Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Santa Cruz Update
Topic Started: Feb 19 2014, 01:06 PM (1,528 Views)
IWS Crew
Advanced Member
Hey All,

We're finally back in full swing on the Northern Channel islands. I apologize for the hiatus in weekly updates, but over the past few months I’ve been spending more time on camera/truck/ATV/boat maintenance and repair than I have on eagle watching. Thankfully we’re now back into nesting season, and we have a full crew back on the islands. Last week I was training two new techs that will be working with me on Santa Cruz island for the majority of the season. Lindsay and Ania will be sharing duties on Santa Cruz, and Yozora will be spending every other week on San Miguel. Maria will be helping us out up north as well. She’ll be going out to Santa Barbara island to check on a few Peregrine nests for about a week every month. All in all, it’s going to be a very busy season.

As you all know, the Sauces pair is already incubating. It seems that the eagles on the northern islands have started things a bit earlier this year. Maybe it’s the summer-like weather, or maybe they’re expecting a wet March (we hope so!), and are trying to beat the rains. Anyhow, the Malva Real pair is also getting a head-start on things. I found them incubating last tour, and if everything goes well, they could be hatching as early as mid-March.

Malva nest incubating
Posted Image

Last week, James and Nate (the new guys) and I were able to get on the boat for a day. We made it all the way out to Cueva Valdez, but found the pair hanging out together along the shoreline, apparently not yet incubating. They were very late last season as well, so this wasn’t much of a surprise. We also found the Fry’s harbor birds in a similar situation. This pair didn’t actually lay any eggs last year, but we have high hopes for them this season.

On the way back from Cueva, we also spotted A-27 in the Lady’s harbor area! Unfortunately my camera had quit working by this point in our cruise, so I wasn’t able to get any photos, but she looked healthy. We’re hoping she’s staking out the area, looking for a potential mate. We’ve actually had an eagle nest here in the past (originally the Cueva pair nested here), so there’s a nest already started and ready to go!

On the cruise out, and before my camera died on me, we found A-72 hanging out near Pelican Harbor. He fledged in 2010 from the Cueva nest, and is now just getting old enough to think about finding a mate. We’ll keep an eye out for him on our next boat trip. Maybe he’ll make his way down to Lady’s harbor and find A-27.

A-72
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have more good new. The Fraser point pair also appears to be incubating! Last Wednesday we hiked out to check on them, and found one bird on the nest, while the other perched for over 2 hours in the cliffs above. We were never close enough to get tag numbers, so for now we’re assuming it was A-49 on the nest, while A-64 stood watch, but we’ll do our best to confirm next week (along with some photos).

The Pelican harbor pair (K-10 and K-26) don’t seem to be incubating yet, but we did see both of them in the vicinity of the 2012 nest. It looks as though they may be working on a new nest just a few dozen yards from the old one. Unfortunately it’s too late for us to move the camera without disturbing the birds, but we’ll be watching them closely.

Anyhow, last week was a great start to what we hope will be a very busy season. We have high-hopes for all. Until next week.

IWS Crew
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

amethyst
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
>O< Yay, all great news!!!!!! Thank you!

Good luck this nesting season and stay safe, be careful!

summer818
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thank you everyone!!! I'm so happy to know the crew is in place, with updates on our beloved SCI/Anacapa/SM/SR Islands. This is great news about A49 & A64, and I'm so happy that sweet A27 is okay! Hope she finds love.

Have a great week!!!

KareninSoCali
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
So nice to hear news about A27 and that she is doing well! Praying she finds a mate soon! <3 Also, wonderful news about A49 and A64! Praying they have a successful nesting season this year! A64 is a favorite of mine since that was the 1st year I watched the Channel Islands nests and PH was the one I watched the most. And of course, A49 is a very special lady :) Did you see any sign of Sapphire, A89? Praying she stays on the islands and finds a mate there when she is old enough :)

Thanks for the update! Praying they all have a successful season! Can't wait for lots of :^: :^: :^: !!!

IWS ROCKS!!

klemon
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thanks so much for the wonderful update. You all do so much for us and the wildlife. Welcome back IWS crew.

Kathy
Southern Illinois :egg: :lol: :<<o>>:

raycyn
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Darned PH pair, they just don't love us LOL. So so glad you were able to see A27 and that she is okay, we all love her and are so glad that she stuck around. I do hope she finds a new mate soon.

Thanks for all your hard work and the wonderful update - glad you have some good help there too. Thanks again for all you do.

Cindyja in Oregon
<3 <3 <3 :<<o>>: :egg: :egg: :egg:

sunnyland7
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
YAY IWS :><: What a good report :><:
So great you saw A27 - A72 - A49 - A64 - K10 amd K26 and A27 /

Those rascals K10 and K26 / So illusive /

Praying for a good year!!!!!!!!!!!Appreciate your work and our eagles /

marshaz
Advanced Member
IWS Crew, great job and thank for the wonderful news! Here we go with egg season!!!!!! :D

DawnGlo
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
HOORAY!!! So happy K-10 and K-26 have been spotted!!!!! Doing the happyhappyjoyjoy dance here! :**: :**:

cdn-cdn
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thank you so much for all the nesting news. It makes my heart soar. Hoping for the best for all during this new nesting season. The best part for me was reading that A-27 is OK.

Patti
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thank you for the great news. Wonderful news all the way around and great that you'll have a big IWS Team!

Especially thrilled about A27. I have such special feelings toward her. Maybe she's better with a new fella...if and when she hooks up with one. Good luck you wonderful eagle! <3

Patti
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
:Hugs: Cheryl, we must have been reading one another's minds! Hello to you!

Kate5555
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Dave Thanks for the Update and all the hard work you do behind the scenes.

Lindsay, Ania and Yozora Welcome back!

James and Nate ... Glad you're on board. Welcome to the IWS Crew.

Glad Maria will be able to venture off of Catalina and spend some time on Santa Barbara Island.

Wonderful news on A27 and the PH pair - although disappointed they aren't on cam.

EagleNut
Advanced Member
Looks like we are off to a good start. I am thrilled K10 and K26 have been spotted and are ok. But they are rascals. And A49? Very exciting news. Thanx for the wonderful report.

elgan
Advanced Member
Great update thank you for all you do.

Wonderful to hear 27 is okay & hope she finds a new mate soon.

Take care out there & yes some rain would be great!

:soar: :soar: :soar:

« Previous Topic · IWS Updates · Next Topic »
Add Reply