Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Rattlesnake Canyon Eagle's Nest 2011/2012; Nestorations to Fledging.
Topic Started: Feb 16 2012, 11:26 AM (2,158 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Posted Image
Santa Catalina Island, CA and the active bald eagle breeding territories in 2010.

As you know All Eagles All The Time 2011/2012 is an Archival/History in Videos and Still captures showing the various stages throughout the year in the lives of the Eagles on the EagleCams at Pelican Harbor (PH) Nest & Sauces Canyon (SC) Nest ... on Santa Cruz Island and Two Harbors (TH) Nest & West End (WE) Nest ... on Santa Catalina Island.

The other confirmed nests on Catalina Island are at Middle Ranch (MR) ... Pinnacle Rock (PR) ... Rattlesnake Canyon (RC) ... Seal Rocks (SR) and Twin Rocks (TR)

You can find out who is who at each nest by visiting the
Meet The Adult Pairs thread.

Because we still want to follow the events happening on these nests without cameras .. separate threads will be opened for each nest .. and I will be posting the links to the Catalina Updates, written by Dr. Peter Sharpe and Steffani Jijon ... along with the photos taken by Steffani ... so that members can easily access the current information.

This is the thread for Rattlesnake Canyon (RC).

Eagles Territories map taken from the Bald Eagle Restoration on the California Channel Islands. January - December 2010 9th Annual Report.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
RC - Rattlesnake Canyon Nest - Santa Catalina Island.

K-80/male & K-47/female

Posted Image
Rattlesnake Canyon

(Click on thumbnail to see full size)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATE RE K-80 & K-47

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, January 4, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: Yesterday, we headed out to mount the new Rattlesnake camera on the nest tree.
This is what the area looks like and that's Pete up there climbing the tree (again!)

Posted Image............Posted Image..............Posted Image
........................................................................The bottom of the nest tree

I made a short video of Pete working on the nest tree and then an empty RS nest.

Video by eaglegal:
RS Nest/Tree

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: I checked on the Rattlesnake nest the other day but there were no eagle visits while I was watching. It’s good to know that our new camera and microphone work perfectly. It sure makes it easier to monitor this nest with the aid of the nest cam.

Video by eaglegal:
Checking the Nest

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, February 2, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: I am back from vacation and fully energized for this busy upcoming breeding season!

On the day after my return, I visited a couple of nests to check for any nesting activity and have been checking nests ever since. I am proud to announce that all SEVEN CATALINA NESTS are active! Just a couple of weeks ago, the eagles were kind of visiting their territories but now, they are in full on breeding mode.

Every pair is using the same nest they used last year but there has been a mate switch on one of our pairs .. at the PR Nest.

Rattlesnake Canyon.

This video is quite interesting, if you notice, near the end of the video the female is picking on something right below the camera. When I was watching, at first I thought she was picking on the cable but then she pulled a yellow string, which happens to be the skinny line Pete left on the tree so he can climb the tree at banding. Well, we may have to start all over again because she was quite adamant to remove it from her nest. I guess she doesn’t appreciate the human contribution to the décor of her nest!

Video by eaglegal:
First View of the Rattlesnake Eagles on their Nest. Breeding Season 2012

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: This week, we have been checking all the nests regularly hoping for the first eggs of the season to be laid … but nothing yet.

They are all engaged and dedicated nest builders and we have observed the pairs mating regularly so we know we have many eggs coming our way!

I’ve checked on Twin Rocks and Rattlesnake nests using the nest cams. The nests seem to be worked on, but whenever I check, no one is home.

Video by eaglegal:
No Eagles at the Rattlesnake Nest. Feb. 7th, 2012

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking the nests almost every day hoping to see those precious little white eggs laying in the nest bowls.

Neither Rattlesnake or Twin Rocks have laid eggs yet but we’re sure they will soon.

Video by eaglegal:
Rattlesnake Nest Feb. 9th & 10th, 2012

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)

(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
EGG .. CITING NEWS!

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, February 23, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: We have more great news this week to report for Catalina.

At the Rattlesnake nest. K47 has laid two eggs this past week and as of yesterday, they are still incubating two!

Posted Image.......Posted Image

Rolling those delicate eggs!

Video by eaglegal:
Rattlesnake Nest. First 1 Egg and then 2! Feb 16 -20th, 2012.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: We have been regularly checking on the Middle Ranch and Rattlesnake nests, and they still have 1 and 2 eggs respectively.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image

Video by eaglegal:
Rattlesnake Nest Still 2 Eggs! Feb., 22nd-28th, 2012.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MARCH UPDATES

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 7, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: The Rattlesnake nest. They also continue to incubate their two eggs and it is nice to see the male involved in the whole process, I guess he has learned to be a better mate over the years!

Video by eaglegal:
Rattlesnake Nest K80 and K47 Incubating Their 2 Eggs. March 2nd & 5th, 2012

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: Last week, Pete went out to the field and continued to check on the nests because I got very sick and wasn’t able to work.
He confirmed there were still two eggs in Seal Rocks, one at Pinnacle Rock and two at Rattlesnake. Yesterday, I went out to do nest checks as well and everything seems to have stayed the same.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: The Rattlesnake nest still has their two eggs and they are due to hatch in the next few days.

Video by eaglegal:
Rattlesnake Nest Still Incubating Two Eggs. March 19th, 2012.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
TWINS ON THE RC NEST!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: On Saturday, Pete checked on the Rattlesnake nest and after waiting for a little while he discovered that there were in fact two little chicks in the nest bowl.

Mom, K47, attempted to feed them but she ended up covering the poor little ones in a bunch of grass and gull feathers. It was pretty funny to watch because at one point she couldn’t even find their little heads so she could deliver some food.

Video by eaglegal:
Rattlesnake Nest 1 Chick, 1 Egg. March 23rd, 2012

Video by eaglegal: First Look at the Two Rattlesnake Chicks! March 24th, 2012

Video by eaglegal: K47 Feeds Her Chicks and Completely Covers them with Fluff and Feathers!

Video by eaglegal: Rattlesnake Nest Two Chicks Now! March 26th, 2012

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
APRIL UPDATES

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: The Rattlesnake chicks are growing very fast as well!

Video by eaglegal:
Rattlesnake Chicks March 30th & April 2nd, 2012.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: All of the eight Catalina chicks are doing great and their parents are trying to keep up with their demanding appetites!

Last week I checked the Rattlesnake nest. This nest cannot be seen from the road but we do have a camera, a transmission and a receiver site, which is where I normally go, plug my monitor in and spy on the little ones.

I checked them yesterday again and they were home alone and constantly picking at each other … As the chicks get older and bigger, they can be left unattended for longer periods of time but be sure at least one of the parents is perched near by!

Video by eaglegal
Rattlesnake Chicks April 5th & 10th, 2012.

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: Over the weekend, we experienced some storms and some very heavy winds. We noticed on the cameras that the parents were taking really good care of their chicks during this rough weather so there’s no need to worry about them but still, one does…

The Rattlesnake chicks are the second oldest on the island and also old enough to be left alone for longer periods of time. While I was watching them on Monday, I noticed that one of them was already trying to feed itself from some leftovers from the nest. Because it wasn’t getting enough, it started begging to its parent that was perched on a branch right off the nest. They sure are entertaining!

Video by eaglegal:
Rattlesnake Chicks May 16th, 2012

Video by eaglegal: Video of K-80

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 25, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: Seal Rocks and the Rattlesnake chicks are all doing really great.

Here are the Rattlesnake chicks being fed by mom, K47

Notice the difference in size and developmental stage between the two chicks. Even though they hatched just a couple of days apart they look so different. I have been observing continuous sibling rivalry between these two, but we’re hoping the little one “catches up” on its growth by the time we go band them because otherwise, all it’s going to get is a leg band and maybe wing markers but no radio… so eat up little one!

Video by eaglegal:
Rattlesnake Chicks. April 20th & 24th, 2012

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
SAD NEWS .. CHICK LOST IN A WIND STORM!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 2, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: Last Wednesday afternoon and evening, we had a storm coming through and we experienced some serious winds. We didn’t go to the field on Thursday because gated roads close after a heavy rain so I was back nest-checking on Friday.

On my last update, I mentioned that we worried that one of the two chicks seemed to be developing at a slower rate than the other chick and we were hoping that it’d catch up by the time it was time for banding. So RC was the first nest I checked and as soon as I plugged my monitor in, I noticed there was something wrong…

This is what I saw ... The older chick was on the nest all by itself!

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image

I waited for a few hours hoping to see one of the parents come to the nest or some indication that the little chick was either below the nest or buried somewhere in the fluff, but nothing. I immediately consulted with Pete, who was on the mainland in transit to the northern Channel Islands for a couple of weeks, and I asked him if I should go down there and investigate the missing chick.

The good thing about this nest is that it sits on a tall tree at the bottom of the canyon so hiking to the nest is possible to accomplish without the eagles spotting us until the very end, once we have arrived to the actual nest. The hike still starts at the ridge (at 1600ft) and it drops into a poison oak-covered drainage. As soon as I arrived to the nest tree I realized what must have happened…

As it turns out, the strong winds from Wednesday night had hit this canyon so badly that it knocked over huge trees in the area, including one adjacent to the nest. And the winds must have also blown the poor chick off the nest in the process.

I took some pictures to illustrate the damage and I hope they do it justice.

This is one of the trees about 50ft away from the nest ... Posted Image..... And this one is right next to it ... Posted Image

The nest is in the red square and the fallen trunk is in the orange circle.
Posted Image

Thinking positively, we are lucky the nest itself didn’t get blown off because the outcome would have been worse!

I checked back on the RC chick on Monday and there he was. Scaring me as he approaches the edge of the nest!

I waited to see if the parents were around and one did finally come and perched on a snag near by.

Video by eaglegal:
Down to One Chick at Rattlesnake Nest ... April 27th & April 30th, 2012

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
REMAINING CHICK IS DOING WELL!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: Last week, Pete traveled to Santa Cruz and Santa Rosa Islands to begin banding the oldest chicks of the season. Meanwhile, I’ve been keeping an eye on the Catalina nests and making sure the parents are taking good care of their chicks.

The Rattlesnake chick is doing great as well. He/she has started displaying some grabbing and mantling of the food that’s being brought to him/her, which is perfectly normal behavior for a chick that age. We will be banding this chick on Friday, May 18th.

Chick and fish
Posted Image

As big or bigger than mom!
Posted Image

Here’s a nice close up of K47 She has been perching on this electric pole located right by the road for the past couple of weeks, a safe spot for tour buses to spot her and admire her.

Posted Image

Video by eaglegal:
The Rattlesnake Nest. May 3rd & 8th, 2012

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: I have been checking on the Rattlesnake chick about twice a week and the lone chick continues to grow under the care of both of its parents!

Video by eaglegal:
RS Family

We will be banding the RC chick this Friday so stay tuned for next week’s update!

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MEET .. K-22 .. Official Name: Jerry ~ RATTLESNAKE CANYON EAGLET!

Hatch Date ................. Wingbling Number .............. Fledge Date
March 23rd, 2012 ............... K-22 (M)........................... June 12/12

Posted Image

K-22 ... was banded as a male ... they got it right!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 23, 2012 :clk:

Banding Day at RC Nest: Friday, May 18th, 2012
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATE RE K-22!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 6, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: The Rattlesnake chick is next on the fledging list so we’ll be keeping an eye out for him this coming week!

Sometimes I arrive to the tower and find an empty nest, but that just means that K22 has started to branch out and therefore stepping away from the view of the camera. I wait for him to return to the nest and I even got to watch a prey delivery! They grow SO fast!

Empty nest again! But if you look really closely you can tell he is perching on the upper, right corner

I put together a video too, this eagle is particularly entertaining. He must like not having anyone else to share his food with like the rest of the Catalina youngsters!

Video by eaglegal: K22 The Rattlesnake Eaglet! May 27th, 31st & June 5th, 2012

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
K-22 HAS FLEDGED!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 13, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: I have been checking on the Rattlesnake chick. On Friday, I found him still on the nest but branching outside of the camera’s view.

On Tuesday, I checked him again and all I found was an empty nest. I went out to feed the birds and came back but it still hadn’t returned to the nest.

So… I hiked out looking for him. I could hear him vocalized deep in the canyon but I couldn’t see it. I also didn’t see the adults around.

This morning I headed out to check on him again and after a couple of hours it finally hopped onto a grassy area near the creek.
Can you see him?

I waited to see him fly but it didn’t move from there, just kept vocalizing away.
Again, I didn’t see the parents around so I’ll be going back there again tomorrow and make sure the parents continue to care for their chick. K22 is about 11 weeks old and parents generally continue to feed them until around week 16 so they better keep fishing for this little guy!

The eaglet is in the circle, the nest inside the square and the arrow point to the snag they like to perch on.

Posted Image

Video by eaglegal:
Rattlesnake Eaglet. June 8th, 12th & 13th, 2012

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
CHECKING ON THE FLEDGLING!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 20, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: This week, we have been keeping up with the fledging eaglets at Seal Rocks and Rattlesnake nest. All three seem to be doing just fine.

Finding the Rattlesnake chick is a bit more challenging because their canyon is much more lush and there are plenty of places to “hide” under.

See the chick??? Me neither! But I know it’s in those trees and probably looking at me.

Posted Image

I watched this chick for several hours on Sunday and again yesterday, and I was glad to see it move around the nest area. He begged pretty much the whole time but the parents arrived eventually.

Pete also checked on him last week and he got an even better picture!
Posted Image

And finally perched on his parents snag.
Posted Image

And speaking of the parents; over the weekend I got a call from the harbor patrol saying that there was a bald eagle in the water and they had sent a boat over to check it out. Minutes later they called me again and it turned out it was K47, the female from the RS pair that had gone the extra mile to get an extra large fish! Check it out!

Posted Image

She ended up completely soaked but I’m sure she didn’t mind if it meant gorging on such juicy fish!

Posted Image

Video by eaglegal:
K22 .. Exploring His Canyon

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
FLEDGLING SOARING & EXPLORING!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: I have been keeping tabs on the already fledged eaglets from the Rattlesnake and Seal Rocks Nests.

The RC chick, as usual, is harder to find because of all the tall trees in his area but I did get to spot him at last. Can you?
It’s just a little black figure among the trees…

Posted Image

Ok, now through the scope.

Posted Image

The second time I visited RC, I found one of the adults perching near the nest and it was a while before I heard K22 begging for food.

Posted Image

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
FLEDGLING IS STILL AROUND!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, July 4, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: I have been checking on K22, and on very hot days!

Hiking down the canyon ... Posted Image.....Looking into the canyon to the nest and their favorite snag ...Posted Image

After about an hour there, I finally spot K22 perching on a branch close to the water tank and the camp.

Let’s play the spotting game. Can you see him? ... Posted Image..... Posted Image.....Posted Image

As I was getting ready to leave, a couple of ravens perched near him and started harassing him… they are so daring!

Posted Image

Video by eaglegal:
The Rattlesnake Eaglet K22 July 1st, 2012

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the date.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Go to Next Page
« Previous Topic · Class of 2012 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic