Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Middle Ranch Eagle's Nest 2010/2011; Sad News ~ Chick Died.
Topic Started: Feb 21 2011, 11:52 AM (1,395 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Posted Image
Santa Catalina Island, CA and the active bald eagle breeding territories in 2010.

As you know All Eagles All The Time 2010/2011 is an Archival/History in Videos and Still captures showing the various stages throughout the year in the lives of the Eagles on the EagleCams at Pelican Harbor (PH) Nest ... on Santa Cruz Island and Two Harbors (TH) Nest & West End (WE) Nest ... on Santa Catalina Island.

The other confirmed nests on Catalina Island are at Middle Ranch (MR) ... Pinnacle Rock (PR) ... Rattlesnake Canyon (RS) ... Seal Rocks (SR) and Twin Rocks (TR)

You can find out who is who at each nest by visiting the
Meet The Adult Pairs thread.

Because we still want to follow the events happening on these nests without cameras .. separate threads will be opened for each nest .. and I will be posting the links to the Catalina Updates, written by Dr. Peter Sharpe and Steffani Jijon ... along with the photos taken by Steffani ... so that members can easily access the current information.

This is the thread for Middle Ranch (MR)

Eagles Territories map taken from the Bald Eagle Restoration on the California Channel Islands. January - December 2010 9th Annual Report.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MR - Middle Ranch Nest - Santa Catalina Island.

K-93/male & A-37/female

Posted Image

(Click on thumbnail to see full size)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATES RE K-93 & A-37

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, February 2, 2011 :clk:

Steffani:This week we started checking on the existing pairs trying to figure out if they are planning on using last year's nests.

Yesterday on my way to the enclosures, I spotted a blue-tagged adult perching on an electric pole by the KBRT ranch, I assume it was A37 but the lighting wasn't good to ID its tag.

Posted Image

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, February 16, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I have been checking on the Middle Ranch pair but I have not seen them on their nest tree at all. I have spotted them at different places though. Here's K93 perched on the electric poles.

Posted Image

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, February 24, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I have also been looking for the Middle Ranch pair. I have not seen them at the reservoir or perched at the KBRT poles like they use to and I started to think that maybe they had built a nest at another location we didn't know off.

Looking for eagles at the reservoir.

Posted Image

Fortunately, yesterday I spotted them both perched on those poles so they are not nesting yet.

Posted Image

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)

(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MARCH UPDATES

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 2, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I have been looking for the Middle Ranch pair this week as well and yesterday I finally spotted the male perched on an oak at the top of the ridge between Middle Ranch and Bulrush canyons.

Posted Image

After about an hour he moved to another branch of the tree and stayed there for another 40 minutes. After that I went to feed Pimu and Hydi and when I finished I checked again but he was gone.

Posted Image

He must have flown to Bulrush canyon ‘cause otherwise Pimu would have seen him and you can always tell when she’s spotted an eagle, she makes it obvious!

I’ll be exploring Bulrush canyon in the next day or so just because this pair has been visiting that area but we hope they use last year’s nest again.

They did lay eggs a lot later in the season last year so they’ll likely repeat that pattern, we shall see.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
EGG .. CITING NEWS!

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, March 10, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking the Middle Ranch pair daily.

We expected they would lay eggs later in the season, but to our surprise, on Friday we spotted the male in the incubation position, meaning that there had to be an egg on the nest. Shortly after, the female arrived and took over. We have been checking this nest every couple of days.

On Monday, I hiked to the Bulrush ridge to get a look at the nest from above but I wasn’t able to confirm if there was one egg or two. Yesterday, Pete paid them another visit and he got a good look at the nest bowl and saw that there were two eggs.

MR nest looked at from the road by Pimu’s enclosure

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image

Here’s a video of the visits.

Video by eaglegal:
Middle Ranch Nest. March 3rd & 7th, 2011

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: We’ve visited the Middle Ranch nest twice this week. the last time I was there I watched the nest for over 4 hours and the female barely moved so I left the observation area right before the sunset.

Posted Image

This is the one large tree that sits at the top of the ridge between Bulrush and Middle Canyons

Posted Image

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 23, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I have checked on the Middle Ranch nest a couple of times this week but have had the toughest time telling how many eggs they are still incubating. I was there on Friday and again this morning and I cannot conclusively say how many eggs there are. I kind of got a glimpse of the bowl last time but today, the male turned and turned again and I could not see deep enough.

Here's a video from last week.

Video by eaglegal: MR Nest

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 30, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: Every time we drive through Middle Ranch we check to make sure that the Middle Ranch nest is still active. Last time we were able to see into the nest bowl they had two eggs; we hope that hasn’t changed.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
APRIL UPDATES

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, April 7, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I have been checking the nests that are not on the web twice a week.

The Middle Ranch nest is the next one on our list. Their first egg’s due date is tomorrow, so I’ll be keeping a close look at this nest and hope to see some signs of chick hatching activity.

Posted Image

(Picture courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)

(Click on thumbnail to see full size)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
CONGRATULATIONS K-93 & A-37 ON YOUR FIRST CHICK!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: have more great news this week. Over the weekend, the Middle Ranch pair, K93 and A37, hatched one chick.

I have been checking them every other day or so this week because the first egg’s hatching due date was on the 8th, but it wasn’t until Sunday afternoon that I was able to confirm the presence of a little bobble head in the nest bowl.

Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to tell how many eggs they had been incubating so chick #2 could be on its way but we’ll have to wait a couple more days, ‘cause as of yesterday there was just one little guy (or gal!)

Here are few pictures of the nest and then a video of the nest checks.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image
Seen from the road.........................................Now from the top of the ridge

Video by eaglegal Middle Ranch Nest. There's a Chick on the Nest!

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
SAD NEWS!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking on the nests without cameras about twice a day. They have all been striving except for the Middle Ranch chick.

We were a little concerned a few days after it hatched because we never really saw it being as active as a week-old chick normally is. The last time Pete checked the nest, the chick had very little energy even during feeding, and by the end of last week we could see nothing on the nest.

We have been checking daily but the nest has been left alone for very long periods of time and we do not see anything in the nest bowl anymore, so we assume the little chick died. We can't tell what happened but Pete thought that maybe it had an infection on its umbilicus from hatching and was simply not able to overcome. We had seen the parents bring food to the nest; however, for the most part, it was squirrels.

One empty nest in the fog :'(

Posted Image

The MR pair on the nest tree but not on the nest anymore.

Video by eaglegal: Middle Ranch Nest. April 21st, 2011

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MIDDLE RANCH PAIR SPOTTED.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I have spotted the Middle Ranch pair, K93 and A32, perched on the electric poles behind the KBRT area a couple of times this week.

Posted Image

K93 on the left, A32 on the right.

Posted Image

N.B. I think that Steffani has made a typographical error and she means A-37 NOT A-32 ... unless there has been another change of pairs here?

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, August 11, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: We have spotted the Middle Ranch male, K93, hanging out on the electric poles by Haypress but have not seen his mate, A37.

Posted Image

Pete has received a couple emails from a biologist at Point Mugu Naval Air Station near Oxnard, CA mentioning that A37 has been spotted there a couple times this month.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, August 31, 2011 :clk:

Steffani: I spotted K93, the Middle Ranch male, perched on the electric poles by Haypress Reservoir.

Posted Image

Offline Profile Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Class of 2011 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic