Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Seal Rocks Eagle's Nest 2010/2011; Nestorations to Fledging
Topic Started: Feb 16 2011, 02:33 PM (2,335 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATE ON THE FLEDGLINGS!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking on the other four fledglings on the island from the Seal Rocks and the Rattlesnake nests. They are all doing well, flying like pros now and exploring a bit further each day while still confined to their territory.

I took some pictures of places they like to perch while I watch them and hear them beg to their parents for food.

Looking for K-07. 1) No zoom ... 2) Through the scope

Posted Image.......Posted Image

This is K-08 flying high!

The SR chicks have been assigned names and they are quite appropriate considering their personalities.
K-07 is now Grace. This is also the name of K-34, her mother!

K-08 is now Scout. He was the first chick to fledge on the Channel Islands this year and just at eleven weeks of age; he is an early explorer!

The other day, K-08, honoring his name, flew right over me to scout the area where I watch them from and he checked me out too! I wish I had a better camera because he flew really close to me.

Posted Image

Hereís K-07 on Monday

Posted Image

I made a video of the visits as well.

Video by eaglegal: Seal Rocks Fledglings. K-08 - Scout & K-07 - Grace. June 24th & 29th, 2011

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)

(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
FLEDGLINGS SOARING & EXPLORING!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, July 6, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: The Seal Rocks eaglets continue to explore their parentsí territory going just a little bit further every time.
Last week I checked on them and watch them fly from one end of the territory to the other and perching at different spots along the way.

...... K07 (Grace)................... K08 (Scout)

Hereís s video Scout returning to the nest and begging for food

Video by eaglegal: Seal Rocks. June 30th, 2011

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
FLEDGLINGS STILL AROUND!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Another week has gone by and I am pleased to report that all eight fledglings are doing very well! None of them have left their territories yet, as their parents continue to care for them.

For the Seal Rocks fledglings, Karis and Scout (K07 and K08 respectively), life at home is almost gone. K07 was renamed this week from Grace to Karis (Grace in Greek) because her mother is named Grace.

But not yet, so here are some images of these two explorers.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image

....... No zoom.................... Zoomed all the way

....... Karis................................ Scout

One of the SR parents preening.

Posted Image

Here is Karis, hanging out on the hillside closer to the water.

Video by eaglegal: Seal Rocks Eaglets Karis and Scout. July 8th & 12th, 2011

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
K-07 & K-08 STILL EXPLORING!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking the Rattlesnake and Seal Rocks nests 2-3 times per week. I havenít really had a problem spotting the SR chicks; the RS chicks however, have been making it very difficult for me to see them.

The Seal Rocks chicks move around very often and because there are very few tall trees to hide under in this area, they always end up landing on the slope or on rocky ledges where they are easily spotted.

This is K08 (aka Scout).......... And this is K07 (aka Karis) getting dive-bombed by a gull.
Posted Image.............................. Posted Image

.............................This is them just hanging out together.
Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image

......................................Posted Image
...........................K07 on the left and K08 on the right

Video by eaglegal: Seal Rocks Chicks. K07 & K08. July 15th & 19th, 2011

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
KARIS and SCOUT STARTING TO EXPLORE THEIR ISLAND!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Hi everybody,

Chicks have started exploring outside of the outskirts territories this week.
The other day I checked on the Seal Rocks chicks and was only able to find K07 at first. I looked around and hiked to another point trying to find K08 but nothing.

Posted Image

After a while, I started getting a weak signal from K08, who was returning from the Pinnacle Rock area, which is west from his nest.

I wasnít surprised he would be the first one to venture farther away, after all, he is a ďscouterĒ!
Looking west, Church Rock in the back.

Posted Image

Hereís a video of K07 and K08 flying together on Friday. I watched them ride a thermal for several minutes, and they did not flap their wings once, they fly beautifully and effortlessly!

Video by eaglegal: Seal Rocks Chicks. July 22nd, 2011

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MEETING OTHER FLEDGLINGS!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, August 3, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Hi everybody,

The chicks are on the move!
This week, many of the young eagles have taken trips outside of their territories and the chasing-chicks-around-the-island game has begun!

On Thursday, I surveyed the Seal Rocks area and after a while I spotted K07, Karis, flying together with one of the SR adults.
K08, Scout, was not in the area. After a little while, I spotted another juvenile flying along with K07 but it wasnít K08.

I scanned through the frequencies and, to my surprise, it was K12, Aahana! Itís just about a month since she fledged so sheís right on schedule; she sure ventured as far as she could on her first trip away from home.

Later that afternoon I picked up the signal from K08, Scout, coming from the Palisades on the back side of the island.

I made a video of these sightings.

Video by eaglegal: K07 and K12 Flying on the East End. July 28th, 2011.

On Monday, I went to the SR area again and neither on of the SR birds were there, only K12.
I didnít get a change to photograph her this time but she went from the SR canyon to the quarry so sheís enjoying her time out there.

I searched the east end, the Empire Landing area and parts of the south of the island but didnít find the SR chicks.

Posted Image

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, August 11, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: We have had quite a busy week trying to keep up with the youngsters who are exploring all ends of the island.

I have been conducting surveys trying to cover as much ground as physically possible in one day, however, there are times when the eagles decide to go to those areas I donít get to visit in that particular day; and this happens often!

On Tuesday, Pete and I headed out to the interior separately to try to cover the whole island in one day, and it turned out to be a very successful plan!

Pete covered the east end and later the west end while I covered the north and the southern parts of the island.

Right away, Pete spotted K12 (aka Aahana) hanging out by the dump near Avalon.
Throughout the day, Pete and I got moving signals on every single bird except for K07 (aka Karis). I have been searching for her for weeks unable to even pick up a signal. The last time I saw her was on July 25th. By now, it is obvious that she has either left the island or her transmitter has completely failed.

While I was in the south, I got moving signals on K08, K15, K18 and also K12.

By the time Pete arrived to the west end, all six eagles (K12, K13, K14, K15, K18 and K19) had made it out there as well. It was pretty fogged out for most of the day at the places where I went so not much to photograph.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Seven out of the eight 2011 youngsters continue to explore Catalina in search of food, perfecting their flights and mingling with other juveniles from different nests. Pete and I try to keep up with their travels!

As Pete drove on the west end ridges, he picked up the signal of all the juveniles except for K08. Luckily, I had picked out Scoutís signal the day before at Haypress reservoir, so everyone was accounted for!

On Monday, I headed out to the west end again and managed to get signal on all the birds along the way (except for K07 of course).

It was quite foggy so I wondered if Iíd be able to see anyone. I know the birds were moving though because the signals where not coming from the same locations as I drove back home.

Posted Image

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, August 24, 2011 :clk:

Steffani:Another week of keeping up with the juveniles and their travels on the island.

Pete has been off island this week and I have surveyed the whole island a couple of times and have managed to get moving signal on all the youngsters .. except for K07, of course .. but unfortunately no visuals.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I have continued to radiotrack and search for the remaining seven juveniles left on the island. I donít get to see them very often but I have picked up their signals in numerous places. They have been traveling all over the island.

I have picked up signals from K08, K15, K19, K12 and K18 still keeps making regular visits to the nest.

K13 and K14 have been missing (or on the opposite side of the island) for over a week.

(Click on the thumbnails to see full size)

Offline Profile Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Class of 2011 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic