Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Twin Rocks Eagle's Nest 2011/2012; New Male - Did not Nest.
Topic Started: Feb 16 2012, 11:21 AM (890 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Posted Image
Santa Catalina Island, CA and the active bald eagle breeding territories in 2010.

As you know All Eagles All The Time 2011/2012 is an Archival/History in Videos and Still captures showing the various stages throughout the year in the lives of the Eagles on the EagleCams at Pelican Harbor (PH) Nest & Sauces Canyon (SC) Nest ... on Santa Cruz Island and Two Harbors (TH) Nest & West End (WE) Nest ... on Santa Catalina Island.

The other confirmed nests on Catalina Island are at Middle Ranch (MR) ... Pinnacle Rock (PR) ... Rattlesnake Canyon (RS) ... Seal Rocks (SR) and Twin Rocks (TR)

You can find out who is who at each nest by visiting the
Meet The Adult Pairs thread.

Because we still want to follow the events happening on these nests without cameras .. separate threads will be opened for each nest .. and I will be posting the links to the Catalina Updates, written by Dr. Peter Sharpe and Steffani Jijon ... along with the photos taken by Steffani ... so that members can easily access the current information.

This is the thread for Twin Rocks (TR).

Eagles Territories map taken from the Bald Eagle Restoration on the California Channel Islands. January - December 2010 9th Annual Report.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
TR - Twin Rocks Nest - Santa Catalina Island.

K-33/male & K-17/female

Posted Image
Nest is circled

(Click on thumbnail to see full size)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATES ON K-33 & K-17

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: Last week, I had a chance to go look for the Twin Rock adults. Their territory is quite large so unfortunately, I didn’t find them from the spot I was surveying from.

Here are a few pictures of the area

Posted Image.................Posted Image..........................Posted Image
.........................................Looking towards Goat Harbor...........Looking towards Italian Gardens

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, February 2, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: I am back from vacation and fully energized for this busy upcoming breeding season!

On the day after my return, I visited a couple of nests to check for any nesting activity and have been checking nests ever since. I am proud to announce that all SEVEN CATALINA NESTS are active! Just a couple of weeks ago, the eagles were kind of visiting their territories but now, they are in full on breeding mode.

Every pair is using the same nest they used last year but there has been a mate switch on one of our pairs .. at the PR Nest.

Twin Rocks

Posted Image

Video by eaglegal: First look at the Twin Rocks Adults on Their Nest Breeding Season 2012

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: This week, we have been checking all the nests regularly hoping for the first eggs of the season to be laid … but nothing yet.

They are all engaged and dedicated nest builders and we have observed the pairs mating regularly so we know we have many eggs coming our way!

I’ve checked on Twin Rocks and Rattlesnake nests using the nest cams. The nests seem to be worked on, but whenever I check, no one is home.

Video by eaglegal:
An Empty Twin Rocks Nest Feb. 4th & 7th, 2012

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking the nests almost every day hoping to see those precious little white eggs laying in the nest bowls.

Neither Rattlesnake or Twin Rocks have laid eggs yet but we’re sure they will soon.

Video by eaglegal:
Twin Rocks Nest Empty! Feb. 9th - 11th, 2012

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, February 23, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking on the Twin Rocks nest every other day but so far we have found an empty nest.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image

Video by eaglegal: Twin Rocks Nest Adults are Around but Still No Eggs. Feb. 16th -20th, 2012

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: On Wednesday and Friday, I checked on the Twin Rocks nest.
Again, it was empty …

So on Friday, I hiked down to search for the adults in the area but unfortunately, there were no sightings.

Yesterday, I went out to check TR again and as soon as I arrived I was shocked to find not eagles, but ravens on the nest, and not using the nest but STEALING nest material from it!

Posted Image

It wasn’t long before one of the TR eagles arrived to the nest and defended her home.

Posted Image

After the little intruders were gone, she left too.

Posted Image

Video by eaglegal:
Twin Rocks Nest K-17 Defending her Nest from Little Thieves Feb., 28th, 2012

It is quite a relief to know that while she had not laid eggs yet, she is invested enough to defend her nest and her territory.

We will be checking them every other day and one of these days, hopefully, we’ll see an egg.

Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)

(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MARCH UPDATES

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 7, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: I checked the Twin Rocks nest. They have not laid eggs yet but are definitely present and active in their territory.

On Thursday, I was searching for the pair when I spotted not one, or two but three adults chasing each other, and a little red-tailed hawk that was following the chase very closely.

Empty nest …
Posted Image.......Posted Image

They never landed so I was unable to ID the birds but they were most likely the TR pair, K33 and K17, and K67.

You see, last week, Pete spotted K67 just a couple of miles away from the TR area so we are thinking she must be looking for a place to settle down and breed. Too bad for her K33 already has a mate, but can’t blame her for trying …

Here’s the video of the chase.

Video by eaglegal:
Twin Rocks Territory Found Not 1 or 2 but 3 Adults!

Yesterday I went over to the area again and after a couple of hours I spotted K15, one of the two chicks from RS nest from 2011, fly right over me.

It wasn’t long before one of the TR adults came out from their hiding place and chased her off the area. Then, he/she flew over to the nest and perched on the ridge.

I circled the eagle and the nest.

Posted Image

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: Last week, Pete explored the Twin Rocks area in search of the TR adults and maybe a new nest location. Well, there was no new nest but he did spot an adult (possibly K17) perched next to K00, one of the two PR chicks from 2007.

Posted Image
........ K-00

They seem to be hanging out on the west side of the TR territory. Here’s a picture pointing at where Pete spotted them. The triple arrow points in the direction of the TR nest
Posted Image

Yesterday, I went out searching for them but only saw one of the adults flying over Gibraltar Point and headed west to the Empire area.

The TR nest yesterday ... Posted Image....... And today ...
Posted Image

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
BREAKING NEWS ... A NEW MALE IN K-17's LIFE!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: Last Thursday, Pete and I headed to the Twin Rocks territory and spent most of the day looking for the adults and figuring out what’s going on with them.

As soon as I arrived to the area and was in view of Italian Gardens, I spotted the female, K17. I contacted Pete, who was on the nest ridge and he said that, from his angle, he could see two eagles perched on that same bush but was too far away to read their tags.

I was on the same ridge but looking at the from behind. I know the one at the top was K17 but we weren’t sure if her mate was K33 or K00

Posted Image....... Posted Image

After a few minutes, the lower bird perched where I could see it and I was able to ID it. It was K00!

This reassures us that the previous TR male, K33, has been replaced by 5-year-old- K00.

We watched them fly and perch together for a couple more hours and because they decided to perch along a well-transited camp trail, they were flushed several times. They kept moving around and perching together.

Each time, Pete and I were hoping that they would “take us” to where they had decided to nest this year but they never did. In fact, at the end of the day, they flew towards the TR nest .... In the third image I have circled the TR camera on the left and the new TR pair on the right.

Posted Image.......Posted Image....... Posted Image

After a while, they moved again .. and then continued to soar over Italian Gardens as I hiked out of the area.

Posted Image

Video by eaglegal:
The New Twin Rocks Pair K-17 and K-00. March 15th, 2012.

On Friday I checked the TR area briefly but did not find them.

On Monday, Pete saw them perched along the same ridge but he saw no signs of them nesting yet. He did get to watch them feeding on a deer carcass on a steep slope on Twin Rocks.

Some Camp Fox residents did mention that they have seen them mate closer to the water so maybe they are planning on breeding this year and they are taking a little longer because of the mate change; we will see.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
SEARCHING FOR K-00 & K-17

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: I went to the Twin Rocks area to look for K00 and K17 but I had no luck.

I ventured out to the western part of the TR territory because from the air we noticed those small canyons offered potential nesting sites. Oh, and it is a gorgeous area to walk around too!

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image

After a couple of hours I spotted K00 flying towards me and headed west but lost him after he flew over the next ridge.

Posted Image

After another hour or so I spotted K17 headed in the same direction but also lost her over the next ridge.

I was getting ready to leave and had packed up all of my stuff when I look up and both of the adults decide to fly by me one more time. I followed them with my binoculars and once they landed I set the scope back up.

Posted Image

Do you see them under that tree?

Posted Image

How about now?

Posted Image

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
APRIL & MAY UPDATES

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: Pete and I have been surveying about 4 miles of coastline in the Twin Rocks area in order to determine if our newly formed couple, K17 (28-years-old) and her new mate K00 (just 5-years-old), are breeding or not.
After steep hikes and long waits, we finally saw both adults perching together for a considerable amount of time which indicates that they haven’t laid eggs yet but they remain paired up.

Yesterday, Pete hiked up to the top to Twin Rocks so he can see both sides of the coast and I hiked down into the Valley of Ollas on the western edge of the TR territory to be able to cover more terrain.

Posted Image....................Posted Image..................................Posted Image
Italian Gardens area...... Little Gibraltar and TR in the far back........... Western section/Empire Landing

Around 3pm, I spotted the female flying into a small canyon as she was being harassed by gulls. I tried to follow her and on my hike up I spotted her again flying towards Gibraltar Point, which is where Pete got a chance to see her and also spotted K00 who met her and ended up perching together.

Shortly after they perched, one of them took off and didn’t come back for a couple of hours.

Posted Image

Pete stayed in the area to confirm that they don’t have eggs yet.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: Pete and I have surveyed the Twin Rocks area extensively trying to figure out where this pair is hanging out and where/if they are nesting.

Last year’s TR nest, still empty … Posted Image

After days of searching, we have not come to any conclusions. Sometimes we spot one or the other but we haven’t been able to get good tag readings, and the area is so large, theirs has plenty of room for yet anther pair to establish a territory.
We will continue to explore the canyons and the coast, maybe we’ll even take the kayaks out one of these days, and hopefully we’ll find something soon.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: We have continued to look for the Twin Rocks pair but we have unable to find them lately. There is a good possibility that they could be nesting somewhere in the area but we just haven’t found their new nesting site because they sure aren’t using last year’s nest!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: I have been surveying the TR territory for several days unable to even see them much less find out if they’re nesting or not. (Check the update for all the photos of the area searched)

I eventually watched the TR pair soar together for several minutes on the western edge of their territory and then K17 started flying east towards my location.

We hope they stay together and hopefully breed next year.

Video by eaglegal
The New Twin Rocks Pair Soaring Together

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 2, 2012 :clk:

Steffani:I have been checking on the Twin Rocks nest but it is still empty.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: I have not being able to find the TR adults, but then again, they could be “hiding” in a canyon nearby and could have moved to another area on the island; after all, there’s plenty of real estate available!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: We keep looking for the Twin Rocks pair even on the opposite side of the island. I started the survey right at the edge of the Two Harbors territory and will work my way to the Pinnacle Rock area. No sign of them.

For complete update, and lots more pictures and videos, click on the dates.
Offline Profile Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Class of 2012 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic