Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Seal Rocks Eagle's Nest 2010/2011; Nestorations to Fledging
Topic Started: Feb 16 2011, 02:33 PM (2,330 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Posted Image
Santa Catalina Island, CA and the active bald eagle breeding territories in 2010.

As you know All Eagles All The Time 2010/2011 is an Archival/History in Videos and Still captures showing the various stages throughout the year in the lives of the Eagles on the EagleCams at Pelican Harbor (PH) Nest ... on Santa Cruz Island and Two Harbors (TH) Nest & West End (WE) Nest ... on Santa Catalina Island.

The other confirmed nests on Catalina Island are at Middle Ranch (MR) ... Pinnacle Rock (PR) ... Rattlesnake Canyon (RS) ... Seal Rocks (SR) and Twin Rocks (TR)

You can find out who is who at each nest by visiting the
Meet The Adult Pairs thread.

Because we still want to follow the events happening on these nests without cameras .. separate threads will be opened for each nest .. and I will be posting the links to the Catalina Updates, written by Dr. Peter Sharpe and Steffani Jijon ... along with the photos taken by Steffani ... so that members can easily access the current information.

This is the thread for Seal Rocks (SR).

Eagles Territories map taken from the Bald Eagle Restoration on the California Channel Islands. January - December 2010 9th Annual Report.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
SR - Seal Rocks Nest - Santa Catalina Island.

K-25/male & K-34/female

Posted Image

[Click on thumbnail to see full size)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATES RE K-25 & K-34

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, February 2, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: This week we started checking on the existing pairs trying to figure out if they are planning on using last year's nests.

On Thursday, I visited Seal Rocks. I sat at a couple different spots and after several hours of looking for the pair they finally flew in from the west and perched near each other.

It looks like both, or at least one of them has completely lost its tags so no way to tell who is who. After a little while, they both flew away and one headed out to the nest, the other one kept flying west it seemed.

Posted Image....... Posted Image

Video by eaglegal: Seal Rocks Area. January 27, 2011

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)

(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
EGG .. CITING NEWS!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I'll start with the biggest news of the week. The Seal Rocks nest has the first eggs of the season!!!

Yesterday, while I went out to check on the Twin Rocks nest, Pete went out to check Seal Rocks. When he came back he showed some pictures and sure enough, there they were, two parents (both untagged may I add) and TWO eggs!

Posted Image.......Posted Image

Pete also made a video of the parents switching places.

Video by Eagle Guy: Seal Rocks Nest. First Eggs of the Year. Feb. 15th, 2011

I haven't checked on the SR nest for several days.

It is mid-February and eagles have been known to lay as early as the 6th so, of course, they laid eggs a bit early. Because they have two already, we don't know when the first one was laid so it'll be a surprise during hatching time.

I'm going out there to check again just in case they have a third egg, if so, we would have an idea on when the first two showed up.

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, February 24, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Last Wednesday I went to check on the Seal Rocks and the Pinnacle Rock nest. When I arrived at SR I found an adult incubating.

[Posted Image

Its mate quickly showed up; they made a switch and I was able to see their two precious eggs.

Video by eaglegal: Seal Rocks Nest. February 16th, 2011. Still 2 Eggs!

Today, I checked on the SR nest really quick and fortunately they did a switch as soon as I got there and I saw both eggs.

Posted Image ....... Posted Image

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MARCH UPDATES

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I have been checking on the Seal Rocks and Pinnacle Rocks nests twice a week.

SR still has 2 eggs and PR one.

Here’s a short video of the SR adult incubating.

Video by eaglegal: Seal Rocks Nest. Monday, February 28th, 2011

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, March 10, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: The Seal Rocks nest still has two eggs and because we don’t know the exact day when K34 laid her first egg, they could be hatching as early as today!

Pete and I will check this nest every other day until they hatch. After that we will check a couple of times a week. I bet you that by the next update I’ll be reporting some hatchings!

Here’s a video of a couple of the visits we’ve made to the SR nest.

Video by eaglegal: Seal Rocks Nest. March 4th & 7th, 2011

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: The Seal Rocks nest doesn’t have a chick yet. Pete just got back from the field confirming two eggs on the nest.

Video by eaglegal: Seal Rocks Nest. No Chicks Yet but Still Two Eggs!

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
CONGRATULATIONS K-25 & K-34 ~ TWINS

eaglegal @ Mar 21 2011
07:26 PM
This is the Seal Rocks Nest. The twin chicks hatched over the weekend and they are the first known bald eagle chicks to hatch this breeding season. Congratulations K25 and K34!

Posted Image

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: We have chicks!!!

Yes, the first chicks of this breeding season hatched over the weekend at the Seal Rocks nest.
We have been checking them every other day so we don’t miss it and I checked last Wednesday and Friday and there was still nothing. Pete checked them on Saturday evening and still nothing. we couldn’t check on Sunday because of the very strong storm that hit Catalina, but when Pete arrived to the SR blind on Monday (having to hike over 7 miles, pretty much from Avalon because all roads were off limits after the storm) he found two chicks!
He thinks one of them hatched shortly before he arrived because it was quite wobbly still.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image

K34 brooding her babies ... Notice the shells around her.

The SR eagles haven’t had a set of twins since 2007 and this is the first time at their current nest. It’s all very exciting!

Video by eaglegal: Seal Rocks Nest. March 18th, 21st & 23rd, 2011. First Chicks of the Season!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: We have checked the Seal Rocks nest every couple of days and we are always amazed at how much they grow from one visit to the next.

............................ Last week

Pete checked them over the weekend and took the best photos of the chicks that we have taken so far!

I was hoping to get some good footage today but it when I got to the blind the marine layer was creeping in so… foggy pictures.

Posted Image

Video by eaglegal: Seal Rocks Nest. March 26th & 30th, 2011

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
APRIL UPDATES

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, April 7, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I have been checking the nests that are not on the web twice a week and here are a few photos of the Seal Rocks chicks .. who are growing by the minute .. and of the adults caring for their offspring.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image

Video by eaglegal: Seal Rocks Nest. April 2nd & 5th, 2011

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Here's some pictures of the Seal Rocks Nest's 2 chicks

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image

Video by eaglegal: Seal Rocks Nest. Catalina's Oldest Chicks!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I checked on the Seal Rocks chicks on Monday and they are as cute as ever, check it out.

Video by eaglegal: Seal Rocks Chicks. Monday, April 18th, 2011

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
CHICKS ARE GROWING FAST!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking on the nests without cameras about twice a day. They have all been striving.

The SR chicks and their parents, looking after them.

Video by eaglegal: Seal Rocks Nest. April 21st & 23rd, 2011

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MAY UPDATE

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: These are the Seal Rocks chicks, the oldest chicks of the season!

Video by eaglegal: Seal Rocks Family. April 29 & May 2, 2011

While I was searching for K-65/PR nest after his swim to shore ... I hiked out to a nice lookout where we can see most of Seal Rocks beach. I scanned the area west of the East End light house and found an adult eagle perched by the coast right below me.

Because of the way it was perched I could not ID the bird until it finally moved about an hour after I had found it.
As it flew off to a pinnacle where they normally perch at on the other edge of their territory, I noticed it had a bit of a wing marker left on its left wing, which happens to be the male, K25.

Shortly after that, the female, K34, spotted me and started chasing me out of her territory. I figured they have had enough intruders for a day so I made my retreat.

She vocalized and soared over me the whole time I was hiking. Too bad I didn’t have my camera out; I could have gotten some really nice close-ups.

Video by eaglegal: Seal Rocks Area. May 3rd, 2011

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
COME OUT, COME OUT WHERE-EVER YOU ARE!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: The eagle chicks on Catalina keep growing and growing; for the Seal Rocks chicks, it’s already time for banding, which is scheduled for next Monday. We’ll be posting pictures and videos of the whole banding process as always.

We have been checking this nest twice a week and I gotta say, last Friday, one of those little rascals gave me a scare. I went out to the blind and right away I noticed that the second black lump was missing from the nest. Both of the adults had been flying around and being heavily harassed by ravens that morning, so I worried that something was up. I filmed some of the chase, which went on for a quite a while, meantime, the second chick was nowhere to be found.

Posted Image

After an hour or so, I decided to hike back to the truck and let Pete know of the missing chick. At this stage in their development, chicks could fall off the nest but would normally be able to crawl or climb their way back onto the nest. Pete decided to come to the site with some gear just in case the chick had fallen out of the nest. I returned to the blind and continued to watch the raven/eagle chase.

Posted Image

About 5minutes before Pete arrived to the blind guess who showed up from the bushes … Yeah, the second chick decided to finally make an appearance. After watching them for a few minutes we both hiked out pleased to see that both chicks were safe and sound.

Posted Image

On Monday, I returned to the blind and found both chicks and one of the parents on the nest. After watching them getting fed and move around the nest, I watched one of the chicks retreat behind that bush on the left where it had been “hiding” the previous time. They probably go out there to get of the sun and cool off for a bit, I guess they are already exploring their “backyards”.

Posted Image

Here’s a long video of both days. The best part is near the end :-)

Video by eaglegal: Seal Rocks Chicks " the explorers " May 6th & 9th, 2011

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MEET .. K-07 .. Official Name: Karis .. & .. K-08 .. Official Name: Scout ~ SEAL ROCKS EAGLETS!

Hatch Date ................. Wingbling Number .............. Fledge Date
March 19/20th 2011 ...... K-07(F) & K-08 (M).............. K-08 ... June 6, 2011 at just 11 weeks
..................................................................................... K-07 ... June 14, 2011 (approx)

Posted Image

K-07 ... was banded as a female .. & .. K-08 ... was banded as a male ... they were correct!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 :clk:

Banding Day at SR Nest: Monday, May 16th, 2011
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATES RE K-07 & K-08

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking regularly on the Seal Rocks chicks, K-07 and K-08.

Posted Image

They are both doing great, flapping their wings and one of them continues to hide behind that bush so we wait until we see both of them and the leave.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 1, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I’ve been checking on the other two active nests Seal Rocks and Rattlesnake and here’s a video of the former one.

Video by eaglegal: Seal Rocks Nest. May 27th & 31st, 2011

On Friday, I visited them and found all four eagles on the nest. After a while, mom left and dad was left to feed his chicks.

Posted Image

And this was yesterday, “kids, home alone”

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
K-08 ~ HAS FLEDGED!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I have been checking on the Seal Rocks chicks and as of last week they were doing just fine, exercising their wings and building up the courage to take the first plunge!
On Monday, I watched K08, the youngest, flap his wings constantly and flying to the nest branch many times.

I recorded some video and decided to take some pictures and in one frame he was there and the next he wasn’t! He flew about 100ft and landed on the hillside. He then tried to make it back to the nest by land but realized it just wasn’t possible, it is very steep! (And we would know, we’ve been there!)

While younger eagles are getting banded in the Northern Island, the oldest Catalina eaglets are fledging!

SR chicks and one of K08’s first flight at just 11 weeks!!!

Video by eaglegal: Seal Rocks Chicks June 6th, 2011

Today, I checked on them again but the marine layer was moving in so it wasn’t very good for taking photos but I did wait until I saw both chicks safely on their nest.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
K-07 ~ HAS FLEDGED!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Another week, another young eagle fledged!
This week we’ve watched both of the Seal Rocks eaglets take their first flights around their territory and watched them improve their landing skills over just a few days.

Last week, I checked them and only found K07 at the nest, it was a while before I found K08 perched on the hillside, on much higher ground than the nest.

......... K-07............................... K-08

One of the parents was in the area but fortunately did not see me. I took these pictures from inside the blind

Posted Image

Yesterday, I checked them again but found no one at the nest, though I could hear them right below. After a while, I found them both on one of their parents’ perches.

After about an hour, one of the parents flew to the nest to deliver some food K08 went after it. K08 landed on the nest and grabbed the prize and took it back to the rock, though I think he dropped it before he arrived. K07 stayed put.

It was really entertaining to watch these two interact; K07 kept moving around at the top, stretching and exercising her wings and, of course, hitting K08 on the head with her tail. K08 kept grabbing K07’s tail feathers and shaking his head instead of moving a foot or so either way so that neither one of them would be bothered. Who needs TV around here!

Here’s a video of both days.

Video by eaglegal: Seal Rocks Chicks. June 10th & 14th, 2011

We will be checking on these fledglings every other day, making sure they don’t get in trouble and their parents continue to care for them.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
CHECKING ON THE FLEDGLINGS!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: The Seal Rocks chicks are also doing very well, getting better at flying and exploring further as well.

I took several pictures of them on the various spots I watch them land and take off from. One of the parents perching near by.

And this was yesterday at the nest.

I also made a video from last week and this week, Enjoy!

Video by eaglegal: Seal Rocks Fledglings. K07 and K08 June 16-21, 2011

Offline Profile Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Class of 2011 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic