Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Twin Rocks Eagle's Nest 2010/2011; Sad News ~ Nest Failed.
Topic Started: Feb 21 2011, 07:25 AM (1,835 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Posted Image
Santa Catalina Island, CA and the active bald eagle breeding territories in 2010.

As you know All Eagles All The Time 2010/2011 is an Archival/History in Videos and Still captures showing the various stages throughout the year in the lives of the Eagles on the EagleCams at Pelican Harbor (PH) Nest ... on Santa Cruz Island and Two Harbors (TH) Nest & West End (WE) Nest ... on Santa Catalina Island.

The other confirmed nests on Catalina Island are at Middle Ranch (MR) ... Pinnacle Rock (PR) ... Rattlesnake Canyon (RS) ... Seal Rocks (SR) and Twin Rocks (TR)

You can find out who is who at each nest by visiting the
Meet The Adult Pairs thread.

Because we still want to follow the events happening on these nests without cameras .. separate threads will be opened for each nest .. and I will be posting the links to the Catalina Updates, written by Dr. Peter Sharpe and Steffani Jijon ... along with the photos taken by Steffani ... so that members can easily access the current information.

This is the thread for Twin Rocks (TR).

Eagles Territories map taken from the Bald Eagle Restoration on the California Channel Islands. January - December 2010 9th Annual Report.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
TR - Twin Rocks Nest - Santa Catalina Island.

K-33/male & K-17/female

Posted Image
Nest is circled

(Click on thumbnail to see full size)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATES ON K-33 & K-17

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, February 2, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: This week we started checking on the existing pairs trying to figure out if they are planning on using last year's nests.

On Sunday, I planned on checking the Twin Rocks area but I got to the site it started raining on me pretty hard. On Monday, I went to Twin Rocks again and waited for hours until one eagle finally arrived to the nest.

Posted Image

Video by eaglegal: Twin Rocks Nest. January 31, 2011

On the video I tried to show where the new camera sits on but it's kind of hard to see. Maybe this picture will explain it better. Left arrow: camera, right arrow: nest.

Posted Image

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, February 10, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: On Tuesday, I checked out Twin Rocks and Rattlesnake. At the first site I spotted one of the adults perched on the slope right above the TR nest.

Posted Image....... Posted Image

After several hours of staring at him/her not do anything at all, I decided to leave and check out Rattlesnake.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Yesterday I went out to check on Twin Rocks but it was too foggy to see anything so I decided to give it some time and went to feed the eagles instead.

It had cleared out a lot by the time I went back so I sat at the observation spot a little while and waited until both adults came onto the nest and mated.

Posted Image

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, February 24, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: On Thursday, I checked on the Twin Rocks nest.
There was nobody around when I got there but after a while one of the adults arrived and started working on a nest bowl.

Posted Image.......Posted Image

Video by eaglegal: Twin Rocks Nest. February 20th, 2011

I've checked TR twice again since then and they have no eggs yet. This is one of the TR adults perched on their roost right below the nest a couple of days ago.

Posted Image

And this is today.

Posted Image

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)

(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MARCH UPDATES

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I’ve visited the Twin Rocks area several times this week but I haven’t seen them incubating anything yet.
Sometimes they are perched on the ridge ... Sometimes perched on the nest moving sticks around ... And sometimes they’re not there at all.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
EGG .. CITING NEWS!

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, March 10, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I have great news about Twin Rocks.

The other day Pete and I went to the TR cam tower to check if the camera still worked. If you recall, we ran a cable from way, way below up to the tower and ended up being about 70ft short. Well, Pete added another section so it can reach the tower and now we have the signal being sent to the Long Point ridge, which happens to be right next to the road!

While we were out there fixing the camera we got a quick look at their first egg and a couple of days later they had two!

... Male incubating............ Female Incubating

Video by eaglegal: Twin Rocks Nest. March 6th, 8th & 10th, 2011

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Last week I ran out of time to post these pictures of the Twin Rocks area.

Posted Image.............Posted Image............... Posted Image................... Posted Image
Pete fixing the TR cam.......View from the TR tower...... Adult perched way below us...... Mini recorder/solar panel

Video by eaglegal: Twin Rocks Nest. Also Two Eggs!

Posted Image

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: The Twin Rocks eagles continue to incubate their two little eggs.

Here is a video of them over the past week

Video by eaglegal: Twin Rocks Nest.

Remember last week we mentioned there was a 4-year-old hanging around the Empire Landing area, which happens to be very close to the TR territory?
Well, Pete thought that maybe it was one of the TR adults given that we haven’t been able to actually read their tags and knowing that eagles often switch mates while keeping the same nest, we went out to confirm it. After a long day of waiting around a couple different lookouts along the coast I spotted one eagle whose tag had two round numbers as in K33 but it landed behind a bush and really far away.

After a while, I tracked down another eagle and when it finally landed on the beach to feed on some feathered prey, I read a K17 on the tag.

Can you see her on that beautiful coastline?

So far it seems that the TR pair still consists of the same birds from last year, so what about that unknown sub-adult that’s hanging around near by? We will try to find out soon!

In the meantime enjoy this video of my survey and the sighting of K17, the oldest known bald eagle on the island at 27-years-old!

Video by eaglegal: Survey and Sighting of K-17

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: The Twin Rocks nest still has their two eggs.

Here’s a short video.

Video by eaglegal: Twin Rocks Nest. March 29th, 2011

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
APRIL UPDATES

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, April 7, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Here’s a video of the Twin Rocks nest. They still have their two eggs and the first one is due to hatch this weekend so I will hopefully have some great news for next week’s report as well.

Video by eaglegal: Twin Rocks Nest. April 1st & 4th, 2011

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: The youngest eggs belong to the Twin Rocks nest and they were due to hatch this past weekend.

I have been checking them regularly and here is a video of the nest checks. These eggs would need to hatch in the next couple of days or so.

Video by eaglegal: Twin Rocks Nest. April 8th, 11th & 12th, 2011

I sure hope Twin Rocks hatches their eggs or at least one of them.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
SAD NEWS .. NEST FAILED.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: If you remember from last update, the Twin Rocks nest was the last one out of all 7 Catalina nests to lay eggs and therefore the last ones expected to hatch.

I wish I had better news but I’m afraid they have failed this year again.

I have been gone for most of the week but Pete checked them over the weekend and at that point they still had their two eggs.

Posted Image

I checked on them again yesterday and watched them for over an hour, because the adult did not move from the nesting bowl so I couldn’t see what was under it, however, we know the hatching date for those eggs is at least 10 days over due so, if they’d have been viable, they would have hatched by now.

Video by eaglegal: Twin Rocks Nest. April 19th, 2011

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: As we mentioned on our last update, the Twin Rocks pair failed this year but, for some reason, the female continues to incubate her two eggs.

Video by eaglegal: Twin Rocks Nest. April 23rd, 2011

(Picture courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MAY UPDATE

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: The Twin Rocks pair, as most of you know, failed to hatch their eggs. However, the adults continue to incubate them even though they are more than 3 weeks overdue.

Collecting the eggs was considered at one point but that would have required a great deal of climbing and we would have also had to scare off the adults in order to get to the nest and that would have been a huge disturbance, which could discourage them from breeding on the same nest (or same area even) next year, and we certainly don’t want them to stop trying.

Video by eaglegal: Twin Rocks Nest. Still Trying ... ):

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: We have continued to check on the Twin Rocks nest, and to our surprise, they are still incubating! Going on 10 weeks now…

Video by eaglegal: Twin Rocks Nest. Still Sitting on Two Eggs.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Today, I went to check on the Twin Rocks nest.
They have been incubating their eggs for way too long. Today, I finally saw an empty nest. The TR eagles decided to give up but hopefully this doesn’t discourage them from trying to breed nest year again.

Posted Image

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date.
Offline Profile Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Class of 2011 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic