Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Pinnacle Rock Eagle's Nest 2010/2011; Sad News ~ Nest Failed
Topic Started: Feb 18 2011, 04:20 PM (2,015 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Posted Image
Santa Catalina Island, CA and the active bald eagle breeding territories in 2010.

As you know All Eagles All The Time 2010/2011 is an Archival/History in Videos and Still captures showing the various stages throughout the year in the lives of the Eagles on the EagleCams at Pelican Harbor (PH) Nest ... on Santa Cruz Island and Two Harbors (TH) Nest & West End (WE) Nest ... on Santa Catalina Island.

The other confirmed nests on Catalina Island are at Middle Ranch (MR) ... Pinnacle Rock (PR) ... Rattlesnake Canyon (RS) ... Seal Rocks (SR) and Twin Rocks (TR)

You can find out who is who at each nest by visiting the
Meet The Adult Pairs thread.

Because we still want to follow the events happening on these nests without cameras .. separate threads will be opened for each nest .. and I will be posting the links to the Catalina Updates, written by Dr. Peter Sharpe and Steffani Jijon ... along with the photos taken by Steffani ... so that members can easily access the current information.

This is the thread for Pinnacle Rock (PR).

Eagles Territories map taken from the Bald Eagle Restoration on the California Channel Islands. January - December 2010 9th Annual Report.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
PR - Pinnacle Rock Nest - Santa Catalina Island.

K-65/male & K-56/female

Posted Image

(Click on thumbnail to see full size)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATES RE K-65 & K-56

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, February 2, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: This week we started checking on the existing pairs trying to figure out if they are planning on using last year's nests.

On Friday, I spent all day looking for the Pinnacle Rock eagles but was unsuccessful, they never came to their nest nor did I see them fly in the vicinity.

Posted Image
........PR nest

Yesterday, I went back to PR area and did not see any changes to the nest or any visits. I did however spotted a pair of adults flying together along the ridge about 1mile west from the nest. I will be heading out to this area tomorrow and see if I can find the eagles again and figure out what's going on with this pair.

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, February 10, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Last Thursday, I went to the Pinnacle Rock area and hiked the next ridge over from the nest. I waited for about 5 hours before I saw anything.
I was scanning the side of the Palisades and suddenly, I turned around and I saw two adults coming my way from the other side. I waited until they got closer to ID them but they were flying too high. I did notice that one of them was missing a RT wing marker and I remember K65 was missing his tag so I assume this is still K65 and K56.

Posted Image

Video by eaglegal: The Pinnacle Rock Pair. Thursday, February 3, 2011

On Monday, I went back to the PR nest area and expected to see at least one of the adults but all I saw was an empty nest.

I'll keep looking for the PR pair and confirm a nesting spot.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I did finally find the Pinnacle Rock pair. They were flying and perched together at a couple different places.

Posted Image

After I had been watching them for a while, the male flew directly to the nest and stayed there for a few minutes. I noticed he spotted me too so from now on, now that we think that they will be using the same nest, I will be watching them from the blind just a bit farther down the hill.

Posted Image.......Posted Image

After being on the nest for 20 minutes or so, he flew back to his mate and they stayed there the rest of the afternoon.

Posted Image
Female/left and male/right.

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)

(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
EGG .. CITING NEWS!

Eagle Guy,Feb 17 2011
08:41 AM
The time is near for more egg-laying. Birds spent much of the night at the Two Harbors and West End nests, and our Pinnacle Rock birds have their first egg. Total egg count to date: 3
[/color]

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, February 24, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Last Wednesday I went to check on the Seal Rocks and the Pinnacle Rock nest. I found the female incubating!
After an hour of sitting out there in the cold wind, the male arrived to the nest and delivered a food item for her and I was able to see one egg in the bowl, it was hard because of all the wind but it was worth the wait.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image

Video by eaglegal: Pinnacle Rock Nest. February 16th, 2011. First Egg

A couple of days later, I visited the PR nest again and this time there were two eggs in the bowl.

Video by eaglegal: Pinnacle Rock Nest. February 18th, 2011. Two Eggs!

You can clearly see the eggs and both tags of the parents, which are K56 and K65 (ladies first!)

On Sunday I checked the PR nest but was unable to see nest bowl. Very, very windy day!

Video by eaglegal: Pinnacle Rock Nest. February 20th, 2011.

Today I checked PR again and I was crushed when I realized that they only had one egg left. Over the past few days they have apparently lost one and there's no way to know which one.

I didn't have enough time during the switch to take a picture because as soon as I saw the bowl, I stopped filming and zoomed in to make sure there was really just one egg.

Posted Image

Video by eaglegal: Pinnacle Rock Nest. February 24th, 2011. Back to One Egg ...

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MARCH UPDATES

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I have been checking on the Seal Rocks and Pinnacle Rock nests twice a week. SR still has 2 eggs and PR one.

Now a short video of the PR pair making a parent switch.
Switches are probably the best times to confirm the number of eggs on a nest because the adult who is leaving normally steps aside from the bowl so that the other eagle can take over incubation.
These eagles made two switches while I was there, and I was only able to see the bowl for a split second.

Video by eaglegal: Pinnacle Rock Nest. Monday, February 28th. 2011

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, March 10, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: The Pinnacle Rock nest are still incubating their single egg!

Video by eaglegal: Pinnacle Rock Nest. Sunday, March 6th, 2011

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Weíve checked the Pinnacle Rock nest and they continue to incubate their single egg.

Posted Image

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I have checked on the Pinnacle Rock nest a couple of times this week and they continue to incubate their single egg. Keep your fingers crossed for this nest!

Posted Image

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
SAD NEWS ~ REMAINING EGG LOST.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: This week we have checked on the Pinnacle Rocks nest pretty much every day. If their remaining egg was going to hatch, it should have happened by the end of last week, so as that date approached and we didnít see any indication of it about to hatch we started to worry.

.....Thursday......................... Friday........................... Saturday.

I checked the nest on Saturday and they still had their single egg, but when Pete checked them on Sunday, the egg was gone.

Both of the adults seemed to incubating but when they got up there was nothing underneath. I checked them again this morning and I watched the female perch facing the ocean. After a couple of hours she took off and I was reassured that there was nothing left on the nest. :(

Hereís a video of the last week and the last view of this nest for the year.
It is unlikely that they will lay eggs again this season given that they incubated for over 35days, but, because you never know, we will be checking on them weekly to see if itís still empty.

Video by eaglegal: Pinnacle Rock Nest. March 24-30th, 2011

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
APRIL UPDATES

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, April 7, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I have been checking the nests that are not on the web twice a week and Iíve checked on the Pinnacle Rock nest but have not seen a sign of it being used again.

Iíll keep checking on them weekly though.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I have also checked on the Pinnacle Rock nest and while Iíve spotted one of the adults in the area, I havenít seen any indication of them trying to breed again this season.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MAY UPDATE

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Life is never dull around here.

Yesterday morning, Pete and I were working in the office when someone let us know that they had seen an eagle with the number 65 in the water. Immediately, we thought of the West End chick from 2008, K65, but after we found out that it was an adult we assumed it was the male of the Pinnacle Rock nest.

A couple of people that were fishing on the back side of the island in the Seal Rocks area, witnessed three eagles interact in the air, two of those eventually locked talons and ended up crashing in the water. One of them flew off unharmed and the other one, almost fully submerged, had to swim ashore, some 300ft.

Mr. William Barnes captured some of his swim on camera and also took a few photos.

..................Posted Image.........Posted Image

Hereís a short video of K65, (a.k.a. Quazar) flying ashore. Quite impressive and rarely seen footage! Thanks Mr. Barnes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZkURYCXqKQ...player_embedded

The water is still cold around here and it takes a lot of energy for an eagle to swim, so I bet this poor guy was absolutely exhausted after the whole ordeal.

In the later afternoon, I went out looking for it, just to make sure that it wasnít lying down on the beach or injured somehow. I hiked out to a nice lookout where we can see most of Seal Rocks beach but I didnít find anything other than a bunch of sea lions and one dead sea lion on the west side of the beach.

Scanning the beach.

Posted Image

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
NEW MALE NEXT SEASON?

Kate5555,Jul 12 2011
02:16 PM
PR --  Pinnacle Rock Pair - from July 7th.

Posting this for Pescychick as she is at work and not able to be online:

While she was boating around the Island last week, she got these great pictures of K56(f) and the new male, K73

If you have seen the video (05/01/11) of K65 swimming to shore, the fisherman that filmed that commented they had seen an aerial battle take place and K65 ended up in the water.

When Dr. Sharpe saw these pictures, he commented that the one shows them mating so this confirms that K73 has taken over as mate to K56. 

We wish K65 all the best and may be continue to be safe. 

<:::  <:::  <:::  Great Job Capturing these pix Pescy! ! !

PR - Possible New Mate for K56

Cumbrian,Jul 12 2011
04:29 PM
PR Nest ...

Thanks Kate and pescychick for the photos/video of the possible change of mate on this nest.

Looks like K-73 ... aka Wind ... one of the WE triplets from 2007 has decided to return home!

It will be interesting to see if the pair remain together into the new season.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
K-73 .. aka WIND .. RETURNS TO CATALINA.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I have something quite interesting to report. If you recall, a few months ago the male from the Pinnacle Rocks nest K65 (Quazar) had a ďdisputeĒ with one of the SR adults and ended up having to swim ashore.

Well, his mate, K56, was recently spotted hanging out with a younger male, K73 (Sun, Moon, Earth??? Somebody help me out here), one of the WE from 2007.

.......... K-73 .............................. K-56 ....................... K-73 and K-56

Yesterday, I went out to investigate and after a couple of hours, I watched K73 visit the PR nest.

Scanning the coastline.

Posted Image

K73 on the PR nest.

Video by eaglegal: K-73, one of the 2007 WE Triplets Visits the Pinnacle Rocks Nest. July 12th, 2011

I did not see K56 or K65 around.

We wonder what happened to the older male and if this could mean another switch in mates. Or maybe, we would see Quazar come back next breeding season and reclaiming his female and his nest from K73, just like Superman (K01) did this year with K51.

Stayed tuned to find out!

(Pictures courtesy of Steffani and Carole/pescychick)

Offline Profile Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Class of 2011 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic