Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Locked Topic
Pinnacle Rock Eagle's Nest 2011/2012; Sad News - Nest Failed.
Topic Started: Feb 16 2012, 11:30 AM (882 Views)
Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Posted Image
Santa Catalina Island, CA and the active bald eagle breeding territories in 2010.

As you know All Eagles All The Time 2011/2012 is an Archival/History in Videos and Still captures showing the various stages throughout the year in the lives of the Eagles on the EagleCams at Pelican Harbor (PH) Nest & Sauces Canyon (SC) Nest ... on Santa Cruz Island and Two Harbors (TH) Nest & West End (WE) Nest ... on Santa Catalina Island.

The other confirmed nests on Catalina Island are at Middle Ranch (MR) ... Pinnacle Rock (PR) ... Rattlesnake Canyon (RS) ... Seal Rocks (SR) and Twin Rocks (TR)

You can find out who is who at each nest by visiting the
Meet The Adult Pairs thread.

Because we still want to follow the events happening on these nests without cameras .. separate threads will be opened for each nest .. and I will be posting the links to the Catalina Updates, written by Dr. Peter Sharpe and Steffani Jijon ... along with the photos taken by Steffani ... so that members can easily access the current information.

This is the thread for This is the thread for Pinnacle Rock (PR).

Eagles Territories map taken from the Bald Eagle Restoration on the California Channel Islands. January - December 2010 9th Annual Report.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
PR - Pinnacle Rock Nest - Santa Catalina Island.

K-65/male & K-56/female

Breaking News! .. K-73 is the new male in K-56's life!

Posted Image

(Click on thumbnail to see full size)
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
UPDATES RE K-73 & K-56

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, February 2, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: I am back from vacation and fully energized for this busy upcoming breeding season!

On the day after my return, I visited a couple of nests to check for any nesting activity and have been checking nests ever since. I am proud to announce that all SEVEN CATALINA NESTS are active! Just a couple of weeks ago, the eagles were kind of visiting their territories but now, they are in full on breeding mode.

Every pair is using the same nest they used last year but there has been a mate switch on one of our pairs .. at the PR Nest.

If you recall, last years’ Pinnacle Rock nest consisted of K56 and K65. During the fall, the male, K65, had a physical encounter with the male from Seal Rocks, K25, and has not been seen since. His mate, K56, didn’t waste any time and has already found herself a new mate to breed with this season.
That mate is K73, a 5-year-old male and one of the West End Triplets from 2007!

Pinnacle Rock.

Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image

Video by eaglegal:
First Look at the NEW Pinnacle Rock Pair on Their Nest. Breeding Season 2012.

Below .. K56 waits for her mate .. K73 has arrived! They're working on a grass bowl
Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image.......Posted Image

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, February 8, 2012 :clk:

Steffani:This week, we have been checking all the nests regularly hoping for the first eggs of the season to be laid … but nothing yet.

They are all engaged and dedicated nest builders and we have observed the pairs mating regularly so we know we have many eggs coming our way!

At the Pinnacle Rocks Nest, an adult arranging sticks.
Posted Image

Because we weren’t sure if this pair would be using the same nest, due to the fact that it is a new male who will be breeding with K56, we had taken down our blind.
Now that we know they are staying in the same place, we rebuilt the observation blind so that they don’t notice us spying on them and also to shelter ourselves a little bit from the sun and wind.

Arrow points to the nest about a mile away
Posted Image

On Saturday.

Posted Image

(Pictures courtesy of Dr. Sharpe, Steffani and/or the IWS crew)

(Click on thumbnails to see full size)

For complete update, pictures and videos, click on the dates.
Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
EGG .. CITING NEWS!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 :clk:

Steffani:We have some EGGciting news for Catalina this time around. Yes, we have eggs! They have been laid 2-20 days earlier than last year, depending on the nest, but we expect variation from year to year.

We have been checking the nests almost every day hoping to see those precious little white eggs laying in the nest bowls.

The Pinnacle Rocks nest has been checked almost daily but up until Monday we hadn’t seen anything but an empty nest or a perching adult.

Posted Image.......Posted Image....... On Friday, still nothing … Posted Image

We thought that maybe because K73 is such a young male and first time breeder, they would take a little longer on laying eggs and getting started But! Yesterday morning I visited PR and I was able to see a single egg laying in the middle of that huge nest!

It is hard to judge the size of something that is so far away, but because we have actually been to all of the nests we can assure you, this is the largest Catalina nest, measuring at about 10ft long and 6ft across!

Posted Image.......Posted Image

I watched the nest for a few minutes and shortly after I arrived, I spotted the second adult flying around and also watched the perching adult take off and join her partner on a flight to the Palisades, leaving the egg unattended for several minutes!

I didn’t want to leave until I observed one of the adults return to watch over the egg when all of a sudden I saw this bird flying like a rocket in the direction of the nest. Sure enough, it was the female who probably realized leaving her egg by itself is not such a good idea especially because there are numerous ravens in the area and eggs would be a tasty meal for any of them.

It is normal for the eagles to not incubate their first egg right away. They tend to wait until the whole clutch has been laid to fully incubate their eggs in the hopes that they will all hatch at relatively the same time, so not to worry if, once TH and WE eagles lay their first eggs, they don’t sit on them right away; they know what they’re doing.

I also wanted to share with you a couple of the views of the hike up and down to the PR nest ... Breathtaking isn’t it?

:clk: Catalina Update: Thursday, February 23, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: The last thing I reported on the Pinnacle Rock nest was that they had one egg. Well, they lost that one. K56 laid a second egg and guess what? They lost that one too.

Posted Image

The good news is that Pete observed some behavior indicative that they will try once again so today I’m off to the PR territory to find out!

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
THIRD TIME LUCKY?

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: Last Thursday, our membership coordinator and dedicated volunteer, Nancee Wells, visited us on the island and came to the field with me to check on the nests that are not online. First, we hiked down to the Pinnacle Rock nest, keeping our fingers and toes crossed (figuratively of course, otherwise it’d have been very difficult to hike!) in the hopes of seeing not only an adult on the nest but an egg.

Upon our arrival we immediately saw an adult, K56, in the incubation position and got really excited so we waited until she stepped off the nest bowl so we could confirm a third egg. You see, she laid an egg a couple of weeks ago but lost it. Then she laid another egg, and lost it again. We had seen signs that they’d try again and they have!

It was a really hot morning, we couldn’t really get a good look at the egg because of the heat waves
Posted Image..... The view from the PR blind --> Posted Image

So… on Friday, I went back! It was a little foggy this time but it is clearly a single egg.

And this is just a couple of days ago.

Let’s hope they hatch this egg!
Posted Image

Video by eaglegal: Pinnacle Rock Nest Incubating a Single Egg for the Third Time. Feb., 22nd-28th, 2012

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
MARCH UPDATES

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 7, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: The Pinnacle Rock nest. They still have one egg and this time I spotted the second adult perched at the very end of their territory.

On Monday, I checked them again and she was still incubating one egg

Video by eaglegal:
Pinnacle Rock Nest Incubating a Single Egg. March 1st, 2012

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 14, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: Last week, Pete went out to the field and continued to check on the nests because I got very sick and wasn’t able to work.
He confirmed there were still two eggs in Seal Rocks, one at Pinnacle Rock and two at Rattlesnake. Yesterday, I went out to do nest checks as well and everything seems to have stayed the same.

Posted Image

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 21, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: We have also been checking on the Pinnacle Rock. According to our observations, their egg is due to hatch on the 29th so we still have over a week.

Posted Image

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, March 28, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: We have been checking on Pinnacle Rock as well and according to our observations, the chick should be hatching some time tomorrow so I’ll go spend some time out there hoping to see a chick or a least some hatching activity.

Offline Profile Goto Top

Cumbrian
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
APRIL & MAY UPDATES

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 4, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: The Pinnacle Rock egg’s due date was last Thursday.
We have been monitoring that nest very closely but unfortunately, they seem to still be incubating a single egg.

The PR nest on a very cloudy and windy day
On Thursday .... Posted Image....... Clearing up a bit .... Posted Image

On Friday ... K73 rolling and incubating. Posted Image

Finally he moves away but all we see is one egg ... Posted Image

On Monday ... Still one egg. Posted Image....... And today, still one egg. Posted Image

Video by eaglegal:
Pinnacle Rock Nest. Still a Single Egg on March 29th & April 2nd, 2012. And a Quick View of K15!

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: All of the eight Catalina chicks are doing great and their parents are trying to keep up with their demanding appetites!

After checking SR I normally check on Pinnacle Rocks too.
The PR adults continue to incubate their single egg, however, by now we assume that it isn’t fertile (even if the third egg broke and this happened to be the forth one), so it most likely won’t hatch. Eventually, they’ll realize that it’s been too long and will give up; until then we will keep checking.

Posted Image

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: Over the weekend, we experienced some storms and some very heavy winds. We noticed on the cameras that the parents were taking really good care of their chicks during this rough weather so there’s no need to worry about them but still, one does…

I checked on the Pinnacle Rock nest on Monday as well and this time there was no egg; it finally disappeared. I did find the adult on the nest and because this viewpoint is so far away, it was hard to tell if she was shading something on not. To be on the safe side, I watched until the adult moved.

Within the hour, she had moved around, left the nest and eventually come back.

Definitely no chick on the nest :(

Posted Image
......Empty PR nest

:clk: Catalina Update: Wednesday, May 9, 2012 :clk:

Steffani: Yesterday, I took some time to hike down to the Pinnacle Rock blind and remove the camouflage and the chair we use to monitor this nest.
We’ll put it in storage and hope that we will need it next year because we keep our hope ups for K56 and K73!

Offline Profile Goto Top

« Previous Topic · Class of 2012 · Next Topic »
Locked Topic