Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Rattlesnake Canyon Eagle's Nest 2010/2011; Nestorations to Fledging
Topic Started: Feb 21 2011, 11:37 AM (2,395 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Posted Image
Santa Catalina Island, CA and the active bald eagle breeding territories in 2010.

As you know All Eagles All The Time 2010/2011 is an Archival/History in Videos and Still captures showing the various stages throughout the year in the lives of the Eagles on the EagleCams at Pelican Harbor (PH) Nest ... on Santa Cruz Island and Two Harbors (TH) Nest & West End (WE) Nest ... on Santa Catalina Island.

The other confirmed nests on Catalina Island are at Middle Ranch (MR) ... Pinnacle Rock (PR) ... Rattlesnake Canyon (RC) ... Seal Rocks (SR) and Twin Rocks (TR)

You can find out who is who at each nest by visiting the
Meet The Adult Pairs thread.

Because we still want to follow the events happening on these nests without cameras .. separate threads will be opened for each nest .. and I will be posting the links to the Catalina Updates, written by Dr. Peter Sharpe and Steffani Jijon ... along with the photos taken by Steffani ... so that members can easily access the current information.

This is the thread for Rattlesnake Canyon (RC).

Eagles Territories map taken from the Bald Eagle Restoration on the California Channel Islands. January - December 2010 9th Annual Report.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
RC - Rattlesnake Canyon Nest - Santa Catalina Island.

K-80/male & K-47/female

Posted Image
Rattlesnake Canyon

(Click on thumbnail to see full size)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATE RE K-80 & K-47

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, February 2, 2011 :clk:

Steffani:This week we started checking on the existing pairs trying to figure out if they are planning on using last year's nests.

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, February 10, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: On Tuesday, I checked out Twin rocks and Rattlesnake but when I arrived at the site the nest was empty, and it remained empty until I left.

Posted Image

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)

(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
EGG .. CITING NEWS!

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, February 24, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: When I checked on Rattlesnake I saw one of the adults finally incubating.
Because of all the rain we haven't had access to the road where our RS receiver sits so I have just been watching through a scope from the ridge.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image

On Sunday, I visited them again to see if she, K47, had laid another egg but when the male K80, arrived, they switched and not once was I able to see the bowl much less one egg or two. The male is left to incubate while the female heads out to the ocean.

Posted Image.......Posted Image

Yesterday I checked them twice, in the morning and later right before heading home and I was finally able to confirm two eggs!

Posted Image

Video by eaglegal: Rattlesnake Nest. February 20th & 23rd, 2011

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MARCH UPDATES

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I checked on the Rattlesnake nest as well and after a long time of staring at the screen, K80 finally moved around and I was able to see 2 eggs.

Checking on one could take about 20 minutes or 4 hours, one never knows.

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, March 10, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Pete checked on the Rattlesnake nest on Thursday, and after about 2 hours of watching the monitor, the female finally moved away enough for him to see their two eggs.

Posted Image

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking on the Rattlesnake Nest a couple of times a week. They still have two eggs and hereís a video of their incubation.

Video by eaglegal: Rattlesnake Nest. Still Two Eggs!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: The Rattlesnake nest still has their two eggs as well. This particular nest is easy to check but sometimes it takes a while. Because the camera pretty much looks down onto the nest, whenever the adults roll their eggs, it is hard for us to see the entire bowl. It is on the switches that they ďlet usĒ see whatís underneath them.

Hereís a video of what Iím talking about and keep in mind Iíve edited many rolls out!

Video by eaglegal: RS Nest

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
CONGRATULATIONS K-47 & K-80 ON YOUR FIRST CHICK!

Posted on the IWS Facebook ...

A chick has hatched at the Rattlesnake nest on Catalina since yesterday afternoon.

Video by Eagle Guy:
1st Rattlesnake Chick .. March 26/11

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: We have checked the Rattlesnake almost every day hoping to see two chicks at the nest; on Tuesday we finally saw it!

Hereís a video of the RC nest when there was still just one chick and one egg on the nest.

Video by eaglegal:
Rattlesnake Nest. March 25th-28th, 2011

And now a video of the female feeding her two little chicks!
Video by eaglegal:
Rattlesnake Nest. K-47 Feeding Her TWO Chicks. March 29th, 2011

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
APRIL UPDATES

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, April 7, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I have been checking the nests that are not on the web twice a week and here are some videos of the Rattlesnake chicks, who look so different from one day to the next.

Video by eaglegal: Rattlesnake Nest. March 31st, 2011

Video by eaglegal: Rattlesnake Nest. April 4th, 2011

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Here's a video of the Rattlesnake Nest's 2 chicks.

Video by eaglegal: Rattlesnake Nest. April 8th & 11th, 2011

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Hereís a video of the Rattlesnake chicks.

Video by eaglegal: Rattlesnake Chicks. Monday, April 18th, 2011

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
CHICKS ARE GROWING FAST!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking on the nests without cameras about twice a day. They have all been striving.

Now itís the Rattlesnake chicks to shine

Video by eaglegal: Rattlesnake Nest. April 22nd & 25th, 2011

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MAY UPDATE

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 4, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Here is a video of the Rattlesnake chicks. Lately, I have been spending longer periods of time checking them because they play this hide and seek game on me; they hide, I seek!
Also notice how they scare me by perching right at the very edge of the nestÖ those dare devils.

Video by eaglegal: Rattlesnake Nest. April 28 & May 2, 2011

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I have been checking on the Rattlesnake chicks twice a week as well and they are both doing fine.

Their banding date, along with the Two Harborsí chick, is not for a couple more weeks. Weíll let you know the exact dates as they get closer.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: We have also checked on the Rattlesnake chicks twice a week and we will be banding them next Tuesday.

Video by eaglegal: Rattlesnake Nest. May 13th, 2011

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MEET .. K-15 .. Official Name: Ho'ihoulala .. & .. K-19 .. Official Name: Robben ~ RATTLESNAKE CANYON EAGLETS!

Hatch Date ............................... Wingbling Number .......................... Fledge Date
March 26/11 & March 29/11 .......... K-15(F) & K-19 (M) .............. Both Fledged on June 18 or 19/11 approx.

Posted Image

K-15 & K-19 ... both banded as females ... they got one wrong ... K-19 is a Boy!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 25, 2011 :clk:

Banding Day at RC Nest: Tuesday, May 24th, 2011
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATES RE K-15 & K-19

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 1, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Iíve been checking on the other two active nests Seal Rocks and Rattlesnake

I wish I would be showing you a nice clip of them on the nest but guess what? The day after banding, the nest camera broke! We recorded some video on banding day and everything worked fine that afternoon, but the next morning we were getting sounds and a black screen! We donít know what the problem is but evidently is somewhere where we cannot fix, as it would be closer to the nest so from now on, we can only check on these chicks by hiking the ridges and spying on them from far away using a spotting scope.

Yesterday, seen from the opposite ridge.

Posted Image

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 8, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: These are the Rattlesnake chicks at about 10 weeks of age.

Video by eaglegal: Rattlesnake Chicks. Monday, June 6th, 2011

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: We have also begun checking on the Rattlesnake chicks more frequently as their time to fledge has arrived.

Last Friday
Posted Image

On Monday, I checked them again and only found one of them at the nest so I waited until the other one returned from its ďhidingĒ place from an adjacent branch.

Posted Image

Iím on my way to check on them again and find out if they have gone from branching to flying! If I see one of them fly Iíll try to get it on video and put it on next weekís update!

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
K-15 & K-19 HAVE FLEDGED!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Another week has gone by and TWO more Catalina Eagles have fledged!

This time it was K19ís and K15ís time to take the plunge from their 30ft-tall tree into their luscious canyon.
They were both up on their nest last Friday morning, by Monday they were nowhere to be found. It took me two days to finally locate them both and I did not want to leave the area until I saw them fly in and out of the nest and getting fed by their parents.

Last yearsí RS chicks died soon after they fledged for unknown reasons, so this is basically K47ís and K80ís first time caring for fledglings and we want to make sure it all goes according to plan.

RS nest seen from the top of the ridge ... Notice parent perched on snag.

This was yesterday. K19 flew from the bottom of the canyon and perched by the nest for the longest time. K19 begs a lot!

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image

K47 finally brought him some food to the nest. After a while, K15 showed up from the bushes and fly right by me.

I made a couple of videos from last week and the last couple of days. I split the video into two parts and itís still quite long but Iím sure all of you would enjoy watching the lives of chicks outside of the camera view.

Video by eaglegal: Rattlesnake Family. Part 1 June 16-21, 2011

Video by eaglegal: Rattlesnake Family. Part 2 June 16-21, 2011

This is K80 calling out to his family.

Posted Image

This is K15, after his ďlandingĒ you just saw on the video.

Posted Image

Like any young fledgling, they are having some issues with landing, but we know they will get better; itís just a matter of time. And because they are not experienced yet, we will be checking on them three times a week, just in case.

Have I mentioned they picked out a beautiful canyon on the island? Right below their nest tree thereís a running creek with many little waterfalls and lots of interesting riparian plants.

With water comes mosquitoes and poison oak so itís not so fun hiking through it but it sure is pretty!

We will do our best tracking them down and showing you the areas they like to explore because pretty soon they will leave those nests and we wont be able to monitor them so closely like we do through the nest cams.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
CHECKING ON THE FLEDGLINGS!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 29, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking on the other four fledglings on the island from the Seal Rocks and the Rattlesnake nests. They are all doing well, flying like pros now and exploring a bit further each day while still confined to their territory.

I took some pictures of places they like to perch while I watch them and hear them beg to their parents for food.

The Rattlesnake fledglings sometimes make me wait for hours because there are so many trees and bushes they could be ďhidingĒ under that I basically just have to sit at this one spot and scan and wait. They do eventually make an appearance.

This is K-47 and her son K-19

This is K-15 on a Catalina Island Cherry tree ... And a couple of days later.

These chicks have been the last ones to be named.
K-19 is Ho'ihoulala (hoe ee hoe lala; Lala for short). It means 'return of the branch.' Native Hawaiians considered a tree as an image for genealogy. This 'branch' was in danger of dying out completely. In future generations this particular species will be recognized as a symbol of triumph over extinction, with the help of man.

K-15 is Robben. It is a variant of Robert (Old German) and Robin (English), and the meaning of Robben is "bright fame". It is also associated with the robin, the harbinger of spring and a symbol of rebirth.

Here is a video of these two.

Video by eaglegal: Rattlesnake Fledglings. K-15 - Ho'ihoulala & K-19 - Robben. June 24th & 28th, 2011

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
FLEDGLINGS STAYING COOL!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, July 6, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Because eagles donít ďknowĒ holidays, on Monday, Pete headed out to SR to check on the youngsters while I went to the Rattlesnake area and checked on K15 and K19.

Their canyon has plenty of relatively tall trees and bushes that provide nice shaded areas for them to perch on, itís not ideal for finding them but Iím glad they can find places to stay away from the heat. Here are a few images for you

Can you see the eaglet?

Posted Image

Me neither! The eaglet flew behind that bush and I didnít get a chance to see who it was. Thatís why I had to wait until one of the parents arrived to the area, which encourages the youngsters to move to a more exposed area so I can read their tags.

Well, the bird never moved BUT the other one, who happened to be K19 (Robben), did appear from the opposite side and perched at the bottom of the canyon.

K15 (Hoíihoulala) never came out of the bushes, but since I saw it fly into them earlier, that counts as a check!

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
FLEDGLINGS STILL AROUND!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, July 13, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Another week has gone by and I am pleased to report that all eight fledglings are doing very well! None of them have left their territories yet, as their parents continue to care for them.

The other day I went on a 7-hour search for the Rattlesnake fledglings. I started up on the canyon so that I can have a wider view of the canyon.

Posted Image

After about an hour, one of the adults flew in to the area from the ocean and perched on a rock. K15 and K19 were vocalizing but didnít come out.

I moved down to another observation spot where I can see the nest and a few roosting places really well but still no visuals.

I kept moving down the hill and closer to the bottom of the canyon. They were getting louder but still no visuals. I circled the nest and the arrow is pointing to their favorite roosting tree right by the nest (which they rarely use nowadays)

I know they are perching somewhere down there in those trees but they just wont tell me where!

Posted Image

I made a video of the search, no eagles to see in there but plenty to listen too.

Video by eaglegal: Searching for the Rattlesnake Youngsters. July 7th & 11th, 2011

Offline Profile Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Class of 2011 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic