon.

Sauces Canyon ~ SC Island
We headed to Sauces/Christy where we saw an adult bald eagle soaring.
We later checked the nest camera and found that A-27 and A-28 were working on their nest the past week in all the rainstorms.

Willows Anchorage Pair ~ Santa Cruz Island
Helen and I also went out to the Willows coastline where we got a sighting of an adult eagle flying, however we could not identify the individual.
It's nice to know the eagles have returned to their territory at least.

...........Posted Image.................................. Posted Image
Looking inland at the Willow's territory...............The road to Willows Anchorage

Yellowbanks area ~ SC Island
The Yellowbanks eagles were nowhere to be seen when we hiked out Montanon Ridge, but now Helen has an idea of how challenging the terrain is in their territory.

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update. February 2-9, 2010 :clk:

Don here... First off, I want to “Thank You” all for the warm welcomes, both for myself and the other new members of the Crew, Helen and Kim.
It's great for me to be back on the islands, having worked for the Park Service on the Island Fox recovery project in its first years.
This is also a return to the islands, IWS, and the eagle project for Kim.

Fraser Point ~ Santa Cruz Island
Don: Stephanie mentioned in an earlier update that A-49 was hanging out at Fraser Point.
I also had the honor to greet the “princess” at the west end on the following tour.

Posted Image....... Posted Image
A-49 ..Upper right corner........... Through the scope

Malva Real ~ SC Island
We are also hoping to find a nest for A-17 (has a gps transmitter) and K-11. They spend considerable time in the Malva/Gull Island area and up in the pines near Ragged Mountain.
This is where they like to hang out in the trees near Ragged Mtn. This should be A-17 based on the gps data we got for that date and time (during this last tour).

Posted Image.............Posted Image................Posted Image
Center bottom of picture......................Closer view..................Gull Island and the beach at Malva.

Sauces Canyon ~ SC Island
Near Kinton Point is what we hope will be a new pair of eagle stars. A-27 and A-28 have been visiting the Sauces nest and we have a little video footage for you.
Please excuse the water drop on the lens and skip to about minute 2:30 unless you want to watch empty nest. Sorry, we didn’t get everything edited (the video will open on a separate PhotoBucket web page).

Video by Don: A-27 and A-28 arrive at Sauces Nest. January 21, 2010

(Pictures/Videos courtesy of Stephanie, Don and/or the IWS crew)
(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

For complete updates and pictures, click on the dates
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
FEBRUARY UPDATES CONTINUED RE ADULT PAIRS

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update February 9-16th, 2010 :clk:

This week was another exciting week on Santa Cruz Island. It was such beautiful weather all week.

Cueva Valdez ~ Santa Cruz Island
Since we had such great weather, we were able to head out on the boat in search of the Cueva Valdez pair. We were hoping they might be active or at least be working on a nest somewhere. Instead we found both adults .. A-00 and A-16 .. perched nearby each other, where they remained for our entire observation period.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image
.......... A-00..................................... A-16....................................... A-00 & A-16

We also had time to get out to the Fraser eagles' territory and found something interesting going on.
We didn't find A-24 anywhere, but we did find A-40 hanging out with another eagle. A-49!!! So we are going to keep an eye on those eagles because perhaps A-24 took off and A-49 has moved in to be the new female with A-40.

........Posted Image.................Posted Image.................Posted Image
Eagles are perched on farthest ridge................. A-49.....................................A very green territory

Sauces Canyon Nest ~ Santa Cruz Island
We also checked on the Sauces pair .. A-27 and A-28 .. and it looks like they've been busy working on their nest.
When we went to go check on the nest, we saw both adults flying in to roost in the trees nearby their nest. One eagle perched in pine trees south of nest tree (not very good lighting for the photo)

Posted Image

I spent some time editing more videos of the pair working on their nest

Video by Stephanie: A-27 and A-28 arrive at Sauces Nest January 21, 2010

Video by Stephanie: A-27 and A-28 working on Sauces Nest February 10, 2010

Video by Stephanie: A-27 and A-28 working on Sauces Nest Part Two February 10, 2010

Video by Stephanie: A-28 working on nest February 12, 2010

Yellow Banks ~ Santa Cruz Island
The next day, we headed out on the boat again looking for the Yellowbanks pair, A-11 and A-21.
We found both eagles, although they were very far away from each other, making their territory even more challenging for us, since their nest could be anywhere.

....... A-11......................................... A-21.......................... Their possible territory
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
FEBRUARY continues ...

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update: February 16 -23, 2010 :clk:

Malva Real ~ Santa Cruz Island
We often see eagles perched on the side of Carl (mountain, peak, knob?) so we generally stop there to see if anyone is around.
At first there weren’t any eagles in view, but soon an eagle flew into view and landed. Hmm, orange tag, probably K-11. Soon this eagle flew off, but then returned within a couple of minutes. That’s a bit unusual. Very soon after that another eagle shows up, blue tag, most certainly K-11 and A-17. Cool.

Posted Image....... Posted Image
Only one in this picture............... Both in this one.

Now as I was watching these two, and noting some behavior that seemed somewhat familiar, I thought, “I wonder?” “It shouldn’t take more than an hour to get over there". I rode a little closer and then threw on a pack and hoofed it. Lots of Bishop Pines blowing LOTS of pollen, but ... It’s a beautiful nest. Don’t worry, both eagles had flown off long before I got anywhere near it.

Posted Image.......Posted Image

Obviously no eggs at the time, which I expected given their behavior, but needless to say the whole IWS crew is pretty excited by another (known) nest on the island.
We’ll be keeping an eye on things and keeping you as up to date as possible.

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update: February 23 - March 2, 2010 :clk:

This past week, myself, Helen, and Peter were all out on Santa Cruz and were hoping to find some more nests.

Helen and I went to the Cueva territory earlier in the week and found A-00 in his usual spot, but A-16 was missing. Perhaps, they will have a nest somewhere.
We'll be very busy hiking around their huge territory in the upcoming months.

We went and checked out the Carl's Peak nest that Don had found the previous tour, but it seems the eagles haven't really been back there to work on it any more.

We also went out to look for a potential nest for the pair of eagles that hangs out around Willows. Even with the three of us in completely different spots in their territory, we never even saw them. Who knows, they could have abandoned their territory for somewhere else.

We are expecting that anything can happen this year, so we are trying really hard to get IDs on the eagles when we see them, which is often very challenging.

Yellowbanks ~ Santa Cruz Island
We headed out to search for a nest for the Yellowbanks pair. We saw both adults, A-11 and A-21, still not on a nest yet.

.......Posted Image...............Posted Image.............Posted Image.......Posted Image
The Yellowbanks pair's territory... Looking inland at their territory..................... A-21 flying around his territory

(Pictures courtesy of Stephanie, Don and/or the IWS crew)

For complete update and pictures, click on the date
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MARCH UPDATE RE SANTA ROSA ISLAND NEST/S.

:clk: Santa Rosa Island Update: March 2-9, 2010 :clk:

Trap Canyon ~ Santa Rosa Island
Don: We started off the tour trying to discover if the Trap Canyon pair has been active at their previous nest site. Unfortunately it looks like they may have given up, at least at this location. Too many failures? :(

We checked on the nest a few times during the tour and near the end I actually went up above it and took the second picture. It isn’t possible to see into the entire nest because of the Coreopsis, but it appeared to me they haven’t done any “nestorating” this year. I’m hoping they have set up somewhere else. (fingers crossed)

NEW Nest found at .. Johnson’s Lee ~ Santa Rosa Island
It's a pretty place.

Posted Image

And there is even an eagle or two, one blue and one orange.

It has been known that A-43, female, has been hanging out there regularly with some fella from Catalina , but no one was able to ID him until this tour when Kim got a good look at his “bling”.

He is K-36, though you’d never be able to tell from this picture.

Posted Image.......Posted Image....... Posted Image
...........K-36........................................ A-43................................. Both together

Yep, they are getting ready to attempt a family. Another shot of the nest with K-36 hiding behind some branches up above.

Posted Image

Kim was able to get a view of A-43 actually at the nest before we left the island, but no eggs as of that date.

The NPS fox folks are going to try to keep an eye on things there for us since we are limited in our ability to get to Rosa these days. Thanks Angela and Donavon!

(Pictures courtesy of Don and/or the IWS crew)

For complete update and other pictures, click on the date
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MARCH UPDATE RE SANTA CRUZ ISLAND NEST/S & PAIRS.

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update: March 9-16, 2010 :clk:

Stephanie: So we are all very excited that Don and Kim found a new nest on Santa Rosa Island. If only we could be so lucky on Santa Cruz.

News on the Fraser Point pair is that they are still not nesting, but two eagles were spotted hanging out together in their usual spot, the cross on the cliffs.

Unfortunately, I forgot my camera that day, so wasn't able to post any photos of that pair.

Fry's Harbor
We headed out on the boat one day heading towards Fry's Harbor and Cueva Valdez.

What we discovered at Fry's was very shocking because we have known that A-46 has been hanging out there according to his GPS data points, but we didn't know that he had a mate.
It was a big surprise to us that it seems his new mate is A-24! She was paired with A-40 last year out at Fraser, so we are happy to know that she is alive and has perhaps found a new territory where she may nest.

We will continue to keep our eye on that new pair to see if they may nest.

........Posted Image...........Posted Image.......Posted Image
..A-46 and A-24 perched at Fry's.................. A-24................................... A-46

Helen and I both spent time observing the Carl's Peak nest that A-17 and K-11 have built, but we only saw them working on it one day. Hopefully they will lay eggs soon.

We do have exciting news to report regarding the Sauces nest.

They have an egg that A-27 laid on March 11. So we will be sure to edit that video and get it posted online for all to watch.

We recently scanned our Sauces camera video and found an unexpected visitor working on the nest with A-27. We can't really figure out a logical reason why A-40 would have been working on the nest with her because he only stopped by for that one day. Perhaps when he flew by, the nest was empty and he was just checking it out. He even helped work on the nest by bringing in sticks and nesting material.

If only he could build his own nest out near Fraser somewhere with A-49.

We edited a couple videos from the Sauces video recordings, and if you pay close attention the the one video with A-40, you can see A-27 fly across to the hills behind the nest and pick up some grass to add to the nest bowl.

Video by Stephanie: A27 and A28 on March 5, 2010

Video by Stephanie: An unexpected visitor at Sauces Nest ...

We headed out in search of eagles at the Willows area again, however I only managed to see one adult eagle with orange tags flying over el Tigre ridge as I was hiking back to the vehicle.

We are still searching for those eagles that occupy that territory.

Willows territory from up high on the ridge.

This week we spent a lot of time searching the large territory the Yellowbanks pair occupies, but did not find anything.

Helen was able to spot one member of the pair, A-21, but we haven't been lucky enough to stumble upon their nest.

I found one nest that would be suitable for bald eagles to use over on the east side of the island in Smuggler's Canyon, so we will be keeping our eye on that nest to see if the eagles will use it.

Posted Image
Yellowbanks territory

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MARCH continues ...

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update: March 16 -23, 2010 :clk:

Kim and I headed out to the Valdez Canyon area on a subsequent day trying to determine if the “North Shore pair” .. A-00 & A-16 .. are up to anything. Kim went “above and beyond” hiking down the ridge west of Valdez while I took the ridge to the east.

While I did see a couple of nests, they weren’t eagle nests. The first is an active Red-tail nest, which suggests that eagles aren’t likely nesting in Valdez Canyon, while the second was unused and very small, but what can I say. Finding nests is what we are supposed to be doing. ;)

Kim went out on a major North Shore trek on our last full day on the island and saw A-00 heading into a canyon near Baby’s Anchorage so we are hoping that may be their nest site. We are still waiting to confirm. Keep your fingers crossed.

..........Posted Image................................Posted Image
Arch Rock just east of Valdez Canyon. ..... One of the adults in favorite roosting tree

During the final days of the tour I headed out to the west end of the island to check in on the "Carl/Maggie" pair .. A-17 & K-11.
While K-11 wasn’t in evidence, A-17 was roosting at the nest tree, but they don’t appear to have an egg yet (at the time) based on her behavior. But we are thinking positive and hoping she will lay soon.

Posted Image

I also got out to the Sauces nest recorder and noted both birds at the nest, or close by anyway.

Posted Image

Video by Don: A-27 & A-28 in Sticks, sticks, and more sticks!

We are still trying to figure out where the “Yellowbanks” pair .. A-11 & A-21 .. are nesting, if they are, in fact, nesting at all.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
... AND CONTINUES

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update: March 23 -30, 2010 :clk:

A-16 was seen flying suspiciously into a draw near Lady’s Harbor, but we still haven’t found a nest. Hopefully it is just a matter a hiking around some more.

Here is a picture of the possible nest area (ridge to left of yours truly)

Posted Image

On Thursday, I saw two birds perched together near Fraser’s Point. Again, they were too far away for an ID, but one was a sub-adult.

The Carl/Maggie pair seem to be spending a lot more time on the nest in recent days. They are also sitting lower down than in the photos from previous updates.
Cross your fingers.

And of course, A-27 & A-28 are still sitting on eggs and bashing each other with sticks.

Video by Helen: Sauces Nest. March 21, 2010 A-27 + A-28

The week began with a hike out to the Yellowbanks pair’s territory.
We saw one eagle perched on the cliffs over the ocean, but it was too far away to ID. We couldn’t zoom in enough to get a picture of the eagle, but here is what the terrain is like where we were.

Posted Image

(Pictures courtesy of Stephanie, Helen, Don and/or the IWS crew)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
EGG ..CITING NEWS ~ NEW NEST FOUND!

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update: March 30 - April 6, 2010 :clk:

A little recent history, on a previous tour Kim had noted a member of the Cueva-Valdez pair, A-00 & A-16, fly into a canyon in the Lady’s/Baby’s Coves area.

This is a pair we’ve been curious about for quite awhile so Helen (and Michael) followed up exploring the area even more on the next tour. Helen was able to note more eagle activity in the canyon. Unfortunately, this area is on the north shore and is quite a hike to reach and Kim and Helen (and Michael) ran out of time despite wanting to further explore the canyon. So this tour was my turn.

Here’s the canyon ... Posted Image

As I headed down towards it I noted an eagle fly out of some of the trees in the canyon and then land closer to the ridge.

Posted Image...............Posted Image
See? ................................................Turns out it was A-16.

Something caught my eye. Hey! Yep, A-00 ... and quite the nest.

Posted Image..........Posted Image..........Posted Image

I watched the nest for a while, but A-00 never moved so I wasn’t able to get an egg (or chick?) count. He was certainly sitting on something though. I think Stephanie will have an update on the nest since she was going to visit the site after I left the island. Stay tuned.

Finding this nest was definitely a team effort, from Kim’s initial observations to Helen’s helping to narrow down the location. They deserve most of the credit, I just followed their directions. Great job team!

One of my other tasks for the week was to check on the Carl nest of K-11 and A-17.

We had found their nest earlier in the season, but didn’t know for sure if they were using it. It’s a hard nest to observe without getting too close, because of the tree density.

Posted Image........Posted Image........................Posted Image
..............A-17 roosting at the nest tree.................................Which of course would make you egg-spect this.

When I first crawled, literally, up to where I could see the nest K-11 was incubating. I was fortunate enough to see a switch and was able to see two eggs.

We’ll be keeping an eye on them.

In the next day or so I made it out to the Sauces nest area and collected the latest videos. Here are a couple of samples for you. Thanks! to Stephanie and Helen for reviewing, editing, and uploading them.

Video by IWS Crew: Sauces Nest. March 29, 2010

Video by IWS Crew: Sauces Nest. March 30, 2010

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
NESTS CHECK .. and other news!

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update: April 6 -13, 2010 :clk:

Stephanie: I was very excited to find out that Don had found A-00 and A-16’s nest! He happens to be my favorite eagle, so I was pleasantly surprised to be able to see his nest and get some photos of both eagles before leaving the islands.

Posted Image..../color]Posted Image .... Posted Image....Posted Image
..................A-00 flying around his territory ................................................................... A-16 sitting on the egg

The Fraser Point pair was seen again, and again they were too far away for an ID.

Posted Image

Helen spent some time at Carl, where they are still incubating. The estimated lay date was March 28, so they have a while yet until hatching.

Posted Image
A-17 at the Carl nest

And of course no update would be complete without a check in at the Sauces nest, where A-27 and A-28 are diligently incubating.

Posted Image..........Posted Image
.........Two good views of the eggs

Video by Helen: Sauces Nest. April 4, 2010

Video by Helen: Sauces Nest. April 5, 2010

Stephanie: I surveyed the south side of Santa Cruz Island trying to figure out what the pair at Willows is up to. I headed to Alamos and Horqueta Canyons searching for eagles and/or nests. Unfortunately, I didn’t see anything while out there, but here is a photo of this potential territory.

Posted Image
Alamos and Horqueta canyons

Helen: When I went out to Willows to survey that coastline, I found one eagle perched at San Justiniano Canyon.

I later saw two adults fly over me (couldn’t read the tags) and head east. They must have been chasing that other eagle out of their territory, because I then saw an eagle flying inland and to the west. Both adults then continued flying around their territory together until they disappeared out of my sight.

So it’s good to know there are still adult eagles in the area, however, they are not nesting yet, and we’re not even positive at their IDs.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
BREAKING NEWS ~ FIRST CHICK ON SANTA ROSA in 60 YEARS!

Eagle Guy,Apr 14 2010
04:46 PM
The Lopez nest on Santa Rosa has their first chick as of yesterday. First known chick to hatch in 60 years on Rosa.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
APRIL UPDATES continue ...

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update: April 13 -20, 2010 :clk:

Cueva Valdez .. aka Baby's Nest .. ~ Santa Cruz Island
My, perhaps, most significant field day was to check on the recently discovered nest of A-16 and A-00
If nothing else, it is most significant for its difficulty to hike to… or more like its difficulty to hike back up from. Whew!!!

It lies down towards the dreaded Diablo Canyon and requires crossing over Diablo Peak. Hmm…, I wonder why so many Diablos around here?

Posted Image
The view down to Diablo Canyon.

When I got within view of the Baby’s nest the whole “family” was there. Ma, Pa, and, well, still just an egg, but the way Ma kept kind of popping up and looking at it who knows, maybe it’s due to hatch any day now.

A little while later A-00 decided to roost a little farther off. Can you see him on the bare tree to the far right and about two thirds of the way up? I think he just needed a breather since he took over incubation duties soon after.

I was able to verify that there is only one egg in the Baby’s nest and we’ll be checking on it regularly and hoping for the best.

I think that’s it for now. I have some video I shot through my camera of the Baby’s nest and pair, but I’ll have to wait and process it when I get home. Hopefully it will turn out okay…, stay tuned.

Malva Real .. aka Carl Nest .. ~ Santa Cruz Island
My next big day in the field was to the west end of the island to check on the Carl nest pair A-17 and K-11, swap out the recorder at the Sauces nest, and do some surveying near Pozo Canyon.

Both the Carl birds were in attendance. Sorry, the pictures were really bad and not any different than ones from earlier reports, but I did get a couple of pictures of this young bird flying near their nest site.
It’s a Catalina bird, orange tags, but alas, no ID. The odd thing to me was that this bird was very close to the Carl pair and their nest and neither one of them bothered to chase it off.

Posted Image

At Sauces I observed one half of the pair on the nest, but from the video they are still sitting on eggs as of midday April 16th.

Hopefully that will change soon. I’ll try to get some video up soon.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
BREAKING NEWS ~ CHICKS HATCH ON THE BABY'S & SAUCES NESTS!

:clk: Santa Cruz Island Update: April 20 -27, 2010 :clk:

Cueva Valdez .. aka Baby's Nest .. ~ Santa Cruz Island
Helen: The week got exciting really quickly when I hiked down to the Baby’s harbor nest and saw that the egg has hatched. The chick looked alert and the parents were attentive.

So a big hooray for A-00 and A-16!

Posted Image..........Posted Image......... Posted Image
A-16 brooding chick........................ Chick alone............................... Switchout

And here’s some video. Sorry I couldn’t zoom in any clearer through the scope, but you can see the chick lift its head briefly in the left side of the nest.

Video by Helen: Baby's Nest: New Chick

................................ A-00 circling

No change at the Carl nest. The birds there are still faithfully incubating.

More excitement ~ the Sauces nest has a chick now too!

So congratulations go to A-27 & A-28!

Posted Image.....Posted Image.....Posted Image
................................................. New Chick

Video by Helen: April 22, 2010: #1. Our first footage of the new chick/A-27 feeding the chick

Video by Helen: Sauces Nest. April 22, 2010. #2. A-27 flying back and forth to the nest.

Video by Helen: Thirty Seconds of Sauces Nest. April 24, 2010. A-27 flies off & shows us the chick and egg

Video by Helen: A Very, Very Short Clip of Sauces Nest. April 25, 2010. View of chick and egg again

(Pictures courtesy of Helen)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
NESTS UPDATES

:clk: Santa Cruz (Rosa) Island Update: April 26 - May 4, 2010 :clk:

Lopez Nest ~ Santa Rosa Island
Checking on the Lopez nest and its resident chick. Sorry the photo isn’t a little better, but the chick looks healthy and seems to be getting well fed.

Posted Image

Don: Some bad news for you all, sorry, but it looks like the Carl nest is a failure this year.

I noted some unusual happenings when I stopped by there on my way back from Sauces, as in two adults and a 2 or 3 year old juvenile all flying together right near the next and no birds on the nest. I went back the next day for a closer look and found the nest empty and just some small egg shards beneath the nest tree.

We don’t know what caused the failure, but this happens and we’ll just have to hope for a more positive result next year.

The nest tree and the empty nest.

Checking on the Sauces nest status on the DVR video has become a regular tour duty and the one chick is looking good.

On the down side, even though they were still incubating it on April 28th, it is unlikely that the second egg is going to hatch. We’ll hope for the best, but it is a bit on the overdue side.

This video is from April 27th.

Video by Don: Feeding time at Sauces

Besides all the monitoring we are doing of the current nests and their occupants, we are still looking for a new nest, or two.

Right now on Cruz we are really trying to figure out if the Yellowbanks pair, A-11 and A-21 are nesting. To this end we are really focusing on the south shore bluffs and canyons from Valley Anchorage to Smuggler’s Cove. This is an area we know well because our housing at the Navy site sits just above it. But it is mostly impossibly steep and hard to access.

Posted Image

(Pictures courtesy of Don and /or IWS Crew)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
TRAP CANYON NEST LOCATED!

Eagle Guy,May 11 2010
05:45 PM
More good news. Don Jones has just located a nest for the Trap Canyon pair on Santa Rosa Island. There is one large chick, which he says looks like it is older than the Pelican Harbor chicks. Kim had found the pair acting defensively last time she was out there, but could not find the nest.
Offline Profile Goto Top

ZetaBoards - Free Forum Hosting
Free Forums. Reliable service with over 8 years of experience.
Learn More · Sign-up for Free
Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Class of 2010 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic