Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Welcome to CHIL EagleCAM. We hope you enjoy your visit.

You're currently viewing our forum as a guest. This means you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use. If you join our community, you'll be able to access member-only sections, and use many member-only features such as customizing your profile, sending personal messages, and voting in polls. Registration is simple, fast, and completely free.

Join our community!

If you're already a member please log in to your account to access all of our features:

Username:   Password:
Add Reply
Santa Cruz Update; February 25 - March 4
Topic Started: Mar 6 2014, 09:38 AM (2,142 Views)
IWS Crew
Advanced Member
Hey All,

Last week was a wet and productive week on Santa Cruz island. We ended up getting over 5 inches of rain over three days, but did manage to check on a few eagle nests on the days that weren’t so wet.

The Fraser point pair (A-49 and A-64) were still incubating as of last Wednesday. They laid pretty early this year, so we should be expecting them to hatch within the next couple weeks.

Good news! The Pelican Harbor birds (K-10 and K-26) have also started incubating. Toward the end of last nesting season, Helen spotted a new nest in the vicinity of the Pelican pair’s 2012 nest. The new nest is only about 100m away from the 2012 nest, and it looks to be in a much healthier tree (the old nest tree is mostly dead). Hopefully they’ll commit to this one for several years, and stop jumping around from nest to nest. Late last week, I was able to see both birds taking a turn at incubating, but was unable to see how many eggs were in the nest. I did manage to get this shot of the pair while they perched together for a short time during an incubation switch.

Posted Image

They probably laid sometime during the last week of February, so we’ll be looking for hatching around the last week in March, or possibly early April.

Speaking of hatching, it’s already happened in the Malva nest! I was able to get out there on Monday, after the roads had dried up enough and we were finally able to really get back to work. We knew the Malva pair seemed to be incubating quite early this year, but it was still a surprise when I saw a little downey head bobbing around in the nest. Our OP for this nest is a fair bit away, so I wasn’t able to get any usable pictures, but the chick looked to be about 2 or 3 days old. I’m also not ruling out the possibility there could be more than one hatchling. At that age, they’re pretty hard to see.

Anyhow, that’s about all we were able to see this week. The weather forecast for next week is looking much ‘better’, so hopefully it’ll be business as usual on Santa Cruz. Until then, I’ll leave you with a couple shots of the newly restored wetland at Prisoners Harbor. As far as I know, this is the first time since restoration that it has been full of water (for the better part of the last century, it was a sheep corral). Native wetlands have become a rare habitat in coastal California, so seeing this one full of water is a real treat.

Posted Image

Posted Image

IWS Crew
Offline Profile Quote Post Goto Top

raycyn
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thank you so much for the wonderful update! So excited PH pair are incubating - maybe cam switch over the summer (hopefully it would not scare them off1), and glad the found a "good" tree for a change. also excited for A49 & 64 - special pair - excited for all our beautiful eagles actually. Here's hoping for a very successful season on Santa Cruz.

Wetlands restoration too - awesome! Hope to get to Prisoners one of these days.

Cindyja in Oregon
<3 <3 <3 :<<o>>:

amethyst
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
WOW! WOW! and WOW!!!!! Thank you!

KareninSoCali
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
:**: :**: :**: :**: YAY!!!!!!! Such awesome news!!! Congrats to the Malva pair on their hatchling (s??)!! And soooooo eggcited about K26 and K10!!!!! Have a question, tho. If they do stick around at this nest, will the cam be moved to that location? I know it wouldn't be for this nesting season as its too late for that and you would be disturbing them but for next season maybe?

Also, so eggcited for A49 and A64!!!! The Princess and her Prince! :><: >O<

Thanks so much for the awesome update! Oh and LOVE the wetlands! Hope it continues to have water there for years to come :) And maybe soon there were be lots of wetland birds building nests there, also, if they are not already. :)

IWS ROCKS!!

klemon
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Super WOW's ! What a wonderful report. Good to see PH pair again and a bobble head at Malva already. Thanks so much for all you do IWS crew. <3

Kathy in
Southern Illinois

SoCal Lady
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
SUPER DUPER NEWS INDEED!!!!! :egg: :egg: AND :^: :^::><: :**: :><: :**:

ojailala
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
I am so happy that K-10 and K-26 have come home… back to where we all started on this forum. I too hope they stay here and that a camera can be used for the next season. A-49… what can I say… we all love that bird… glad she picked my name-sake for her new home… Frazier-Fraser… all the same to me... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Wonderful that the Malva pair are leading the way with their new chick.. I am just so happy about todays report and I thank you again and again for your hard work in getting this information to us.

sunnyland7
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
IWS CREW
Wonderful news :**:
How great for Malva to have a chick!!!!!
Glad Pelican Harbor found :><: :><:
Good luck to A49 and A64 :X:
Hope your wet land is successful.

Keep safe !

LBtheScot
Advanced Member
Hope to be able to watch my favorite paiir, 10 and 26, again next year!!

marshaz
Advanced Member
Thanks IWS Crew!!!!

Wonderful news of a hatching on Malva Nest/ :**:

The wetland pictures are beautiful.

Manu244
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
THANKS IWS CREW FOR THE FANTASTIC UPDATE! They're always great - but news of a Hatching :hatch: , "THE PAIR" :<<o>>: :<<o>>: , and the PRINCESS <3 always gets a CRUZER'S attention! Wow - K10 & K26 back near the original stomping grounds.......possibly a 2014 D**** March to PH could be in the Cards?????? I'm practicing my Darth Vader breathing sounds already! :D

summer818
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Woo Hoo Malva Pair. Congratulations. K10 & K26. And A49 Pgincess Cruz & A64 Spirit I can't wait to hear about your new arrival. ❤️ Great News.

Troth
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Great, great news about our beloved HM Princes Cruz, I love K10 and K26 and their historic A-49...hope Cruz and Spirit stay put and a cam can be put on their nest in the future. What a wonderful ending for A-49's legacy, she stayed and is now repopulating the area with little Spirited Prince and Princess.

Patti
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thanks for the great update! So good to see K26 & K10 perched together. Good to know that they're expecting another grandchild too. :D

Looking forward to more news....and the wetland area is wonderful!

cdn-cdn
Member Avatar
Advanced Member
Thank you, thank you! My heart is soaring! :<<o>>: :<<o>>:

« Previous Topic · IWS Updates · Next Topic »
Add Reply