Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Seal Rocks Eagle's Nest 2011/2012; Nestorations to Fledging.
Topic Started: Feb 16 2012, 11:24 AM (2,273 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Posted Image
Santa Catalina Island, CA and the active bald eagle breeding territories in 2010.

As you know All Eagles All The Time 2011/2012 is an Archival/History in Videos and Still captures showing the various stages throughout the year in the lives of the Eagles on the EagleCams at Pelican Harbor (PH) Nest & Sauces Canyon (SC) Nest ... on Santa Cruz Island and Two Harbors (TH) Nest & West End (WE) Nest ... on Santa Catalina Island.

The other confirmed nests on Catalina Island are at Middle Ranch (MR) ... Pinnacle Rock (PR) ... Rattlesnake Canyon (RS) ... Seal Rocks (SR) and Twin Rocks (TR)

You can find out who is who at each nest by visiting the
Meet The Adult Pairs thread.

Because we still want to follow the events happening on these nests without cameras .. separate threads will be opened for each nest .. and I will be posting the links to the Catalina Updates, written by Dr. Peter Sharpe and Steffani Jijon ... along with the photos taken by Steffani ... so that members can easily access the current information.

This is the thread for Seal Rocks (SR).

Eagles Territories map taken from the Bald Eagle Restoration on the California Channel Islands. January - December 2010 9th Annual Report.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
SR - Seal Rocks Nest - Santa Catalina Island.

K-25/male & K-34/female

Posted Image

[Click on thumbnail to see full size)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATES RE K-25 & K-34

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, February 2, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: I am back from vacation and fully energized for this busy upcoming breeding season!

On the day after my return, I visited a couple of nests to check for any nesting activity and have been checking nests ever since. I am proud to announce that all SEVEN CATALINA NESTS are active! Just a couple of weeks ago, the eagles were kind of visiting their territories but now, they are in full on breeding mode.

Every pair is using the same nest they used last year but there has been a mate switch on one of our pairs .. at the PR Nest.

Seal Rocks

Posted Image............Posted Image
...................................... The seal lions at the beach.

Video by eaglegal: The Seal Rocks Adults Flying Over Their Territory Breeding Season 2012

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: This week, we have been checking all the nests regularly hoping for the first eggs of the season to be laid … but nothing yet.

They are all engaged and dedicated nest builders and we have observed the pairs mating regularly so we know we have many eggs coming our way!

The Seal Rocks nest was empty at first so I looked around and finally spotted one of the birds.
It was the female, K34, who later went back to the nest and started working on it.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image

Video by eaglegal:
K34, the Female of the Seal Rocks Pair. Making the Nest Bowl Feb. 3rd, 2012

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)

(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
EGG .. CITING NEWS!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: We have some EGGciting news for Catalina this time around. Yes, we have eggs! They have been laid 2-20 days earlier than last year, depending on the nest, but we expect variation from year to year.

We have been checking the nests almost every day hoping to see those precious little white eggs laying in the nest bowls and last Thursday, both Pete and I came back from the field to report that each one of us had seen an egg on a nest, him on Middle Ranch (A37 and K93) and me on Seal Rocks (K34 and K25).

It is normal for the eagles to not incubate their first egg right away. They tend to wait until the whole clutch has been laid to fully incubate their eggs in the hopes that they will all hatch at relatively the same time, so not to worry if, once TH and WE eagles lay their first eggs, they don’t sit on them right away; they know what they’re doing.

The first view of the SR egg and K34 last Thursday
Posted Image.......Posted Image

On Friday late afternoon, I checked on them again.
This time I found TWO eggs on the nest!

Video by eaglegal:
Seal Rocks Nest First and Second Egg! Feb.9th & 10th, 2012

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, February 23, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking on the Seal Rocks nest every couple of days and they continue to incubate two eggs.

We were hoping for three this year but they have just two so far

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image.... Making a switch ... Posted Image

Video by eaglegal:
Seal Rocks Nest. Still 2 Eggs.

Video by Eagle Guy: Seal Rocks Nest. Feb 21st, 2012

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: We headed to the Seal Rocks to check that they still had 2 eggs.

While at the blind, Nancee realized how time-consuming checking each nest is, as we sat in the blind for over 3 hours waiting on the female to make a move. Finally, her mate arrived to the nest and they switched, giving us a chance to see their 2 eggs.

Here’s a video of the switch and from yesterday too.

Video by eaglegal:
Seal Rocks Nest Still 2 Eggs! Feb., 22nd-28th, 2012.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MARCH UPDATES

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 7, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: The Seal Rocks nest still has their two eggs and both, K25 and K34, share the incubation duties.

I seem to be spending a big chunk of my day checking this nest; we hike up to the nest in just about 10 minutes but once I get to the blind and it is the female who is incubating, I end up waiting for hours for her to make a move and let me see into the bowl.

It is during the switches that I finally get to confirm how many eggs are there. As of Monday they had two!

Video by eaglegal:
Seal Rocks Nest Adults Switching Duties. March 2nd, 2012.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: Last week, Pete went out to the field and continued to check on the nests because I got very sick and wasn’t able to work.
He confirmed there were still two eggs in Seal Rocks, one at Pinnacle Rock and two at Rattlesnake. Yesterday, I went out to do nest checks as well and everything seems to have stayed the same.

We will be checking SR daily since their first egg’s due date is some time today or tomorrow and the second egg’s due date is on Friday. So hopefully by next report we’ll have the first chicks to report for Catalina.

While Pete was checking this nest, he also took some pictures of the abundant sea lions at Seal Rocks Beach.

This is a close up of the impressive numbers! Pete came up with a rough estimate and there were over 800 of them!

Posted Image

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
CONGRATULATIONS K-25 & K-34 ~ FIRST CHICK HATCHED!

Eagle Guy .. March 16th, 2012. Posted ... A Seal Rocks chick hatched yesterday, right on schedule.

Video by Eagle Guy: Seal Rocks Nest. March 16, 2012

Stills taken from this video.

Posted Image Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
TWINS ON THE SR NEST!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: We have chicks!
Yes, the first chicks of Catalina have hatched at the Seal Rocks nest.
Last Thursday, I visited the SR area and found that they still had two full eggs but they were making switches more often and rolling the eggs less.

On March 16th, Pete hiked over to the SR observation blind and observed one little chick getting fed while it sat next to the second egg.

During the weekend we had a storm coming through the island so we could not check nests.

On Monday, I headed out there again and found not just one but two, very dry little chicks being brooded by the male and soon after I watched the female arrive to the nest with a prey item. Unfortunately, as she started feeding the chicks, she positioned herself between me and the chicks so I just got a little glimpse of the nest bowl but good enough to take a picture or two!

Dad brooding ...... Posted Image

After the switch ... Posted Image....... Feeding the little chicks ... Posted Image

Video by eaglegal:
Seal Rocks Nest. First look at the Two Chicks. March 19th, 2012.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: The Seal Rocks parents continue to raise their two little chicks and we check them 2-3 times a week to make sure their parents are feeding them and taking good care of them; which they do!

Video by eaglegal:
Seal Rocks Nest March 27, 2012. (Visible Chick is 12 days old)

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
APRIL UPDATES

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: We have checked on the Seal Rocks nest and, these being the oldest chicks on the island, already look huge compared to the recently hatched ones we have been paying so much attention to.

I checked them on Friday and took a few pictures and video.

Video by eaglegal:
Seal Rocks Chicks. March 30th & April 4th, 2012.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: All of the eight Catalina chicks are doing great and their parents are trying to keep up with their demanding appetites!

I checked the Seal Rocks nest twice this week but one of those days was too hot to take pictures so I just have a couple from yesterday.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: Over the weekend, we experienced some storms and some very heavy winds. We noticed on the cameras that the parents were taking really good care of their chicks during this rough weather so there’s no need to worry about them but still, one does…

On Monday, I went out and checked on all of the nests to make sure everyone was alright.
I visited the Seal Rocks nest first and found the two babies cuddling up together on the edge of the nest. I watched them for a few minutes just to see them move for a bit and neither of the parents came during that time.

These little ones, who aren’t so little anymore, are the oldest chicks on Catalina and therefore the first ones to be banded starting in mid-May. We will post a tentative banding schedule as the dates come closer.

Posted Image

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: Seal Rocks and the Rattlesnake chicks are all doing really great.
I visited the SR nest last Friday morning but there was such a thick marine layer that I wasn’t able to see anything. I waited around hoping it’d clear up but it just got worse. I did hear the adult vocalized so maybe that was a food delivery.

I went to check on them again today and they are alive and well, clumsily walking around the nest… they are cute any way you want to look at them!

Video by eaglegal:
Seal Rocks Chicks. April 25th, 2012

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
CHICKS ARE GROWING FAST!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 2, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: The Seal Rocks chicks are growing right on schedule and their parents diligently watch over them!

Posted Image

This is the SR nest seen from the blind, zoomed in on the camera but not through the scope… they are a ways away!

Posted Image

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: Last week, Pete traveled to Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa Islands to begin banding the oldest chicks of the season. Meanwhile, I’ve been keeping an eye on the Catalina nests and making sure the parents are taking good care of their chicks.

I visited the Seal Rocks nest a couple of times this week and they are doing wonderfully. They always seem to have leftovers on the nest and the parents are usually around.

Chicks are almost as big as mom and dad!
Posted Image

These are the oldest Catalina chicks and we will be banding them this Friday, so expect some really nice close up shots and video on next week’s update!

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MEET .. K-20 .. Official Name: Pukuu & K-21 .. Official Name: Micco ~ SEAL ROCKS EAGLETS!

Hatch Date ................. Wingbling Number .............. Fledge Date
March 15/19th 2012 ...... K-20 (F) & K-21 (M).............. Beginning of June, 2012

Posted Image

K-20 ... was banded as a female .. & .. K-21 ... was banded as a male ..... they were correct!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 :clk:

Banding Day at SR Nest: Friday, May 11th, 2012
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATES RE K-20 & K-21

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: I checked on the Seal Rocks chicks last week as well and they look great.

One is perching on the edge and the other one hiding under the bush trying to stay cool. Then one of the parents arrived with a fish and started feeding them. Pretty soon the adult left and the chicks finished their meal.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
K-20 & K-21 HAVE FLEDGED!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 6, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: The eaglets have fledged!
Yes, that’s right, the young eagles on Catalina are starting to live in a very three-dimensional way, just like their parents! It seems like it was just a couple of weeks ago that we banded the Seal Rocks eaglets but I guess it’s been over a month because they have fledged!

This is SR chicks last week.
Posted Image......Posted Image

Over the weekend, Pete checked on them and found them hanging out about 100ft above the nest. They could have very well hopped their way up there but yesterday I checked on them and after a few minutes of wing exercises, K21 took off on an exploratory flight in the nest canyon. I saw him make a few loops over the nest and land somewhere away from my view. K20 exercised and watched her sibling take off but decided to remain on the nest.

I took a picture zooming in on the camera circled K20 on the SR nest. Hope you can see it! They are really far down there.

Posted Image

I also made a short video of my visits to the nest.

Video by eaglegal: The Seal Rocks Eaglets Fledging Begins! End of May Beginning of June, 2012

Last week I explored the eastern part of the Palisades, a very rugged and steep sets of cliffs!

I first spotted an adult eagle with just a remnant of a right under wing marker. I watched it circle me and fly over the area for a couple of hours but was never able to ID it.

Posted Image

The nearest territory would be Pinnacle Rock, K56 and K73, and both adults still have most of their wing markers so… it wasn’t the PR pair.

The next day I visited the Seal Rocks nest and the Female, K34, spotted me way at the trailhead and flew so close that I was able to also notice her partial right wing marker.
So… she was probably the one I spotted the day before even though I was about 4 miles away from her territory. Pete mentioned that in the past he has seen her as far as China Point, which is another 4 miles away. I guess she likes long day trips, but we know she and K25 keep a close eye on their chicks, they are very good parents!

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
CHECKING ON THE FLEDGLINGS!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: This week I have been keeping up with the recently fledged chicks from the Seal Rocks nest, K20 and K21.

I have seen K21 fly all over the nest canyon and back to the nest but I had yet to see K20 take the plunge!

Here it is K20, exercising and building courage to take the first flight!

Posted Image.......[color]Posted Image

And yesterday, finally I saw K20 flying around.

Posted Image

While I was waiting to see K20, the male K25 arrived to the nest with some food, given that both chicks were out and about, he decided to go ahead and eat it himself!

Posted Image

Later, K20 and K21 soaring the canyon like pros! What a sight!

Video by eaglegal:
Seal Rocks Eaglets! Fledged and Finally Seen Flying Together. June 8th & 12th, 2012

K21 landed on the nest first and K20 after (in the red box)

The loud sea lions.
Posted Image

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATE ON THE FLEDGLINGS!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: This week, we have been keeping up with the fledging eaglets at Seal Rocks and Rattlesnake nest. All three seem to be doing just fine.

I’ve visited the SR area a couple of times and every time I find the chicks perching and flying on a different area of their canyon. Both parents are around and the only times I think they beg is when the parent has caught something. The parents still deliver the food to the nest and the eaglets land just seconds after! It’s really fun to watch!

Perched on their nest branch.

Posted Image

K21 perched on the hillside ... Posted Image ..... Now K20 ... Posted Image ..... After a food delivery ... Posted Image

Video by eaglegal:
K20 and K21 Flying in Their Canyon Like Pros!

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
FLEDGLINGS SOARING & EXPLORING!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: I have been keeping tabs on the already fledged eaglets from the Rattlesnake and Seal Rocks Nests.

The SR eaglets are the oldest on the island and always the first ones to take their first flight outside of their territories. On Monday, I spotted K21 flying clear over the rock quarry and the east end roads. I actually spotted it way before I even got to my trailhead; it flew closer to the truck, it checked me out and headed back down the canyon.

Posted Image

After I arrived to the observation blind I found K20 flying around as well and he came up a little higher to get his picture taken!

Posted Image

And this was last week ... K20 ...
Posted Image ..... K21 ... Posted Image

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Class of 2012 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic